Author Topic: G-20 protest  (Read 955 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
G-20 protest
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
LONDON, England (CNN) -- Scuffles were reported outside the Bank of England Wednesday, as thousands of protesters, including anti-capitalists, anarchists, and environmental campaigners, gathered in the heart of London's financial district a day before the G-20 summit.

Protesters close to Britain's central bank attempt to convey their message to G-20 leaders.

Eleven people were arrested for being in possession of police uniforms, a police spokesman told CNN. They had earlier been stopped while riding in an armored personnel carrier near Bishopsgate, close to the Bank of England. Another two people were arrested outside the bank for violent disorder and threatening behaviour

Protesters occasionally lunged forward against the police line, and one masked protester hit out at officers with a long black pole. One police officer was whisked to the side after apparently being hit. Police held their line and occasionally pushed protesters back with their hands.

A police spokesman refused to confirm whether officers had been injured. "On the whole, it's not been too bad," he said when pressed about the nature of the protests.  Watch more about the protests »

Demonstration organizer Marina Pepper became trapped at the Bank as police locked down the area. She told CNN that she was disappointed with the policing. "They definitely came looking to cause trouble," she said. "We had to be quite forceful to get to the bank."

She added that although the atmosphere was brilliant right now, riot police are being deployed. "They look a little fierce," she said.

Banners at the protest read "Arrest the War Criminals," "One Currency, One Country, One World," and "Capitalism Isn't Working." One protester stood in the crowd and strummed a guitar. Are you there? Send your images, video to iReport

Fact Box
This week's London Summit brings together the leaders of the world's 20 largest economic powers, known as the Group of 20, to discuss the global financial crisis and decide new measures to set the world on a more stable economic footing. Elsewhere, protesters broke several dark tinted windows of the Royal Bank of Scotland building and crawled inside.

CNN producer Simon Hooper reported a more festive atmosphere at the parallel protest by environmentalists outside the European Climate Exchange nearby, as protesters pitched tents and listened to bands play.

Earlier in the day, up to 500 protesters had gathered for the "Apocalypse March" close to Liverpool Street station, a major transport hub in central London.

Despite the relatively good natured atmosphere, many shops in the area boarded up their windows and doors as the protesters, chanting "power to the people," got nearer.  Watch more about the security challenge the summit poses »

British comedian Russell Brand, who was at the scene, told CNN that "everyone seemed to be having a good time." Asked if we was there to help overthrow capitalism, he replied: "It's not my decision, I'm just here observing."

Meanwhile, a 17-year-old student, taking part in a protest, wore a balaclava to hide his identity. He described himself as an environmental protester and said things were "going into meltdown." He added: "The whole thing is collapsing. If we can't change things by democratic means then this is the way to go."

Tamsin Omond, 24, told CNN that she traveled to London to "show my dissent at the system." She added: "Today is about showing that the old system hasn't worked. We need a new way of thinking about how we can solve the crisis."

Ian Dixon, from Whitby in northern England, lost his job in manufacturing at Christmas. He said he has not had any work since. He said: "Gordon Brown doesn't realize how bad things are. Bankers have been rewarded for doing a bad job."

At the start of the day commuter trains were quieter than usual, with many workers heeding police advice to "dress down."

Many commuters seemed to carry on as usual despite the threat of the protests turning ugly. City worker Alan Rice, who was wearing a suit, told CNN: "Most people seem to be wearing dress down clothes but I've dressed for work like this for 40 years." He added: "I'm not overly concerned about the protests. I've got faith in the British system."

Mike Wiltshire, who works in insurance, described how his daughter had said "Daddy please don't wear your tie today," before he left for work. But he added that he was wearing his suit "so police can distinguish him from the protesters."

Wednesday's protest, organized by an umbrella group called "G-20 Meltdown," was to feature four separate "carnival parades," each led by giant "Horseman of the Apocalypse" puppets. A flyer for the event, carries the slogan "Storm the Banks!" and features images of French revolutionaries storming the Bastille in 1789 and a mannequin of a banker hanging from a noose.

"We're going to reclaim the City, thrusting into the very belly of the beast: the Bank of England," the G-20 Meltdown Web site declared.

Organizers of the protest insisted their intentions are "theatrical," promising "mirth, merriment and the love in our hearts" and urging participants to "bring food to share, water, tea making facilities, something to sit on, a pop up tent if you plan to stay late."

But activists also published a map Tuesday with the details of scores of banks, financial companies, law firms and trading exchanges with offices in the City, prompting fears that symbols of capitalism could be targeted.

"It is believed that the majority of the protesters intend to conduct a peaceful demonstration," the police said in a statement.

Businesses should however, remain vigilant at all times and ensure that buildings are secure."
DAWG

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: G-20 protest
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
I think England should engage in some Tienamen Square-esque protest suppression.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
I think England should engage in some Tienamen Square-esque protest suppression.

You have got to be a gimmik... ::)
I hate the State.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »

You're an ASS!!!

These protester are trying to keep people from being reduced down to impoverished peasants. Sadly you americans sit and do nothing while the rest of the world erupts...then you have the audacity to complain when you rights are violated/taken away or as in this american created world financial mess you cry about losing your jobs, investments, homes etc. Now you turn around and say England should use military attacks on these people!!!!!...All of you american sshould be reduced down to less than DIRT for being so dumb...
C

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »
You're an ASS!!!

These protester are trying to keep people from being reduced down to impoverished peasants. Sadly you americans sit and do nothing while the rest of the world erupts...then you have the audacity to complain when you rights are violated/taken away or as in this american created world financial mess you cry about losing your jobs, investments, homes etc. Now you turn around and say England should use military attacks on these people!!!!!...All of you american sshould be reduced down to less than DIRT for being so dumb...

is that a threat.
DAWG

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »
is that a threat.

I forgot I was talking to americans...

YOU'RE AN ASS...is a statement...If I said... I AM GONNA KICK YOUR ASS...That is a threat..

Understand the difference???
C

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »

YOU'RE AN ASS...is a statement...If I said... I AM GONNA KICK YOUR ASS...That is a threat..

actually I was referring to the "All you Americans should be reduced down to less than dirt"statement.
DAWG

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

hahahahahahahaha 8)

Oh, wait...  I meant...  HOW DARE YOU, YOU EVIL ARROGANT AMERICAN PRICK!!!! >:(

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
actually I was referring to the "All you Americans should be reduced down to less than dirt"statement.

That too is a statement...though harsh, its purpose is to make americans aware of what is going on and start being active. As it stands americans are doing NOTHING as the rest of the world is protesting, fighting, making the masses aware of what is happening etc. When on boards like these a person says GET UP OFF YOUR ASS the members turn to arguing with the person as opposed to taking heed and saying what can be done to avert or change the circusmstance. Now if you americans continue sitting around worrying about electronic games, plasma TVs, sports etc you will find yourselves being ground under (reduced to less than dirt) by your government....
C

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
That too is a statement...though harsh, its purpose is to make americans aware of what is going on and start being active. As it stands americans are doing NOTHING as the rest of the world is protesting, fighting, making the masses aware of what is happening etc. When on boards like these a person says GET UP OFF YOUR ASS the members turn to arguing with the person as opposed to taking heed and saying what can be done to avert or change the circusmstance. Now if you americans continue sitting around worrying about electronic games, plasma TVs, sports etc you will find yourselves being ground under (reduced to less than dirt) by your government....

You typing like an incoherent moron on your bodybuilding forum gimmick is really doing a lot. STFU.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
You typing like an incoherent moron on your bodybuilding forum gimmick is really doing a lot. STFU.

WHAT?????...I don't have a BB forum gimmick account...

Try drinking a lot less before you post a comment. And please check your sentance structure...dropping out of school was a bad move on your part.
C

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »
WHAT?????...I don't have a BB forum gimmick account...

Try drinking a lot less before you post a comment. And please check your sentance structure...dropping out of school was a bad move on your part.

How ironic, retard. By the way, "..." isn't a valid way to string together four sentEnces. Try punctuating. Works wonders.  ::)

You're a gimmick and you're posting on a bodybuilding forum. Go lead a revolution against the white man or something. You're not doing jack shit.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
How ironic, retard. By the way, "..." isn't a valid way to string together four sentEnces. Try punctuating. Works wonders.  ::)

You're a gimmick and you're posting on a bodybuilding forum. Go lead a revolution against the white man or something. You're not doing jack shit.

Oh now I see another angry white man...Don't be mad at me becasue you are jobless and without hope and now you want to take your frustrations out on someone...lol. Nonetheless...less drinking before coming onto the board next time...

Thank you
C

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
Oh now I see another angry white man...Don't be mad at me becasue you are jobless and without hope and now you want to take your frustrations out on someone...lol. Nonetheless...less drinking before coming onto the board next time...

Thank you

Angry? No. Amused? Yes. You're talking shit about Americans not doing anything when *gasp* you're a gimmick on a bodybuilding forum. Go out and lead a protest or revolution or something. You're just another uneducated retard who thinks he's "in the know" about everything. Move...along...now...gim mick.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
Yes, it would be a real tragedy if anti-capitalists, anarchists, and environmental campaigners, engaged in violent protests were run over by tanks. It seems to me like it would be three birds with one stone?!  ???

Did anyone else notice the rash of PLO flags being waved in the middle of these protests? Degenerates make strange political bedfellows.

Everyone has the right to engage in peaceful protests. When these greasy, long haired imbeciles start smashing windows and attacking police, they should be suppressed accordingly. (OK, maybe not with tanks, but with some degree of violence).

For all you pussy's whining about my comments or claiming I'm a gimmick- get the sand out of your vag and learn how to take a joke. This is get big, not your feminist sewing class.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »

Shut up, pussy.  ::)

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
Yes, it would be a real tragedy if anti-capitalists, anarchists, and environmental campaigners, engaged in violent protests were run over by tanks. It seems to me like it would be three birds with one stone?!  ???

Did anyone else notice the rash of PLO flags being waved in the middle of these protests? Degenerates make strange political bedfellows.

Everyone has the right to engage in peaceful protests. When these greasy, long haired imbeciles start smashing windows and attacking police, they should be suppressed accordingly. (OK, maybe not with tanks, but with some degree of violence).

For all you pussy's whining about my comments or claiming I'm a gimmick- get the sand out of your vag and learn how to take a joke. This is get big, not your feminist sewing class.

How is protesting the Bank and Central planning Anti-Capitalist?

The IMF does nothing but loan and foreclose on mineral rich nations.  The US Federal Reserve had this country bankrupt within 20 years of its creation in 1913.

Yes, we are bankrupt today - completely owned by our creditors.  Each administration works to preserve the existing system, not change it.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »

Thank you

Your posts contain a lot of truth - but your delivery is over the top of most people heads.  It does not benefit the cause of freedom to piss off the sheep and make them enemies of true freedom.  Educate them slowly, have patience.

I look up to Ron Paul in so many ways, but mainly because he can articulate and take attacks and stay true to his principles without becoming emotional and lashing out.  I think he learned this in his younger years when he was not so polite.

Didn't Jesus say "Father forgive them for they don't know what they are doing"

Yes they are stupid, but it is better to enlighten and spark curiosity than spend your time defending yourself because of being overbearing.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
 ::)

Note to storm shadow- I quoted the identity of the protesters from the article at the beginning of this thread. The term "anti capitalist" wasn't coined by me. Hope this helps.