Author Topic: anyone seen the movie the watchmen ?  (Read 1605 times)

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
Re: anyone seen the movie the watchmen ?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 08:21:34 AM »
Major comic-booky word 
hell yeah it is

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »
Trailer looked good but after the reviews I think I'll wait for it to come out on blu ray.  Plus I'm afraid to go to the theater.  Too many year 18 year old beasts in tapout and afflictions shirts.
\

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »
Today Society IS the villian, and who makes up Society? People do.

That's why a lot of people either can't or won't get the movie's point. Many of our morals are based upon the superstition that some higher power is judging and will eventually render punishment.

Moral behavior based upon fear alone is an interesting concept.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
Me and my brother were going to see it this afternoon, Now I'm not so sure.   i'll just watch cars go around in a circle instead

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 08:30:38 AM »
That's why a lot of people either can't or won't get the movie's point. Many of our morals are based upon the superstition that some higher power is judging and will eventually render punishment.

Moral behavior based upon fear alone is an interesting concept.

dude, no need to call fat panda a fucking moron.
Deep Tissue Massage

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »
Hahaha, to those who thought it was too boring.

It's not X-men you dolts! :D

The movie is based on the Watchmen-story by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, and it was a very good filmatisation of the book.
Q

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
like I said.  You're a fool...and you're meltingdown

::)

and this was a calm disagreement:

interesting opinion, although its safe to say no one with intelligence agrees with you. Say want you want about the film but criticizing the story just exposes you as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about

Watchmen received critical praise, both inside and outside of the comics industry. Time, which noted that the series was "by common assent the best of breed" of the new wave of comics published at the time, praised Watchmen as "a superlative feat of imagination, combining sci-fi, political satire, knowing evocations of comics past and bold reworkings of current graphic formats into a dysutopian [sic] mystery story."[58] In 1988, Watchmen received a Hugo Award in the Other Forms category.[59] Since its release, Watchmen has garnered acclaim as a seminal work of the comic book medium. In Art of the Comic Book: An Aesthetic History, Robert Harvey wrote that with Watchmen, Moore and Gibbons "had demonstrated as never before the capacity of the [comic book] medium to tell a sophisticated story that could be engineered only in comics".[60] In his review of the Absolute Edition of the collection, Dave Itzkoff of The New York Times wrote that the dark legacy of Watchmen, "one that Moore almost certainly never intended, whose DNA is encoded in the increasingly black inks and bleak storylines that have become the essential elements of the contemporary superhero comic book," is "a domain he has largely ceded to writers and artists who share his fascination with brutality but not his interest in its consequences, his eagerness to tear down old boundaries but not his drive to find new ones."[61] In 1999, The Comics Journal ranked Watchmen at number 91 on its list of the Top 100 English-Language Comics of the 20th Century.[62] Watchmen was the only graphic novel to appear on Time's 2005 "All-TIME 100 Greatest Novels" list.[63] Time critic Lev Grossman described the story as "a heart-pounding, heartbreaking read and a watershed in the evolution of a young medium."[64] In 2008, Entertainment Weekly placed it at number 13 on its list of the best 50 novels printed in the last 25 years, describing it as "The greatest superhero story ever told and proof that comics are capable of smart, emotionally resonant narratives worthy of the label literature."[65] In 2009 Lydia Millet of The Wall Street Journal contested that Watchmen was worthy of such acclaim, and wrote that while the series' "vividly drawn panels, moody colors and lush imagery make its popularity well-deserved, if disproportionate", that "it's simply bizarre to assert that, as an illustrated literary narrative, it rivals in artistic merit, say, masterpieces like Chris Ware's 'Acme Novelty Library' or almost any part of the witty and brilliant work of Edward Gorey".[66]
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 09:00:55 AM »
dude, no need to call fat panda a fucking moron.

you must be quite the moron, as the film has nothing to do with superstition and higher powers  ::)

its to do with fear and how it manipulates the public - in a post 9/11 america i would have thought this would have jumped out and slapped you across the face like the weekend footlongs you are used too, clearly i was mistaken.
175lbs by 31st July

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
you must be quite the moron, as the film has nothing to do with superstition and higher powers  ::)

its to do with fear and how it manipulates the public - in a post 9/11 america i would have thought this would have jumped out and slapped you across the face like the weekend footlongs you are used too, clearly i was mistaken.

where did i mention superstition and higher powers you dickhead?
Deep Tissue Massage

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 10:21:31 AM »
where did i mention superstition and higher powers you dickhead?

hahahahaha owned
175lbs by 31st July

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
::)

and this was a calm disagreement:

I'm perfectly calm, dude.

Superboy Prime

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 01:23:17 PM »
hell yeah it is

SHAZAM!!! Fucking great stuff from the 70's!! :D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »
it was a good movie a little long, and missing key plot points from the comics. hahaha we starting calling our friend "blue cock".  because he was complaining, after the movie, that he didn't need to see cock every couple of minutes. he says it was disgusting. hahaha
A