Author Topic: Tony Gonzalez to Falcons  (Read 2511 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Tony Gonzalez to Falcons
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:15:57 PM »
ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons boosted their hopes for another trip to the playoffs by acquiring tight end Tony Gonzalez from the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday for a draft pick next year.

NFL.com Video

Highlights of the best moments from Tony Gonzalez in 2008.

The Chiefs insisted they also improved their chances for success in 2009 by making the trade.

The Falcons will send a second-round pick in 2010 to Kansas City in exchange for Gonzalez, the only tight end in NFL history selected to 10 Pro Bowls.

Gonzalez caught 96 passes for 1,058 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2008. He owns NFL career records for tight ends with 916 receptions, 10,940 yards receiving, 76 TDs receiving and 26 100-yard receiving games.

"It's somewhat bittersweet," Gonzalez told FoxSports.com. "I love Kansas City. I grew up in Kansas City. The city means a lot to me. I got there when I turned 21. It will be sad to leave a city I love. But I'm looking forward to making a Super Bowl run in Atlanta every year for the next three or four years."

Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli said it wasn't easy to trade the star, who played in 188 regular-season games for Kansas City.

"From an organizational as well as personal standpoint there are mixed emotions," Pioli said. "I have the highest personal and professional respect for Tony and consider him to be a future Pro Football Hall of Famer."

Among good-hands people
 Tight end Tony Gonzalez has remained among the NFL's primary passing targets, who are all receivers. Most receptions since 2005:

T.J. Houshmandzadeh 372
Larry Fitzgerald 368
Reggie Wayne 355
Torry Holt 352
Steve Smith 351
Tony Gonzalez 346

Pioli said the Chiefs, 2-14 in 2008, did not pursue a trade for Gonzalez, but agreed when the Falcons offered a second-round pick.

"This is something we really feel was a decision in the best short-term and long-term interest of the Chiefs," Pioli said, adding the 2010 draft pick could be used in another deal to acquire more picks in this weekend's draft.

"It may be that pick next year or it may be a pick this year or several picks," Pioli said.

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt called Gonzalez "one of the finest players in Chiefs history."

Gonzalez will provide a dramatic new look for the Falcons, who were 11-5 last year with rookie quarterback Matt Ryan starting every game.

"Tony's arrival will make an instant impact not only on the offensive side of the ball, but on the overall team in general," said Ryan, the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. "I feel privileged to be throwing the ball to a future Hall of Famer and I'm anxious to get on the field to start working with him."

Ryan has a new target and the Falcons have a new leader, but what about newly acquired Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel? Pioli said there's still plenty of time to bolster the Chiefs' offense before the season.

NFL.com Video

The Chiefs trade TE Tony Gonzalez to the Falcons.

"There's a lot of time between now and then for us to continue to shape our roster," Pioli said.

When asked how he would replace Gonzalez, new Chiefs coach Todd Haley said, "I don't know I have a direct answer for that right now.

"This is what we felt was best for us right now all things considered," Haley added. "We're doing everything we can to give ourselves the best chance to win games in 2009 and that's what we as a group felt was the best way to go."

The 33-year-old Gonzalez, who has three years remaining on his contract, asked to be traded last October. But then-general manager Carl Peterson said no team Gonzalez was willing to go to made a good enough offer.

Williamson: Bad move

It doesn't make sense that Kansas City has to wait until next year to get compensation for Tony Gonzalez. The Chiefs need plenty of help now. They could use another quality rookie. They could still use Gonzalez as well. Blog

Fantasy spin
The trade addresses one of the Falcons' top needs, freeing the organization to make defense the top priority in this weekend's draft.

The Falcons expect to receive compensatory picks next year for losing several free agents, including cornerback Domonique Foxworth and linebackers Michael Boley and Keith Brooking, making it easier for the team to trade the second-round pick to the Chiefs.

Gonzalez will join Pro Bowl receiver Roddy White to give the Falcons more passing balance.

"With Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Roddy White and now myself, we have the chance to be in the top five in the league in offense every year," Gonzalez said. "How could I not be excited to join that team?"

Before making the trade, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said, "Every team in this league dreams of having Tony Gonzalez run out of the tunnel for them."

After realizing that dream, Dimitroff said Gonzalez will add "a new dynamic to the Falcons' offense."

"His career numbers and records are top-notch and he will no doubt be an integral part of our offense," Dimitroff said.

The Falcons said Gonzalez will be in Atlanta for a news conference on Friday.
D

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Tony Gonzalez to Falcons
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
should be interesting.  Maybe I'll be able to catcha home game and see him in action.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
Good trade for Atlanta.  Too bad for McNabb.  Can't believe Philly didn't make this trade. 

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:12:45 PM »
Yeah, but hopefully Atlanta can become a serious threat in the near future.  There is talent, just have to pull it all together.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »
Good trade for Atlanta.  Too bad for McNabb.  Can't believe Philly didn't make this trade. 

Philly is looking at Braylon
D

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
i cant help but think the chiefs commited a crime here.

a 2nd for an over the hill vet who will done in 2 years. Chiefs will use that 2 to move up no doubt,

this does give ryan another reliable option. A win,stealwin situation

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:33 PM »
Philly is looking at Braylon

He'd be good.  They need to do something at WR.  I'd actually prefer Boldin. 

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:51:22 PM »
Not to be biased (biggest Dallas fan to ever wear Pro Tan) but Witten is the best TE in the NFL with his prodigy (Martellus Bennett) to become number 2!!!!!   Witten runs routes better than ANY WR......he blocks better than any OT and plays like a monster...and is a  all around good guy.  Considerring he came from the Vols!!!!!
((-::

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
He'd be good.  They need to do something at WR.  I'd actually prefer Boldin. 
They need need TO back more than we (Dallas) do.  No one fears filly anymore   Dawkins is goneand so is TO...Barber will have a field day running over that D.   And once you guys scare McNabb (best Philly qb since Randall), it will be back to the 83 Eagles...sorry and pethetic.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
That sound was DerrickThomas rolling in his grave.   He's pissed!!!!

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
They need need TO back more than we (Dallas) do.  No one fears filly anymore   Dawkins is goneand so is TO...Barber will have a field day running over that D.   And once you guys scare McNabb (best Philly qb since Randall), it will be back to the 83 Eagles...sorry and pethetic.

Need I mention that Philly was in the NFC championship last year. dawkins clearly lost a step...plus we beat the shit out of Dallas last year(choke artists) Plus TO was a cancer.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 02:24:32 PM »
i cant help but think the chiefs commited a crime here.

a 2nd for an over the hill vet who will done in 2 years. Chiefs will use that 2 to move up no doubt,

this does give ryan another reliable option. A win,stealwin situation

For anyone that thinks that he's over the hill...shame on you. you have no clue what you're talking about. The Chiefs used five different QB's last season and still Gonzalez piled up over 90 receptions, 1000 yards, and 10 touchdowns at age 32.

His presence as a redzone target will be huge for Matt Ryan. With his size catching balls over the LB's and in the seam, Atlanta is going to be in the top five in offense for the 2009 season. Atlanta just put themselves as one of the top fve teams in the NFC with the Gonzalez trade, in my opinion.

body88

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »

For anyone that thinks that he's over the hill...shame on you. you have no clue what you're talking about. The Chiefs used five different QB's last season and still Gonzalez piled up over 90 receptions, 1000 yards, and 10 touchdowns at age 32.

His presence as a redzone target will be huge for Matt Ryan. With his size catching balls over the LB's and in the seam, Atlanta is going to be in the top five in offense for the 2009 season. Atlanta just put themselves as one of the top fve teams in the NFC with the Gonzalez trade, in my opinion.

Tony g looked pretty damn good during the pro bowl with Manning throwing him the ball.   He's not done.  Gonzalez will be good for 700-1000 yards in receptions.  he's smart and knows where to be.  A lot of times that makes up for losing a little speed.  You can be a speedy rookie who plays slow if you don't have the experience!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 02:55:08 PM »
Tony g looked pretty damn good during the pro bowl with Manning throwing him the ball.   He's not done.  Gonzalez will be good for 700-1000 yards in receptions.  he's smart and knows where to be.  A lot of times that makes up for losing a little speed.  You can be a speedy rookie who plays slow if you don't have the experience!

Luckily for Gonzalez, it's never been about speed. He uses his height and size in the endzone to shield of defenders. I'm a big fan of his. I've followed his career since he was a rookie in 1997. Hard to believe it's been that long. I was still in college when he came to the pros. I'm 35 now!

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »

thats great buddy. hes the chiefs go to option, hell hes their ONLY option. Of course hes going to have inflated stats.

Can you find me me ONE 33 year old vet who was traded for a 2nd round pick?

ill wait.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
thats great buddy. hes the chiefs go to option, hell hes their ONLY option. Of course hes going to have inflated stats.

ill wait.

Jason Taylor... and that worked out really well...NOT
I Bleed PhillyEagle

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 07:08:43 PM »

ill wait.

So I take it that you feel the Chiefs got the better end of the trade? For the long term, perhaps. Gonzalez is a 2 year plan with Atlanta. I think it's worth it for Atlanta to spend a 2nd rounder on the trade. They are already a year or to away for competing for the NFC championship, in my opinion. They're looking for Gonzalez to be that piece on offense that takes them to the next level.

And again...Gonzalez has a lot of juice left in the tank.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 07:16:33 PM »

ill wait.

Joe Montana was traded at age 36 to KC for a first round draft pick.   

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »
Joe Montana was traded at age 36 to KC for a first round draft pick.   

nice stat bb!

Joe is an exception...a living legend,first ballot hof'r. He played HORRIBLE at kc btw

I need more proof!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 07:38:31 PM »
nice stat bb!

Joe is an exception...a living legend,first ballot hof'r. He played HORRIBLE at kc btw

I need more proof!

Um . . . he led KC to the playoffs both years, including the AFC Championship Game his first year. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 07:57:18 PM »
relative to his years in sf....he was an under achiever

horrible may have been the wrong word  :D

Its interesting youre a sf fan living in hawaii. I was crazy about the 49ers hen i was young...steve young was my guy.

now i just support my local teams

btw, find anymore stats?  ;)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 07:05:02 AM »
relative to his years in sf....he was an under achiever

horrible may have been the wrong word  :D

Its interesting youre a sf fan living in hawaii. I was crazy about the 49ers hen i was young...steve young was my guy.

now i just support my local teams

btw, find anymore stats?  ;)

Put some thought into your posts before actually writing it, dude. That's a bad oversight on your part regarding Montana's success in KC.

What did the Packers get in return for the Brett Favre trade to the Jets?

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 07:14:41 AM »
for favre, the pack got a conditional 4th round pick that would become a 1st round pick had the jets made the post season. they did not.

and....qb is the only position where you get a good return.

find me anyy other skill position where a 33+ guy was traded for a pick that high. The exceptions are few and far between

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »
for favre, the pack got a conditional 4th round pick that would become a 1st round pick had the jets made the post season. they did not.

and....qb is the only position where you get a good return.

find me anyy other skill position where a 33+ guy was traded for a pick that high. The exceptions are few and far between

Who cares? Are you digging for evidence that would validate your theory that Tony Gonzalez is not worth a second round pick for Atlanta?  There are exceptions to every supposed rule in sports. I think the trade benefits both sides a great deal. You'll realize this after the 2009 season is over.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 07:34:37 AM »
No, im telling YOU to give me evidence that gonzalez value is worth a 2nd rounder. Why would i need to give you evidence? History validates my claim

an aged vet for a high pick. It doesnt happen often.

and...the falcons wont do much...that divisionis a shit storm, every year a different team makes the postseason.