Author Topic: Republicans want Presidential Torture Memos Buried. . .or else!  (Read 2228 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
If the president releases the Bush torture memos, Republicans are promising to “go nuclear” and filibuster his legal appointments. Scott Horton reports on a serious threat to Obama’s transparency.

Senate Republicans are now privately threatening to derail the confirmation of key Obama administration nominees for top legal positions by linking the votes to suppressing critical torture memos from the Bush era. A reliable Justice Department source advises me that Senate Republicans are planning to “go nuclear” over the nominations of Dawn Johnsen as chief of the Office of Legal Counsel in the Department of Justice and Yale Law School Dean Harold Koh as State Department legal counsel if the torture documents are made public.

The source says these threats are the principal reason for the Obama administration’s abrupt pullback last week from a commitment to release some of the documents. A Republican Senate source confirms the strategy. It now appears that Republicans are seeking an Obama commitment to safeguard the Bush administration’s darkest secrets in exchange for letting these nominations go forward.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-04-05/are-republicans-blackmailing-obama/

And about that Republican Sanctioned Torture:

Report Calls CIA Detainee Treatment 'Inhuman'

Medical officers who oversaw interrogations of terrorism suspects in CIA secret prisons committed gross violations of medical ethics and in some cases essentially participated in torture, the International Committee of the Red Cross concluded in a confidential report that labeled the CIA program "inhuman."

Previously, top Bush administration officials defended the interrogation methods, saying they were legal and necessary to prevent terrorist attacks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/06/AR2009040603654.html?hpid=topnews

What filth the Republican party is.  First torture and now blackmail to cover up the details of that torture.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Republicans want Presidential Torture Memos Buried. . .or else!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:25:17 AM »
haha if you have nothing to hide... ;)

James

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
haha if you have nothing to hide... Wink

You mean like Obama having his Birth Records sealed ?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »

the state of hawaii said the certificate is valid.

we now go down the road of asking ourselves - is an entire US State in on some vast conspiracy to sneak a kenyan to lead our nation?

Is this the kind of scenario you're implying?

James

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:04:27 AM »

we now go down the road of asking ourselves - is an entire US State in on some vast conspiracy to sneak a kenyan to lead our nation?

You were the one who said "haha if you have nothing to hide... Wink"

Yet your hero Obama is all for hiding (sealing)  his Birth records.

"President's attorneys file motion demanding birth, college records be withheld from public"

"A high-powered team of Los Angeles attorneys representing President Obama in his effort to keep his birth certificate, college records and passport documents concealed from the public has suggested there should be "monetary sanctions" against a lawyer
whose clients have brought a complaint alleging Obama doesn't qualify for the Oval Office under the Constitution's demand for a "natural born" citizen in that post. "

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=88746

So If Obama has "nothing to hide", then why did he hire attorneys to have his records sealed ?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »

dont you believe that 9/11 was an inside job? LOL but that ct seems crazy to you huh?

James

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
haha if you have nothing to hide... Wink

240,   So If Obama has "nothing to hide", then why did he hire attorneys to have his records sealed ?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »
What the fuck is the "WorldNetDaily"? and why would anyone listen to them?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:02:26 AM »
What the fuck is the "WorldNetDaily"? and why would anyone listen to them?
::) LOL deckers original post is cited by a page called thedailybeast.com and is in the blogs section but you question that one huh? hahahaha more and more on this board ppl choose to only see what they want.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:05:22 AM »

240,   So If Obama has "nothing to hide", then why did he hire attorneys to have his records sealed ?

probably because it says he was born muslim, and he doesn't want hillbillies scremaing "There, we have proof he's an arab!" all thru the 2012 race.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »
::) LOL deckers original post is cited by a page called thedailybeast.com and is in the blogs section but you question that one huh? hahahaha more and more on this board ppl choose to only see what they want.

Hey Tony... Do you think I give a shit about whether or not the Republicans want to Filibuster?

Have at it...

I don't see where the issue is here.

You think I believe "The daily beast"?

Ridiculous... More and more the politics board is a bunch of whining kids going... My guys are cooler than your guys.

Sad.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 11:06:20 AM »
probably because it says he was born muslim, and he doesn't want hillbillies scremaing "There, we have proof he's an arab!" all thru the 2012 race.

Can you be born a "Muslim"?

Is that possible to be born a religion? Is that something that the Presidency requires?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 11:09:25 AM »
Hey Tony... Do you think I give a shit about whether or not the Republicans want to Filibuster?

Have at it...

I don't see where the issue is here.

You think I believe "The daily beast"?

Ridiculous... More and more the politics board is a bunch of whining kids going... My guys are cooler than your guys.

Sad.
if you dont see what the issue is here then why didnt you say that instead of attacking james citation?

James

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 11:15:04 AM »

240 is full of shit as usual,   As their is no space on a Birth Certificate, stating what a child's religion is at birth

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »

True. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »

B/c rightwing lunatics would have a field day.

For god's sake, look what these nuts did with his legal birth certificate.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 01:13:48 PM »
Shoot, the daily beast.com...that settles it, the story is shit.

What was I thinking?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »
http://bluegrassbulletin.typepad.com/bluegrass_bulletin/2009/04/obama-plan-to-release-torture-memos-has-republican-senators-raging.html

Rightwing websites are running with the story.

That's for all you 'shoot the messenger' types.  You know, the guys who think they can judge a book by its cover time and again.

Stop that.  It's embarrassing and counterproductive to getting at truth.

If it's true, it's true....Even if Lucifer says it.

In fairness, it's a lead.  We'll see if it pans out.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »
 :'(

boo hoo hoo. Poor terrorists.

It seems to me that Obama is blackmailing the republicans to get these god awful nominations through, not the other way around. I have seen 3 or 4 documentaries on this nonsense already. What on earth is going to be uncovered here that hasn't already been made public? Nobody is going to be prosecuted anyway. Talk about much ado about nothing. It reminds me of watching MSNBC. A fucking nuclear missile could destroy the eastern seaboard, there could be rioting in the streets over the economy and that hideous Dyke Rachel Maddow will still be interviewing douchebags from NPR to get opinions on whether Dick Cheney violated the Geneva Conventions.

Wait, we can only be backward looking when it involves the Bush Administration. Obama's past is totally irrelevant of course and should never be scrutinized otherwise your being a racist and a "reactionary". But... I wonder- If Obama authorized torture, would you same lightening rods say "Well, you didn't complain when Bush did it", so why do anything now...?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 02:05:33 PM »
if you dont see what the issue is here then why didnt you say that instead of attacking james citation?

I did... I also attacked the citation that I noticed... I then noticed the daily beast and attacked that.

You're still worried about what I think of either one of those media outlets?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »
Shoot, the daily beast.com...that settles it, the story is shit.

What was I thinking?
I dont really care what the source is, i was simply pointing out to holmes that your source wasnt a well known credible source, like james was. perhaps you should read all the posts in the thread before singling one out  ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 02:38:39 PM »
I did... I also attacked the citation that I noticed... I then noticed the daily beast and attacked that.

You're still worried about what I think of either one of those media outlets?
I personally dont really give a shit, just thought it was ironic how you called out james but not decker...you righted yourself though.

James

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 03:09:37 PM »
B/c rightwing lunatics would have a field day.

For god's sake, look what these nuts did with his legal birth certificate.

Obama has not shown his legal birth certificate., But what he did do, was he hired lawyers to have it sealed.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »

It's time to let go.
G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 03:15:48 PM »
It's time to let go.
its also time to quit blaming bush...