Author Topic: Iran sentences U.S. journalist to 8 years  (Read 3355 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Iran sentences U.S. journalist to 8 years
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »
Hillary is "deeply disappointed"?!  What the heck kind of pansy response is that?   >:(

Iran sentences U.S. journalist to 8 years

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- A U.S. journalist in Iran was sentenced to eight years in prison for espionage, her father, lawyer and news reports said Saturday -- a sentence that prompted denunciation from the United States.

Iranian media, including an Iranian judiciary source quoted Saturday by the semi-official Iranian Students News Agency, confirmed the sentence of Roxana Saberi, a 31-year-old Iranian-American from North Dakota.

"I am deeply disappointed by the reported sentencing of Roxana Saberi by the Iranian judiciary," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement. "We are working closely with the Swiss Protecting Presence to obtain details about the court's decision, and to ensure her well-being."

Clinton said the United States will "continue to vigorously raise our concerns to the Iranian government."

"Ms. Saberi was born and raised in the United States, yet chose to travel to the Islamic Republic of Iran due to her desire to learn more about her cultural heritage. Our thoughts are with her parents and family during this difficult time."

Her father, Reza Saberi, told National Public Radio in an interview Saturday that the decision will be appealed. The Islamic Republic News Agency, another Iranian news outlet, said an appeal must be filed within 20 days.

Roxana Saberi has freelanced for National Public Radio and other news organizations and was writing a book about Iranian culture.

The Committee to Protect Journalists, the journalists' advocacy group, said Saberi was first detained in January, although no formal charges were disclosed.
Don't Miss

"She told her family that she was initially held for buying a bottle of wine. A spokesman for Iran's Foreign Ministry said later that Saberi was being detained at Tehran's Evin Prison for reporting without proper accreditation," the committee said on its Web site.

Reza Saberi told NPR on Saturday he believes his daughter was coerced into making damaging statements. He said the verdict was issued Wednesday.

The court, which didn't meet Thursday and Friday, reconvened Saturday. Reza Saberi said his daughter was brought to the court, but he wasn't allowed to enter.

Her lawyer, Abdolsamad Khorramshahi, confirmed the verdict and sentence and vowed an appeal would be launched within 20 days.

"I will definitely appeal the verdict within this period," he said.

Reza Saberi said his daughter earlier wanted to go on a hunger strike but she was persuaded not to. However, he said there is a chance she might do so now in light of the verdict.

Reza Saberi said his daughter is "very weak and frail."

"She is quite depressed about this matter and she wants to go on hunger strike. If she does, she's so frail it can be very dangerous to her health."

Others also denounced the verdict.

"Roxana Saberi's trial lacked transparency and we are concerned that she may not have been treated fairly," said Mohamed Abdel Dayem, the Middle East and North Africa program coordinator for the Committee to Protect Journalists. "We call on the Iranian authorities to release her on bail pending her appeal."

Vivian Schiller, NPR's chief executive officer and president, said the network is "deeply distressed by this harsh and unwarranted sentence."

"Saberi has already endured a three-month confinement in Evin Prison, and we are very concerned for her well-being," Schiller said in a statement. "Through her work for NPR over several years, we know her as an established and respected professional journalist.

"We appeal to all of those who share our concerns to ask that the Iranian authorities show compassion and allow her to return home to the United States immediately with her parents."

North Dakota lawmakers slammed the conviction.

Democratic U.S. Sen. Kent Conrad called the ruling "preposterous," adding that the "charges against her are baseless."

"She was tried in a secret trial without her attorney even being present. That is a travesty of justice."

U.S. Sen. Byron Dorgan called the ruling "a shocking miscarriage of justice."

"The Iranian government has held a secret trial, will not make public any evidence, and sentenced an American citizen to eight years in prison for a crime she didn't commit," the Democratic senator said.

U.S. Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-North Dakota, said he was "dismayed at the verdict from the secret trial of Roxana Saberi."

"We know Roxana to be a fine young woman of intelligence and integrity and I hope based on humanitarian considerations she will be allowed to return to the United States.

"I am humbled by the brave efforts of Roxana's parents who traveled from Fargo to Tehran, and I will continue to work closely with them in an effort to secure her release."

Feature Story News, the stringer service that employed Saberi in Iran, also condemned the action.

Simon Marks, president and chief correspondent, called the conviction a "miscarriage of justice -- or what passes for justice in modern Iran."

"Roxana moved to Iran in February 2003 to offer global audiences balanced, objective coverage of news developments in the Islamic Republic. Since then, she has always honored journalistic principles of the highest professional standard.

"We note that no evidence to support charges of espionage has ever been furnished by the authorities in Iran. We can only conclude that absolutely none exists."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/04/18/iran.us.journalist/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Iran sentences U.S. journalist to 8 years
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:06:19 PM »
Hillary is "deeply disappointed"?!  What the heck kind of pansy response is that?   >:(

You seem to believe you can do the Sec of State's job better than her.

What would your verbal response have been?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:08:07 PM »

I'm sure Beach would have said "Give her back or we'll blow you up".

Because we all know how sensible Iran can be when you threaten them.

Queue rolling eyes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
 ::)  Just for you.   :)

I certainly wouldn't have said I'm "deeply disappointed."  I think words like "outrage" and "unacceptable" are more appropriate.  You liberal lapdogs can be such sissies.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »
::)  Just for you.   :)

I certainly wouldn't have said I'm "deeply disappointed."  I think words like "outrage" and "unacceptable" are more appropriate.  You liberal lapdogs can be such sissies.   

That's why you Conservative tough guys are ones whining so much lately.

The only thing I'm not conservative about is religion, but that's not enough for you, huh "tough guy".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:27:49 PM »
That's why you Conservative tough guys are ones whining so much lately.

The only thing I'm not conservative about is religion, but that's not enough for you, huh "tough guy".

Religion is a different subject.  This is about protecting an American citizen who was just convicted in a secret trial for spying.  What the heck??  We should be all over those Iranian fools.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »
Religion is a different subject.  This is about protecting an American citizen who was just convicted in a secret trial for spying.  What the heck??  We should be all over those Iranian fools.

So because we're not dropping bombs, we're "sissies"

This is when you show that you're not as smart as you think you are.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:37:11 PM »
So because we're not dropping bombs, we're "sissies"

This is when you show that you're not as smart as you think you are.

lol.   And where did I say we should drop bombs.  lol. 

::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 01:40:51 PM »
lol.   And where did I say we should drop bombs.  lol. 

::)

So you're saying instead of being disappointed, you would say outraged or unacceptable.

And then when they did the exact same thing, as when shesaid disappointed... What then?

Your "tough" words would basically be chest thumping then... because you're not willing to drop bombs?

What would you do when your "tough talk" didn't do anything more than what her words did Beach?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »
So you're saying instead of being disappointed, you would say outraged or unacceptable.

And then when they did the exact same thing, as when shesaid disappointed... What then?

Your "tough" words would basically be chest thumping then... because you're not willing to drop bombs?

What would you do when your "tough talk" didn't do anything more than what her words did Beach?

We don't know if they would do the "exact same thing" if she escalated her rhetoric.  We also don't what kind of impact this will have on other Americans abroad who might be put through secret trials for "spying."   

Tough talk is a start.  What we do next depends on their response.  And I don't what their hypothetical response would be to our hypothetical escalated rhetoric.

What I do know is we sound like a bunch of wimps.  Just like the response to the Afghanistan rape law.  I really thought Hillary was tougher than this.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »
We don't know if they would do the "exact same thing" if she escalated her rhetoric.  We also don't what kind of impact this will have on other Americans abroad who might be put through secret trials for "spying."   

Tough talk is a start.  What we do next depends on their response.  And I don't what their hypothetical response would be to our hypothetical escalated rhetoric.

What I do know is we sound like a bunch of wimps.  Just like the response to the Afghanistan rape law.  I really thought Hillary was tougher than this.   

Right, so you really don't have anything better, just just like saying she's "not tough".

I get it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
1) the person might really be a spy

2) we're probably doing all sorts of shit behind the scenes to get her back

3) It's not always wise to rachet up the rhetoric when you're in the vulnerable position, which in this case, we are.  Stop thinking with your ego and use logic.  You don't try to embarass an adversary at the same time you're quietly asking for your asset back.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 03:28:48 PM »
::)  Just for you.   :)

Why?

Was she a spy?

...and since when did you start objecting to secret trials?
...or is it just a matter of certain things being acceptable only when the USA does them?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
Why?

Was she a spy?

...and since when did you start objecting to secret trials?
...or is it just a matter of certain things being acceptable only when the USA does them?

Yawn.  We don't have secret trials in this country, hater.  But nice try.  This is about an American citizen being charged, prosecuted, and convicted in a foreign country without any light whatsoever being shined on the proceedings. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
Yawn.  We don't have secret trials in this country, hater.  But nice try.  This is about an American citizen being charged, prosecuted, and convicted in a foreign country without any light whatsoever being shined on the proceedings. 

Kind of like those "enemy combatants" in Guitmo.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »

No, ...you kidnap people and hold secret trials in other countries. big difference there... NOT!

At least she was charged, ...which is a heckuva lot more than others have received at the hands of the US gov.

Have you considered why there has been no light shed on this... could it be the US does NOT want the spotlight shined on this? again, ...please answer my question. Was she a spy?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
Kind of like those "enemy combatants" in Guitmo.

Really?  There are secret proceedings under the Military Commission Act?  News to me. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
No, ...you kidnap people and hold secret trials in other countries. big difference there... NOT!

At least she was charged, ...which is a heckuva lot more than others have received at the hands of the US gov.

Have you considered why there has been no light shed on this... could it be the US does NOT want the spotlight shined on this? again, ...please answer my question. Was she a spy?

No, we don't.  Absolutely ridiculous. 

Let me take a stab at this:  no, she wasn't a "spy" for the U.S. government.  Otherwise, Hillary wouldn't be saying "I am deeply disappointed by the reported sentencing of Roxana Saberi by the Iranian judiciary."   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »

Let me take a stab at this:  no, she wasn't a "spy" for the U.S. government.  Otherwise, Hillary wouldn't be saying "I am deeply disappointed by the reported sentencing of Roxana Saberi by the Iranian judiciary."  

the US has absolutely done that Beach... Why are you in denial?

That's what Guantanimo bay the Military Tribunals are all about.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »
Really?  There are secret proceedings under the Military Commission Act?  News to me. 

Everything is news to you because you are so clueless. Here's another Newsflash for you:
You also got death squads who routinely assassinated people at Cheney's behest.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 04:20:40 PM »
the US has absolutely done that Beach... Why are you in denial?

That's what Guantanimo bay the Military Tribunals are all about.

No they're not.  The debate was over holding people indefinitely without charges (something I never supported) and whether habeas applies (I don't think it should).

I'm unaware of "secret" trials, but I could be wrong.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »
No they're not.  The debate was over holding people indefinitely without charges (something I never supported) and whether habeas applies (I don't think it should).

I'm unaware of "secret" trials, but I could be wrong.  

What do you consider a Military Tribunal?

I think that very well may be considered a secret trial.

How secret is this trial when we know about it's outcome?

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »

He wouldn't have responded with words, he would have responded with something that sent a stronger message....

A giant rolling eye face:  ::)
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »
Everything is news to you because you are so clueless. Here's another Newsflash for you:
You also got death squads who routinely assassinated people at Cheney's behest.

LOL.  You friggin nut.  lol . . . .

Yes, from the same person who believes Bush bribed the media, the CIA controls the media, the government shot missiles into the Pentagon, etc., etc.

You know, I always feel a little dumber after engaging you, and I don't have much to work with.   :-\

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 04:24:32 PM »

Are you claiming that the CIA doesn't kidnap people and transport them to third world countries for 'interrogation'?
I hate the State.