Author Topic: help me please-i think i had sodium overload  (Read 3747 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
help me please-i think i had sodium overload
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
i just ate my med pizza and small order of wings...but now my fingers feel swelled and hot and sore...and my face feels very flushed and my stomach feels weighted down...i feel better lying on my back holding my laptop against my knees a i type this

i have suffered from high blood pressure in past years

could this be high blood pressure acting up from the sodium in my cheat meal?

help!
w

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: help me please-i think i had sodium overload
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »
i just ate my med pizza and small order of wings...but now my fingers feel swelled and hot and sore...and my face feels very flushed and my stomach feels weighted down...i feel better lying on my back holding my laptop against my knees a i type this

help!

that's a little odd... the swelling is indicative of edema, which means potential kidney problems.  Or you're having an allergic reaction.  OR... you're having an anxiety attack and freaking out over nothing.  I'd go with the latter.  Junk food makes me feel like shit.  Your body prefers healthy food, be glad. 

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »

help!
you'll be ok and back to brutalizing the heavy iron again on Monday, Big Gene.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »
Take a shit, you'll be fine after that.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:35:30 PM »
that's a little odd... the swelling is indicative of edema, which means potential kidney problems.  Or you're having an allergic reaction.  OR... you're having an anxiety attack and freaking out over nothing.  I'd go with the latter.  Junk food makes me feel like shit.  Your body prefers healthy food, be glad. 
omg kidney probs ???
what is this edema??? whata re the symptoms???

you'll be ok and back to brutalizing the heavy iron again on Monday, Big Gene.
thank u quaker u are a true friend to me on here
w

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »
omg kidney probs ???
what is this edema??? whata re the symptoms???
thank u quaker u are a true friend to me on here

edema: Edema (American English) or Oedema (British English Greek οίδημα), formerly known as dropsy or hydropsy, is an abnormal accumulation of fluid beneath the skin, or in one or more cavities of the body. Generally, the amount of interstitial fluid is determined by the balance of fluid homeostasis, and increased secretion of fluid into the interstitium or impaired removal of this fluid may cause edema.

Five factors can contribute to the formation of edema. It may be facilitated by increased hydrostatic pressure or reduced oncotic pressure within blood vessels, increased blood vessel wall permeability as in inflammation, obstruction of fluid clearance via the lymphatic or changes in the water retaining properties of the tissues themselves. Raised hydrostatic pressure often reflects retention of water and sodium by the kidney.[1]

also, salt makes you retain water...

also, are your hands really swollen or do they just feel swollen?  i've seen dieters get anxiety attacks from cheat meals many times.  Rapid heart beat, weird feeling in stmach, increased bp, tunnel vision, paranoia (like wondering about a sodium overload)... nothing wrong with it, happens to everyone.  Have a glass of wine and go for a walk.  you have some energy to burn it seems to me.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:48:10 PM »
edema: Edema (American English) or Oedema (British English Greek οίδημα), formerly known as dropsy or hydropsy, is an abnormal accumulation of fluid beneath the skin, or in one or more cavities of the body. Generally, the amount of interstitial fluid is determined by the balance of fluid homeostasis, and increased secretion of fluid into the interstitium or impaired removal of this fluid may cause edema.

Five factors can contribute to the formation of edema. It may be facilitated by increased hydrostatic pressure or reduced oncotic pressure within blood vessels, increased blood vessel wall permeability as in inflammation, obstruction of fluid clearance via the lymphatic or changes in the water retaining properties of the tissues themselves. Raised hydrostatic pressure often reflects retention of water and sodium by the kidney.[1]

also, salt makes you retain water...

also, are your hands really swollen or do they just feel swollen?  i've seen dieters get anxiety attacks from cheat meals many times.  Rapid heart beat, weird feeling in stmach, increased bp, tunnel vision, paranoia (like wondering about a sodium overload)... nothing wrong with it, happens to everyone.  Have a glass of wine and go for a walk.  you have some energy to burn it seems to me.
thank u for the info traps
they just feel swollen-theya re not actually swollen
w

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »
thank u for the info traps
they just feel swollen-theya re not actually swollen

I believe this is how it started for the Boston Strangler

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »

help!

Help yourself to a great handful of cashews and put on a fresh T shirt, Gene - it will instantly make you have a great day!

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
This is whats going to happen now.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »

help!

High Blood pressure...same thing happens to me if I eat sodium laden products, which is why I avoid them, and I have High blood pressure. lay off the pizza, that mess is nothing but a sodium pit (and yes I LOVE pepperoni pizza)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
High Blood pressure...same thing happens to me if I eat sodium laden products, which is why I avoid them, and I have High blood pressure. lay off the pizza, that mess is nothing but a sodium pit (and yes I LOVE pepperoni pizza)

especially if it is frozen.  don't even look at the box if you've gotten drunk and eaten a frozen pizza, it will terrify you.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
especially if it is frozen.  don't even look at the box if you've gotten drunk and eaten a frozen pizza, it will terrify you.

Man, I went thru a time where I was looking on every box and bottle, and I became depressed at the amount of sodium in EVERYTHING. Even in Salad Dressing (Low Sodium---yeah right). How can I eat a salad trying to be healthy when there is more Sodium in the salad dressing than what I'm allowed to have? I swear, They killl with the food, and when you try to eat healthy they kill you wallet.

I firmly believe that the Food Industry could do alot better in finding salt substitutes or doing away with Sodium in it products. After all High Blood pressure and heart disease are the number one killers.     

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 08:58:53 PM »
Man, I went thru a time where I was looking on every box and bottle, and I became depressed at the amount of sodium in EVERYTHING. Even in Salad Dressing (Low Sodium---yeah right). How can I eat a salad trying to be healthy when there is more Sodium in the salad dressing than what I'm allowed to have? I swear, They killl with the food, and when you try to eat healthy they kill you wallet.

I firmly believe that the Food Industry could do alot better in finding salt substitutes or doing away with Sodium in it products. After all High Blood pressure and heart disease are the number one killers.     

my nephrologist told me that not all sodium is created equal.  like the sodium in meat won't screw with you as bad as the sodium in frozen food.  he said to always watch it, but preservatives are the bad stuff.  I have a kidney issue (non bodybuilding related for the record), and have to take blood pressure meds.  cozaar and hctz.  Here's a sample of my diet (i had gone pescatarian, but it was getting too expensive inthe down economy):

breakfast:

whote wheat bread with pb
cup cottage cheese (lotta sodium, but it makes me feel good in the morning, a compromise)
1/4 lb ground turkey patty

snack:
snack size tuna cup
celery, carrots, broc

lunch: 
chicken breast
1/2 large sweet potato or brown rice
cup broc

snack:
celery, carrots, broc
1/2 chicken breast

Dinner:

huge salad with balsamic vinagrette
8oz some sort of fish
cup broc
some piece of fruit

snack: fruit or egg whites or peanuts (unsalted obviously)

Yeah, it's bland as shit, but at least I'm healthy.   I usually throw something else in there during the day that gives me some more "bad"-ness, but i keep it clean.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »
my nephrologist told me that not all sodium is created equal.  like the sodium in meat won't screw with you as bad as the sodium in frozen food.  he said to always watch it, but preservatives are the bad stuff.  I have a kidney issue (non bodybuilding related for the record), and have to take blood pressure meds.  cozaar and hctz.  Here's a sample of my diet (i had gone pescatarian, but it was getting too expensive inthe down economy):

breakfast:

whote wheat bread with pb
cup cottage cheese (lotta sodium, but it makes me feel good in the morning, a compromise)
1/4 lb ground turkey patty

snack:
snack size tuna cup
celery, carrots, broc

lunch: 
chicken breast
cup broc

snack:
celery, carrots, broc
1/2 chicken breast

Dinner:

huge salad with balsamic vinagrette
8oz some sort of fish
cup broc
some piece of fruit

snack: fruit or egg whites or peanuts (unsalted obviously)

Yeah, it's bland as shit, but at least I'm healthy.   I usually throw something else in there during the day that gives me some more "bad"-ness, but i keep it clean.

I should try this.  I have one kidney (no one knows if it was due to a hard hitl or I only had one at birth), and I am at stage 3 of 5 for kidney disease. And I take 4 diff kinds of meds.

I was eating Broc. and such in the beginning, but I wasn't gaining weight back (down to 118 pounds-I was 180 pounds). So now my diet is all over the place. But Really should be stringent in my eating habits and diet. And I love frying up some egg whites and sausage.

Starting this Sun, I will start eating a similar diet

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »
This is whats going to happen now.

fuckin chuck norris

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
I should try this.  I have one kidney (no one knows if it was due to a hard hitl or I only had one at birth), and I am at stage 3 of 5 for kidney disease. And I take 4 diff kinds of meds.

I was eating Broc. and such in the beginning, but I wasn't gaining weight back (down to 118 pounds-I was 180 pounds). So now my diet is all over the place. But Really should be stringent in my eating habits and diet. And I love frying up some egg whites and sausage.

Starting this Sun, I will start eating a similar diet

i eat hard boiled egg whites and actual ground turkey, not ground turkey sausage.  if you fry your egg whites in smart balance, i'm sure you'd be fine though (just watch the sodium, as you know).

my kidney thing is undiagnosed, just something they haev to watch (since i was 14, i'm 26 now).  I have an elevated red blood cell count in my urine which indicates irritation, but they've never been concerned enough to do a biopsy.  So i just take the meds as a precautionary measure.  what meds do you take if you don't mind my asking? you can pm if you like.

btw, that sucks about your fluctuating weight.  my buddy's dad had an ecoli infection go to his kidneys, and he went from 160-115 in 3 weeks!  scary shit man.