Author Topic: Dorian Yates at the 1991 Mr. Olympia... Did he deserve to win?  (Read 15040 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Dorian Yates at the 1991 Mr. Olympia... Did he deserve to win?
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »
Now, you're assuming that he couldn't achieve the same condition. I don't see where you get that rationale.

Look at Lou's Ferrigno's physique from the 70s; now look at his physique from the 90s.

If he can make that dramatic of a change, after that big of a time gap, I don't see it out of the question that Haney could mimic the size and definition changes that Yates did.

Haney admitted that in 1991 he finally peaked the day OF the contest not like all previous years where it was either the day before or the day after . and again he already competed at 257 pounds and guess what his conditioning suffered for it so what does that tell us? that he couldn't compete at higher bodyweights while maintaining his conditioning which wasn't as stellar as Dorians in the first place

And Lou looked much better in the 70s in my opinion , his gut and his implants looked atrocious , Loe was heavier obviously due to GH use but he really didn't look better , another example of a guy adding weight with an ill effect was Shawn Ray who competed at 215 pounds instead of his normal 205 and guess what? his conditioning was off , it's extremely hard to put on quality size while maintaining density & dryness

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
I am just correcting yates nuthuggers like yourself who claim dorian's latspread was unbeatable.

it was surpassed by ronnie, right here for your viewing pleasure: :P

Hulkster you're trolling Ronnie in non-Ronnie threads seriously fuck off.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2009, 06:34:49 PM »
uh no. haney was better that year.

sorry nuthuggers: ::)

My comment was referring to your incessant habit of calling Dorian a bricklayer (I bolded your quote in that regard to try help you keep up, guess you're too slow) , despite shots being posted where he is displaying a great physique.  You just can't help yourself, I guess that's why you're a troll.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
My comment was referring to your incessant habit of calling Dorian a bricklayer (I bolded your quote in that regard to try help you keep up, guess you're too slow) , despite shots being posted where he is displaying a great physique.  You just can't help yourself, I guess that's why you're a troll.

Great post ! he thinks if he constantly degrades Dorian that it makes Ronnie better and it doesn't , especially considering Ronnie has a tremendous amount of respect for Dorian and even though it may not be true feels that even after he hit his stride Dorian would still beat him.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
Haney admitted that in 1991 he finally peaked the day OF the contest not like all previous years where it was either the day before or the day after . and again he already competed at 257 pounds and guess what his conditioning suffered for it so what does that tell us? that he couldn't compete at higher bodyweights while maintaining his conditioning which wasn't as stellar as Dorians in the first place

And Lou looked much better in the 70s in my opinion , his gut and his implants looked atrocious , Loe was heavier obviously due to GH use but he really didn't look better , another example of a guy adding weight with an ill effect was Shawn Ray who competed at 215 pounds instead of his normal 205 and guess what? his conditioning was off , it's extremely hard to put on quality size while maintaining density & dryness

Lou looked best in the early 80's while filming Hercules. He was Olympia level condition in 1982.

DAMY

• Getbig III
  • I shit myself, therefore I am.
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 04:01:20 AM »
I think Haney was plainly thicker in the chest than Dorian. That's the only thing that jumped out at me about that year's O.

The rest is too close to call.

DAMY

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2009, 04:04:03 AM »
I think Haney was plainly thicker in the chest than Dorian. That's the only thing that jumped out at me about that year's O.

The rest is too close to call.

DAMY

also lee's back was wider than dorian's but lacked the sharpness and the hardness of dorian's back..

DAMY

• Getbig III
  • I shit myself, therefore I am.
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2009, 04:34:56 AM »
Fuck, I forgot about backs.

Since the Mr-O Dorian era, I don't think anyone, even now, has bettered his back.

DAMY

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2009, 05:14:47 AM »
Thats exactly right ND, ive read Dorian say in flex way back when that he felt he would of beaten Haney in 1992, i felt Haneys awesome physqiue he brought in 1991 would of still been too much for Dorian in 1992....1993 in my veiw would of been too much for Haney and while i know im in the minority i feel That 1993 Dorian Yates would of been too good for ANY MR OLYMPIA in history...with only a 1998 MR OLYMPIA Ronnie being too close to call.

Is this a joke? Other than that, I agree.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »
Dorian acknowledged Haney's superiority in the 1991 contest, agreeing that Haney was better on that day.  It was close, but Haney was deserving of the title.  Regardless, Dorian would not have been the type to complain about a contest result.  He would simply dig deep and commit to working hard to show up better the next time.  Something most of his counterparts would have been wise to follow.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2009, 08:08:39 AM »
Game Ovahhhh  :)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2009, 08:50:33 AM »
Regardless, Dorian would not have been the type to complain about a contest result

why would he when they gave him gifts looking like this? ::)
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2009, 08:59:45 AM »

lmao this coming from the troll who claims Ronnie dominated in 2001 lol by losing the entire prejudging and great pic BTW  ::)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »

Ray could have taken it in 1994. I'll stand by that statement.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2009, 09:05:50 AM »

of course he could. dorian got a gift.
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »

Ray thought otherwise

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »
of course he could. dorian got a gift.

BOOM owned yet again moron and by MuscleMag  ;)

Musclemag International Feb 1995

On the 1994 Mr Olympia

Was it after all a luckywin? I chose to use the word " lucky " because  without a doubt there was an element of luck involved in Dorian's third consecutive Mr. O title . He was far from his best.

I would NOT not wish the reader to leave these pages thinking that the Sandow had been given a handout. THAT WOULD BE FAR FROM THE TRUTH.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:37 AM »

Once again you stray off course in a transparent attempt to bash Dorian.    How about you stay the f*ck out of any Dorian thread from now on, troll. ::)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2009, 09:50:40 AM »
Ray thought otherwise

..but only when under Weider contract..

::)

he has since publicly blasted the decision, including here on getbig.

ps you are famous for taking one quote from a bb and sticking with it, no matter what they have said in the past.

why do you not do the same with Ray?

eg. ronnie said in 99 he was better conditioned than in 98

but later said 98 was the best conditioning he has ever showed and you shove this one down our throats.

if ray said he was okay with 94 but later said he was screwed, why dont you take the second quote?

oh thats right, you are a biased pathetic moron who picks and choses quotes to fit your agenda.. ::)
Flower Boy Ran Away

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
Haney admitted that in 1991 he finally peaked the day OF the contest not like all previous years where it was either the day before or the day after . and again he already competed at 257 pounds and guess what his conditioning suffered for it so what does that tell us? that he couldn't compete at higher bodyweights while maintaining his conditioning which wasn't as stellar as Dorians in the first place.

Actually, I believe his words were that he finally LEARNED how to peak.

The point is that this whole idea that Haney had simply maxed out his size and conditioning potential simply has little merit to it, espeically since he retired at the tender age of 31, just 2-3 years older than Yates.

And, it's mainly propped up by Yates fans, who are a bit miffed that Haney beat their guy. 

The issue with Lou Ferrigno isn't whether he looked "better" in the 70s vs. the 90s. Ferrigno was able to increase his size and definition. Calf issue aside, he looked unreal in 1993, where he placed 10th at the Olympia.

And I used him to make the point that, if he can have a size and conditioning increase of that magnitude, after taking all those years off and being in his 40s, there's no reason to suggest that Haney couldn't have done something similar.

Suggesting that Haney was in the twilight of his career, while Yates was just getting started, is what some Yates' fans do to stomach the fact that The Awesome one defeated the Shadow, in their lone appearance onstage together.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2009, 12:31:25 PM »
..but only when under Weider contract..

he has since publicly blasted the decision, including here on getbig.

ps you are famous for taking one quote from a bb and sticking with it, no matter what they have said in the past.

why do you not do the same with Ray?

eg. ronnie said in 99 he was better conditioned than in 98

but later said 98 was the best conditioning he has ever showed and you shove this one down our throats.

if ray said he was okay with 94 but later said he was screwed, why dont you take the second quote?

oh thats right, you are a biased pathetic moron who picks and choses quotes to fit your agenda.. ::)

Oh so now it suits your purposes to use quotes after the fact  ::) the Ronnie quote as of late about his conditioning is useless but now the Ray one is? more of your retarded logic and who cares in the end? the judges judge contests and according to them the 1994 Mr Olympia was a close contest ....for second & third

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2009, 12:39:46 PM »

The point is that this whole idea that Haney had simply maxed out his size and conditioning potential simply has little merit to it, espeically since he retired at the tender age of 31, just 2-3 years older than Yates.

And, it's mainly propped up by Yates fans, who are a bit miffed that Haney beat their guy. 

The issue with Lou Ferrigno isn't whether he looked "better" in the 70s vs. the 90s. Ferrigno was able to increase his size and definition. Calf issue aside, he looked unreal in 1993, where he placed 10th at the Olympia.

And I used him to make the point that, if he can have a size and conditioning increase of that magnitude, after taking all those years off and being in his 40s, there's no reason to suggest that Haney couldn't have done something similar.

Suggesting that Haney was in the twilight of his career, while Yates was just getting started, is what some Yates' fans do to stomach the fact that The Awesome one defeated the Shadow, in their lone appearance onstage together.

No it has merit to it , and why? he tried to compete past his usual good conditioned 250 pounds and his conditioning suffered for it and at his best Haney's conditioning wasn't on Dorian's level anyway , and I don't have a problem with Haney winning in 1991

the reason for the size increase was obviously due to GH  his conditioning was good for that weight but again we already have an example of Haney coming in heavier albeit softer , so entertaining he could come in bigger and maintain the same conditioning in my opinion he still couldn't compete with Yates in the conditioning department , but I get your point there would be room from improvement seeing he was young.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »
No it has merit to it , and why? he tried to compete past his usual good conditioned 250 pounds and his conditioning suffered for it and at his best Haney's conditioning wasn't on Dorian's level anyway , and I don't have a problem with Haney winning in 1991

Hence the reason, I said "some" Yates fans do that. I simply see it as Haney having tried to compete that heavy but not come in his best condition. As luck would have it, the one show where he finally learned how to peak was his LAST. I figure, if he did it once, he can do it again, perhaps at a heavier bodyweight.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »
Hence the reason, I said "some" Yates fans do that. I simply see it as Haney having tried to compete that heavy but not come in his best condition. As luck would have it, the one show where he finally learned how to peak was his LAST. I figure, if he did it once, he can do it again, perhaps at a heavier bodyweight.

I get your point and it's valid perhaps he could have he was ceratinly young enough it would have been great to see an old Sergio/Arnold rivalry , Haney had enough size & thickness to compete but he was smart he did everything he wanted in the sport and literally retired at the top of his game.