Author Topic: Cod Liver or Fish Oil ?  (Read 4024 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Cod Liver or Fish Oil ?
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »
Basic info consolidated.

Cod Liver & Fish Oil FAQ

Who should take cod liver oil?

I recommend cod liver oil as a dietary supplement for most everyone -- children aged four and above, to seniors... provided they need the additional support of vitamin D.

Cod liver oil contains vitamins D and A which are beneficial for almost everyone from fall through late spring during the cloudy winter season when sun exposure is naturally low. It is also beneficial for anyone else who cannot get regular sun exposure. Think of cod liver oil as "fish-plus" - fish oils plus vitamins D and A.

Who should take fish oil?

Fish oil is beneficial as a dietary supplement for those aged four and above who obtain adequate vitamin D from exposure to sunshine.

Why should I take cod liver oil or fish oil?

Fish oils and cod liver oil provide health benefits to their users. American diets as a whole lack sufficient omega-3 oils, and tend to be overbalanced on the side of omega-6 and omega-9 oils.

In my opinion, a harmonious balance would be 1:1 between omega-3 to omega-6. Some estimates put the typical balance at 1:20 or even 1:50. Supplementing with omega-3 can help maintain or restore your healthy omega-3 balance.*

Also, omega-3s are considered essential fatty acids, meaning they must come from a food source, since your body cannot produce them.

Fish oil and cod liver oil can support your health in these ways:

* Help promote heart health and normal cholesterol balance*
    * Support immune system health, mood, memory, joint health, blood sugar health, and helps relieve     stress*
    * Help increase energy level and promote cognitive function*
    * Provide immune system support*
    * Help provide nutritional support to pregnant women*
    * Aid in regulating cell growth and division*
    * Support a strong skeletal system*
    * Support a healthy inflammatory response*

What are omega-3 oils?

Omega-3 fatty acids are long-chain carbons, polyunsaturated with many double bonds -which are important and essential nutrients for good health. The term omega-3 refers to the location of the first double bond on the third carbon.

Omega-3 fatty acids include DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid), EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) and ALA (Alpha-Linolenic Acid).

What is the difference between these types of omega-3 oils?

EPA and DHA have a longer structure and contain more double bonds than ALA. EPA and DHA support healthy cardiovascular health and immune health*. Fish oils supply omega-3 levels especially high in EPA and DHA. Some vegetable oils provide ALA.

What are essential fatty acids?

Essential fatty acids are those that are important or even crucial to your optimal health, yet cannot be produced by your body (they must be supplied by food consumption).

Why not just eat flaxseed?

The only omega-3 that flaxseed provides is ALA. Even when large amounts of ALA are consumed, your body can only convert very small amounts into EPA and DHA, and only when sufficient enzymes are present. Consuming fish oil is a more predictable way of obtaining adequate EPA and DHA.*

Why not just eat fish?

Mercury contamination in fish throughout the world is a concern. The risk of mercury impacting your health can outweigh the benefits of the omega-3 fats you consume when you eat fish. Therefore, I recommend that you limit your consumption of fish, whether ocean, freshwater, or farm-raised.
Fish oil and cod liver oil from a high quality source don't pose the same risk as fresh fish. That's because they are purified of mercury, PCBs and many other contaminants.

What is the difference between fish oil and cod liver oil?

The main difference between cod liver oil and fish oil is that cod liver oil is high in vitamin D, sometimes called the "sunshine vitamin".* If you are outside in warm weather, sunshine produces high and generally sufficient levels of vitamin D without supplementation.

I do not recommend consuming cod liver oil in the warm weather months or warm climates, as this could cause an excess of vitamin D in your system. Conversely, when the sun's rays are very indirect, your body needs vitamin D supplementation. So I recommend cod liver oil versus fish oil in cool weather months or cool climates.

Vitamin D experts suggest that anyone living north of the 30th parallel is likely to be sun-deprived for much of the year. The 30th parallel runs roughly along the Gulf Coast, from the Florida panhandle west through Texas and across to southern California.

My general rule... Take cod liver oil from autumn to early spring, and fish oil from late spring through the end of summer. Adjust your fish oil intake depending on where you live in relation to the equator. Those close to the equator do not need cod liver oil due to good vitamin D intake from the sun.

If you aren't sure of what you should take, please consult your medical practitioner and have your vitamin D levels tested.

Can fish oil help kids?

Regular consumption of fish oil/cod liver oil can benefit children. As it does with adults, it will optimize kids' health and promote proper brain function*.

Studies suggest that DHA supports good cognitive function in adults who were breast-fed up to nine months while the mother was supplementing with fish oils.*

Even infant formula companies are beginning to include DHA and ARA (another fatty acid) to their formulas, touting the enriched formula as a major advancement in infant nutrition and charging a ten or fifteen percent premium for the enriched formula.

Will fish oil help my heart?

Omega-3 fatty acids are believed to promote good overall health and cardio health*. Studies suggest that omega-3s promote normal cholesterol levels and normal inflammatory response - which benefit a healthy heart.* Vitamin D also supports good heart health.*

Will fish oil affect my pregnancy?

Studies suggest that fish oil intake during pregnancy can contribute to healthy pregnancies* and omega-3 supplementation and restriction of omega-6s help support brain function and mood both during pregnancy and post-partum*.

Are there any contraindications?

If you have been diagnosed with the relatively uncommon condition of sarcoidosis, you should rigidly avoid sunshine and vitamin D, and you should not consume cod liver oil.

Children under the age of four should proceed only with the recommendation of your medical practitioner.

How can I ensure I get quality fish oil?

The fish oil or cod liver oil offered here are excellent brand choices. They contain essential omega-3s and follow strict purity guidelines. These guidelines help you find a quality fish oil or cod liver oil:

* Make sure your brand is free of mercury, PCBs and other contaminants.
    * Confirm low oxidation levels in the fish or cod liver oil.
    * Check that your fish or cod liver oil contains vitamin E.
    * The taste test - lemon flavoring adds a fresh taste.

How much fish oil should I take?

Recommended intakes of DHA and EPA have not been established by the FDA. The American Heart Association recommends two servings of fish per week to support cardiovascular health*. Two four-ounce servings of salmon contain approximately three total grams of EPA and DHA.

Recommended usage is one teaspoon of liquid oil daily. (If you juice, you can include this in your juices.) For Cod Liver Oil Softgels with Low Vitamin A, recommended usage is one softgel daily.

Unlike vitamins and minerals whose intake is usually relatively constant, optimal amounts of essential fatty intake are quite variable. Following the above will give you a good starting point. Consult your physician and have your vitamin D levels tested to learn your specific optimal amounts.

http://products.mercola.com/faq/cod-liver-fish-oil.htm
:

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Re: Cod Liver or Fish Oil ?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »
Smart balance makes a good peanut butter if u can't stomach the fish taste.
They add flax seed to it to give a 1:1 ratio which u describe - no hydrogenated oil or refined sugar too. Also, it doesn't have to be refrigerated when opened and the consistency is good unlike most natural brands. Just my 2 cents.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:43:28 AM »
Smart balance makes a good peanut butter if u can't stomach the fish taste.
They add flax seed to it to give a 1:1 ratio which u describe - no hydrogenated oil or refined sugar too. Also, it doesn't have to be refrigerated when opened and the consistency is good unlike most natural brands. Just my 2 cents.

I believe Smart Balance uses flax oil for the omega 3 - no fish  ;D and they also sweeten it up with something like molasses or honey.
:

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
omega 3's are supposed to be good for your skin too.. like blemishes and acne

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »
yeah, they are. 

fish oil and cod liver oil and direct sources of dha and epa.  both are omega 3 fatty acids

flax seed is a source of ala. which is a omega 3 fatty acid, and it can be converted into dha and epa.

thus the only essential omega 3 fatt acid is ala, not dha or epa, because both epa and dha can be produced by the body from ala.

however the conversion of ala into dha and epa is quite ineffecient, so if one is wishing for a good amount of epa and dha in their body, its best to supplement with a direct source of epa and dha - cod liver or fish oil.

________________________ ________________________ __________________

pros of omega 3 intake -

supports good lipoprotein levels (cholestrol)
boosts insulin sensitivity
increases fat metabolism
increases gh
increases test

cons of omega 3 intake -

anti inflammatory/inhibits production of beneficial prostaglandin pgf2a(which is responsible for the growth and fat loss that occurs after a workout)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:28:28 AM »
Nice info bombz!

Lately my forehead (and only forehead) have been breaking out... little bumps everywhere ...  i'm 30 and normally have clear skin...

inicreasing omegas to help and also adding a probiotic..

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »

Since acne is often caused by hormones and omega 3s have an effect on hormones, yes.
:

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 07:12:58 AM »
also thinking the amount of instant oatmeal i'm scarfing down on a daily basis...    packet after packet... up to a whole box of 20 in a day... all these grains can't be good for your complexion..

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
also thinking the amount of instant oatmeal i'm scarfing down on a daily basis...    packet after packet... up to a whole box of 20 in a day... all these grains can't be good for your complexion..
i love oatmeal right now... easy to eat quickly between classes... scarf down 3 bags of apple flavored or peach flavored oatmeal then down a protein shake.. BOOM

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »

This is true.  Oatmeal is a source of GLA, an omega 6 and too much GLA can produce too much AA (arachidonic acid) which is inflammatory, also causing your omega 3:6 ratio to be off...a chain reaction. .. So cut back on the oatmeal, and keep up with the fish oil and things should clear up rather quickly.
:

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »
This is true.  Oatmeal is a source of GLA, an omega 6 and too much GLA can produce too much AA (arachidonic acid) which is inflammatory, also causing your omega 3:6 ratio to be off...a chain reaction. .. So cut back on the oatmeal, and keep up with the fish oil and things should clear up rather quickly.

for real

In vivo conversion of linoleic acid to arachidonic acid in human adults.Salem N Jr, Pawlosky R, Wegher B, Hibbeln J.
Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry & Biophysics, Division of Intramural Clinical and Biological Research, National Institutes of Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, USA. nsalem@niaaa.nih.gov

Human adults are shown to be capable of conversion of linoleic acid (LA, 18:2 n-6) to arachidonic acid (AA, 20:4 n-6) in vivo. It is confirmed that they can also convert alpha-linolenic acid (LNA, 18:3 n-3) to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, 20:5 n-3) and to docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, 22:6 n-3) in vivo. The time course and the maximal response for these processes during the first week after a single dose of the 18-carbon precursor is described. A stable-isotope method in which the protons of the C17 and C18 carbons are substituted with deuterium atoms is used in order to provide for a safe method for the study of human metabolism. High sensitivity and selectivity of detection is assured with negative ion, gas chromatography/mass spectrometry analysis. It is clear that human adults on an ad lib diet carry out EFA metabolism in vivo.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 06:20:14 AM »

I love you princess!  I wonder if this is it???     I've always eaten the instant though... it's just been lately my forehead has been breaking out though....  i do consume a lot of the packets (dump in mouth, swish with water).. not cooked either (if that matters).

I'll cut out the oats... try a low carb diet for awhile..     maybe over the years.. and i mean YEARS of eating way too many carbs, i've developed the need to produce greater insulin than normal to push the carbs though?  It's said insulin can affect oil gland production (increasing it)

If oatmeal is my culprit (leads to my breaking out), do all carbs have GLA? 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:18:35 AM »
   maybe over the years.. and i mean YEARS of eating way too many carbs, i've developed the need to produce greater insulin than normal to push the carbs though? 

its natural for insulin sensitivity to decline with age.

not all carbs have gla.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »
I love you princess!  I wonder if this is it???     I've always eaten the instant though... it's just been lately my forehead has been breaking out though....  i do consume a lot of the packets (dump in mouth, swish with water).. not cooked either (if that matters).

I'll cut out the oats... try a low carb diet for awhile..     maybe over the years.. and i mean YEARS of eating way too many carbs, i've developed the need to produce greater insulin than normal to push the carbs though?  It's said insulin can affect oil gland production (increasing it)

I don't know if you need to go cold turkey.  ;D  Just cut back on some of the oatmeal.  Actually, you may want to try oatmeal that's a little less processed - ie: steel cut.  Try cooking up some steel cut - takes about 30-45 mins and then add some of what you're used to so you end up with a 50/50 mixture.  Keep in fridge until needed.  Steel cut (or any less processed than instant) takes longer to digest, so you won't get as hungry as quickly.

No, oatmeal is one of,  if not the only FOOD source of GLA.
:

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
I don't know if you need to go cold turkey.  ;D  Just cut back on some of the oatmeal.  Actually, you may want to try oatmeal that's a little less processed - ie: steel cut.  Try cooking up some steel cut - takes about 30-45 mins and then add some of what you're used to so you end up with a 50/50 mixture.  Keep in fridge until needed.  Steel cut (or any less processed than instant) takes longer to digest, so you won't get as hungry as quickly.

No, oatmeal is one of,  if not the only FOOD source of GLA.

so eating tons (i mean literally a ton) of oatmeal could be causing my breaking out of my forehead?   Ive read all over that forehead breakout only means something associated with digestion.

And oatmeal is just about the only food containing GLA?!~   Wow.. maybe i should cut it totally and just see what happens..

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »
so eating tons (i mean literally a ton) of oatmeal could be causing my breaking out of my forehead?   Ive read all over that forehead breakout only means something associated with digestion.

And oatmeal is just about the only food containing GLA?!~   Wow.. maybe i should cut it totally and just see what happens..

gla has some benefits though.  kind of similar to the pro's and con's of omega 3.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:35:28 AM »
gla has some benefits though.  kind of similar to the pro's and con's of omega 3.

i just need to up my omega 3 then.. which i've been doing with about 6 caps of omega 3's a day spread out...

also taking an probiotic..  and maybe will get a digestive enzyme

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 11:42:42 AM »
i just need to up my omega 3 then.. which i've been doing with about 6 caps of omega 3's a day spread out...

also taking an probiotic..  and maybe will get a digestive enzyme
yes and no. but youll be fine either way, wont notice too much.  if anything, other than the acne, youll notice a slight slow down in muscle growth, but nothing too noticeable.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 11:43:15 AM »
will this stuff raise my HDL cholesterol levels.because I need it.
DAWG

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »
will this stuff raise my HDL cholesterol levels.because I need it.

Fish oil has been proven to have positive effects on lipid profiles -YES
: