Author Topic: Why no High Intensity Cardio for State Level Bodybuilders  (Read 6948 times)

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
Why no High Intensity Cardio for State Level Bodybuilders
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:48:54 PM »
Lets face it, most Olympic 100meter to 200 meter runners would smoke most state level bodybuilders if they decided to step on stage...Short High Intensity cardio obviously works...Why don't you hear about it in the novice to lower level bodybuilders who have other things going on in their lives who don't have the time for 2 hrs of low intensity cardio? Are these people really that insecure that they believe it will take too much muscle away from their precise 175 pound body?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: Why no High Intensity Cardio for State Level Bodybuilders
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »
Smoke em doing what....running?

There aint a "running round" at a BB show....

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »

bob i saw u panting and wheezing after getting off the tread in your war 4 world video...what would u do if u had to run to save your life or save a loved one...u should try to drop some weight and increase cardio...arnold and lou ferringno jogged
w

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »
Lets face it, most Olympic 100meter to 200 meter runners would smoke most state level bodybuilders if they decided to step on stage...Short High Intensity cardio obviously works...Why don't you hear about it in the novice to lower level bodybuilders who have other things going on in their lives who don't have the time for 2 hrs of low intensity cardio? Are these people really that insecure that they believe it will take too much muscle away from their precise 175 pound body?

The people with the best potential for competitive bodybuilding are already in other professional sports like football, track and field, etc.  They already have incredible bodies and don't have the desire to build them up to what we see on the IFBB stages.  

In my opinion, the best genetically gifted bodies in the world are the guys who never take up the sport in the first place.  Insecurity and lack of a better path are what precipitates an individual entering the sport of bodybuilding.  

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:06:53 PM »

These guys doing sprints aren't lifting a ton of weights yet hold onto more muscle then 90% of state level bodybuilders with less drugs...Sure they are genetic freaks....But let me ask you this Chick...Have you ever done high intensity cardio instead of long low intensity cardio...

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:07:40 PM »
High intensity cardio works but its only added benefit is saving time IMO. I'd rather do an extra boring 20mins at mod intensity than drain my energy and burn carbs that I should be saving for the weights. It all depends on what type of body you want in the end be it bb to the fitness look to the marathon runner.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »
High intensity cardio works but its only added benefit is saving time IMO. I'd rather do an extra boring 20mins at mod intensity than drain my energy and burn carbs that I should be saving for the weights. It all depends on what type of body you want in the end be it bb to the fitness look to the marathon runner.

Thats my question really...Most bodybuilders would never do high intensity cardio....However if we are to look at speed skaters(ice) these guys quads would blow away 99% of all state level bodybuilders...Is there something to be learned there?

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:16:11 PM »

The biggest reason why bodybuilders don't do HIT cardio is because its very hard.  Many bodybuilders don't like working hard enough to get their heart rate up in the 170-180s.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »

These guys doing sprints aren't lifting a ton of weights yet hold onto more muscle then 90% of state level bodybuilders with less drugs...Sure they are genetic freaks....But let me ask you this Chick...Have you ever done high intensity cardio instead of long low intensity cardio...

High intensity cardio doesn't work very well for BBers....if you put one of those guys on stage against decent BBers, they would look like beanpoles....I suggest you check out one of the many spreads they have had in M&F over the years when they feature a track athlete, etc

Two different worlds

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
High intensity cardio doesn't work very well for BBers....if you put one of those guys on stage against decent BBers, they would look like beanpoles....I suggest you check out one of the many spreads they have had in M&F over the years when they feature a track athlete, etc

Two different worlds

Bob, do you honestly know very many bodybuilders who have even tried HIT cardio?  I don't think many people like exerting themselves to the extent HIT cardio requires.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:38 PM »

Two different worlds

You do understand that I was talking about State level bodybuilders...There are states outside of Cali :D By the way, Ron Harris is considered a high placing STATE Level bodybuilder(new Englands)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:20:21 PM »
Thats my question really...Most bodybuilders would never do high intensity cardio....However if we are to look at speed skaters(ice) these guys quads would blow away 99% of all state level bodybuilders...Is there something to be learned there?

::)

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »

Two different worlds

This goes without saying.  I can't believe some of these people think you can compare apples with oranges; life must be awfully confusing!

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:03 PM »
::)

And I won't even get into the guys quads who ride bicycle's ;)

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 09:25:08 PM »

I don't know but its pretty much in stone that the top guys don't do it.  If the low level guys wanna come up then why should they do the opposite?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »
And I won't even get into the guys quads who ride bicycle's ;)

:D  8)  :)

* Polychronopolous nods knowingly *

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
I don't know but its pretty much in stone that the top guys don't do it.  If the low level guys wanna come up then why should they do the opposite?

because the top guys say they do 2 hours a day of cardio...If a guy who works 50 to 60 hours a week can get away with doing HIT type cardio for 40 minutes and get the same results, why on earth wouldn't he do that considering time means everything?

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 09:29:42 PM »
because the top guys say they do 2 hours a day of cardio...If a guy who works 50 to 60 hours a week can get away with doing HIT type cardio for 40 minutes and get the same results, why on earth wouldn't he do that considering time means everything?

You're on to something, my friend...

Bodybuilders = sheep.  Most people just get in line and do whatever everyone else is doing.  HIT cardio works great; most people just don't have the cojones to deal with the "sting" of it.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 09:31:17 PM »

Simple...because doing high int burns CARBS...low intensity burns FAT.  When on a low carb diet, the last thing you want to be doing is burning up what little carbs/ glycogen you have stored.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »
Simple...because doing high int burns CARBS...low intensity burns FAT.  When on a low carb diet, the last thing you want to be doing is burning up what little carbs/ glycogen you have stored.

Haven't there been many people that have used over 200 grams of carbs a day precontest and still gotten under 6%?

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »
The final word....

and he's 100 % right

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »

Whats the point of saving time if you lose muscle (especially noticable on a state level bb) and place low in your show? I've worked a 50 hr week and if you wanna get the cardio done you'll make time. Join a 24 hr fitness. 2hrs is really an extreme that most pros who don't blow up like balloons don't have to do accept maybe a few times closer to the show. Dexter just started doing cardio like 20-45 mins a day and he's peeled every time.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »
You're on to something, my friend...

Bodybuilders = sheep.  Most people just get in line and do whatever everyone else is doing.  HIT cardio works great; most people just don't have the cojones to deal with the "sting" of it.

I think you may be right...Most that I know look into the mirror and think they are small...If someone told them to do HIT cardio, they would say " my legs are going to look like sticks"...I have no clue about HIT cardio and haven't really done it...Just asking the question though...

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 09:37:06 PM »
Whats the point of saving time if you lose muscle (especially noticable on a state level bb) and place low in your show? I've worked a 50 hr week and if you wanna get the cardio done you'll make time. Join a 24 hr fitness. 2hrs is really an extreme that most pros who don't blow up like balloons don't have to do accept maybe a few times closer to the show. Dexter just started doing cardio like 20-45 mins a day and he's peeled every time.

Have you ever done HIT cardio? And who says you lose muscle?

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »

There's also a little thing called heart rate...the higher it goes, the more calories are burned.  After HIT cardio, a person's heart rate stays elevated for quite some time...accelerating fat loss.

Bob, I think the main reason why most bodybuilders don't do HIT cardio is because it requires a ton of energy and isn't easy.