Author Topic: Floor Presses, has anybody used them regularly?  (Read 7328 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Floor Presses, has anybody used them regularly?
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 07:48:40 AM »
Could never quite see the difference of doing floor presses instead of PR/Cage pin setting workouts. In either case, might want to start each rep from a 2 second dead stop at the bottom of the lift (whatever it may be). Increases starting and overall power greatly. Even timing and speed, for some. Good Luck.
F

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »
pin presses allow you to get into optimal bench position to perform the presses..

floor presses tend to put more emphasis on the pressing muscles themselves and feels abit safer due to the fact you stay under tension more often than not during the floor press where as the weight deloads into the pins/cage most pressers relax and the tension is lost when the load is no longer being bared.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »
When my shoulders were bothering me, I did these floor presses with dumbells. They take the last stretch of the movment out but do give a nice contracton. Not bad for variety.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 08:31:06 AM »
Just my view, that's all: Not too sure why the floor press would put more emphasis on the pressing muscles themselves. The PR/pin positions allow the 3 major pressing phases to be worked much better, each at their max resistance load. Resulting in much more focused  emphasis.

I can see how the confidence factor may enter, with the pressing, while  getting full support from the floor. And a BB'er would want that steady TUT. But you can get that same effect when using the PR in any phase positions. You do not have to touch the pin's or rest the bar on them during reps (most guy's use the touch and go method). Do not have to lockout either. Probably a case of a half dozen of one and 6 of the other. And what works the best for any individual. Good Luck.
F