Author Topic: Comments About Weight Hurt Young Girls More Than Boys  (Read 3774 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Comments About Weight Hurt Young Girls More Than Boys
« on: April 18, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »
Comments About Weight Hurt Young Girls More Than Boys

DEAR ABBY: First of all, thank you so much for your column. My husband and I read it every day and appreciate the advice and support that you give so many people. We, too, have been in the helping profession for almost 30 years.

I am writing about the letter from "Upset Mom in Bellflower" (Feb. 2), about a father who told his daughter's friend she was getting fat. You rightly pointed out to Upset Mom that the remark made to "Willa" was insensitive and inappropriate, and that it cost her daughter a friend. You also stated that perhaps Dad would be similarly hurt if he were told he was getting a paunch or losing his hair.

Abby, I wish you had added one more comment: Young girls are particularly vulnerable to remarks about their size, and many cases of eating disorders have stemmed from a single, insensitive, ignorant comment from a coach, boyfriend, parent or other adult -- whether or not it was the truth.

It's very important that Willa hear from her friend's mother or another trusted adult that in fact she is beautiful and can be healthy at any size or shape, so that she will not be tempted to use harmful practices in acting on something that should never have been said in the first place. -- LINDSEY COHN, CARLSBAD, CALIF.

DEAR LINDSEY: Thank you for your important addition to the advice I offered Upset Mom. There were plenty of other readers who felt similarly. Read on:

DEAR ABBY: When I was a child, my father made similar comments to me, my mother and most of my girlfriends throughout the time I lived at home. A few years ago, my best friend from grammar school visited me. With tears in her eyes she expressed how hurtful the comments my father had made about her size had been.

Abby, that happened more than 30 years ago, and my friend was still affected. Please remind your readers that it is never appropriate to make disparaging remarks about a person's weight. -- MARY IN ROCHESTER, N.Y.

DEAR ABBY: When I was 15, my father made a crack about my weight. I'm sure he thought he was being "helpful," because he had seen my mother struggle with her weight. (Mind you, I was 5 feet 9 inches and 120 pounds.) I am now 48 and a successful scientist with a Ph.D. from an Ivy League university, yet I will never forget that remark from my dad. It hurt me to the core. -- STILL STINGING IN ARIZONA

DEAR ABBY: The woman's husband was wrong for saying what he did. You should have told her to insist that he go over to the girl's house when her mother was present and apologize profusely to both of them for his inconsiderate remark. Maybe then his daughter could get her friend back. -- CECILE IN MAINE

w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Comments About Weight Hurt Young Girls More Than Boys
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:28:53 AM »
Half of the pain in the assedness of dealing with people is so few of them ever grow the heck up.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »
Not just girls........ woman.

Me and a buddy where having a fight with a female engineer who had made un authorised changes in a project.
She told me and my buddy " you both have small man syndrome"  >:(
He told her "and you have fat chick syndrome"  ;D

She was stopped dead in her tracks and her eyes wetted over  :-\

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:49:26 AM »
Not just girls........ woman.

Me and a buddy where having a fight with a female engineer who had made un authorised changes in a project.
She told me and my buddy " you both have small man syndrome"  >:(
He told her "and you have fat chick syndrome"  ;D

They (fat chicks) definitely have a syndrome, LOL!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »

Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk!
Churchill: And Madam, you are ugly. And tomorrow, I'll be sober, and you will still be ugly.  ;D
carpe` vaginum!

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
oh lord.

I commend the father for his actions, and being truthful..

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »
A relative of mine was a little overweight until a Jr. High school gym teacher she really liked told her she was fat.  She became bulimic and has been rail thin ever since.
R

newmom

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »
It also works the other way around. I was in Providence this weekend for training to be a weight watchers leader. A woman who is already a leader and has been for 20 plus years (she is probably around 65) said you look anorexic and being that I have lost 150 pounds, that really bothered me alot that a little while later I went to the restroom and welled up.

MuscleKing

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »
It also works the other way around. I was in Providence this weekend for training to be a weight watchers leader. A woman who is already a leader and has been for 20 plus years (she is probably around 65) said you look anorexic and being that I have lost 150 pounds, that really bothered me alot that a little while later I went to the restroom and welled up.

You look great newmom. The other lady was probably huge before and now she weighs in at a brute 230 and her definition of dieting is half a gallon of Chunky monkey in the freezer and her idea of cardio is 30 minutes in a sauna. You should back away from weight watchers because they are mostly overweight women with no fitnesss knowledge. You are above them. Trust me, that lady had half a snickers bar tucked in her sock.  ;D   

You should look to Stella, RipItUp,and Jag for advice. Those 3 ladies have the ideal beautiful look and they know all about diet and health.

Especially Sexy Stella ;D

:-*

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »
people are just jealous

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 02:35:36 AM »
What many of you fail to realize is that these kinds of comments do NOT help.
They do not motivate people to make improvements. They just simply HURT!
They serve no constructive purpose whatsoever, and are often times merely the genesis of destructive habits
Being a good role model yourself is far more effective than shouting abusive criticisms about weight (at least when you're talking to a woman)

And Muscleking, ...while I thank you, and appreciate your vote of confidence,
...from what I've seen, ...I should be the one turning to newmom for inspiration. She rocks!!!
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
They serve no constructive purpose whatsoever, and are often times merely the genesis of destructive habits
Being a good role model yourself is far more effective than shouting abusive criticisms about weight (at least when you're talking to a woman)

Oh bullshit!!!

Unless Stores are selling magic mirrors people know damn well they have 'issues' before leaving home.

MuscleKing

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »
Oh bullshit!!!

Unless Stores are selling magic mirrors people know damn well they have 'issues' before leaving home.

I agree with you. There is no reason for a person to be very obese. Without the use of stuff like marijuana, how the hell can someone eat so much. Especially a small woman. ALthough when someone throws something into your face, it can sometimes just worsen the pain for someone and bring them to an even lower state. But I have never understood how a woman who is 5'3 can weigh over 200 pounds. Thats alot of eating and being mentally weak. How hard is it to eat 3 to 5 small healthy meals, exercise for an hour or so and have self control.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »
pretty hard  :(

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »
Oh bullshit!!!

It's not about people not knowing they have issues. It's about the pain felt when comments are made.

GAWD MEN CAN BE SOOOOO THICK!   >:(
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 08:11:37 PM »

It's not about people not knowing they have issues. It's about the pain felt when comments are made.

teehee this sounds dirty.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
more like  :o

;D

smoochies jags

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »

uhhh <grin> thats kinda the point!
carpe` vaginum!

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »

WGAF?!

It seems you're highlighting why most people are such a pain in the butt to deal with in the first place.  :) Everyone is expected to magically know or assume whatever emotional trauma(s) people have suffered and deal/talk with them in an specific language so every comment doesn't cause hurt feelings. It's just silly and people need to get the heck over themselves. No one has the time, patience or even cares enough to address individuals through all their baggage. I mean really.... are you supposed to talk to the 12 year old who was told "you are fat!" during every conversation with grown people? Stuff happens to everyone yet people still think they were the only one to not get a pony for their 10th birthday as a child.

Weight is generally something a determined person can get under control. Fat, skinny or every weight in between people know what they've got going on well before leaving the house so feigning surprise or crying over the odd comment or three makes no sense at all.

Not saying people should 'harden the eff up' only that it's stupid to walk around thinking strangers are supposed to care. Lame articles (like the one you pasted) advance the stupid idea that random people are supposed to care about our lives, drama and emotional baggage. It's just silly!!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 04:12:06 PM »
WGAF?!

Those who are caring, compassionate and considerate, ...or those who strive to be. that's who!!!  >:(

It seems you're highlighting why most people are such a pain in the butt to deal with in the first place.  :) Everyone is expected to magically know or assume whatever emotional trauma(s) people have suffered and deal/talk with them in an specific language so every comment doesn't cause hurt feelings. It's just silly and people need to get the heck over themselves. No one has the time, patience or even cares enough to address individuals through all their baggage. I mean really.... are you supposed to talk to the 12 year old who was told "you are fat!" during every conversation with grown people? Stuff happens to everyone yet people still think they were the only one to not get a pony for their 10th birthday as a child.

Weight is generally something a determined person can get under control. Fat, skinny or every weight in between people know what they've got going on well before leaving the house so feigning surprise or crying over the odd comment or three makes no sense at all.

Ya they may know what's going on, ...but they don't need to hear it from someone else.
And when they do, ...it hurts. It hurts young girls more than it hurts boys.

Not saying people should 'harden the eff up' only that it's stupid to walk around thinking strangers are supposed to care. Lame articles (like the one you pasted) advance the stupid idea that random people are supposed to care about our lives, drama and emotional baggage. It's just silly!!

To you, it may be a stupid idea. To others it's not. It's food for thought. It's to these people the article is addressed. YOU need not comment any further.  :)

ps: Family members & friends, aren't just "random people". They're those we interact with and who interact with us.
If you aren't able to show a little compassion, courtesy or consideration to them, what hope do we have of showing it to strangers? Or are you of the belief such things should not be shown to strangers?
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »
Those who are caring, compassionate and considerate, ...or those who strive to be. that's who!!!  >:(

Ya they may know what's going on, ...but they don't need to hear it from someone else.
And when they do, ...it hurts. It hurts young girls more than it hurts boys.

To you, it may be a stupid idea. To others it's not. It's food for thought. It's to these people the article is addressed. YOU need not comment any further.  :)

ps: Family members & friends, aren't just "random people". They're those we interact with and who interact with us.
If you aren't able to show a little compassion, courtesy or consideration to them, what hope do we have of showing it to strangers? Or are you of the belief such things should not be shown to strangers?

I've heard Midol is a great product. :)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 02:34:08 AM »
I've heard Midol is a great product. :)

The shit never worked for me, ...it only prolonged the agony of all concerned.  >:( 
But I'm testing out something new. And yes STella, I will most definitely report back.

hmmmm.... so jakey, it looks like you've been keeping track of the calendar I see.
Can you remind me next time, ...I miscalculated this month, ...either that or the universe was trying to co-operate.
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 07:10:02 AM »
The shit never worked for me, ...

That only made me "speed."  Pamprin worked though but now even Darvocet doesn't touch it.
R

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:42 AM »
The shit never worked for me, ...it only prolonged the agony of all concerned.  >:( 
But I'm testing out something new. And yes STella, I will most definitely report back.

hmmmm.... so jakey, it looks like you've been keeping track of the calendar I see.
Can you remind me next time, ...I miscalculated this month, ...either that or the universe was trying to co-operate.

I was expressing concern, Judi.

I was hoping it was PMS and not that you'd been going to those lame seminars on peoples customers feelings and so on. :) I can see it now..... Judi in front of a huge audience yelling "speak to the inner child, that's who makes all the buying decisions!".