Author Topic: Blacks running out of excuses to blame their failures on?  (Read 3468 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Blacks running out of excuses to blame their failures on?
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »
With a black guy as President and now this, the blacks are going to soon be running out of things to blame for their failure to contribute anything substantial to modern society.

(CNN) -- For the first time since the war on drugs became a national law enforcement obsession in the mid-1980s, the number of African-Americans in state prisons for drug offenses has declined, a criminal justice reform organization said.
The number of whites in state prison for drugs rose 42.6 percent since 1999, while blacks dropped 21.6 percent.

The number of whites in state prison for drugs rose 42.6 percent since 1999, while blacks dropped 21.6 percent.

A study released Tuesday by the Sentencing Project found a 21.6 percent drop in the number of blacks incarcerated for drug offenses, a decline of 31,000 people, from 1999 to 2005.

The corresponding number of whites in state prisons for drug offenses rose 42.6 percent, or by more than 21,000 people, while the number of Hispanics was virtually unchanged, according to "The Changing Racial Dynamics of the War on Drugs."

The study, authored by Executive Director Marc Mauer, found that the differences between black and white imprisonments for drug crimes are partly because of how police target suspects and court sentencing guidelines, which vary by state.

Also, there has been a decrease in the use of crack cocaine in predominantly minority urban neighborhoods and an increase in methamphetamine abuse in many primarily white rural areas, Mauer said Wednesday.

The Sentencing Project, based in Washington, said it seeks to overhaul unfair, ineffective criminal justice policies and promote alternatives to incarceration. The group opposes stiff penalties for nonviolent drug crimes.

Mauer said that 2005 offers the most recent breakdown of racial data but there was no analysis by drug type. Nevertheless, "we know in broad terms" that crack and powder cocaine and methamphetamine have been key targets of law enforcement, he said. Crack use also is declining, he said.

"We know that blacks have been disproportionately targeted for crack offenses ... conversely for whites," Mauer said Wednesday. A growing proportion of people have been imprisoned for abusing methamphetamine, he said, most of whom are white.

In addition, the study suggests that much of the difference between blacks and whites has been because of "police targeting of open-air drug markets" or street corners.

"It's conceivable that police are shifting their focus. There has been criticism of police for over policing black communities, especially when it comes to drug offenses," Mauer said.

He said 80 percent of crack offenders are black, while the rest are white or Hispanic.

"As crack use and sales have declined, or moved indoors in some cases, law enforcement activity may have been reduced correspondingly," the findings show.

"We don't know the exact extent of drug selling, what the levels are," but there is evidence they may be doing more indoors now, using cell phones more to make drug transactions so less obvious to police," Mauer said. He said police have reported this trend.

In addition, judges mete out harsher sentences for crack cocaine, most often used by minorities, and powder cocaine, usually favored by whites, although the chemical makeup of the two is the same, Mauer said.

According to the study, "the white increase may be related in part to more aggressive enforcement of methamphetamine laws. While methamphetamine is only used at significant levels in a relative handful of states, data from states such as Iowa and Minnesota show a substantial influx of these cases during this time period."

While the number of people in state prisons for drug offenses rose by less than 1 percent overall during the study period, the increase in federal prisons was more than 32 percent.

"The federal system has rigid, mandatory sentencing polices, especially for crack cocaine," Mauer said. "Also in the federal system, money is not an object there."

The mandatory federal sentence for selling about 500 grams or one pound of powered cocaine is five years, Mauer said. Someone convicted of selling about five grams of crack, or about two sugar packets, gets the same five-year term, he said.

Some in Congress are seeking to equalize penalties for crack and powder cocaine, he added.

The study was based on U.S. data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the FBI and the Department of Health and Human Services.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/15/blacks.whites.prisons.drugs/index.html

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: Blacks running out of excuses to blame their failures on?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
So we are saying that the cops are getting lazy these days?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
The study, authored by Executive Director Marc Mauer, found that the differences between black and white imprisonments for drug crimes are partly because of how police target suspects and court sentencing guidelines, which vary by state.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/15/blacks.whites.prisons.drugs/index.html

If you actually read the article, it seems to suggest that blacks blaming failure on outside factors is actually a valid argument. If the racial makeup of the prison population shifts based on how law enforcement chooses to target and prosecute offenders, then you've gotta wonder what's what.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
So we are saying that the cops are getting lazy these days?

Hahahaha. Time for the blacks to put up or shut up. No more blaming everyone else for their lack of the ability to contribute anything beneficial to society.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »
Hahahaha. Time for the blacks to put up or shut up. No more blaming everyone else for their lack of the ability to contribute anything beneficial to society.

Exactly... It's a big part of why I'm glad Obama is President to be honest.

No black man anywhere can tell me that he's oppressed... If he's not a dumb ass he can be the motherfucking leader of the free fucking world now.

No bitching from the black community ever again.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »

And, once again, the article highlights the fact that drug prosecution rates among blacks is dropping. What exactly are blacks supposedly looking for an excuse from?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
So because Obama is President, things are supposedly magically gonna change? Racism just disappears? Obama had said that change comes from the bottom up (much like the saying, respect is book read from the bottom to the top).

I agree that Black people need to stop complaining and take responsibility for their own communities. But things don't happen over night

Racism doesn't end because there is a black Prez.

I guess if there was a Asian Prez, that means that the IQ of the naion would magically jump? Assuming ya'll like to believe in stereotypes as well.

There is a bit of a controversy, whereas Obama has decided not go to a World Conference on Racism.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »
Even bothering to debate or discuss in this thread is useless, as the basic parametres around which the discussion is framed is a false racist one. It assumes blacks have never contributed anything beneficial to society.
w

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:40:35 AM »
So because Obama is President, things are supposedly magically gonna change? Racism just disappears? Obama had said that change comes from the bottom up (much like the saying, respect is book read from the bottom to the top).

I agree that Black people need to stop complaining and take responsibility for their own communities. But things don't happen over night

Racism doesn't end because there is a black Prez.

I guess if there was a Asian Prez, that means that the IQ of the naion would magically jump? Assuming ya'll like to believe in stereotypes as well.

There is a bit of a controversy, whereas Obama has decided not go to a World Conference on Racism.

I just dont understand why black leaders always get caught up in the most unimportant issues and miss big issues.They get outraged over Don Imus but seem to not care that schools in their communities are falling apart,poorly staffed,unsafe.They scream about "racial profiling" ,but dont care that black on black crime is through the roof.There is REAL racism in this country and racism that actually has a huge affect on ALL blacks,but the leaders never seem to promote that,they would rather march against Don Imus.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
Even bothering to debate or discuss in this thread is useless, as the basic parametres around which the discussion is framed is a false racist one. It assumes blacks have never contributed anything beneficial to society.

:'(

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »
I just dont understand why black leaders always get caught up in the most unimportant issues and miss big issues.They get outraged over Don Imus but seem to not care that schools in their communities are falling apart,poorly staffed,unsafe.They scream about "racial profiling" ,but dont care that black on black crime is through the roof.There is REAL racism in this country and racism that actually has a huge affect on ALL blacks,but the leaders never seem to promote that,they would rather march against Don Imus.

BOOM!!!!!!!!!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
the asians had it bad (extreme racism, hardship, abuse, murder, etc..) from the time they started coming over around 1850's until WW2ish...and look where asian-americans are today. the black community really has no excuse on this one.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »
What meaningful thing can we say about a human being based on him being black, latino, asian, jewish, arab, etc.?

Sure there are tendencies but people are individuals at the end of the day.
I hate the State.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 12:30:34 PM »

BOOM!!!!!!!!!

Here is a question for Mal.Blacks seem to have ben left behind as far as getting rich or middle class is concerned[not saying none are but not even close to a lage enough percentage as should have].My argument has always been this.THE WORST thing that ever happened to blacks was forced bussing.The idea that a black child cant learn unless hes in a white school is the most idiotic thing Ive ever seen.

Ive always thought that why not pay strong black men a great salary,higher then the national average,have them teach in black neighborhoods at the elemementary school age and then see how the kids do.

I just dont think you can have some young white women or white  middle age women,trying to teach black boys and think they are going to respect her.They run roughshod over her.If you had strong black men,well educated at the head of the class,ruling the class with an iron fist,these kids would learn WITHOUT having to have some "white rub off on them".They would get the dicipline,respect the authority,get a tremendous lesson on how to be black and get ahead in America by someone that looks like them and understands them.They would also see that they could become teachers or anything else they desire if they put in the work.

I just dont think some black kid,living in a poor neighborhood,getting bussed into an area that is beyond his dreams,being taught by someone who doesnt look like them or understand their life can then feel his efforts in school will pay off in the end.It leads to frustration and it just spirals until he is part of the underclass.Again,not saying this is everytime,but it seems to happen FAR too often.

Just my thought,Id like to hear what you think.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:35:47 PM »
Here is a question for Mal.Blacks seem to have ben left behind as far as getting rich or middle class is concerned[not saying none are but not even close to a lage enough percentage as should have].My argument has always been this.THE WORST thing that ever happened to blacks was forced bussing.The idea that a black child cant learn unless hes in a white school is the most idiotic thing Ive ever seen.

Ive always thought that why not pay strong black men a great salary,higher then the national average,have them teach in black neighborhoods at the elemementary school age and then see how the kids do.

I just dont think you can have some young white women or white  middle age women,trying to teach black boys and think they are going to respect her.They run roughshod over her.If you had strong black men,well educated at the head of the class,ruling the class with an iron fist,these kids would learn WITHOUT having to have some "white rub off on them".They would get the dicipline,respect the authority,get a tremendous lesson on how to be black and get ahead in America by someone that looks like them and understands them.They would also see that they could become teachers or anything else they desire if they put in the work.

I just dont think some black kid,living in a poor neighborhood,getting bussed into an area that is beyond his dreams,being taught by someone who doesnt look like them or understand their life can then feel his efforts in school will pay off in the end.It leads to frustration and it just spirals until he is part of the underclass.Again,not saying this is everytime,but it seems to happen FAR too often.

I didnt read this yet...but i was agreeing with you on the above statement

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
Agreed totally! 

Liberal white women are bad not only for white kids, but black kids as well!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 12:59:25 PM »

I agree 100% The problem is this...(i think). We underestimate our  (black) youth. They can do great things but when we spoon feed them in our innercity schools, we force them to be behind the rest of the world. But its hard to blame schools. When the teachers have to wonder about whats going on at home and how its affecting the kid mentally, it dosent leave a lot of room for the teacher to just get to teaching. But I agree about black men needing to take back our schools. I coach football at an innercity school just so i can give the kids an example of a black man that can still be cool and not with the ignorant gang stuff. They respect me though because i came from where they are from. Even though im from LA  and I coach in Atlanta, Im from the same type of neighborhood they are from so they know i can understand them. There is no way a white woman ( not being offensive)  can teach a young city kid (who was bused) how to be a black man. Just 2 different backgrounds. My friend got his masters from UGA and he is moving back to LA  to teach at like one of the hardest schools in Watts Ca...Im like why there and he said. Its people who say why go there who wonder why these kids are so fucked up now...And that gave me a new outlook on it. We have to take care of our own. Not saying im a seperatist or nothing like that. But i think inner city boys need to be taught by innercity men...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 01:13:48 PM »
I agree 100% The problem is this...(i think). We underestimate our  (black) youth. They can do great things but when we spoon feed them in our innercity schools, we force them to be behind the rest of the world. But its hard to blame schools. When the teachers have to wonder about whats going on at home and how its affecting the kid mentally, it dosent leave a lot of room for the teacher to just get to teaching. But I agree about black men needing to take back our schools. I coach football at an innercity school just so i can give the kids an example of a black man that can still be cool and not with the ignorant gang stuff. They respect me though because i came from where they are from. Even though im from LA  and I coach in Atlanta, Im from the same type of neighborhood they are from so they know i can understand them. There is no way a white woman ( not being offensive)  can teach a young city kid (who was bused) how to be a black man. Just 2 different backgrounds. My friend got his masters from UGA and he is moving back to LA  to teach at like one of the hardest schools in Watts Ca...Im like why there and he said. Its people who say why go there who wonder why these kids are so fucked up now...And that gave me a new outlook on it. We have to take care of our own. Not saying im a seperatist or nothing like that. But i think inner city boys need to be taught by innercity men...

Agreed 100%.  Refreshing too see someone who gets it.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »

Agree,Ive always thought the biggest enemy of blacks are liberal whites.They mean well,dont get me wrong,but they think that blacks "need their help".I think they really think blacks are incapeable of doing things by themselves.This is racism at its worse.Not saying conservatives are any great people,they wont help those that actually DO need a helping hand.However,liberal whites seem to look at blacks like they are ignorant childeren and without them they would be lost.What utter nonsense.Keep the black kids in their own communities,FUND their schools[that includes infastructure and books and computers etc]let blacks teach them and THEN see how they do.My bet?As well as whites.

Ive always felt bad because many[70% according to stats]of these black kids come from single family homes.The mother works all day,is tired,perhaps works two jobs to put food on the table,and this leaves little time to teach the kid.So the kid gets shipped into a white community,he is way behind from the jump because the white kid has two parents teaching him at night both helping the other parent, and just gets discouraged and quits trying.If he went to a school where the other kids are in the same boat from the start,and they all learn together,in no time they would catch up to the white kids.They would feel good about themselves instead of looking over at little Johnny who already knows how to read in 1st grade.Just my thought.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:46 PM »
Liberal whites are no different than poverty pimps and slave masters.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »
Bar of soap is picking on blacks too??

:o :o :o :o

How lo' can you go brutha?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »
Bar of soap is picking on blacks too??

:o :o :o :o

How lo' can you go brutha?

Hahaha, that's rich coming from one of the biggest racists on here. There is nothing racist about my thread. Just a simple observation that blacks are starting to get the opportunities that they should be. I do know that you've done a good job attacking blacks and every other minority on here.  :D

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 07:38:14 PM »
You sound like a good guy Mal, a very positive person. My ex-wife use to teach problem and special ed kids at a tough school in Brooklyn, N.Y...gang kids, you name it. I really think she made a positive impact on some of these kids.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 03:23:47 AM »
No offense big_mal you are a good guy, obviously educated and motivated to succeed but your attitude is exactly what's wrong with black people. 

1) Just because your black doesn't mean you are the only ones living in poor, crime ridden, dangerous neighborhoods.  Lots of white kids grow up in piss poor violent neighborhoods.  Hell you don't even have to go to the city to see how bad some white kids have it.......just drive into some rural areas. 

2)  What's with teaching black youth how to be "black" men?  Why not teach them how to be MEN period? 

Maybe instead of teaching football and trying to be "cool" you should spend your time sitting down with black kids teaching them math, science, and physiology.  Sorry but this subject really touches a nerve with me.  I grew up in the public school system and many of my family members are public school teachers, and no not all teachers are liberal feministic females.  The issue is hardly as cut and dry as blacks taking back their schools and teaching black boys how to be "black" men.  The only coherent argument in your entire post was the fact that parents black white or purple, need to be held accountable and start taking responsibility for their kids and holding themselves and their children accountable.  The biggest gripe among ANY teacher in ANY school is the PARENTAL GUIDANCE/DISICPLINE or lack there of. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 03:35:44 AM »
Agree,Ive always thought the biggest enemy of blacks are liberal whites.They mean well,dont get me wrong,but they think that blacks "need their help".I think they really think blacks are incapeable of doing things by themselves.This is racism at its worse.Not saying conservatives are any great people,they wont help those that actually DO need a helping hand.However,liberal whites seem to look at blacks like they are ignorant childeren and without them they would be lost.What utter nonsense.Keep the black kids in their own communities,FUND their schools[that includes infastructure and books and computers etc]let blacks teach them and THEN see how they do.My bet?As well as whites.

Ive always felt bad because many[70% according to stats]of these black kids come from single family homes.The mother works all day,is tired,perhaps works two jobs to put food on the table,and this leaves little time to teach the kid.So the kid gets shipped into a white community,he is way behind from the jump because the white kid has two parents teaching him at night both helping the other parent, and just gets discouraged and quits trying.If he went to a school where the other kids are in the same boat from the start,and they all learn together,in no time they would catch up to the white kids.They would feel good about themselves instead of looking over at little Johnny who already knows how to read in 1st grade.Just my thought.

The biggest enemy to blacks are liberal whites?  Why not just liberals?  You know how many black liberal female adminstrators there are in the LA public school system?  You're just like big_mal blaiming all the problems and plight of blacks on white people.  In this day and age that's bullshit......50 years ago you might have had an argument due to racism but now?  Hell no! Maybe when blacks realize there are more important things to life than "lambos" and "football" they'll start to excel in other things besides pro sports.  I grew up with a mom that worked full time 10 hour days and still managed to come home dead tired, put food on the table, and make sure my homework was done.  This whole sob story of the overworked black mom is pathetic.  Where are the black dads?  My dad was busting his ass right along side my mom.  I was middle class!  And the only reason my family stayed middle class is because my parents worked their asses off and handled their responsiblities i.e. THEIR FUCKING KIDS they brought into this world.  My father was a first generation immigrant.  He had his fair share of stereotyping, racism, and polak jokes.  He spoke 5 languages, most black kids can't even speak one correctly.  And it's all  because white women are teaching black kids in the public school??? LOL.   ::)