Author Topic: Why no High Intensity Cardio for State Level Bodybuilders  (Read 6955 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: Why no High Intensity Cardio for State Level Bodybuilders
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 09:37:57 PM »

Haven't there been many people that have used over 200 grams of carbs a day precontest and still gotten under 6%?

No...there's not.

And those that have were top level pro's with lots of muscle requiring more carbs to sustain.  

When you're 270 lbs. in contest condition...200 g./ day IS low

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »
Simple...because doing high int burns CARBS...low intensity burns FAT.  When on a low carb diet, the last thing you want to be doing is burning up what little carbs/ glycogen you have stored.

Bunch of bullshit. Natural bodybuilders benefit more from HIT cardio than low intensity cardio according to recent studies.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »
Whats the point of saving time if you lose muscle (especially noticable on a state level bb) and place low in your show? I've worked a 50 hr week and if you wanna get the cardio done you'll make time. Join a 24 hr fitness. 2hrs is really an extreme that most pros who don't blow up like balloons don't have to do accept maybe a few times closer to the show. Dexter just started doing cardio like 20-45 mins a day and he's peeled every time.

You won't lose muscle if you are eating enough calories and protein. 

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 09:41:24 PM »

Haven't there been many people that have used over 200 grams of carbs a day precontest and still gotten under 6%?

200 g for someone like Jay is very low. For me at 210 and not ripped its kinda high.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 09:41:30 PM »
There's also a little thing called heart rate...the higher it goes, the more calories are burned.  After HIT cardio, a person's heart rate stays elevated for quite some time...accelerating fat loss.

Bob, I think the main reason why most bodybuilders don't do HIT cardio is because it requires a ton of energy and isn't easy.

"calories" is a pretty generic term....calories from where? carbs?

Burning stored fat is the objective...which you never get to when you're burning nothing but carbs, never getting to the fat....like all the fat chicks you see TEACHING aerobic classes....awesome cardiovascular, but cant get trim

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 09:41:36 PM »
Whats the point of saving time if you lose muscle (especially noticable on a state level bb) and place low in your show? I've worked a 50 hr week and if you wanna get the cardio done you'll make time. Join a 24 hr fitness. 2hrs is really an extreme that most pros who don't blow up like balloons don't have to do accept maybe a few times closer to the show. Dexter just started doing cardio like 20-45 mins a day and he's peeled every time.

By the way you do know that DExter is a lying sack of shit right?...The guy, like Vince Taylor have do more cardio then most...They just like to tell everyone that they don't...

Why else would Dexter look like shit at almost every guest posing he has shown up at in the last 5 years...

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »
Bunch of bullshit. Natural bodybuilders benefit more from HIT cardio than low intensity cardio according to recent studies.

Exactly!  People are finally catching on.  It's OK to bust your ass to get ripped!  You don't have to spend hours and hours on the treadmills like the pros (many of whom are very lazy people in general terms).

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »
200 g for someone like Jay is very low. For me at 210 and not ripped its kinda high.

See first post...I'm talking novice bodybuilders ;)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »
Let's think about this and apply some common sense:   In track & field, sprinters = muscular, marathoners = scrawny.

Sprinters train HIIT, marathoners train steady-state, longer time period.

Any questions?
Ron: "I am lazy."

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
You won't lose muscle if you are eating enough calories and protein. 

But the problem is eating enough to keep your muscle from the HI, while keeping them low enough to lose fat, while having enough carbs to perform the HI, while having mod to low enough carbs to target body fat. To many variables when it could be much easier to do it moderate intensity.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Let's think about this and apply some common sense:   In track & field, sprinters = muscular, marathoners = scrawny.

Any questions?

Quite possibly the dumbest comparison I have ever heard in my entire life.

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »
See first post...I'm talking novice bodybuilders ;)

Thats why I used myself in the comparison. I'm for sure not Jay Cutler.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »
"calories" is a pretty generic term....calories from where? carbs?

Burning stored fat is the objective...which you never get to when you're burning nothing but carbs, never getting to the fat....like all the fat chicks you see TEACHING aerobic classes....awesome cardiovascular, but cant get trim

Come on Bob, you know many of those chicks are hitting up McDonald's as a post-workout reward!  It's well-known that someone can be fit and carry unsightly body fat.  

You still haven't answered my question - do you know any bodybuilders who have really committed to HIT cardio?

I remember reading a M&F article with Eddie Robinson talking about how he liked to do interval training on a heavy bag as cardio for cutting up pre-contest.  He knew getting his heart rate up high was key to burning fat.  

I don't understand why so many people still think you have to be a drone on the cardio machine...paying careful attention to not over-exert at the risk of "burning muscle."  WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT!  If you are eating calories and plenty of protein, you aren't going to have a problem.  

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN: PEOPLE AVOID HIT CARDIO BECAUSE THEY ARE SCARED OF WORKING VERY HARD!  It's much easier to just walk at 3.0 mph on the treadmill for 2 hours a day.  

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »

Any questions?

Here is some common sense:

Sprinters are naturally muscular/ fast, thats why they are sprinters  faster metabolisms are prone to not carrying a whole lot of fat...less to do with training and more to do with genetic disposition

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »

In the 80's there was a diet going around my gym(state level) that was 2oz of plain pasta and 5oz of plain chicken 7 times a day(every 2 hours) and everyone who followed this thing was ripped to shreds(under 6%) as long as they didn't cheat...This thing was almost 300 grams of carbs

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »

Sprinters are naturally muscular/ fast, thats why they are sprinters  faster metabolisms are prone to not carrying a whole lot of fat...less to do with training and more to do with genetic disposition

Generally sprinters were high level athletes with fantastic genetics.

Marathon runners were the scrawny losers who got stuffed into lockers.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »

That's a good counter point.  However, wouldn't you say the particular style of training accentuates the individual's set of genetics?  I'm naturally muscular at 185 lbs, but if I start running 10-15 miles a day, I'll shrink down and take on completely different look.  If I start eating more and lifting max weight, I'll go up over 200 lbs within a couple of months.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:52 PM »
Come on Bob, you know many of those chicks are hitting up McDonald's as a post-workout reward!  It's well-known that someone can be fit and carry unsightly body fat.  

You still haven't answered my question - do you know any bodybuilders who have really committed to HIT cardio?

I remember reading a M&F article with Eddie Robinson talking about how he liked to do interval training on a heavy bag as cardio for cutting up pre-contest.  He knew getting his heart rate up high was key to burning fat.  

I don't understand why so many people still think you have to be a drone on the cardio machine...paying careful attention to not over-exert at the risk of "burning muscle."  WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT!  If you are eating calories and plenty of protein, you aren't going to have a problem.  

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN: PEOPLE AVOID HIT CARDIO BECAUSE THEY ARE SCARED OF WORKING VERY HARD!  It's much easier to just walk at 3.0 mph on the treadmill for 2 hours a day.  

I've known plenty of people who have used HIT to prepare for a show...every one of them looked like shit on stage.

Wrong tool for the job

Try it sometime....trust me....I would have GLADLY traded doing 1/3 of the time doing a more intense cardio If it worked....

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
ill never do high intensity cardio because i like lifting weights and big muscles... i do not like sprinting or running....and i can get lean fast enough with out doing them... i like bodyBUILDING...not bodyMAKINGSMALLER... and not track and field....  

The Coach

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 09:52:36 PM »
There is no reason what so ever to not do HIIT for bodybuilding.

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 09:54:02 PM »
i'm still debating my training partner. He likes running outside and I like ellipticals/bikes trad bb style and he is convinced that he will be more in shape and hold all his size or lack thereof by the summer's end. He's also a vegetarian.  ;D

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 09:54:18 PM »

In terms of intensity, areobic classes are far more like your hour on the treadmill than they are proper high-intensity interval training.  Most people in "aerobic classes" would pass out trying to do HIIT. 
Ron: "I am lazy."

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 09:54:51 PM »
I've known plenty of people who have used HIT to prepare for a show...every one of them looked like shit on stage.

Wrong tool for the job

Try it sometime....trust me....I would have GLADLY traded doing 1/3 of the time doing a more intense cardio If it worked....

Did these individuals really have the genetics to be a good bodybuilder in the first place?  Did you think HIT was solely the reason for them looking like shit or did it have to do with the fact they might not have been a very good bodybuilder anyway?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

No offense Coach but I think I will take the advice of the guy who has been on the Olympia stage rather than the guy with 4 divorces who lies about hanging out with the USC coaches and who never made it past the local level bodybuilding-wise.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »

Sure there is....it's called  keeping as much muscle on your frame as possible