Author Topic: Tried tabata today just for the heck of it ...  (Read 5141 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Tried tabata today just for the heck of it ...
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »
Tabata does not slow or stop muscle development
any kind of cardio will have some kind of slowing effect to muscle growth. the more effective the cardio is for fat loss, the more effect it will have at slowing down muscle growth.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
Have used the Tabata method for years and suggesting it for just as long. Pretty simple stuff, 20 second max, 10 second rest and repeat cycle. Tabata does not slow or stop muscle development, but can work well while gaining muscle mass. All when done correctly, that is. Johnnynoname give some great examples as where to look for more info.

JPM,
In your opinion, what is the best time of day to do Tabata-style cardio for fat-loss?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
i was always of the lean ilk

not once have i ever heard a girl say "wow, you would look amazing if you had 20 more pounds of lean muscle mass"
 ;D

That doesn't mean it isn't true. You judge your appearance solely on what some girl thinks?

IMO 10 lbs would be good on you, give you a more three-dimensional look

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »
Cardio does not affect the rate of muscle growth when done with knowledge and fore thought.  Example are high school/college football player, some who have to gain extra muscle weight anywhere from 10 to 20 lbs during off season. Heavy compound exercises in partner with cardio work.  If foolish enough to do excessive cardio when trying to gain a little muscle, than that is your misfortune. As so many BB'ers find out, sooner or later.

Tabata can be an ideal method for anyone when applied the correct way. Really no logical need for 40 minute, or more, 4-5 times a week cardio. Not unless you are a well trained and class athlete who's sport calls for that type of training.

Can do Tabata any time of day, no special hour. And probably3 to 4 times a week at most. Good Luck.

F

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 09:41:11 AM »
Did it today after arms; couldn't make it past 7x...too wiped out...brutal shit...
I hate the State.

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »
Johnny/others who do tabata what are your thoughts on interval training. I like to mix up my runs by going on the treadmill and doing a 5 minute job warm up then running level 8.5 for 2 minutes followed by 1 minute recovery then 2 do minutes at 9 etc. all the way up to level 11 on the treadmill. Do you think this style of interval training is effective or is this tabata some sort of secret formula. Thanks.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »
Did it today after arms; couldn't make it past 7x...too wiped out...brutal shit...

I was coughing up shit I never imagined I had in my lungs ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 09:53:27 AM »
I was coughing up shit I never imagined I had in my lungs ;D

Yeah...you think...a few minutes and it is over but they are LONG. I truly couldn't get the 8x 20 second run....
I hate the State.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
Tabata is interval training, but just one version of many. If Tabata suits you, than great. If not than check out other forms of a basic interval program. Just do a search.

Tabata, or any other form of interval training, should really have it's own special time. Like on days when not doing serious weight workouts. Never right after a arm workout or any other type lifting program for the BB'er.  If done on the same workout day as lifting, than consider a good time spacing of at least a couple of hours. Only exception would be if you were getting ready for a Tri event, bike race or something along those line. Where interval training is include in the regular endurance sport training. Good Luck.
F

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »
I just read about this and i think i am going to try it out for the pure standpoint that i like to torture myself quickly and be done with it fast. I hate slowly working towards absolute exhaustion through a 5k race.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
I just read about this and i think i am going to try it out for the pure standpoint that i like to torture myself quickly and be done with it fast. I hate slowly working towards absolute exhaustion through a 5k race.

i would also consider mixing tabata with other cardio types

ck these articles out
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/running_man
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/the_hiit_revolution_for_fat_burning_success

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I hate the State.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 12:36:42 PM »
This song is for you Johnny; your name is in the lyrics and it is famous... :)

EXCELLENT
i love that song and new order..bravo

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 12:38:14 PM »
EXCELLENT
i love that song and new order..bravo

You definitely have a New Order look!
I hate the State.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »
You definitely have a New Order look!

explain that to the people who live in my area
they don't get it

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 01:08:42 PM »
explain that to the people who live in my area
they don't get it

Where do you live?
I hate the State.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 09:56:59 PM »

Tabata, or any other form of interval training, should really have it's own special time.
Like morning, so you'd keep the fat-burning elevated for the majority of the day?

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »
any kind of cardio will have some kind of slowing effect to muscle growth. the more effective the cardio is for fat loss, the more effect it will have at slowing down muscle growth.

Layne Norton does not agree with you when it comes to HIT cardio ::)