Author Topic: Should schools convert to a 4 Day Week for their students?  (Read 693 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
There is a lot of talk here in FL about schools opting to convert a 4 day school schedule for students.

Do you think this is a good or bad thing?  Kids seem to get more days off now than they should.  I remember when I was in school (and I am only 28, so only 6 years have passed since I finished my masters), we got maybe 1 teachers planning day every 3 months.  So unless you were sick, your mom let you stay out, or you skipped school you had to wait for Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Xmas/NYE, and Memorial Day to have an extra free day. 

I see school schedules here that include at LEAST 3 early release days PER MONTH.  And at least 1 official "school closing" per month.  And that is just the days that are published on the calendar that is made available to the public each year.  They often add more free days or early release days as well that isn't listed.  Some at the last minute.  Every now and then I hear workers getting frustrated about "Little Johnny just called and said I need to pick him up from school because they said today was early release day.."  etc...

But all that aside, do you think a 4 day school week will benefit the students or not?  The teachers?  (or anyone else?  Day care and baby sitters for the extra day I suppose would benefit.)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Should schools convert to a 4 Day Week for their students?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:15:26 PM »
For what purpose? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:16:42 PM »
There is a lot of talk here in FL about schools opting to convert a 4 day school schedule for students.

Do you think this is a good or bad thing?  Kids seem to get more days off now than they should.  I remember when I was in school (and I am only 28, so only 6 years have passed since I finished my masters), we got maybe 1 teachers planning day every 3 months.  So unless you were sick, your mom let you stay out, or you skipped school you had to wait for Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Xmas/NYE, and Memorial Day to have an extra free day. 

I see school schedules here that include at LEAST 3 early release days PER MONTH.  And at least 1 official "school closing" per month.  And that is just the days that are published on the calendar that is made available to the public each year.  They often add more free days or early release days as well that isn't listed.  Some at the last minute.  Every now and then I hear workers getting frustrated about "Little Johnny just called and said I need to pick him up from school because they said today was early release day.."  etc...

But all that aside, do you think a 4 day school week will benefit the students or not?  The teachers?  (or anyone else?  Day care and baby sitters for the extra day I suppose would benefit.)

I could see that if they had projects to do on the day off or other tasks.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:21:59 PM »
I don't think it is a good idea at all.  One it puts more of a burden on the parents, but also does an injustice to the kids.  They aren't getting taught enough as it is.  I am assuming they are doing all this to help save money?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:37:32 PM »
For what purpose? 

any purpose they need.  hell they tell you a reason and then never do what they say... so it doesn't matter.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
any purpose they need.  hell they tell you a reason and then never do what they say... so it doesn't matter.

I agree government doesn't always do what it says it will do. 

I guess if it was a budget crisis and they did this on a temporary basis that would be one thing, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a legitimate reason for something like this. 

But my answer would be "no way."  Our kids don't work hard enough as it is. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 12:47:36 PM »
I'm not sure about 4 days a week.

if anything school should start later. either 10 or 11 and finish @ 5

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:55:32 PM »
I disagree with a lot of the posters... I think our kids bust their asses in school.

I know my son does.

I don't think they should be reducing the days though... I had to be miserable 5 days a week, so should they.

They shouldn't entertain that all year school crap either... Kids need that 3 month break to decompress... It's perfect the way it is.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »
So would the learning benefits that student receive (or should receive) 5 days a week, be lessen by a 4 day week, or would it improve as it gives time to assimilate what is being taught.  For the slow learners.  As we know, sometimes a slow learner or two can impact the learning curve for the entire class as they need extra time to be brought up to speed.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
I've easily learned more out of school than I ever did in school.

"I've never let my school interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

8)
S

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »
A lot of the push for 4 day school weeks is coming from the teachers unions. Who doesn't want a 4 day work week?

I have yet to see a sound argument for having a shorter week.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »
Absolutely not.  Kids are hardly ever in school enough as it is anyways.  Even holiday recesses are going to be longer.  Add to the study halls, normal classroom disruptions, time in between classes, lunch, and a large portion of actual teaching dedicated to FCAT study, there really isn't much teaching and learning going on at all.

This just adds to the lack of homegrown talent in the field of mathematics and engineering, which will end up being plugged in by dedicated Asian and European graduates.  Maybe its time colleges got ride of "fluff" degrees like liberal arts, pastry making, knitting, rock wall climbing, and above all, political science.

Recap:

Dumb American kids get.....dumber.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »
A lot of the push for 4 day school weeks is coming from the teachers unions. Who doesn't want a 4 day work week?

I have yet to see a sound argument for having a shorter week.

You are 100% correct.These f'n idiots work 186 day work year.Think about that 186 days a year and now they want more days off.Jam more homework on the kids so they can go get drunk or whatever they do in their spare time.The teachers unions have done more to destroy the educational system in this country then anything else.When you cant fire shitty teachers because the uninons protect them,you know you have a problem.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
As a parent, the homework situation pisses me off. I see a lot of teachers assigning outside-of-school projects to compensate for a lack of teaching in the class room.