Author Topic: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases  (Read 1121 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:38:12 PM »
While some Somali pirates are threatening to take revenge for two deadly international assaults which disrupted their kidnapping plots the last week, the US military is mulling taking the fight to their bases.

Also, a US congressman's plane was reportedly fired upon by insurgents as he was taking off from Mogadishu.

"The U.S. military is considering attacks on pirate bases on land and aid for the Somali people to help stem ship hijackings off Africa’s east coast, defense officials said," Bloomberg News reports.

The report continues, "The military also is drawing up proposals to aid the fledgling Somalia government to train security forces and develop its own coast guard, said the officials, who requested anonymity. The plans will be presented to the Obama administration as it considers a coordinated U.S. government and international response to piracy, the officials said."

"Somali insurgents fired mortars towards U.S. congressman Donald Payne as he left the Somali capital on a rare visit by a U.S. politician to the anarchic Horn of Africa nation, police said," Reuters reports. "'One mortar landed at the airport when Payne's plane was due to fly and five others after he left and no one was hurt,' Abukar Hassan, a police officer at Mogadishu airport, told Reuters."

"The plane of the congressman was leaving and the mortars started falling. There were no casualties, but the attack was aimed at the congressman. He flew out safely," the AU official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Payne, congressman from New Jersey and a member of the foreign affairs committee, arrived in Mogadishu hours earlier for talks with President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and his prime minister on rampant piracy off the country's coast.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
There is rampant piracy off the coast of Somalia because the people have lost all their livelihood and ability to earn a living.  European hospitals and factories are hiring companies to dump toxic waste around their shores and on their soil while other countries are overfishing that part of the ocean.  Compound that with the fact that most of these pirates can't even read or write and in their eyes they are doing what's necessary to protect themselves and survive.  Not saying it's justifiable but that's the truth.  Somalia is another failed Islamic state propped up by a western backed government that exploded into chaos.     

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:38:31 AM »
While some Somali pirates are threatening to take revenge for two deadly international assaults which disrupted their kidnapping plots the last week, the US military is mulling taking the fight to their bases.

Also, a US congressman's plane was reportedly fired upon by insurgents as he was taking off from Mogadishu.

"The U.S. military is considering attacks on pirate bases on land and aid for the Somali people to help stem ship hijackings off Africa’s east coast, defense officials said," Bloomberg News reports.

The report continues, "The military also is drawing up proposals to aid the fledgling Somalia government to train security forces and develop its own coast guard, said the officials, who requested anonymity. The plans will be presented to the Obama administration as it considers a coordinated U.S. government and international response to piracy, the officials said."

"Somali insurgents fired mortars towards U.S. congressman Donald Payne as he left the Somali capital on a rare visit by a U.S. politician to the anarchic Horn of Africa nation, police said," Reuters reports. "'One mortar landed at the airport when Payne's plane was due to fly and five others after he left and no one was hurt,' Abukar Hassan, a police officer at Mogadishu airport, told Reuters."

"The plane of the congressman was leaving and the mortars started falling. There were no casualties, but the attack was aimed at the congressman. He flew out safely," the AU official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Payne, congressman from New Jersey and a member of the foreign affairs committee, arrived in Mogadishu hours earlier for talks with President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and his prime minister on rampant piracy off the country's coast.

What's with you and these pirates Rob? Seems your obsessed.
I hate the State.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:41:18 AM »
Look at Mogadishu on Google Earth.  It's almost scary...
S

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:05:15 AM »
Look at Mogadishu on Google Earth.  It's almost scary...

We are contributing editors to that mess. Check out the latest RP post on the CFL...
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:46:49 AM »
What's with you and these pirates Rob? Seems your obsessed.

At least he is obessing over this.  The Palin obsession was getting out of control.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:05:44 AM »
Mogadishu has little to do with piracy.
they come from a different area which is almost their own country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7623329.stm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090414.EPIRATES14ART1938/TPStory/Comment

Eyl is in Puntland, a region that has formed its own government, quite apart from the UN-sponsored government of Somalia that controls only a tiny area. The pirates of Puntland live in security, often with expensive cars and real estate.
Z

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:10:02 AM »
Thanks Joker...I was going to post that. Another country paid 2 million to these people..I'm sure they have very nice mud huts.
L

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:14:20 AM »
Thanks Joker...I was going to post that. Another country paid 2 million to these people..I'm sure they have very nice mud huts.

Samson has a new straw mat in his....

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »
Tough call. Attacking bases won't kill them all and cutting aid is useless because the good people there have no means to impact piracy. I just doubt we could do the amount of killing necessary to make piracy disappear.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »
Tough call. Attacking bases won't kill them all and cutting aid is useless because the good people there have no means to impact piracy. I just doubt we could do the amount of killing necessary to make piracy disappear.

Good Times.
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »
i think you combat it like terrorism, first ARM THE PPL ON THE BOATS FOR SHIT SAKE, then if they are taken hostage make it known to them and the pirates that they will not be negotiated for and the pirates will be killed if caught. After the pirates realize that there is no money in it and that they likely hood of them dying is pretty high i think most of them will quit, now they will probably turn to some other criminal way of making money but less piracy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:52 AM »

I think a bunch need to be made a very public example of as well as the crews trained to deal with these vermin.  

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 09:49:48 AM »
We don't have the balls to do what it would take.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 09:50:31 AM »
We don't have the balls to do what it would take.
sad but true, we live in a fantasy world for the most part.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »
sad but true, we live in a fantasy world for the most part.

It would take killing pirates and thousands of Somalis who live in the ports. Also, the lines of supply and customers would need disrupting (read killing). That would be the cheap part but giving aid, even food is difficult because they have no infrastructure.

It would be a huge mess. We should kill enough to feel better but not be foolish enough to expect any real change.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »
It would take killing pirates and thousands of Somalis who live in the ports. Also, the lines of supply and customers would need disrupting (read killing). That would be the cheap part but giving aid, even food is difficult because they have no infrastructure.

It would be a huge mess. We should kill enough to feel better but not be foolish enough to expect any real change.

Such a mess, it's sad, really sad.
I hate the State.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »
Such a mess, it's sad, really sad.

Even if we cared, they're probably beyond helping.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »
Even if we cared, they're probably beyond helping.

We always avoid short term messes for long term success. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:01 AM »
We always avoid short term messes for long term success. 

Wrong color + wrong religion * no oil = piss off :)

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53:37 AM »

what the heck are you talking about.
All of the aid that comes into that region goes through the port of Eyl already. The supply lines are there.
The reduction of stealing is required.
The area where the pirates are is well to do.
It was one of the main ports in North East Africa.

The easiest and least violent way to cut down on piracy is to formally recognize Puntaland as a country.
Make them responsible through aid and military intervention if required to take on the pirates and support them from any targeting from Moghadeshu.

This how it was done in the past. It seemed to work for over 300 years.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewarticle/articleid/2809148
Z

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »
i think you combat it like terrorism, first ARM THE PPL ON THE BOATS FOR SHIT SAKE, then if they are taken hostage make it known to them and the pirates that they will not be negotiated for and the pirates will be killed if caught. After the pirates realize that there is no money in it and that they likely hood of them dying is pretty high i think most of them will quit, now they will probably turn to some other criminal way of making money but less piracy.

How many people are on the boats? 30? 50?

After one fire fight, the pirates will bring 100... 200 people... It's not practical.

What you do is arm them all and let them fight it out... kill each other off.

Either that, or you absolutely decimate the entire country... completely... Mass genocide... Fuck it.