Author Topic: A Feud Brews: Wanderlei Silva Wants Anderson Silva  (Read 905 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
A Feud Brews: Wanderlei Silva Wants Anderson Silva
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »
Stories of the feud between Anderson Silva and Chute Box are stuff of  MMA legend.  It's hard to sort fact from fiction, but what we do know is that there were hard feelings after a falling out years ago, and they've come back to the forefront recently.

It started with an interview Anderson Silva did with Brazilian television, where he reportedly called Wanderlei's move to middleweight pretentious, and said Wand would be hurt.  Wanderlei did not take it well, and had the following to say to Sherdog:

"He is too cocky. I hope he can read this. … I never talked anything bad about him; I always respected him. He has always been my friend, always respected me, but now he came with that statement. I can’t understand that. I didn’t come down to 185 to face him. Actually I didn’t have that intention. … Changing divisions and fighting the champion would be too pretentious. I should have to have many fights before facing him, but concerning his last statements, I think the way is open and the war is declared."

After Anderson's much-criticized performance Saturday night, Wanderlei slammed Anderson in Fighters Only Magazine:

"If you are going to fight in the main event you have a lot of responsibility because the fans pay to see [the fights] and this [performance] is bad for the sport. Everybody needs to have serious conduct in the fights, respect the fight."

I'd be lying if I said this didn't get me excited.  There are some rumors now about an Anderson-Jardine fight as the co-main event of UFC 102, though personally that fight does nothing for me.  I don't know what Wanderlei has in the tank, but this is the kind of war that excites me.  It probably ends in Wand going down, but you can say that about most Anderson Silva fights, and if Wanderlei can get by Rich Franklin they should do this fight.

I know there are all sorts of problems with this fight, but it has a few intangible factors going for it that other proposed Anderson fights don't have.  The guys don't like each other, fans actually care about both guys, and you know both will be extremely motivated.  If they're so scared of boring fights, this is one guaranteed to be the opposite.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: A Feud Brews: Wanderlei Silva Wants Anderson Silva
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »
id rather see a wandy main event cause as a fan your going to get your moneys worth imo, you know wandy doesnt care if your bjj,striker,judo ect, hes comin after your ass. youll never hear fans boo at a wandy fight, ill promise you that. i think wandy,s got 2 or 3 years left if he doesnt overtrain and takes care of himself like usuall, i know he aint what he used to be but i dont think hes done yet.

i asked tito one time who was the hardest hitting opponant you ever faced or sparred with, he said without hesitation, wanderlie silva. i asked him does he hit harder then lidell? (just for the record this was asked to tito by me before he fought chuck) but chuck was one of tito,s sparring partners for years so tito felt chucks punches, he said yes.

i thought that was interesting, the funny thing was baroni was sitting at the table also and says to me and tito, screw wanderlie, ill knock his head off, tito looked him square in the eye and said(good luck partner). phil then says to tito(silva really hits that hard?) tito says yeah man he hits that hard. tito,s like ef hutton, when he talks everyone gets quiet and listens, well back then they did when he had the belt, im not to sure about know cause i havent seen ortiz in awhile
R

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: A Feud Brews: Wanderlei Silva Wants Anderson Silva
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:37:36 AM »
id rather see a wandy main event cause as a fan your going to get your moneys worth imo, you know wandy doesnt care if your bjj,striker,judo ect, hes comin after your ass. youll never hear fans boo at a wandy fight, ill promise you that. i think wandy,s got 2 or 3 years left if he doesnt overtrain and takes care of himself like usuall, i know he aint what he used to be but i dont think hes done yet.

i asked tito one time who was the hardest hitting opponant you ever faced or sparred with, he said without hesitation, wanderlie silva. i asked him does he hit harder then lidell? (just for the record this was asked to tito by me before he fought chuck) but chuck was one of tito,s sparring partners for years so tito felt chucks punches, he said yes.

i thought that was interesting, the funny thing was baroni was sitting at the table also and says to me and tito, screw wanderlie, ill knock his head off, tito looked him square in the eye and said(good luck partner). phil then says to tito(silva really hits that hard?) tito says yeah man he hits that hard. tito,s like ef hutton, when he talks everyone gets quiet and listens, well back then they did when he had the belt, im not to sure about know cause i havent seen ortiz in awhile

Great story. yeah Wandy is a gun slinger and doesn't parade around in the ring. He is there for business and that's the only reason he shows up. I think Dana has been hooking him up a little to fat. Wandy aint a killer anymore how he used to be. Age will do that to a guy, but still one of my fave fighters for SURE!