Author Topic: Too old to become a parent?  (Read 7319 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Too old to become a parent?
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:37:19 AM »
LA Times is reporting that Sarah Jessica Parker & Matthew Broderick are expecting twin girls via a surrogate.  She is 44.  He is 47.  Isn't that a little old to be raising infants (even via surrogacy)?  Even if you have the financial means to provide for the child?  Madonna is 51 and tried to adopt an infant...

The other day, at a party, someone asked me if we were going to have a kid.  At 40 I think I'm pushing it.  In your mind, how old is too old (assuming money isn't an issue) to start a family with infants?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Too old to become a parent?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
There's no definitive answer.

It depends on how selfish you are as a person and risk tolerance.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:00:42 AM »
Who is any of us to tell someone else they are too old to start a family?

That's as presumptuous as telling people over the age of 18 who want to, that they cannot get married.

If it ain't my uterus, ...it's none of my business. 
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:12:02 AM »
Who is any of us to tell someone else they are too old to start a family?

That's as presumptuous as telling people over the age of 18 who want to, that they cannot get married.

If it ain't my uterus, ...it's none of my business. 

If people want their 16 year old to have a 70 year old parent to play catch with it's their own business. I just feel it's selfish but wouldn't be running around yanking out uteruses to stop people. :) Also, children of older parents have more anxiety disorders. I won't go into retarded kids because it's not politically correct.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:16:28 AM »
my mom had me when she was 40.  Personally  ithink that once you are over that age, it gets a little too old.  lots of complications become a factor. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
The youngest mother I personally know was 12 when she gave birth. No money and hardly any brains.

Often times the older the parent, the more financially stable, wiser and more experienced they are.

Any body can be taken at any moment, anyone who expects to live throughout their childs entire lifetime, or expects a parent to live throughout a child's entire lifetime is a fool. To not have a child because you might be dead in x number of years is stupid. Everybody dies at some point in time. Deal with it.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »
If people want their 16 year old to have a 70 year old parent to play catch with it's their own business. I just feel it's selfish but wouldn't be running around yanking out uteruses to stop people. :) Also, children of older parents have more anxiety disorders. I won't go into retarded kids because it's not politically correct.

How many 16 yr olds play catch? That's a stupid premise anyway.
If a 16 yr old wants to play catch, he can do it with another 16 yr old. Just like the 4 yr. old who makes mudpies.  ::)
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »
How many 16 yr olds play catch? That's a stupid premise anyway.
If a 16 yr old wants to play catch, he can do it with another 16 yr old. Just like the 4 yr. old who makes mudpies.  ::)

I should have said hockey.  :) There are kids who play with their parents, I'll play lacrosse with the kids, hoola hoop, catch and whatever other lame crap keeps them amused. The older ones are too big for piggy-back rides but I'm young/fit enough to pull it off.

My opinion is that it's an act of pure selfishness. Having children at extreme ages also has health risks like Downs and early onset of Parkinsons in the offspring.

Like a 16 year old wants to worry about finding their darn near 60 year old parents dead after school one day, go to functions and have people wonder if they are your grandparents. Better yet, it'll be great seeing them decline when you're in college and even more fun to have your children lose their grandparents at really young ages.

Just because people can do things doesn't mean they should. :)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »
Damn, I'm sorry she looks like a dude, and by the time that kid is 20, she'll be 64, ugh...

I'm thinking that is too old. She should have had kids earlier if she really wanted kids. Just like Halle, but Halle is unstable.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »
The youngest mother I personally know was 12 when she gave birth. No money and hardly any brains.

Often times the older the parent, the more financially stable, wiser and more experienced they are.

Any body can be taken at any moment, anyone who expects to live throughout their childs entire lifetime, or expects a parent to live throughout a child's entire lifetime is a fool. To not have a child because you might be dead in x number of years is stupid. Everybody dies at some point in time. Deal with it.

I think you are being silly.  Obviously anything can happen to anyone at any time, but it is perfectly reasonable to expect that a normal healthy person would live through their child’s coming of age and into adulthood.

Nature, in her infinite wisdom, has decided that women should lose the ability to have a child beyond a certain age for a reason.  Children deserve and often need young, active, and healthy parents.  By the way, even though men can still produce sperm in their 50, 60s, and 70s any geneticist worth his salt would advice against it; the sperm men produce after, say, 45 is simply not as healthy as the sperm we produce as young men.  Children born to older men are much more likely to suffer from serious genetic illnesses.

It is nice that mature people can provide for children who need homes—particularly orphans whom would otherwise have no parents, but what Parker and Broderick are doing puts a  :-\ on my face.  For better or worse the behavior of high profile people is often taken as a model.  I think this is a bad (selfish) example.

On the other hand, I think Madonna’s effort to adopt that child was a selfless example.  Yes, she is “older” but she was going to give a home, education, and life opportunities to a orphaned child who would otherwise likely know nothing but misery and premature death.

In an ideal world, we should follow nature's example: people are physically best suited to raise children in their 20s and 30s.  Not 50s and 60s.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 07:35:22 PM »
I think you are being silly.  Obviously anything can happen to anyone at any time, but it is perfectly reasonable to expect that a normal healthy person would live through their child’s coming of age and into adulthood.

Nature, in her infinite wisdom, has decided that women should lose the ability to have a child beyond a certain age for a reason.  Children deserve and often need young, active, and healthy parents.  By the way, even though men can still produce sperm in their 50, 60s, and 70s any geneticist worth his salt would advice against it; the sperm men produce after, say, 45 is simply not as healthy as the sperm we produce as young men.  Children born to older men are much more likely to suffer from serious genetic illnesses.

It is nice that mature people can provide for children who need homes—particularly orphans whom would otherwise have no parents, but what Parker and Broderick are doing puts a  :-\ on my face.  For better or worse the behavior of high profile people is often taken as a model.  I think this is a bad (selfish) example.

On the other hand, I think Madonna’s effort to adopt that child was a selfless example.  Yes, she is “older” but she was going to give a home, education, and life opportunities to a orphaned child who would otherwise likely know nothing but misery and premature death.

In an ideal world, we should follow nature's example: people are physically best suited to raise children in their 20s and 30s.  Not 50s and 60s.

People re also best suited to raise children when they are financially, emotionally, mentally, and physically healthy.

So tell a 25 yr old with diabetes, not to have kids. Tell a body builder whose pumped their body with all sorts of drugs they shouldn't pass their genes on. I'm of the opinion that no one has the right to tell any adult they should not have kids. That's their decision. It's absolutely none of my business, ...just as telling YOU, that you shouldn't be allowed to marry shouldn't be my call to make. It's an individual choice, ...or at least it should be.

Neither Sarah Jessica Parker, nor Matthew Broderick are in their 50's or 60's.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »
I should have said hockey.  :) There are kids who play with their parents, I'll play lacrosse with the kids, hoola hoop, catch and whatever other lame crap keeps them amused. The older ones are too big for piggy-back rides but I'm young/fit enough to pull it off.

My opinion is that it's an act of pure selfishness. Having children at extreme ages also has health risks like Downs and early onset of Parkinsons in the offspring.

Like a 16 year old wants to worry about finding their darn near 60 year old parents dead after school one day, go to functions and have people wonder if they are your grandparents. Better yet, it'll be great seeing them decline when you're in college and even more fun to have your children lose their grandparents at really young ages.

Just because people can do things doesn't mean they should. :)

So go tell a deaf man he shouldn't have kids, 'cause children want their parents to listen to them.

Tell a blind person, they do not have the right to reproduce, 'cause kids like to fingerpaint crappy pictures in kindergarten, and a blind person won't be able to fawn all over the flower that looks more like an elephant.

While you're at it, tell a man who suffers from chronic backache he shouldn't have kids 'cause he'll be unable to pick them up after the age of 3 without throwing out his back.

Even better yet, ...why don't YOU get your nose out of other people's reproductive business!
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 08:21:24 PM »
So go tell a deaf man he shouldn't have kids, 'cause children want their parents to listen to them.

Tell a blind person, they do not have the right to reproduce, 'cause kids like to fingerpaint crappy pictures in kindergarten, and a blind person won't be able to fawn all over the flower that looks more like an elephant.

While you're at it, tell a man who suffers from chronic backache he shouldn't have kids 'cause he'll be unable to pick them up after the age of 3 without throwing out his back.

Even better yet, ...why don't YOU get your nose out of other people's reproductive business!

Those are great examples of people who should be less selfish. Instead of having someone to play with them kids will have disabled parents who have decided in advance that they (the children) can do with less. Same as someone ass broke, too fat and a million other conditions that cause misery to children.

Same thing applies to people with genetic diseases. They decide to have kids all the time hoping to get lucky. These very same assclowns are arrogant enough to believe the avoidable disability is either God's will or that their awesome parenting skills can add so much quality to the child's life that it shouldn't mind being purposely disabled.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:56 PM »
People re also best suited to raise children when they are financially, emotionally, mentally, and physically healthy.

So tell a 25 yr old with diabetes, not to have kids. Tell a body builder whose pumped their body with all sorts of drugs they shouldn't pass their genes on. I'm of the opinion that no one has the right to tell any adult they should not have kids. That's their decision. It's absolutely none of my business, ...just as telling YOU, that you shouldn't be allowed to marry shouldn't be my call to make. It's an individual choice, ...or at least it should be.

Neither Sarah Jessica Parker, nor Matthew Broderick are in their 50's or 60's.

Once again you are being silly.  Are you always this histrionic?  I'm not trying to pass a law banning them from having children.  Nor am I saying it is not their call to me.  Rather I am soliciting the opinion of women in this forum and offering my own opinion that the Parker/Boderick example is enough to give one pause.  :-\

Thank you for your opinion; I welcome the perspectives of other women in this forum.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
the only thing kids catch now is herpes.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
Once again you are being silly.  Are you always this histrionic?

Oh Puleaze! Do you think it's easy to be a 24/7 dramaqueen?  ;) 
Well it's not. It takes hard work. I just make it look easy. True talent will do that ya know?  :)

I'm not trying to pass a law banning them from having children.  Nor am I saying it is not their call to me.

Ya well, ...you know that's the next step doncha?

Rather I am soliciting the opinion of women in this forum and offering my own opinion that the Parker/Boderick example is enough to give one pause.  :-\

Thank you for your opinion; I welcome the perspectives of other women in this forum.

Huh? Oh poop! I think I've just been dismissed.  :-\   Hrmph!  >:(
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 05:23:45 AM »
the only thing kids catch now is herpes.

I know someone with a genetic disease (mild form) that has decided to not pass it on. She's certain no child would want to suffer a 'mild' genetic disease or pass it on to their own children.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 06:33:32 AM »
I have a relative that was 51 when his first (and only) child was born.  I think his wife was early 40's at the time.  The kid has brought a lot of joy to their lives and vice versa but my relative has cancer now.  But my dad died at age 36 of cancer when I was 10. 

Oh, and I thought I heard the Brodericks were having marital difficulties?  Hope that wasn't true.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 06:40:01 AM »
if i had any genetic diseases i would make sure to not have kids. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 07:13:55 AM »
if i had any genetic diseases i would make sure to not have kids. 

That's a very broad statement don't you think?  Whether we realize it or not, we are all carriers of a variety of genetic illnesses.  Some are obviously manifest, some are not.  Some (will) seriously impact our quality of life, some will not. 

Stephen Hawking, the brilliant theoretical physicist, was crippled by a genetic illness that manifest when he was in college.  If a genetic test were available at the time to tell his parents their child would likely develop ALS should they have avoided having children?  How dim would our world be without the contributions of the handicapped and severely disabled?  I would not want to live in a world without the contributions of Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, or Stephen Hawkings.  Very often biomedical innovations are made by people who either have a genetic illness themselves or in their immediate family.

Certainly, no one is going to cheer at the thought of having a genetic illness, but genetic variation--which often takes the form of what we consider an illness--can be a blessing as well as curse.  Modern eyeglasses where invented by people with occluded vision; glasses led to magnifying glasses and telescopes.  Where would biology, modern medicine, physics, chemistry or, astronomy be without those tools?

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 07:19:16 AM »
If i knew that there was a high probablity that my kid would come out severly deformed, or had some form of debilitating diesease and would be a breathing vegetable, sorry but I won't go through with it.  Call it greedy, selfish what have you. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
That's a very broad statement don't you think?  Whether we realize it or not, we are all carriers of a variety of genetic illnesses.  Some are obviously manifest, some are not.  Some (will) seriously impact our quality of life, some will not. 

Stephen Hawking, the brilliant theoretical physicist, was crippled by a genetic illness that manifest when he was in college.  If a genetic test were available at the time to tell his parents their child would likely develop ALS should they have avoided having children?  How dim would our world be without the contributions of the handicapped and severely disabled?  I would not want to live in a world without the contributions of Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, or Stephen Hawkings.  Very often biomedical innovations are made by people who either have a genetic illness themselves or in their immediate family.

Certainly, no one is going to cheer at the thought of having a genetic illness, but genetic variation--which often takes the form of what we consider an illness--can be a blessing as well as curse.  Modern eyeglasses where invented by people with occluded vision; glasses led to magnifying glasses and telescopes.  Where would biology, modern medicine, physics, chemistry or, astronomy be without those tools?

The world survived before all those people and would still be here without them.

It wouldn't be as cool without Ray and Stevie but we'd still be here.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »
If i knew that there was a high probablity that my kid would come out severly deformed, or had some form of debilitating diesease and would be a breathing vegetable, sorry but I won't go through with it.  Call it greedy, selfish what have you. 

What if a test indicated that you child would develop ALS (like Hawkings) in his early 20s.  Or be blind from birth?

By the way, have you ever dated someone with an obvious disability?  Do you have any such individuals in your family?

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 07:49:04 AM »
 :'(

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 02:19:24 PM »
LA Times is reporting that Sarah Jessica Parker & Matthew Broderick are expecting twin girls via a surrogate.  She is 44.  He is 47.  Isn't that a little old to be raising infants (even via surrogacy)?  Even if you have the financial means to provide for the child?  Madonna is 51 and tried to adopt an infant...

The other day, at a party, someone asked me if we were going to have a kid.  At 40 I think I'm pushing it.  In your mind, how old is too old (assuming money isn't an issue) to start a family with infants?

Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90 when they had Isaac.  Of course, that was a special circumstance.

~