Author Topic: GOP congressman booed mercilessly at Tea Party rally  (Read 2049 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
GOP congressman booed mercilessly at Tea Party rally
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »
Doesn't sound like a partisan event to me. 

April 18, 2009
GOP congressman booed mercilessly at Tea Party rally
Posted: 12:39 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby
(CNN) – Several Republican members of Congress spoke at Tea Party protests around the country on Wednesday. Some were applauded. Others heckled. But only one, it appears, was booed relentlessly for the entire duration of his speech: Rep. Gresham Barrett of South Carolina.

Barrett, who voted in favor of the $700 billion bailout to stabilize the financial sector, despised by many of the demonstrators, knew what he was getting into. South Carolina grassroots conservatives have been blasting the congressman for months because of his vote on the Bush administration's bill last October. Previewing his Tea Party speech earlier this week, The Greenville News wrote that Barrett was headed “into the Lion’s Den.”

But that may have been an understatement, according to video of his remarks captured by the South Carolina political Web site “The Palmetto Scoop.” From the moment he was introduced to the Greenville crowd, his speech was drowned out by boos, turned backs and angry shouts “Go Home!”

“I know you’re mad,” Barrett said, prepared for the chilly reception. “I know you're frustrated, and I hear you, and the American people hear you, and that’s what this thing is about, it’s about people being heard.”

Barrett got one of the loudest jeers of the speech when he told the crowd: “You may boo, you may turn your back, but I have devoted my life to the conservative cause.”

The booing and shouting continued for the entire five minutes Barrett was on stage. When he pointed out that he recently introduced a bill called the TEA Act to stop wasteful government spending, one protested yelled repeatedly: “Too late!”

Much of this might have been forgotten if Barrett were returning to his safe seat in Congress in 2010, but the Westminster Republican is leaving the House to seek the South Carolina governorship next year. He’s gearing up for what’s likely to be a tough three-way Republican primary against Attorney General Henry McMaster and Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer, a contest in which Barrett will almost certainly have to answer for his bailout vote.

Barrett spokesman B.J. Boling said the crowd’s reaction “was about what we expected” and stressed that the congressman’s “conservative credentials are unquestionable.” He noted that the National Journal has ranked Barrett as the fourth most conservative member of the U.S House.

“This is about disagreeing over one vote, and the congressman and the folks who were there agree on a whole lot more than just that,” Boling said. “He has a record of fiscal conservativism that I believe is unmatched in the House.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/18/gop-congressman-booed-mercilessly-at-tea-party-rally/#more-48139

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: GOP congressman booed mercilessly at Tea Party rally
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
Clearly CNN made this story up. Some getbig posters like True Adonis and Busted, etc.. report this protest was about a black man being President.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:54:53 AM »
crickets

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »
crickets
LOL man ill give the left this they are very shrewd at manipulating the media, head of the GOP? LOL who was the head of the Dem party when bush was pres?, Tax day being a shill for the right...LOL they are very effective are manipulating their viewers.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »
bump for a response from you pelosi nut hugging astro turf yelling lefties  ;D

Come on T.A., jag, lurker, etc....i thought these things were just about being anti obama and the criticizing the left?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
lol.   :)

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 09:12:16 PM »
Clearly CNN made this story up. Some getbig posters like True Adonis and Busted, etc.. report this protest was about a black man being President.

That's absolutely what it was about--I mean, hell, after all...  if there's anyone qualified to speak as a political analyst, it's Janeane Garofalo pulling random un-funny crap out of her butt. ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 04:34:02 AM »
That's absolutely what it was about--I mean, hell, after all...  if there's anyone qualified to speak as a political analyst, it's Janeane Garofalo pulling random un-funny crap out of her butt. ::)

Didnt you hear, its about the new white power movement????

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »
Didnt you hear, its about the new white power movement????

Oh I'm sure it is, if that's what Ms. Garofalo says.  Thank goodness we've got her astute and incisive analysis (to say nothing of her keen intellect) to see through the red herrings and BS and get down to the heart of the issue.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 08:18:43 AM »
Oh I'm sure it is, if that's what Ms. Garofalo says.  Thank goodness we've got her astute and incisive analysis (to say nothing of her keen intellect) to see through the red herrings and BS and get down to the heart of the issue.

We have a huge rally here on April 25th 2009 and I assure you, it will be people of all colors.  I will take pics to prove it. 

Also, give me some ideas for some signs.

Here are my choices:

"Politicians Are the Real Pirates"

"We are not your ATM"

"Give me Liberty, not Debt"

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »
We have a huge rally here on April 25th 2009 and I assure you, it will be people of all colors.  I will take pics to prove it. 

Also, give me some ideas for some signs.

Here are my choices:

"Politicians Are the Real Pirates"

"We are not your ATM"

"Give me Liberty, not Debt"

Oh I know it's got nothing to do with race.  I was attempting to be sarcastic--actually I thought Janeane's conclusion was pretty stupid and I'm kind of surprised MSNBC even gave her and her wacky theories any attention at all (although that probably shouldn't come as a surprise--I mean, it's MSNBC).

Those are great slogans!  If I come up with any good ones I'll be sure to post them.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 11:18:11 AM »
bump for a response from T.A. or busted, come on fellas are you hiding now that youre being made to look like cnn fools?