Author Topic: Massachusetts Public Schools to Issue 'Fat' Report Cards on Students  (Read 1039 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I love it.   :)

Massachusetts Public Schools to Issue 'Fat' Report Cards on Students
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 

BOSTON —  Massachusetts health officials have approved regulations that would require sending children's Body Mass Index measurements home to parents.

The Public Health Council voted unanimously Wednesday to calculate student heights and weights, which are already measured annually, into a Body Mass Index measuring their overall proportions.

The results will be sent home to parents for students in first, fourth, seventh and 10th grades in a package explaining what they mean and how parents can best combat obesity.

Department of Public Health Medical Director Lauren Smith says Massachusetts will join Arkansas in notifying parents about a child's Body Mass Index. Eighteen other states require a BMI calculation.

The new regulations will be phased into schools over the next 18 months.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513232,00.html

body88

Re: Massachusetts Public Schools to Issue 'Fat' Report Cards on Students
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:00:05 PM »
Lol, I love my state!  I'm surprised Patrick isn't trying to tax kids for their extra fat cells.  However, I suspect he will appoint one of his campaign cronies to some made up position to run this whole thing and he/she will make 200k a year.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »
BMI is inaccurate.  It does not take into account gender, muscle mass or bone structure.  To put kids through this is innapropriate, particularly because it does not account for physical differences in kids.  I support changing to healthy menus and re-implimenting physical activity in schools.

Here's more big government for you...trying to control us again, just like they are doing with cigarettes.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »
BMI is inaccurate.  It does not take into account gender, muscle mass or bone structure.  To put kids through this is innapropriate, particularly because it does not account for physical differences in kids.  I support changing to healthy menus and re-implimenting physical activity in schools.

Here's more big government for you...trying to control us again, just like they are doing with cigarettes.

What he said
S

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
What he said

My son just turned 15,he is 5'5 and 170lbs[8th grader].The doctor said according to the BMI he is obese.This kid has been lifting since he was 7 years old,has abs and not an ounce of fat on him and can bench 215 deadlift 300 and squat 300 with no belt or wraps.Yet,according to the BMI he is obese.Thats the dumbest measurement there is.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »
I'm glad schools are trying to help with the obesity epidemic but the BMI is just not a good measurement, particularly taking it into jr high and high school ages.  It doesn't even differentiate males vs females.
I have a higher end Tanita body composition professional scale which is much better.  Under water BF measurements are best.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:09:48 PM »
LOL im clinically obese according to my bmi I have to lose like 10 lbs to be considered overweight hahaha, it is inaccurate however most HS kids dont lift so it would probably be accurate for the majority of kids.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:14:35 PM »
I don't think the issue is whether BMI is the most accurate method, it's whether schools should take steps to help combat obesity.  It's an epidemic in this country.  I have no problem at all with them measuring kids and sending the results to the parents. 

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:25:48 PM »
They should do it to every citizen  :)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 01:29:32 PM »
Schools should do something about obesity.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 02:04:04 PM »
I don't think the issue is whether BMI is the most accurate method, it's whether schools should take steps to help combat obesity.  It's an epidemic in this country.  I have no problem at all with them measuring kids and sending the results to the parents. 

I also dont need some a-hole teacher,who is probably a big fat slob himself or herself having ANYTHING to do with my sons fitness level.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
I also dont need some a-hole teacher,who is probably a big fat slob himself or herself having ANYTHING to do with my sons fitness level.

Sounds like all they're doing is providing information. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 04:45:40 PM »
 :)

Mass. Parents Angry Over Kids Sent Home With 'Fat Reports'
Published July 17, 2010

Massachusetts parents are angry and dismayed over a public school policy that sees students getting sent home with “fat letters,” myFOXboston.com reported late Friday.

Many schools across the state began sending Body Mass Index (BMI) reports and letters home with students in order to flag possible obesity issues to parents.

"To have a piece of paper like this come home in their backpack with them is very, very concerning to me," said mother Lori-Ann Sumner, whose nine-year-old daughter Shelby -- an active gymnast and athlete -- was characterized as “borderline overweight.”

"Her BMI was 19.43, which brought her to 84.38 percent, and 85th percentile is considered overweight,” said social worker Sumner, who is worried that children and parents will take the information in the wrong way.

"It could be a good tool if you know how to utilize it, but they are going home blindly to parents [to whom] it is just numbers and they don't know how to interpret it," Sumner said.

Shelby, who is 90 pounds and just over four-foot-nine, did not take the letter to heart but fears some of her more sensitive or insecure peers might.

"I just kind of chuckled and threw it back in my backpack," said Shelby. "It was like, whatever. I think I would be considered big for my grade and age but definitely not overweight."

Memorial Elementary School in Medway, Mass., is required by law to calculate each student's BMI to determine healthy proportions.

Click here for more from MyFoxBoston.com.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
lol @ being sent home with "fat letters."  :D This might wreck the self esteem of some poor little fatties.

They need to come up with something better than BMI, although for kids it may be closer to an accurate assessment of health than it is for adults. When you are an adult with muscle mass that creates all kinds of problems for accuracy using BMI.
!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 12:22:50 AM »

yeah, schools exist to prepare the population for productive lives.  they detect shortcomings in personal development, skills and content, and address them.  nothing wrong with detecting and addressing unhealthy weight.  *although I prefer BF% as the measurement they use

Without this.... another 50 years of 'facebook generation' upbringings and we're going to have a seriously fat nation.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
yeah, schools exist to prepare the population for productive lives.  they detect shortcomings in personal development, skills and content, and address them.  nothing wrong with detecting and addressing unhealthy weight.  *although I prefer BF% as the measurement they use

Without this.... another 50 years of 'facebook generation' upbringings and we're going to have a seriously fat nation.

We already have a seriously fat nation.  I don't know if i like these "Fat report cards",  i think there are probably better ways out there to approach this.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 10:20:34 AM »
Why do they need fat report cards? How about bringing back gym, recess and the other various forms of exercise that schools have done away with over the last two decades? I had to take 1/2 a year of gym my freshman year of high school and that was it. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
Why do they need fat report cards? How about bringing back gym, recess and the other various forms of exercise that schools have done away with over the last two decades? I had to take 1/2 a year of gym my freshman year of high school and that was it. 

We have to fund wars not gym.