Author Topic: Gyms shut on Good Friday  (Read 5371 times)

io856

Re: Gyms shut on Good Friday
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 12:48:47 AM »
Where I live, Manhattan, the gyms/healthclubs can run $150-200 a month.
holy sh*t  :o

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »
not many hardcore gyms left in sydney...

terrili's big one is gone but he still has a smaller one... is mitsos's one still open? tony?

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 12:52:32 AM »
Where I live, Manhattan, the gyms/healthclubs can run $150-200 a month.

Unless the gym was providing a hot women to shower and dry me after my workout, I wouldn't pay that :D

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 12:52:45 AM »
webcke how much do they charge you each month?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 12:58:13 AM »
webcke how much do they charge you each month?

Around $70 a month.
No doubt about it...

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 12:59:36 AM »
But surely that isn't the average cost of a gym membership?

In Manhattan, there pretty much are no hardcore gyms left. So, I'm basically talking about health clubs like Equinox. The ones in my area charge about 2K a year.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 01:01:04 AM »
the gyms that charge that much know what there doing, the less the memberships fees are the less desirable members you get.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2009, 01:02:44 AM »
Around $70 a month.
that ain't too bad... i think they were expecting to be able to get around $100 per month but they can only do that right in the city...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 01:02:51 AM »
A thread like this makes you realise just how many Aussies have nothing better to do on Good Friday.

Indeed.   ;)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 01:05:35 AM »
that ain't too bad... i think they were expecting to be able to get around $100 per month but they can only do that right in the city...

Yeah, my gym is probably the cheapest in Cronulla. All the other gyms are dominated by the rich mummies.

No doubt about it...

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2009, 01:06:43 AM »
Unless the gym was providing a hot women to shower and dry me after my workout, I wouldn't pay that :D

A guy at work was telling about a place like this in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, but it's not a gym. ;)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2009, 01:09:47 AM »

I'm not a member of fitness first, if thats what you mean.

I think Fitness First Platinum right on Wanda Beach here in Cronulla is a couple of thousand a year. More of a health club though, so it appeals to the target demographic (rich housewives)
No doubt about it...

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 01:12:11 AM »
I'm not a member of fitness first, if thats what you mean.

I think Fitness First Platinum right on Wanda Beach here in Cronulla is a couple of thousand a year. More of a health club though, so it appeals to the target demographic (rich housewives)
ah i thought you went to the one at sylvania...

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2009, 01:13:29 AM »
A guy at work was telling about a place like this in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, but it's not a gym. ;)

I've been told that some Eastern Europeans have set up some "knocking shops" in my home town :D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »
ah i thought you went to the one at sylvania...

Nah, been there a few times. A few mates go there.

Same story though, everytime i went it was fucking packed, plus it's a bit of a hike from Cronulla.
No doubt about it...

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2009, 01:16:15 AM »
thank god other markets are open, i can't believe the stock exchanged is closed today.

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2009, 01:19:16 AM »
thank god other markets are open, i can't believe the stock exchanged is closed today.

Gamblers Stock brokers need holidays too.

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2009, 01:27:57 AM »
FFF

At least City Gym's gays are openly gay.

FF is more gay but they are all in the closet.

LOL so true,

I was at Al's gym but they didn't pay their rent. I think Pete Wall was putting it all up his nose. There was nothing else left.

There are many things that piss you off about Fitness First. Sent a letter in the mail saying they would be charging $15 for a locker unless you told them differently. The pressure to join when all i went in to do was ask questions (the old line 'this counts as your first visit and we can only give this discount on your first visit').

Taken some good equipment away lately and replaced them with junk (at Al's we could shove the bar in the wall for T-Bar's like Ronnie does). Personal trainers seem to have a run of the gym. One of them some dumb ugly lesbian started loading plates onto the racks of a calf machine while i was in the middle of a set. One decent machine for hamstrings, i had to work something else out.

Anyway enough bitching, Messiah open up in Sydney. I know your 24/7 rule i would have gone their today. Every day  ;)

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »
Fitness first have financial issues, more than 40% of their clubs are non profitable, their accountants and lawyers are looking into the costs involved in exercising a starbucks type restructure of the company, to help make them more profitable, so some centres may close in the next 12 months.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2009, 01:35:39 AM »
LOL so true,

I was at Al's gym but they didn't pay their rent. I think Pete Wall was putting it all up his nose. There was nothing else left.

There are many things that piss you off about Fitness First. Sent a letter in the mail saying they would be charging $15 for a locker unless you told them differently. The pressure to join when all i went in to do was ask questions (the old line 'this counts as your first visit and we can only give this discount on your first visit').

Taken some good equipment away lately and replaced them with junk (at Al's we could shove the bar in the wall for T-Bar's like Ronnie does). Personal trainers seem to have a run of the gym. One of them some dumb ugly lesbian started loading plates onto the racks of a calf machine while i was in the middle of a set. One decent machine for hamstrings, i had to work something else out.

Anyway enough bitching, Messiah open up in Sydney. I know your 24/7 rule i would have gone their today. Every day  ;)

I'd say 90% of the personal trainers at all the fitness firsts are the guys who get their qualifications at FIA (Fitness Institute of Australia). 6 weeks and you are a fully qualified personal trainer.

I've almost finished my diploma of physical fitness and good 'ol tafe and it has taken me 18 months. Tafe is a much better option for anyone serious about becoming a trainer.
No doubt about it...

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2009, 01:36:27 AM »
Fitness first have financial issues, more than 40% of their clubs are non profitable, their accountants and lawyers are looking into the costs involved in exercising a starbucks type restructure of the company, to help make them more profitable, so some centres may close in the next 12 months.

I don't know much about Starbucks but i am guessing if they are like FF then they just opened too many stores to try and knock all the competition out.

Bunnings Warehouse does the same, i know the hardware industry and i can bet there is fuck all business to take away from their competition anyway but they keep opening stores to try and own it all when all they are doing is competiting with each other. Most of them lose money.

At the end of the day Accountants run these things, if FF isn't making money then they'll shut stores, or in the meantime not open on a Public Holiday to save. Mine was open on New Years day, i mean you can't open on New Years day then shut 3 months later on Good Friday.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2009, 01:38:39 AM »

Really.....

Can't say i am surprised though.........they seem to be opening new gyms everyday. Sooner or later it will have to slow down.

I heard from a mate who use to be a trainer at Fitness First that like almost 50% of their members quit within the first few months, but are still locked into their contracts. So they make a fair deal of their money off people who no longer go to the gym.
No doubt about it...

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2009, 01:44:32 AM »
I'd say 90% of the personal trainers at all the fitness firsts are the guys who get their qualifications at FIA (Fitness Institute of Australia). 6 weeks and you are a fully qualified personal trainer.

I've almost finished my diploma of physical fitness and good 'ol tafe and it has taken me 18 months. Tafe is a much better option for anyone serious about becoming a trainer.

I'm at Bondi Junction and i will admit some of the guys would know what they are doing. But some are stupid, i cannot see the point of doing supersets on a beginner. They come up with this fancy shit to make out they have some advanced training.

A girl i work with uses one at the Park Street FF. Apparantly many male trainers there train female clients for 'free' if you know what i mean. She gets it too now because i told her his program was rubbish and showed her what to do so she went back to him and said she wouldn't need him. He offered to train her for free to try and screw her but i doubt she'll put out. Too busy manipulating Beta males ;).

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2009, 01:49:40 AM »
everyone should have a basic free weight set up at home.. in case the gym is closed.

but.. some of you dont take your training that seriously. 

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2009, 01:54:15 AM »
Really.....

Can't say i am surprised though.........they seem to be opening new gyms everyday. Sooner or later it will have to slow down.

I heard from a mate who use to be a trainer at Fitness First that like almost 50% of their members quit within the first few months, but are still locked into their contracts. So they make a fair deal of their money off people who no longer go to the gym.

Ahh and that's cream when owning a gym. I'm sure a guy like Messiah doesn't wish it to happen but you know you'll get that summer crowd who will die off.