Author Topic: Should parents put GPS in their kids?  (Read 1853 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Should parents put GPS in their kids?
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »

For those who say 'yes', how much should it cost per month? 

ASJChaotic

Re: Should parents put GPS in their kids?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
For those who say 'yes', how much should it cost per month? 

depends what kind of a parent you are, if you are the britney spears kind, then yes

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »
Parents today are turning their kids into terrified nerds.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »

I've got my daughter in a really nice neighborhood.  Sure, there are the occasional property crimes, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone being kidnapped there. 

When I was a kid, I could play outside unsupervised for hours.  I knew where I could and could not go and who I could and could not play with. 

My daughter's paranoid mom, however, will not allow our child this freedom.  I thought about buying a house approximately 200 feet from where they currently live.  That way, kiddo could come over whenever she wanted without having to wait for her mother to bring her or for me to come pick her up.  Well, Ms. Paranoia threw a fit (even though I hadn't even put in an offer on the place!) and said she would NEVER allow the kid to walk to my place alone.  "All it takes is one second!" 

C'mon now, if you're watching from the window and I *know* she's coming over, what the hell is going to happen to her? 

So, is GPS the answer we need...for that 'just in case'?  Big Brother is so happy we're even having this conversation.

:-\

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »
I've got my daughter in a really nice neighborhood.  Sure, there are the occasional property crimes, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone being kidnapped there. 

When I was a kid, I could play outside unsupervised for hours.  I knew where I could and could not go and who I could and could not play with. 

My daughter's paranoid mom, however, will not allow our child this freedom.  I thought about buying a house approximately 200 feet from where they currently live.  That way, kiddo could come over whenever she wanted without having to wait for her mother to bring her or for me to come pick her up.  Well, Ms. Paranoia threw a fit (even though I hadn't even put in an offer on the place!) and said she would NEVER allow the kid to walk to my place alone.  "All it takes is one second!" 

C'mon now, if you're watching from the window and I *know* she's coming over, what the hell is going to happen to her? 

So, is GPS the answer we need...for that 'just in case'?  Big Brother is so happy we're even having this conversation.

:-\

If you're talking about abduction by some pumphard dude your daughter is more likely to get struck by lightning.
from incomplete data

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
I prefer to arm my child.  He can mow down kidnappers on his own. 

Stavios

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »

exactly

sure there are some crazy fucks how there but the kids should not be scared to live their life for that

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »
My parents use to leave me places to "see" if I could find my way home :(

Stavios

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »
My parents use to leave me places to "see" if I could find my way home :(

lol really ?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »
GPS and other types of tracking are used/being developed and are great ideas, in place of paranoia and various over the top actions that aren't justified.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »

Stavios

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »

C'mon dude ;D

bro it actually happened to a dude we were friends with when we were young  :D

his dad was a crazy fuck, he was in the military and wanted to teach him life  ;D

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »
bro it actually happened to a dude we were friends with when we were young  :D

his dad was a crazy fuck, he was in the military and wanted to teach him life  ;D

Jeez,where would he leave him? city/woods?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »
No... let the kids fucking play.

Fuck this fascist crap.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »
No... let the kids fucking play.

Fuck this fascist crap.
I only support this for the kids who live near a certain "night spot" in the Toronto area. ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »
I only support this for the kids who live near a certain "night spot" in the Toronto area. ;D

LOL!!!

That'll teach those fat asses living over "sneaky's"...

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
For the love of fuck, keep your children away from pumphard!!!
from incomplete data

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 12:03:15 PM »
When I was a kid I would go outside and play with friends in the neighborhood all day and my parents wouldn't see me until the sun came down.  Sometimes we'd ride our bikes 5-6 miles away.  Never had a problem and my parents never thought twice about it.

All this stranger danger bullshit and parents going crazy about keeping their kids in sight at all times is ridiculous.  Just going to cause a lot of security and confidence issues later in life for these kids.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
IN their kids??

seems kind of drastic, no?

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »
Yes, especially if you have a teenage daughter. This idea that you should trust your kids and that they have a right to privacy is naive. Remember when you were a kid? Never trust your kids. Always check up on them. And the only rights they have is the rights you allow them to have. That room they sleep in is not "their" room. It's a room you allow them to use. They own nothing. Everything they have is what someone else has given them.

When they are out on their own then they can do wha they please.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
When i lived in croatia for a couple of years, beeing a kid, i remember this smiling man in a car offering me some chocolate, ohh brother

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
Bad idea.  Patented as "KidJack", it would be advertised to parents to virtually eliminate the threat of kidnapping.  As time goes on and people become more familiar with it, it would be huge problem with personal security.  Being tracked down by an EX, disgruntled worker etc.  If this were introduced years ago, there would be a line of people at QO's door.

I like the system we have today.....Darwinism at it's finest.
\

dustin

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »

Truer words have never been spoken.

I remember reading an article about it in Scientific America just as I got out of highschool, and that's when things started getting really bad in my town. I went back to the HS to pick up my younger bros from time to time, and each year the kid's got more and more inbred, emo, protected. Now this generation of super emo f*ggots is starting to shoot the fucking place up all the time!

I live in a pretty laid back Canadian city, barely over 70,000 people here and before my youngest bro graduated he never went to school. It was always shut down because of bomb threats, suicides, violence with knives and guns, etc. We had lots of scraps when I was growing up and you beat each other's face in, then shake hands, then go party or smoke a doobie somewhere.. No one ever got shot the fuck up by a World of Warcraft recluse. :-\

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 04:42:47 PM »
Yup, times are changing.  What happened to all the kids outside playing football.  Now they are kept indoors behind a videogame console or computer.  Must be getting ready for a life on Getbig. ;D
\

FOR REAL

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »
Imagine being GPSed as a high school kid....

Mom: Where are you staying tonight?
HS Kid: I'm over at Billy's house
Mom: Oh, then why does this GPS thing tell me you are currently at Kim's?! Her parents are out of town this weekend too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HS Kid: I HATE YOU MOM, DO YOU WANT ME TO BE A VIRGIN MY WHOLE LIFE LIKE VINCE GOODRUM?!

FOR REAL