Author Topic: Photos of where it all began in California  (Read 8205 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Photos of where it all began in California
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:34:38 AM »
I'm in the process of deleting some old photos from my hard drive and thought that some of you GetBiggers may be interested in some of these shots.

If you are at all interested, I'll be glad to post more before I get rid of them forever. At least I'll be able to find them again if Ron keeps them in the Get Big archives.

If one GetBigger can ID the majority of them and how they pertain  to California bodybuilding history , I'll gladly send a prize DVD or two.

First picture:

Name each of them and the current state in which they reside.

The Coach

Re: Photos of where it all began in California
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »
I'm in the process of deleting some old photos from my hard drive and thought that some of you GetBiggers may be interested in some of these shots.

If you are at all interested, I'll be glad to post more before I get rid of them forever. At least I'll be able to find them again if Ron keeps them in the Get Big archives.

If one GetBigger can ID the majority of them and how they pertain  to California bodybuilding history , I'll gladly send a prize DVD or two.

First picture:

Guy on the left is Bob Jodkewitz (sp).

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:45:24 AM »
Awesome thread thx for sharing.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:46:33 AM »

First picture:

Is the guy on the right phil hernon?  If so, I think he is in NY or somewhere on the east coast.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
Yea, Drug! You are entirely correct on Phil. He is on the east coast and if you have any questions for good old Phil, I'll be glad to pass them on the next time I call him.

Welcome, Cast. Glad to see someone enjoy this stuff.

Yea, Coach. That's Bob! Good friend! Great guy!

But you have not answered the entire question. Thanks for trying.

Is this photo familiar to anyone? Gotta be a real old timer to get this one correctly.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
Yea, Drug! You are entirely correct on Phil. He is on the east coast and if you have any questions for good old Phil, I'll be glad to pass them on the next time I call him.

Is this photo familiar to anyone? Gotta be a real old timer to get this one correctly.

Let him know a buddy of mine Scott Heaton says hello.  He trained with Phil at the old Powerhouse on University near ASU a long time ago.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:56:54 AM »
OK, I'll do that, Drug! More than likely within the week. Can you tell us what year that was?
________________________ ____________

Any old time bodybuilder (and some of you young guys too) have purchased a lemon-ade or two at this well-known shack.

Where's it exactly located and what kind of music do you usually hear while standing in line waiting to be served? (Trick question! - sort of.)

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »
Bob entered lots of contests and was usually ripped, then disappeared.  We know what happenned to Phil...interesting though.

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »

First picture:

epic cry for attention.  why not just email them to yourself so if you change your mindc about deleting them you'll still have a copy in your inbox?

Buzz363

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »
Thought Bob was in Hawaii running a gym. That was years ago though.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »
Hey stunt. I don't want to threadjack, here, but if you have any pics of the old(er) Hollywood days, I'll bet there is a board here you can put them on. I'd sure like to see some of those.

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
You start some of the best pic and history threads on here IMO.

Post away!

8)

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 06:28:22 PM »
hey stunt,if you have any of Barbarian David Paul,how about putting those ones up,,ones ya think that maybe werent in the mags...thanx man

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »

First picture:

can you put them up on google temporarily for some of us to copy... :D...i wouldnt leave them there though, cant understand why people give away their pictures for free to strangers.

Drama Queen

• Getbig IV
  • "Silence is argument carried on by other means''
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »

Caliber Fitness Headquarters  ???

ronrico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
The chess/checkers tables in Santa Monica, right in front of the original muscle beach sign. The home of the fitness revolution. The Hot Dog on a Stick stand also in front of the original muscle beach. It is right in front of the volleyball courts, and just south of the benches where some of the original old time muscle beach crew still come to sit at and enjoy each others company. Great photos, thanks for sharing. This is the home of the original seed.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 10:47:51 PM »

Is that the muscle boarding house reeves and george efferman etc lived at?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »

First picture:

And you are? 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »

First picture:

Stunt got any pics of the Mummy black guy dressed all in white on skates playing Hendricks on his guitar.... that's the music you'd here at the hot dog stand.
and keep moving!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 02:13:15 AM »
epic cry for attention.  why not just email them to yourself so if you change your mindc about deleting them you'll still have a copy in your inbox?

Seriousy you need to stfu and go away - why the fuck are you even here? You are clearly not a BB fan at all.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 06:01:16 AM »
Stunt got any pics of the Mummy black guy dressed all in white on skates playing Hendricks on his guitar.... that's the music you'd here at the hot dog stand.
[/quote]

I saw him when i visited Venice Beach in 1990,then when i came home i saw him in a film, he had a couple of lines in a film about a female assassin,can`t remember what it was called.Did you ever see the little black guy with no legs or arms who was sat on the floor rocking side to side to music.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 06:15:13 AM »

Settle down gimmick
X

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »
OK, I'll do that, Drug! More than likely within the week. Can you tell us what year that was?
________________________ ____________

Any old time bodybuilder (and some of you young guys too) have purchased a lemon-ade or two at this well-known shack.

Where's it exactly located and what kind of music do you usually hear while standing in line waiting to be served? (Trick question! - sort of.)

Its in santa monica where the Original pit was.  As far as music, I don't know, a bumb playin a guitar?
Most are all show no go!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »
Ronrico, Damn! You know that area well! That apartment building is one of the few original buildings left standing along that Santa Monica beachwalk. Back in the early 60's we had the opportunity to buy one of the few beachfront homes about 50 yards or so south of that red hot dog stand. It was on the market for about $32,000 if I recall correctly. It's gone now and in it's place is a avery modern and very expensive condo complex.

Ronrico, how many times have you "fine dined" at Big Dean's? Are you knowledgeable enough to describe that place and give some detailed info? I've been in there a number of times for a beer and a burger and always took a few moments to look at the old photos on the walls but I never did get the full account of the history of Big Dean's. I have heard that it was originally owned by one of the old time Muscle Beach regulars. Who was "Dean" anyway? A wrestler?

And speaking of 'old time regulars', I was at Dean's a couple of years ago when those original old timers were all sitting on one of the beach benches getting interviewed for some major network TV show. I had a chance to talk briefly with a few of them about the old days and one of the guys had his scrap-book filled with hundreds of photos he had taken during the peak of Muscle Beach's popularity .... Young Reeves, and Eifferman, and Dillinger, etc. and dozens of circus performers who came down there when out of work to practice on a small piece of lawn just south of the pier and adjacent to the beach-walk. Right where the lifeguard headquarters is presently situated - it appeared.

Those photos have been posted here somewhere and I'll do my best to find them once again and repost them for you late GetBiggers. Maybe Ron can lend a hand if there is any interest.

Right now most of those old time photos are on a disk in one of my various abodes in Tahoe, Simi Valley, Las Vegas, or the SF Bay Area. (I move around a lot.)

Chainsaw! Damn! What a name?!!! Why "Chainsaw"? Yes, you are correct about the Hot Dog stand location but the "music" should be recalled even more so. It was the music from the Merry Go Round a few yards NW of the stand. Here's one for ya... Name the movie that that Merry Go Round was featured in. The principal character in that movie had his office in the back.

Crown/Max, here's the "mummy" picture you requested. You must have been a little kid when you saw him because my three year old niece calls him "the Mummy" too. I ran into him a couple of weeks back and he wanted to sell me a T-shirt but I politely declined. Another popular and upcoming Venice Beach character is Tree Man (Lionel) who stands ten feet tall. My favorite is the "Guido" character who impersonates passer-byers without them being aware of it.

I never did see the little black guy in Venice, but I think I did see him in Las Vegas once. Actually he was getting picked up for a ride home in a big limo.

Many years ago the original So Cal "characters" (bodybuilders and circus performers) hung out at Muscle Beach in Santa Monica, but the real characters of the world have grown and expanded and can now be found just about anyplace in Southern California ..... especially on sunny Saturdays and sunny Sundays in Venice Beach while the bodybuilder and circus characters have moved on to more expensive environments such as gyms and spas and European health farms. (Gotta tie this one in somehow.)

JWB, I don't know if Reeves or Eifferman ever stayed in that Muscle Beach building as pictured above, but I think you may be referring to "Muscle House" which I believe is documented somewhere here on the internet. I think that Pudgy Stockton was somehow connected with Muscle House but I forget those details. I was never able to get a Muscle House address so I never did manage to take a photo of the 'historical' location.

Drama... NOPE, it's not Caliber Fitness Headquarters.

NYCbull, No time at present to load these photos at any other site, but I'll be glad to send ya some via IM if and when I get some time to do so. I'm traveling a lot at present on a hunt for great real estate buys. In fact, just this past hour we got back from a great tour up Lendero/Decker Canyon (that's Malibu, folks) and back down Malibu Canyon seeing some damn spectacular hill-top homes priced at $3,000,000 plus ..... waaaaayyy plus! Not for myself but I have family in the movie business who work too much to go house hunting on their own.

Sorry... off track... That last bit of info was for my good friend, Salt, who may find something he appreciates on here. Thanks for reading anyway, Salt!