Author Topic: 1st pick in the draft Stafford signs with the Lions  (Read 1804 times)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
1st pick in the draft Stafford signs with the Lions
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:43:29 PM »
$41.7 mil guarenteed. Holy guac. 6 years/72$ mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4097641

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Re: 1st pick in the draft Stafford signs with the Lions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
$41.7 mil guarenteed. Holy guac. 6 years/72$ mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4097641

Sigh....i knew this was coming....We keep on failing  :o No protection for Matty and he will be on a new team in 3 or 4 years
D

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
Hopefully he's not Joey part II.  Your offensive lineman's hamstrings can't catch the ball kid.

body88

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »
Sigh....i knew this was coming....We keep on failing  :o No protection for Matty and he will be on a new team in 3 or 4 years

Do you not have a second first round pick?  if its done right this could be a great deal.  You saw what Ryan did for the Falcons and what Flacco did for the Ravens.  This is a deep draft.

These are the facts:

An elite tackle with no qb = another losing season.  An elite qb with an above average olmen taken in rd 1 = game changer.  Let em finish out the draft before you pan this pick.  Dont listen to all the draft "gurus".  I can remember the year the pats took Mankins all the "gurus" panned the pick.  Now he's a pro bowl player.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 07:59:48 AM »

Do you not have a second first round pick?  if its done right this could be a great deal.  You saw what Ryan did for the Falcons and what Flacco did for the Ravens.  This is a deep draft.

These are the facts:

An elite tackle with no qb = another losing season.  An elite qb with an above average olmen taken in rd 1 = game changer.  Let em finish out the draft before you pan this pick.  Dont listen to all the draft "gurus".  I can remember the year the pats took Mankins all the "gurus" panned the pick.  Now he's a pro bowl player.

Yea, we are sitting at #20 in the first round also but we will be looking at which ever U$C linebacker that is still on the board. Detroit has the 33rd pick and i would like to see Larinutus there. Pick #20 should be used on a guard or OT but they will be gone by that time. I would have rather had Curry or Jason Smith as the first round pick.
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »
I wonder just how much pull Ford still has in these decisions. There have been many rumors about his "interjection" into who got drafted and had to play in the past, and he is no Jerry Jones.

This pick is a bit of a surprise, especially the guaranteed $40 million Stafford will get, since it seemed most Lions/Lions fans were smitten with Curry and our defense was as useful last season as a screendoor on a submarine.

Either way, the Lions are and always will be a disaster as a franchise until Ford Sr. gives up control or they just do the smart thing and hire a GM who has a reputation for putting together Super Bowl-quality teams.
D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 11:28:20 AM »
Man that's a lot of money.  The NFL needs a rookie salary cap like the NBA. 

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:02:04 AM »
Looks like they are going with offense on the first two picks.  I would really like to see them get a big physical lineman with their 3rd round pick,  they'll probably pick a running back. ::)