Author Topic: BOOKS!!!  (Read 5681 times)

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
Re: BOOKS!!!
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »
The Holy Bible
The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer
Complete Works of Aristophanes
Complete Works of Aeschylus
Complete Works of Socrates
Complete Works of Aristotle
Complete Works of Euripides
The Aeneid by Virgil
Paradise Lost by Milton
Complete Works of William Shakespeare

Wow!  I was under the impression that Socrates never wrote. 

You, my friend, are a pompous idiot. 

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »

jehwit

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »
Wow!  I was under the impression that Socrates never wrote. 

You, my friend, are a pompous idiot. 

While at the present moment there are no written works personally personally attributed to Socrates, his works have been translated by Xenophon, who compiled The Complete Works of Socrates.

Now that we have discussed Xenophon, let's discuss your incorrect assertion that I am your "friend".  I am nothing of the sort.  I am set above you socially and academically, and it irks you.  You have tried to use a crumb of knowledge that you barely recall from High School to discredit me, and you have fallen flat on your face.  Please disappear.  Thank you.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2009, 05:51:32 PM »
just finished reading
A child called it...
going to being
The lost boy tomm and hopefully
A man named Dave by Sun....

still havent started on my initial purchased books....
but im liking this reading thing...

although my post count has suffered as of late

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2009, 06:23:43 PM »
While at the present moment there are no written works personally personally attributed to Socrates, his works have been translated by Xenophon, who compiled The Complete Works of Socrates.

Now that we have discussed Xenophon, let's discuss your incorrect assertion that I am your "friend".  I am nothing of the sort.  I am set above you socially and academically, and it irks you.  You have tried to use a crumb of knowledge that you barely recall from High School to discredit me, and you have fallen flat on your face.  Please disappear.  Thank you.

Wrong again.  Xenophon wrote in Sokratikoi logoi, much like Plato.  Socratic dialogues are stylistic of Socrates and in no way are they his translations.   Also, there is no such thing as "The Complete Works of Socrates." 

P.S. I receive my BA in Phil in about two weeks.   ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »
Wrong again.  Xenophon wrote in Sokratikoi logoi, much like Plato.  Socratic dialogues are stylistic of Socrates and in no way are they his translations.   Also, there is no such thing as "The Complete Works of Socrates." 

I just hope your big house and expensive cars will be enough for you.   ;)

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
I just hope your big house and expensive cars will be enough for you.   ;)

lol Yeah, I'm already thinking deep thoughts about unemployment.   :-[

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »

law school...

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
law school...

The Peace Corps, actually.  I leave in August.

I like the avatar. 

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »

I like the avatar. 

even better.... i hope you find a good gym though where ever you go  :-\

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »

I like the avatar. 
congratulations in advance. it's a wonderful opportunity.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2009, 06:04:23 AM »

The history of thought seems to me to be something that every school should teach from elementary level onwards.  Instead it gets relegated to a few classrooms in some out of the way university building.  Makes no sense.

Is there a school of thought that particularly enjoyed?  Any books you would recommend to a relative neophyte?

jehwit

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »

Actually, I am correct.  I am startled that you allegedly are being granted a degree.  First, your grammar is unacceptable and not University level.  Second, you have devoted 19 days, 5 hours and 4 minutes to this website since 2005.  You obviously have no ability to focus very long on academic work. 

If there is any truth to you earning a degree, it is no doubt from an American institution.  You see, America has been on the skids academically since the late 1960's.  You may as well take your diploma , line a bird's cage with it and rush off to your job at Jack In The Box.

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2009, 08:39:29 AM »
Actually, I am correct.  I am startled that you allegedly are being granted a degree.  First, your grammar is unacceptable and not University level.  Second, you have devoted 19 days, 5 hours and 4 minutes to this website since 2005.  You obviously have no ability to focus very long on academic work. 

If there is any truth to you earning a degree, it is no doubt from an American institution.  You see, America has been on the skids academically since the late 1960's.  You may as well take your diploma , line a bird's cage with it and rush off to your job at Jack In The Box.

::)

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »
congratulations in advance. it's a wonderful opportunity.

Hey, thanks!  I appreciate it. 

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »
The history of thought seems to me to be something that every school should teach from elementary level onwards.  Instead it gets relegated to a few classrooms in some out of the way university building.  Makes no sense.

Is there a school of thought that particularly enjoyed?  Any books you would recommend to a relative neophyte?

Yeah, I agree completely.  I wish it had a stronger bond with the average person/citizen.  But we tend to worship the almighty dollar and thus philosophy gets relegated to the darkened corners of academia.

My focus is in analytic philosophy, i.e. no Nietzsche, Sartre, Schopenhauer.

First, I would recommend a good survey book.  B. Russell's History of Western Philosophy is excellent.  W.V. Quine is great.  And a nice little coffee shop read, The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten by Juilian Baggini is a real thought provoker. 

Then once you determine what you're interested in, (ethics, epistemology, religion,etc.) search for the most lucid thinker in that field.  All the post-modern, continental writers are too muddled with mysticism and bullshit.  Look for writers practicing inside the halls of western universities. 

A neophyte or not, it doesn't take years of technical college to be an interested thinker.   :)

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »

Judging by your fallacious attempt of ad hominem, I can reasonably infer that you have no rebuttal to my previous claim.     ;)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2009, 10:54:59 AM »
Yeah, I agree completely.  I wish it had a stronger bond with the average person/citizen.  But we tend to worship the almighty dollar and thus philosophy gets relegated to the darkened corners of academia.

My focus is in analytic philosophy, i.e. no Nietzsche, Sartre, Schopenhauer.

First, I would recommend a good survey book.  B. Russell's History of Western Philosophy is excellent.  W.V. Quine is great.  And a nice little coffee shop read, The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten by Juilian Baggini is a real thought provoker. 

Then once you determine what you're interested in, (ethics, epistemology, religion,etc.) search for the most lucid thinker in that field.  All the post-modern, continental writers are to muddled with mysticism and bullshit.  Look for writers practicing inside the halls of western universities. 

A neophyte or not, it doesn't take years of technical college to be an interested thinker.   :)

I read The World As Will and Idea many years ago, but not having any sort of context for it, most of it was lost on me.  

Like Kevin Klein said, "Oh yeah?  Well apes don't read philosophy!"
Jamie Lee Curtis: "Yes they do Otto.  They just don't understand it."  :D

I listened to a survey audio book awhile ago and enjoyed the rationalists, the romantics, and James' radical empiricism (if I am remembering this right) was all new to me and piqued my interest.

Thanks man.  I'll check the torrents for these.  ;)  Then maybe even the bookstore!

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »
Here is a really good radio show coming out of Stanford.  They have a wide range of approachable topics and I think they are available for download.

http://www.philosophytalk.org/

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
Here is a really good radio show coming out of Stanford.  They have a wide range of approachable topics and I think they are available for download.

http://www.philosophytalk.org/

'DUDE!'
'SWEET!'
 :)

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
  • Can't trust shadows after dark
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »

"Enter the dragon"

You can tell people how they should live their lives
Don't let em fool ya

jehwit

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2009, 02:28:31 PM »
Judging by your fallacious attempt of ad hominem, I can reasonably infer that you have no rebuttal to my previous claim.     ;)

You may impress your THC addled professors with your verbosity.  I, however, find your attempt at scholarship to be both sophomoric and feeble.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
Sounds like a lotta of mental wanking. Go find yourself a good fiction book and read for pleasure, not because you think you need 'self-improvement.' The fact that you're a Getbigger means there isn't much room for improvement, anyway.  ;)

Right now for me Tim Dorsey is the KING of Fiction.

A sick puppy writing about a lovable psychotic and his crime in partner in Florida.
Very funny!

Stephen Kings latest was ok.  Scared me a little.

Sistah Souljah....
Loved the Coldest Winter Ever.
Everything after just mediocre
Sandra