Author Topic: HIIT vs. Slow/Long Style: too brutal to do for months on end?  (Read 6115 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
So I just got through my frist week of intergrated HIIT, which I had done once before years ago; that shit is so brutal. I don't know if I can do it non-stop for months. Once in a while it must be ok to do normal cardio, no?

Opinions weigh in...
I hate the State.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: HIIT vs. Slow/Long Style: too brutal to do for months on end?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:50:16 AM »
So I just got through my frist week of intergrated HIIT, which I had done once before years ago; that shit is so brutal. I don't know if I can do it non-stop for months. Once in a while it must be ok to do normal cardio, no?

Opinions weigh in...

From what I have read, you shouldn't do HIIT on consecutive days. 

~

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
From what I have read, you shouldn't do HIIT on consecutive days. 

Usually have a day inbetween, in other words weights; like this weight day>cardio day>weight day> cardio day, etc.
I hate the State.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
How many days are you doing it?

IMHO there's no problem in doing HIIT 3 times a week all year round. BUt if you did want to back off the HIIT a bit, why not HIIT once a week and regular cardio twice a week.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:16:15 PM »
Usually have a day inbetween, in other words weights; like this weight day>cardio day>weight day> cardio day, etc.

That sounds like a reasonable plan.  Your body has a chance to recover and you can maintain the high intensity each workout. 
~

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 12:19:38 PM »
How many days are you doing it?

IMHO there's no problem in doing HIIT 3 times a week all year round. BUt if you did want to back off the HIIT a bit, why not HIIT once a week and regular cardio twice a week.

I will do it as long as I can. There is one exception, after leg day, it's my day off, don't do shit then and certainly no HIIT.
I hate the State.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
I will do it as long as I can. There is one exception, after leg day, it's my day off, don't do shit then and certainly no HIIT.

That day of rest is vital.  A lot of people overtrain.  It is difficult to walk that line between pushing yourself and overdoing it.  Just "listen" to your body as you proceed.

~

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 03:49:32 AM »
depends on what you are doing for hiit.

if sprinting/walking or something very very physically taxing then yes i would not do it everyday.

however if you are using a bike for hiit or something similarly easier than full ody movements then you could do it every day.

personally i think its best so start with the bike, then stepper, then rower, then eliptical, then treadmill, etc building up and changing every month.
175lbs by 31st July

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
Did Hit for the first time ever in my contest prep. It is very easy to come down too fast and lose muscle if you are not careful. It works, but do not over do it. For me I was so used to traditional cardio that had a tough time buying into only 15 mins.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 03:04:32 PM »
this is what i do:

I integrate my tabata days with regular roadwork (aka a somewhat challenging job around my neighboorhood)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 01:01:05 PM »
Lee Haney, Porter Cottrell and Dorian Yates, all prefer powerwalking outdoors.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »
depends on what you are doing for hiit.

if sprinting/walking or something very very physically taxing then yes i would not do it everyday.

however if you are using a bike for hiit or something similarly easier than full ody movements then you could do it every day.

Agreed; i do HIIT most days of the week. The more often it's done the faster the bod adapts, gets used to it and it becomes no more difficult than any other cardio. And cardio from my experience is more effective done more often than less.

Typically if i go back to longer cardio after HIIT the longer cardio is easier which tells me HIIT is very effective. Either/or, one or the other work though, just personal preference.

The whole thing about needing rest days is just another theory, one in vogue now. The body can recuperate/take more than some give it credit for.

gethotabs

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 12:51:51 AM »
Deicide(cool name btw), the first week is always the toughest because our body absorbs the sudden change(HIIT) and adapts to it by causing us so much pain. I had the same experience when I joined Wushu and just the warm-up made me pass out(it was tough as hell including the stretching) but to my surprise, I survived the first two months and looking back, it was a laugh realizing the "giving-up" thoughts I had and to think the session becomes harder by passing days. So anyway, I went to the gym and now on my 6th week and plans to do the HIIT thing as soon as I hit plateau. I aim for that elusive six pack abs well as the next fit bastard so more work for us...
----

Learn the complete no-nonsense guide into having that six pack abs you've been always dreaming. No BS- only methods that yields results.
Get Six Pack Abs!

io856

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:15 AM »
That day of rest is vital.  A lot of people overtrain.  It is difficult to walk that line between pushing yourself and overdoing it.  Just "listen" to your body as you proceed.

whats gonna happen if god forbid you "over do" it  ;D

hahhahaha not many champions have had that attitude...