Author Topic: WAKE UP CALL: TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING STATE SOVEREIGNTY...  (Read 1599 times)

James

WAKE UP CALL: TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING STATE SOVEREIGNTY...

WAKE UP CALL: TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING SOVEREIGNTY
Tue Apr 14 2009 08:44:54 ET

AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry joined state Rep. Brandon Creighton and sponsors of House Concurrent Resolution (HCR) 50 in support of states’ rights under the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

“I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state,” Gov. Perry said. “That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the states’ rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our state from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union.”

Perry continued: "Millions of Texans are tired of Washington, DC trying to come down here to tell us how to run Texas."

A number of recent federal proposals are not within the scope of the federal government’s constitutionally designated powers and impede the states’ right to govern themselves. HCR 50 affirms that Texas claims sovereignty under the 10th Amendment over all powers not otherwise granted to the federal government.

It also designates that all compulsory federal legislation that requires states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties, or that requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding, be prohibited or repealed.

Developing...

[VIDEO]        http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/12227/

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
WAKE UP CALL: TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING STATE SOVEREIGNTY...

WAKE UP CALL: TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING SOVEREIGNTY
Tue Apr 14 2009 08:44:54 ET

AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry joined state Rep. Brandon Creighton and sponsors of House Concurrent Resolution (HCR) 50 in support of states’ rights under the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

“I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state,” Gov. Perry said. “That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the states’ rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our state from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union.”

Perry continued: "Millions of Texans are tired of Washington, DC trying to come down here to tell us how to run Texas."

A number of recent federal proposals are not within the scope of the federal government’s constitutionally designated powers and impede the states’ right to govern themselves. HCR 50 affirms that Texas claims sovereignty under the 10th Amendment over all powers not otherwise granted to the federal government.

It also designates that all compulsory federal legislation that requires states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties, or that requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding, be prohibited or repealed.

Developing...

[VIDEO]        http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/12227/

Good for them! :)
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
Texas is one of the few states in the US that could pull off independence I think.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Texas is one of the few states in the US that could pull off independence I think.

It's not about independence but rather state sovereignty and the belief that things are best done on a local level. At least that is what I subscribe to.
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
It's not about independence but rather state sovereignty and the belief that things are best done on a local level. At least that is what I subscribe to.

The stim money comes with a lot of strings and they want no part of it..

tonymctones

• Getbig V
actually we cannot i forget exactly why, something about after the civil war some legislation that doesnt allow states to leave the union. Before the civil war i believe legally we had the right but not anymore.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
The governor of Texas is upset that government is too big?

Isn't one of the biggest government money spenders ever a former governor of that state?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
The governor of Texas is upset that government is too big?

Isn't one of the biggest government money spenders ever a former governor of that state?

its about all the additional strings being attached to everything.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
its about all the additional strings being attached to everything.

Sometimes there are just strings attached... You gotta pay the piper.

Seriously though... If Texas really wants to leave... Go ahead... How fast do you think they'll be overrun by Mexico?

You think that it's a smart idea for a state that close to the Mexican border to not be a part of the US anymore? That seems like a very very bad mistake.

I'd let them go for it... I don't expect the sports teams to stay though.

Hereford

• Getbig V
actually we cannot i forget exactly why, something about after the civil war some legislation that doesnt allow states to leave the union. Before the civil war i believe legally we had the right but not anymore.

I am saying you guys could actually be functional as an independent sovergn nation. Not all states could do it.

Any state could leave, obviously states couldn't 'legally' leave before the civil war either...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: WAKE UP CALL: TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING STATE SOVEREIGNTY...
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 11:11:27 AM »
I am saying you guys could actually be functional as an independent sovergn nation. Not all states could do it.

Any state could leave, obviously states couldn't 'legally' leave before the civil war either...

Actually, yes they could technically... A state must ratify the US constitution... If they didn't, they weren't a state.

So, "technically", you could leave... Of course, the act of a War tends to get in the way at times, but yes... They could leave.

If the states had diplomatically left the Union in 1861, we very well may have a Confederate states of America today.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »

several states could do it ::)  What do you think Colorado would turn into Somolia? lol...  Some states would do better than others, but I'm sure most could at a minimum get by without it being a lawless failed stated.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 12:21:26 PM »
several states could do it ::)  What do you think Colorado would turn into Somolia? lol...  Some states would do better than others, but I'm sure most could at a minimum get by without it being a lawless failed stated.

Goddamnit Hugo that's not what I mean  :), You would have to admit Colorado would have a hard time, at least to start with because we don't produce much of what we consume. If the federal gvt got pissed because CO left the union, then what would happen if CO got 'cut off' and embargoed? How about WY and NV? These states produce very little of what modern society demands. Texas has a little of everything, they have ports, they would have a better go of it vs. a hostile federal gvt.

And yes, certian parts of the south and many cities would turn into Somalia.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 12:46:30 PM »
Goddamnit Hugo that's not what I mean  :), You would have to admit Colorado would have a hard time, at least to start with because we don't produce much of what we consume. If the federal gvt got pissed because CO left the union, then what would happen if CO got 'cut off' and embargoed? How about WY and NV? These states produce very little of what modern society demands. Texas has a little of everything, they have ports, they would have a better go of it vs. a hostile federal gvt.

And yes, certian parts of the south and many cities would turn into Somalia.
disagree, it wouldn't be as epic as you make it out.  There would be import/export for goods just like any other place.  As an example, it would be easy to say Wyoming doesn't have a little of everything so it would fail.  In reality the energy resources they export alone would have them living like saudi princes importing anything they want.  This is just assuming the question, could they.  Not assuming the states would have to go to war against the federal government or face an embargo.  I didn't think that was part of the senerio since Texas couldn't even pull that off, as much as they might think they could.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:05 PM »
The States of New England could do it.
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 01:02:45 PM »
Sometimes there are just strings attached... You gotta pay the piper.

Seriously though... If Texas really wants to leave... Go ahead... How fast do you think they'll be overrun by Mexico?

You think that it's a smart idea for a state that close to the Mexican border to not be a part of the US anymore? That seems like a very very bad mistake.

I'd let them go for it... I don't expect the sports teams to stay though.
hahah never been to texas have you holmes? we would be just fine bud...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 01:17:29 PM »

Texas is big. Lots of Mexican food there.
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
Texas is big. Lots of Mexican food there.
mostly tex mex food actually, traditional mexican food isnt actually all that appealing...to me anyways.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 01:21:41 PM »
mostly tex mex food actually, traditional mexican food isnt actually all that appealing...to me anyways.

I agree.  I've had it and it's not that great.  Much better in California. 

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »

True, Texas independently has some of the worst air quality in the US, due to all the barbequeing, etc. But, now that I think of it, Texas would be  poor independenct state, and very likely would end up being annexed by Mexico.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »
True, Texas independently has some of the worst air quality in the US, due to all the barbequeing, etc. But, now that I think of it, Texas would be  poor independenct state, and very likely would end up being annexed by Mexico.
LOL  ::) what makes you say that?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »

Many, Many times... You think you're stronger than Mexico's military? You go right ahead big guy.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 03:32:41 PM »
Like Mexico is going to invade Texas and America will just watch   lol

But wait, Texas isn't going to ever break from the union.  lol