Author Topic: Church has a beef with Mormon beefcake calendar  (Read 958 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Church has a beef with Mormon beefcake calendar
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »
'Men on a Mission' cost its publisher membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and his degree from BYU. But he's shooting photos of 2010's hunks and plans a new calendar -- with sexy Mormon moms.

Church has a beef with Mormon beefcake calendar
By Ashley Powers

Reporting from Las Vegas -- A male model wearing a kilt of black vinyl strips, a red belt with a gold buckle and little else is flexing his muscles amid fake oil derricks and Roman columns in a photo studio. All chiseled pectorals and tanned thighs, he is playing Captain Moroni, a battlefield hero in the Book of Mormon who rallied troops with the Title of Liberty banner.

Chad Hardy, who is running the photo shoot, adjusts the model's kilt. Captain Moroni lifts his chin, grips a sword and hoists the banner.

"Flex your abs," Hardy reminds him.
When the model crunches his stomach, Hardy shouts: "That's it!"

Hardy, 32, is the creator of "Men on a Mission," a calendar series that sends up the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with photographs of hunky former missionaries in poses, characters and settings familiar to the faithful.

Like adults of many religions, Hardy has questions about the faith he was raised in, but the entrepreneurial -- and very public -- way he questions it has made him a flashpoint for debate among Mormons.

Hardy's first calendar, which has a shirtless Mormon for each month, was applauded by liberal-minded churchgoers when it was released in 2007. But as time passed and the Mormon Church faced unflattering publicity over a raid on a polygamous breakaway sect in Texas and its support for a gay marriage ban in California, others complained that the calendar was damaging the image of the faith.

One of the kinder Internet posts about Hardy calls him "an attention whore who . . . can contribute to bad LDS stereotypes and raise public disdain of church members."

Mormon officialdom has come down on him hard. He was excommunicated from the church, then barred from receiving his degree from Brigham Young University...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-mormonbeefcake28-2009apr28,0,4599133.story

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Church has a beef with Mormon beefcake calendar
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:04:41 PM »
retarded

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
They're welcome to ex-communicate him all they want, ...but robbing him of the degree he earned is going too far.

I hope he takes them to the cleaners!

as an aside, ...he recruited models at Mormon dances?  ??? Mormons dance?!   :o
w

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:56:18 AM »
They're welcome to ex-communicate him all they want, ...but robbing him of the degree he earned is going too far.

I hope he takes them to the cleaners!

as an aside, ...he recruited models at Mormon dances?  ??? Mormons dance?!   :o

i think they are taking it too far. 

mormons do dance, don't get me wrong it's not footloose or anything, i mean come on, most of them are white, lol.  A friend of mine is mormon and we used to go to the dances.  I thought it was pretty lame.  Didn't like the church either, lookedd like a converted office buidling inside.  Also most mormon girls i have met are um, let's say loose.  They were pretty easy, especially if you werent a mormon.  I knew a girl that was banging a guy in one of the rooms while the dance was going on.