Author Topic: Do we need another Bill Phillips?  (Read 3063 times)

The Renaissance Man

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • The truth of things is the chief nutriment.
Re: Do we need another Bill Phillips?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »
Great thread Topskin69.

Bill is a great guy and brought EAS to the next level, no doubt about it...

this industry reaps with hypocrisy but there is still hope.
G.M.W. ☼

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 07:33:50 PM »
I often thought that if Peter McGough could team up with a former pro, say Mike Francios,  Shawn Ray or Troy "Zukester" and Tom Price, and come up with a e-mag or a magazine, that was no Bullshit, informative, and no ghost written articles that it might do well. If not pitch a idea to ESPN2 and have a show as well. 

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 07:42:12 PM »

I appreciate the feedback. As emo as it might sound, I care about bodybuilding, as I see it that it shares valid parallels with various existential ideas. And as much as the silliness is rightfully made fun of here at getbig, I think that we overlook the aspects of this subculture that appealed to us in the first place.

That said, I would love to see a turnaround in this industry. I think the very first thing that needs to be done is that we need to not only accept the fact that this is a subculture, and nothing more, but to also embrace that idea. We act as if that is a bad thing...we really don't need mainstream acceptance, (not that it would ever happen). However I think that we could get it out more in the public eye.

The only way to do this in my opinion is to have a reality show on the topic. Once people can identify with the philosophical reason, and hardships that are involved in bodybuilding, will it get some of the respect that it deserves. When one only sees the end-product, (the oiled up man in thong), it will always be seen as silly to the lay person.

M!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
There also needs to be less of this "gay mess" (read schmoes) around, or at least not as overt. For the past couple of yrs, my eyes have been opened about that. And it makes me ashamed of even lifting weights or say  "i follow bodybuilding"

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »
bill phillips made his initial cash selling the underground steroid hand book.
he did bring some great products to the industry, but bragged about making $50 000 per day profit to the very people he was overcharging. (300 g creatine $45.00 wholesale!).

a prominant pro told me he wrote alot of the drug how to articles for mm 2k and never got paid for them. he also said that bill was in and out of rehab for cocaine problems.

bill was a marketing genius, but a huge hypocrite.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
My first exposure to steriods was Bill's book The Anabolic Review or Anabolic Reference Guide  (I think that was the name) back in 1996.  Boy oh boy did that shit open my eyes and pop my cherry.  All my dreams of eating chicken and rice and taking the Muscletech stack to become a pro quickly went down the toilet. ;D

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »
we never needed the first bill phillips.. we do not need another.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
The future is the web not print mags...It was all about timing with Phillips...He cashed in at the perfect time...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 02:00:41 AM »
we never needed the first bill phillips.. we do not need another.

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 02:12:01 AM »

c r e e p y

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »

c r e e p y

so is the guy with Bill!!

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »

c r e e p y

Is that his brother, Stan Phillips?
D

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 02:29:42 PM »
Phillips was not without his faults...and towards the end, he completly lost the plot.....

M!

Lost the plot? He did everything right it seems, made a fortune. Major success story.

There was a lot of deception involved and using the "honest" angle to shift into the supplement business.

Lots copied the formula. Musclemag with Muscletech. Testosterone mag with Biotest and moving away from the steroid crowd (who don't buy that crap). And etc.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »
I got to thinking the other day.... I'm not sure how many of you on this board were around in the hey days of MM2k, (some of you were for sure), and he does get made fun of a lot, but Bill Phillips had the right idea about a number of things.

STOP right there...Dan Duchaine and TC laouma <sp?> MADE the mag...

Buttmunch just stuffed his lycra shorts and took pix of him squatting...

PS <TC ws deep glute  ;D  >
carpe` vaginum!

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »
Lost the plot? He did everything right it seems, made a fortune. Major success story

Well...yes he did make a fortune, when the mag was catering to the hardcore BBing crowd. You might remember that he completly reworked the concept of the magazine to be more about "Fitness," and shortly thereafter it completly went in the toliet. Phillips soon sold EAS, ditched the mag, and is still probably swiming in a sea of cash.

He lost it in the sense that MM2k would still be a powerhouse, if they never deviated from that course. Also most of the people that worked with Phillips had nothing but good things to say about him in the early days of the mag....it wasnt untill he was out of his mind on coke, and got really full of himself, that he pissed of TC, Duchaine, Poliqioun, etc.... Of course by that point it didnt matter....

The point of all this is that we need SOMEONE with enough visibility that can operate in this industry in an out-of-the-box fashion. Be that Magazine or web...who can step up to the plate?

M!