Author Topic: war on drugs....insane?  (Read 988 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
war on drugs....insane?
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:13:12 AM »
Editor's note: Jack Cafferty is the author of a new book, "Now or Never: Getting Down to the Business of Saving Our American Dream." He provides commentary on CNN's "The Situation Room" daily from 4 to 7 p.m. ET. You can also visit Jack's Cafferty File blog.

Jack Cafferty says America's effort to prohibit illegal drugs doesn't work and should be rethought.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Here's something to think about:

How many police officers and sheriff's deputies are involved in investigating and solving crimes involving illegal drugs? And arresting and transporting and interrogating and jailing the suspects?

How many prosecutors and their staffs spend time prosecuting drug cases? How many defense lawyers spend their time defending drug suspects?

How many hours of courtroom time are devoted to drug trials? How many judges, bailiffs, courtroom security officers, stenographers, etc., spend their time on drug trials?

How many prison cells are filled with drug offenders? And how many corrections officers does it take to guard them? How much food do these convicts consume?

And when they get out, how many parole and probation officers does it take to supervise their release? And how many ex-offenders turn right around and do it again?

So how's this war on drugs going?

Someone described insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time. That's a perfect description of the war on drugs.
The United States is the largest illegal drug market in the world. Americans want their weed, crack, cocaine, heroin, whatever. And they're willing to pay big money to get it.

The drug suppliers are only too happy to oblige. The Mexican drug cartels now have operations in 230 American cities. That's 230 American cities!

And we're not just talking about border towns, but places such as Anchorage, Alaska; Boston, Massachusetts; Atlanta, Georgia; and Billings, Montana. They're everywhere. And they don't just bring drugs, but violence and crime as well -- lots of it at no extra charge.

They have been able to infiltrate those 230 cities because we have not bothered to secure our borders. In addition to illegal aliens who come here to work and avail themselves of our social programs, we have criminals from Mexico bringing drugs in, taking money and guns back, and recruiting American kids into their criminal enterprises while they're here.

What do you suppose the total price tag is for this failed war on drugs? One senior Harvard economist estimates we spend $44 billion a year fighting the war on drugs. He says if they were legal, governments would realize about $33 billion a year in tax revenue. Net swing of $77 billion. Could we use that money today for something else? You bet your ass we could. Plus the cartels would be out of business. Instantly. Goodbye crime and violence.

If drugs were legalized, we could empty out a lot of our prison cells. People will use this stuff whether it's legal or not. Just like they do booze. And you could make the argument that in some cases alcohol is just as dangerous as some drugs. I know.

Like I said ... something to think about. It's time.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jack Cafferty.
E-mail to a friend   
Share this on:
Mixx
Digg

Facebook

del.icio.us

reddit

StumbleUpon

MySpace
 | Mixx it | Share

All About Illegal Drugs • Law Enforcement • Cocaine

Sound Off: Your opinions and comments Post a comment | iReport.com: Put your thoughts on video
Post a comment
    Name
Comment

Submit

From the Blogs: Controversy, commentary, and debate Sit tight, we're getting to the good stuff
powered by Sphere

Top News
 World leaders meet to talk about economy crisis  Ticker: Mrs. Obama heads to Europe

Most Viewed Most Emailed Top Searches

1 Cold Case: Chuck Mauk 2 Hospital fires 15 in octuplet case 3 Will April Fool's virus hit you? 4 Commentary: War on drugs is insane 5 Commentary: Adopting kids in U.S. 6 Light in sky likely rocket booster 7 Former Khmer Rouge leader on trial 8 Hundreds feared dead off Libya 9 Coming: Skype for the iPhone 10 Plant recalls pistachios  more most popular »
1 Skype for iPhone -- it's official 2 'Python Patrol' targets giant snakes... 3 Commentary: Our schools get lousy grades 4 Can Second Life help teach doctors to... 5 California plant recalls 1 million... 6 Autism teacher celebrates every gain 7 Aging Manson 'Family' members long... 8 Michelle Obama: Happiness tied to how... 9 Crabs 'feel and remember pain'... 10 No joke in April Fool's Day computer...  more most popular »
1 rihanna 2 chris brown 3 caylee anthony 4 aig 5 mexico 6 obama 7 facebook 8 octuplets 9 stimulus 10 china  more most popular »

Most Viewed Most Emailed Top Searches

more most popular »
 more most popular »
1 video 2 obama 3 mexico 4 china 5 moos 6 marijuana 7 north korea 8 pakistan 9 cnn's american morning 10 nancy grace  more most popular »

1 Iraq 2 Nadya Suleman 3 Economy Tracker - from CNN.com 4 Computer Crime 5 General Motors Corporation  more most popular »

• Part Time Jobs
• Sales & Marketing Jobs
• Customer Service Jobs
Quick Job Search

keyword(s):
enter city:

State-------ALAKAZARCACOCTDEDCFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRRISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWY State 

State ------- AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE DC FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA PR RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY  Job type-----------------AccountingAdmin & ClericalAutomotiveBankin gBiotechBroadcast - JournalismBusiness DevelopmentConstructionC onsultantCustomer ServiceDesignDistributio n - ShippingEducationEnginee ringEntry Level - New GradExecutiveFacilitiesF inanceGeneral BusinessGeneral LaborGovernmentGroceryHe althcareHotel - HospitalityHuman ResourcesInformation TechnologyInstallation - Maint - RepairInsuranceInventory LegalLegal AdminManagementManufactu ringMarketingNurseOtherP harmacyProfessional ServicesPurchasing - ProcurementQA - Quality ControlResearchRestauran t - Food ServiceRetailSalesScienc eSkilled Labor - TradesStrategy - PlanningSupply ChainTelecommTrainingTra nsportationWarehouse Job   

DAWG

Game Time

• Getbig III
  • Go out fatboy
Re: war on drugs....insane?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 06:56:07 AM »
That's one of the first valid points I have heard Jack ever say.  I would agree with his statement, but it would cost billions to implement the new drug laws and distribution methods.

Personally I can't stand Jack, he uses junveile arguments.  For exmaple he will call an idea 'stupid' or a person an 'idiot'.  There is not much validity behind those statements they are just personal attacks.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:07:29 AM »
That's one of the first valid points I have heard Jack ever say.  I would agree with his statement, but it would cost billions to implement the new drug laws and distribution methods.

Personally I can't stand Jack, he uses junveile arguments.  For exmaple he will call an idea 'stupid' or a person an 'idiot'.  There is not much validity behind those statements they are just personal attacks.

STFU, you're a moron!
I

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:11:05 AM »
Seriously I can't believe I may be going to jail for a short period over the next few months to a year (depends when they find me and sentence me), all because I choose to smoke marijuana, like I am some kind of danger or detriment to myself/others cause I want to blaze up a few times a day. God forbid someone smoke weed, they should be in jail.... Really WTF is that crap all about.
I

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:14:27 AM »
Longer then a kiwol post...

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:22:41 AM »
insane is a legal term, not a medical one.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »
the war on drugs is bogus

therețs no money involved

all 4 show

the drug trafiking is controlled by the govt and the profits fund the black budget and all those fucking underground cities