Author Topic: Mike Mentzer's HIT  (Read 4721 times)

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
Mike Mentzer's HIT
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:15:03 PM »
I know this is been discussed a thousand times but I want to hear it one more. Is this method of training better then high volume training? yes or no..

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
Re: Mike Mentzer's HIT
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »
Nevermind

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
Mentzer's HIT works, no one gives it a fair chance, due to drug use. Its the only way for natural weight trainers.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »
Mentzer's HIT works, no one gives it a fair chance, due to drug use. Itsway for natural weight trainers the only .

Are you dyslexic?

Lumberjack88

• Getbig III
  • "Big Dreamers Never Sleep" - David Lee Roth
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
Already 2 months that I'm training in HIT fashion, and I can't complain... I'm workin out 3 times a week and spending about 15min each workout session in the gym. So far everything's fine, I've managed to add reps, sometimes weight to each exercise each week. There were a couple exceptions were I stagnated but usually the next week I can add some repetitions to it. I've tried a couple of training plans before during 3 years (I started with 17). I started with a full body routine 3 times a week, then I split the training into upper body and lower body and alternated between these two workouts every other day. Then I trained 4 split, 4 times a week, after that I tried to train three days in a row and then take one day off and again train three days in a row. So far HIT was the best training experience I had. I feel really good after each training session and this sort of training gives me ample rest, so I'm not stressed out the next workout... the times where I trained 6 days a week for about an hour sometimes two were insane... I had no power, was tired all day etc. For me HIT is the most scientific training out there and is based on reason instead of human intuition. It's really all about giving the body a strong growth signal in the shortest time possible, so that you don't destroy too much muscle tissue, when all you want is not endurance but hypertrophy.

I don't understand why many people accuse HIT of being too dangerous and insecure for the joints and the muscles when in fact it's one of the most secure training forms that exist.... 4 sec + 2 sec hold 4 sec - the muscle is doing all the work, no momentum involved, so the joints don't get much stress.

I'm no professional and I certainly do not look like one, cause I was always clean, meaning not even drinking whey protein and shakes and still being one of the stronger guys among my peers with 6'4" and 240lbs... it seems that i'm gonna continue to train HIT way for a long time..

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 02:26:42 PM »
As long as momentum isnt involved injury will not be a factor. Dorrian Yates won his Olympia Titles using this type of training. Why spend 6 days a week working out? :)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
Are you dyslexic?

No, I am...

Mike Mentzer had some cool philosophies...sort of. I would spend more time reading about his perception of life than his 1 set workouts. Of course, there isn't much to a 1 set workout, is there?

Both high-volume and HIT have their places in bodybuilding. Unfortunately, there is not one single dogmatic objective aproach (sorry Mentzy)-- there are many means to an end. Mike loves to use analogies that force you to believe there is only one way to accomplish something. He (and Ayn) call it "objectivism"- this is great if you are looking for a lesson in philosophy. Surely, Mike- " a rock is a rock and a bird is a bird"...

There is more subjectivity and randomness in life than Mikey ever wanted to profess.

Read his stuff to get a grasp of his perception, but don't take it to heart.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 03:13:58 PM »
They work ...he was a brillant man.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »
Already 2 months that I'm training in HIT fashion, and I can't complain... I'm workin out 3 times a week and spending about 15min each workout session in the gym. So far everything's fine, I've managed to add reps, sometimes weight to each exercise each week. There were a couple exceptions were I stagnated but usually the next week I can add some repetitions to it. I've tried a couple of training plans before during 3 years (I started with 17). I started with a full body routine 3 times a week, then I split the training into upper body and lower body and alternated between these two workouts every other day. Then I trained 4 split, 4 times a week, after that I tried to train three days in a row and then take one day off and again train three days in a row. So far HIT was the best training experience I had. I feel really good after each training session and this sort of training gives me ample rest, so I'm not stressed out the next workout... the times where I trained 6 days a week for about an hour sometimes two were insane... I had no power, was tired all day etc. For me HIT is the most scientific training out there and is based on reason instead of human intuition. It's really all about giving the body a strong growth signal in the shortest time possible, so that you don't destroy too much muscle tissue, when all you want is not endurance but hypertrophy.

I don't understand why many people accuse HIT of being too dangerous and insecure for the joints and the muscles when in fact it's one of the most secure training forms that exist.... 4 sec + 2 sec hold 4 sec - the muscle is doing all the work, no momentum involved, so the joints don't get much stress.

I'm no professional and I certainly do not look like one, cause I was always clean, meaning not even drinking whey protein and shakes and still being one of the stronger guys among my peers with 6'4" and 240lbs... it seems that i'm gonna continue to train HIT way for a long time..

very interesting...always wanted to try HIT but I just can't see how you can make gains with such a small amount of work

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »
History lesson for you F@cktards;  Mentzer stole the HIT principles from Arthur Jones.

And also, Mentzer acknowledged in the twilight of his career that the HIT principles were flawed, in that they contributed to overt joint, muscle and tendon stress while showing little evidence for enhanced growth.

Mentzer went on to say, that with the absence of 'pharmaceuticals' he would look NO different to the average gym-rat, who trained a couple times per week...his words.

In summary, this dead plagiarist who even took credit for some of Ayn Rand's work is not to be believed on anything. 

He will be remembered for his crazy lunatic rants, abuse of powders/alcohol and for almost singlehandedly dismantling a sport that he purported to love!

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 06:44:10 PM »
HIT is great.
New research done in australia has confirmed theres no benefit of doing 3 sets of an exercise instead of one.
http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/resources/educational-resources/exphys/00/muscle_strength.cfm

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »
It is not about the weight.  It is about the repetition.

In other words, you can make a light weight 'heavy' through repetition failure.

Arnold was all about repetition failure.

Mentzer was all about 'balls to the wall' heavy.  Train for 15 minutes and then take seven days off.  LOL.

Menzter was a sad alcoholic joke!

Apart from the occasional misinformed Meat-Head (back in the day) no one respected Mentzer.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
Check out Mike's seminar...explains his thoughts...12 parts..

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
Hank stick to putting people down, you have no idea what you are talking about (as normal).

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »
Uhhhhhhhhhh...

It's actually about "stimulus" and then the ability to adapt by response. Hopefully the "response" is in growth.

Has absolutely nothing to do with numbers.

If you pushed your car down the road for 10 miles to the nearest gas station, do you think you would be tired? Do you think you might me sore over the next few days? How many reps and sets would the push have been? If you had to push your fucking car 10 miles down the road at least once every few weeks, do you think it would get easier, or would you just become stupider?

Is "stupider" a word? Am I being objective?

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »
It is not about the weight.  It is about the repetition.

In other words, you can make a light weight 'heavy' through repetition failure.

Arnold was all about repetition failure.

Mentzer was all about 'balls to the wall' heavy.  Train for 15 minutes and then take seven days off.  LOL.

Menzter was a sad alcoholic joke!

Apart from the occasional misinformed Meat-Head (back in the day) no one respected Mentzer.

Have some respect for his legacy you ill-mannered turd.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:31 PM »
why on earth would you want to make a light weight feel heavy.

basically lift a good weight for reps. best way imo

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
Most people here and most weight trainers in general don't have the balls to train properly using HIT. Basically you gotta push a set to failure and beyond using near perfect form.

Anyone saying "oh i'd love to train not doing that many sets and not training that much.." It's not that easy. Why do you think Dorian hurt himself so badly? He was going all out balls to the wall with perfect form and not giving in even when he failed.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
Most people here and most weight trainers in general don't have the balls to train properly using HIT. Basically you gotta push a set to failure and beyond using near perfect form.

Anyone saying "oh i'd love to train not doing that many sets and not training that much.." It's not that easy. Why do you think Dorian hurt himself so badly? He was going all out balls to the wall with perfect form and not giving in even when he failed.

I am proud to train in this fashion, in Mike's honour.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »
How many world class bbers used HIT to prepare themselves to a major competition?
S

Lumberjack88

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
"Mentzer was all about 'balls to the wall' heavy.  Train for 15 minutes and then take seven days off."

He always said that one should always train with as much weight as he can handle for 6-10 reps torso and 10-15 lower body.
I used to do bench presses with 90kg for 12 reps, now I'm down to 65kg and I'm only making about 7 reps. But I did the 12 reps with 90kg in about 30 seconds, for the 7 reps with 65kg I used 70 seconds at least. Although I'm using less weight my chest feels more pumped after one set HIT style than it would be after 3 sets of regular bench pressing.

No need to destroy the muscle fibres any further... if you seriously believe that 4 sets are better than 1 set done right and slow, then why don't you make 10 sets instead of 4?

If you want to train like Arnold, making 10 sets of each excersice and training for at least 2 hours a day, you'd better have the fastest metabolism and protein synthesis on earth or else you're just gonna shrink...

HIT has been proven time and time again... I just read an article from a serious german journal where a sports coach split his sports class into a part that trained 4 times a week with the high volume approach and the other half trained with a low volume approach, only 1 hour training per week. And after a half year they compared the high volume guys with the low volume ones... conclusion was that both groups have built about equal muscle mass, though there were some exceptions of guys who made the bigger than average progresses, and they were not among the high volume guys... so why train 8 hours a week when 1 hour is just fine?? I think HIT is ideal for students... and for everybody else who wants to train natural and spent his time as wise as possible.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
i train 2 days and take 1 day off...splittet my work out into 4
i train very hard but don't kill myself,it never takes longer than 1:15h
best way to train for me

Lumberjack88

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 05:09:15 PM »
How many world class bbers used HIT to prepare themselves to a major competition?

Not a good argument... justifying something by the quantity of devotees. In the middle ages many people thought that the world is a disc, now only a minority agrees...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 05:11:50 PM »
Not a good argument... justifying something by the quantity of devotees. In the middle ages many people thought that the world is a disc, now only a minority agrees...

You=impressive individual

Serbo-Croatian is a crazy language!
I hate the State.

The Coach

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 05:16:43 PM »
I know this is been discussed a thousand times but I want to hear it one more. Is this method of training better then high volume training? yes or no..

No, it's a crock of shit.