Author Topic: Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer Moved to Alabama  (Read 771 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer Moved to Alabama
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:08:02 AM »
 Sherdog reports that the Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer boxing match that New Jersey refused to sanction has been moved:

Speaking with Sherdog.com, promoter Monte Cox announced the six-round heavyweight fight would be rescheduled for June 13 in Alabama as the main event of Adrenaline III. The hybrid boxing-mixed martial arts event will be held at the 17,000-seat BJCC arena in Birmingham.

Cox confirmed that Alabama does not have a regulatory body to oversee the fight.

Pretty hinky of Monte Cox to take a fight that was turned down by one of the leading Athletic Commissions in the U.S. and move it to a venue with no regulation.

Something tells me Big Tim hasn't been paying that close attention to the boxing ranks lately, from MMA Mania:

"I didn't have an MMA fight until July in the Affliction 3 (show), and we really wanted to fight before then. This opportunity came about - and I've always wanted to try boxing at a pro level - so we decided to take it and see what happens. I'm jumping in the deep end. I never have (done things half way). Look at the heavyweight (MMA) division; I've fought about seven of the Top 10. So I might as well jump right in there and fight a guy that's ranked in the Top 20 in the world."

BE boxing guru Brent Brookhouse added this comment:

...honestly probably not since he lost back to back fights to Lewis/Holyfield in 95/96. He beat up some cans, had a brief retirement and lost to Wlad Klitschko in 2002. I guess someone may have called him a top 20 guy at that point, but even that was a stretch.

Now Mercer since his most recent comeback is 2-1 against guys who aren’t top shelf guys. So yeah, since 2007 he lost a fight, beat a scrub and won a 6 round fight by majority decision. Obviously the mark of a top 20 boxer.

BigMenace

• Getbig II
Re: Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer Moved to Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:59:33 PM »
I hope Mercer beats his ass

Mrdibbs

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
I hope Mercer beats his ass

Is that man actually still living?

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »
Is that man actually still living?

I'm not sure.

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »
I think Mercer stop living last year.  I think the plan is to prop him up in the ring ....  like they did in that movie "Weekend at Bernie's".....?

Probably find Time Sylvia will still lose a split decision?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
Assuming Mercer isn't a completely washed up and punch drunk fighter, I see Ray by KO. Ray may not take a fight against some mma dude seriously, however, and get beat up. We'll see. I just know Timmy better no be bragging about his boxing after fighting a 50+ year old fighter. Win this and then fight a real contender HW, and I'll give Timmy his props.
!