Author Topic: Nick Diaz Makes Mockery of CSAC Drug Testing Procedures  (Read 905 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Nick Diaz Makes Mockery of CSAC Drug Testing Procedures
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
Besides amusement, what else is there to take away from Nick Diaz's recent statement that he smokes weed before every fight?  Here he is:

"I can pass a drug test in eight days with herbal cleansers. I drink 10 pounds of water and sweat out 10 pounds of water every day. I'll be fine."

One of the dirty secrets in MMA (and every other professional sport) is the widespread use of performance enhancing drugs.  Many fight camps have their own testing labs on payroll, and while this seems like a great thing from the outside, it's also a conduit to cycling off the drugs expertly.

The current drug testing system does not prevent the use of performance enhancers.  It only motivates fighters to learn the way to cycle off in time to pass, and to pay more to get the newest drugs that are just as good but aren't on the banned list yet.  Given CSAC's budget, the top fighters will always have the money to stay ahead of the curve in this regard.  The rules as they stand overwhelmingly favor rich fighters over poor, and fighters in big camps over fighters in smaller camps.  All for what, so we can delude ourselves into believing our sport is clean?

To my mind marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug, but it's still a banned substance, and it clearly did not take a genius to figure out a way around the testing.

The drug testing system, not unlike the war on drugs generally, is in need of serious reform.  How long will we delude ourselves?  Nick Diaz is coming out and telling us he will break the rules and get away with it.  How can a system be remotely legitimate if he does?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: Nick Diaz Makes Mockery of CSAC Drug Testing Procedures
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »
Totally irrelevant to this thread- But god do I hate Nick Diaz

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:31:10 PM »
Diaz is an idiot. He complains of no sponsors and low pay and look how he acts.
Does he really think people want to market and sponsor someone with his attitude.
Shame...He is a decent fighter.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 03:04:14 AM »
im the type og guy that looks for the good in people and overlook thier faults, but them diaz  brothers are just straight out thugs that will only give this sport a bad name instead of a good name imo. they are thugs that just happen to get lucky and fell into a great bjj/mma camp, its not the weed thing at all, i used to smoke tons of weed, its the way they carry themselves in the cage and in the public. i cant understand them guys,they could be so much better off with sponsors and such if they chilled out and stopped acting like punks
R

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »
Suprisingly, Gilbert Melendez smokes just as much weed as they do (diaz bros.)  Last time they rolled through when Nick fought Kj, they were blown the whole time, a couple buddies of mine actually sparked them up, and then got them to crank call me.  They sounded like fuckin fools.
Predictions
 40/61

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
Besides amusement, what else is there to take away from Nick Diaz's recent statement that he smokes weed before every fight?  Here he is:

"I can pass a drug test in eight days with herbal cleansers. I drink 10 pounds of water and sweat out 10 pounds of water every day. I'll be fine."

One of the dirty secrets in MMA (and every other professional sport) is the widespread use of performance enhancing drugs.  Many fight camps have their own testing labs on payroll, and while this seems like a great thing from the outside, it's also a conduit to cycling off the drugs expertly.

The current drug testing system does not prevent the use of performance enhancers.  It only motivates fighters to learn the way to cycle off in time to pass, and to pay more to get the newest drugs that are just as good but aren't on the banned list yet.  Given CSAC's budget, the top fighters will always have the money to stay ahead of the curve in this regard.  The rules as they stand overwhelmingly favor rich fighters over poor, and fighters in big camps over fighters in smaller camps.  All for what, so we can delude ourselves into believing our sport is clean?

To my mind marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug, but it's still a banned substance, and it clearly did not take a genius to figure out a way around the testing.

The drug testing system, not unlike the war on drugs generally, is in need of serious reform.  How long will we delude ourselves?  Nick Diaz is coming out and telling us he will break the rules and get away with it.  How can a system be remotely legitimate if he does?

considering he had the biggest win of his career (his win over Gomi) changed to a NC becuase he was stoned,and considering that NC probably cost him a lot of money........

nick diaz is pretty freakin stoopid

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »
I have to go against the grain.  I like the Diaz bros, their fight game and most importantly, their (or Nick's) use  of weed before every fight. There's really not a lot of pro athletes like him that talk all the shit he does and in some way that makes him good for the game.  Remember that fight he had against Gomi in Pride?  One of the best fight ever IMO.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 11:04:20 AM »
I have to go against the grain.  I like the Diaz bros, their fight game and most importantly, their (or Nick's) use  of weed before every fight. There's really not a lot of pro athletes like him that talk all the shit he does and in some way that makes him good for the game.  Remember that fight he had against Gomi in Pride?  One of the best fight ever IMO.

X2.. I love Nate, Nick is a little to mouthy and cocky for me, but I sitll love their fight game. I kind of like the attitude to, cause it's  not fake.. I think both those guys would get down wherever. You got to kind of respect that aspect.

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 08:55:47 AM »
Lot of class he showed Frank after that ass whipping.