Author Topic: Muslim HS girl receives $400K from Nevada Schools for threats by another student  (Read 1346 times)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Muslim Girl Gets $400G From Nevada School District in Head Scarf Bully Case
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 

A Nevada school district agreed to pay $400,000 to a Muslim girl and her friend over allegations that other student(s) threatened to kill her in the stairwell for wearing a religious head scarf and the staff did nothing to stop it.

The Washoe County School District in the Reno area will give Egyptian former student Jana Elhifny $350,000 and her non-Muslim friend and supporter Stephanie Hart $50,000 as part of the civil settlement.
Elhifny and her family came to Reno from Egypt in 2003, and the girl enrolled as a freshman at North Valleys High School.
She didn't finish the year after she told teachers and administrators that someone had threatened to kill her in the stairwell because of her Muslim hijab or head scarf, the district's independent attorney in the case, Robert Cox, told FOXNews.com.

Shortly afterwards, Cox said, Elhifny filed the lawsuit and returned to Egypt, where she married her fiancé.

The lawsuit, handled by U.S. District Court in Reno, alleges that Elhifny faced death threats and harassment and school administrators did nothing to stop the abuse.
Cox said that wasn't true, and the teen was unable to give any description of her tormenter — including his or her gender, size and tone of voice.

He said the high school tried to investigate her claims but was unsuccessful because of the lack of information.

"The district did an incredibly thorough investigation," Cox told FOXNews.com in a phone interview. "They could never identify the person who perpetrated these acts. ... The district did everything it could do to try to help this young woman who is an Egyptian and of the Islam faith."

Cox said school officials couldn't confirm the stairwell death threat story.

"They tried to prove that, tried to track down who it was, but without a description ... that couldn't be done," he said. "The district did watch her constantly and had people in the hallway."

He said the settlement was agreed upon to end lengthy and "expensive litigation." The case has been fought in the courts for the past four years, according to Cox.

Hart, a non-Muslim who says she was ostracized when she befriended Elhifny at North Valleys High School and also dropped out, will receive $50,000. Cox said she was a supporter of Elhifny's rather than a victim and never complained to school officials before getting involved in the lawsuit.

The settlement was announced early Wednesday. The monetary award will be paid by the district's insurance carrier.

The district also agreed to work with lawyers on harassment and discrimination policies.

Attempts to reach Elhifny in Egypt and Hart, who now has a child and resides in California, weren't immediately successful.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
We don't know the details of the case but now taxpayors are on the line for verbal harassment of a muslim student by an unknown student perpetrator? 

The school has a responsibility to protect its students from harassment and it appears they took steps to investigate and protect her. I do not understand this large monetary compensation.  Appauling ruling to me.  What kind of precident does this set?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
We don't know the details of the case but now taxpayors are on the line for verbal harassment of a muslim student by an unknown student perpetrator? 

The school has a responsibility to protect its students from harassment and it appears they took steps to investigate and protect her. I do not understand this large monetary compensation.  Appauling ruling to me.  What kind of precident does this set?

Disgusting.   

Hereford

• Getbig V
Looks like all she had to do is leave the muslim crap at home and she wouldn't have gotten harassed. If I go to a school with blacks, and I wear a KKK shirt, I would expect to get targeted. This isn't the middle east, this is the US. Leave the muslim shit at home, everything is ok.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
The monetary awards will be paid by the district's insurance carrier not the taxpayer.

Hereford

• Getbig V
That is money that could have been used to actually educate kids and buy supplies. I hope all you liberal PCers are happy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That is money that could have been used to actually educate kids and buy supplies. I hope all you liberal PCers are happy.

This is why we need tort reform.  I am an attorney and these cases are utter nonsense and garbage. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
No it couldn`t have.  School Districts vote on whether they want to carry Insurance and then vote on what kind or type of insurance and then vote on where to get it.

Hereford

• Getbig V
No it couldn`t have.  School Districts vote on whether they want to carry Insurance and then vote on what kind or type of insurance and then vote on where to get it.

What does that have to do with the fact this is money down the rathole? Do you know for a fact that the school district had insurance?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
But insurance costs are directly based upon settlements and risks so this is significant.  This is the same in medicine and has caused costs to skyrocket because of large payouts and changing practice styles to protect against lawsuits.

My point is that while the school district had to take this seriously and certainly investigate, the girl couldn't even name the person who harassed her.  What is the school supposed to do?  The put hall monitors to try to help the students and performed an investigation.  Why does this girl get money for some idiot student who insulted her?  Horrible precident.  Also, we weren't allowed to wear hats in school or any hair dressings and that should apply evenly across the board, no exceptions.  She can practice her religion in private and at home like others do.  This country is making special rules for certain people.  Not acceptible.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
What does that have to do with the fact this is money down the rathole? Do you know for a fact that the school district had insurance?
Yes.  Read the story from other sources other than FoxNews.  I can link you if you like.

Hereford

• Getbig V
Nah, that's ok TA... I believe you. If they did, then that's a little different, but the lameness of the whole affair still sucks. As shoot said, this smacks of douchebaggery.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Yes.  Read the story from other sources other than FoxNews.  I can link you if you like.

Exactly.  It's one view from this investigator.  If the claims were so outrageous why was a civil settlement even reached?  It wasn't a judgment. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Exactly.  It's one view from this investigator.  If the claims were so outrageous why was a civil settlement even reached?  It wasn't a judgment. 

Its called gambling. 

The companies bet on the cost of litigation and a potential verdict coming down.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yeah, this happens all the time.  Hospitals, physicians and medical groups nearly always try to settle.  So, a patient can bring nearly any claim and if they can find a lawyer to take the case and push hard enough, they can often get a settlement so the hospital or group doesn't have to go to trial.  The schools probably see $400,000 as better than a potential 4 million dollar judgement.

But, there should be no money given from the information presented...and the girl shouldn't be allowed to wear head attire in school.  Though unlikely, someone could put a weapon there.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
This is crazy. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Wonderful country this is turning into. Can white students who go to minority populated schools get six figure settlements for being targeted by black and spanish gangs? How about the teachers at those schools in the inner city who also get victimized and threatened by their students? How about asian students who get picked on? Better yet, how about fat kids who are called names and "threatened"?

I love this country and I hope we regain our senses, but this bending over backward to help the pathetic, foreign and miserable is going to lead to our downfall.

TA- What the fuck does the insurance carrier have to do with this nonsense? Who ends up paying higher premiums to settle horseshit cases like this? The people who subscribe to that insurance companies policies. How massive are the insurance companies in this country? Gee I wonder. And who ends up paying? US- The tax payer. As fucking usual. You think its an accident bailout corporate welfare recipients like AIG sell insurance? Who's paying for the stimulus bill?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
The monetary awards will be paid by the district's insurance carrier not the taxpayer.

Are u a complete moron....what happens with that insurance carrier, they will raise the rates. Then that cost will passed on to all of us. I know TA ur right, everything happens in a vacuum.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Are u a complete moron....what happens with that insurance carrier, they will raise the rates. Then that cost will passed on to all of us. I know TA ur right, everything happens in a vacuum.

Dont bother him with the facts. 

This is another rape of the taxpayer. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
U could easily break this down for TA in his psuedo intellectual speak....
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Wonderful country this is turning into. Can white students who go to minority populated schools get six figure settlements for being targeted by black and spanish gangs? How about the teachers at those schools in the inner city who also get victimized and threatened by their students? How about asian students who get picked on? Better yet, how about fat kids who are called names and "threatened"?

I love this country and I hope we regain our senses, but this bending over backward to help the pathetic, foreign and miserable is going to lead to our downfall.

TA- What the fuck does the insurance carrier have to do with this nonsense? Who ends up paying higher premiums to settle horseshit cases like this? The people who subscribe to that insurance companies policies. How massive are the insurance companies in this country? Gee I wonder. And who ends up paying? US- The tax payer. As fucking usual. You think its an accident bailout corporate welfare recipients like AIG sell insurance? Who's paying for the stimulus bill?

I agree.  This is bad for taxpayers.   

Hereford

• Getbig V
OMG... You just took the prize for the dumbest post in the political forum's two year existence.  and no, I'm not defending the settlement or being pro-muslim.  Just the dumbest thing I've read here yet.  congrats. ::)

Is there a prize?  :D

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Anything that raises insurance risk is bad for us.  Costs are directly passed along.  Adonis, you should know this.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
But insurance costs are directly based upon settlements and risks so this is significant.  This is the same in medicine and has caused costs to skyrocket because of large payouts and changing practice styles to protect against lawsuits.

My point is that while the school district had to take this seriously and certainly investigate, the girl couldn't even name the person who harassed her.  What is the school supposed to do?  The put hall monitors to try to help the students and performed an investigation.  Why does this girl get money for some idiot student who insulted her?  Horrible precident.  Also, we weren't allowed to wear hats in school or any hair dressings and that should apply evenly across the board, no exceptions.  She can practice her religion in private and at home like others do.  This country is making special rules for certain people.  Not acceptible.

100% correct.