Author Topic: Big Brother Is Watching  (Read 473 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Big Brother Is Watching
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:14:01 PM »
How long before this is in every home and in all products...Even oyur most private adn intimate activities could be caught on camera and shown to God only knows who...

Comcast Tests DVR That Watches You... Literally

from the some-things-don't-need-cameras dept

Broadband Reports points us to the news that Comcast has been experimenting (internally only) with putting cameras into DVRs in order to determine who and how many people are watching. Comcast lays out the reasons why this might be useful -- such as recognizing if a child is watching, so that child content filters are automatically turned on, or merely recognizing certain preferences based on who's watching. However, the creepiness factor of such an offering is quite high, and I doubt many people would be comfortable with such a camera -- especially coming from a company like Comcast that's been getting blasted for its traffic shaping efforts. Besides, it will be too tempting for marketers to avoid misusing such a technology. Nielsen, for example, has been trying to come up with all sorts of ways to figure out if people are really watching commercials or TV shows, or if they just leave the TV on and are doing something else. Think how tempting it would be to "spy" on people to get a sense of what they're really doing. If such a system was going to work, the homeowner would need to have full control over the camera. If it acted just like a computer webcam, with the individual having full control over how it was used and how it could be accessed, then people might be more comfortable with it (plus, conceivably it could open up the ability for people to do video chat via their TVs). But if it's sending any info back to Comast, it's going to make people exceptionally uncomfortable.

C

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: Big Brother Is Watching
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
did we have this thread already  ???

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:31:30 AM »
did we have this thread already  ???
this is different from the hoax box.  He got this from Alex Jones, the guy he hates ;D

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:37:28 AM »
comcast is actually discussing this?

you gotting be shitting me

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:13:50 AM »
comcast is actually discussing this?

you gotting be shitting me
probably with a little help from their nsa buddies ;D  Maybe they think they'll get 10,000 for each video surveillance...

Comcast, which is among the nation's largest telecommunication companies, charges $1,000 to install a FISA wiretap and $750 for each additional month authorities want to keep an eye on suspects
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/For_one_company_FISA_wiretaps_carry_1016.html

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:16 AM »
this is different from the hoax box.  He got this from Alex Jones, the guy he hates ;D

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR.....I hate that guy >:( >:( >:( >:(

But no I didn't get it from the Zionist cretin Alex...I actually stumbled on it while visiting a website about digital television. Americans are being watched at every turn...who knows... you all are looking at your monitors right now...and (GULP!) someone could be looking at you through it (yikes!!!..I better put my clothes on...and you better too...who knew???)... :D :D :D

C

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:16:23 AM »
How long before this is in every home and in all products...Even oyur most private adn intimate activities could be caught on camera and shown to God only knows who...

from the some-things-don't-need-cameras dept

Broadband Reports points us to the news that Comcast has been experimenting (internally only) with putting cameras into DVRs in order to determine who and how many people are watching. Comcast lays out the reasons why this might be useful -- such as recognizing if a child is watching, so that child content filters are automatically turned on, or merely recognizing certain preferences based on who's watching. However, the creepiness factor of such an offering is quite high, and I doubt many people would be comfortable with such a camera -- especially coming from a company like Comcast that's been getting blasted for its traffic shaping efforts. Besides, it will be too tempting for marketers to avoid misusing such a technology. Nielsen, for example, has been trying to come up with all sorts of ways to figure out if people are really watching commercials or TV shows, or if they just leave the TV on and are doing something else. Think how tempting it would be to "spy" on people to get a sense of what they're really doing. If such a system was going to work, the homeowner would need to have full control over the camera. If it acted just like a computer webcam, with the individual having full control over how it was used and how it could be accessed, then people might be more comfortable with it (plus, conceivably it could open up the ability for people to do video chat via their TVs). But if it's sending any info back to Comast, it's going to make people exceptionally uncomfortable.

The consumer would have to request or agree for this type of cable box right?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:22:15 AM »
Source? Sounds like another theory Samson conjured out of thin air, much like his physics equations.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
Source? Sounds like another theory Samson conjured out of thin air, much like his physics equations.

SOURCE???...Duh...COMCAST...try shooting them an e-mail about the article...or maybe you can Google these words

C

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:25 AM »
You said you stumbled upon it on a website about digital television. Link it.