Author Topic: Obama revelling in U.S. power unseen in decades  (Read 2388 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Obama revelling in U.S. power unseen in decades
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:20:01 AM »

Fri May 1, 2009
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Barack Obama is revelling in presidential power and influence unseen in Washington for decades.

Barely 100 days in office, the U.S. president and his Democratic Party have firm control over the White House and Congress and the ability to push through ambitious plans.

Now, with the coming retirement of a Supreme Court justice clearing the way for him to appoint a successor, Obama already is assured a legacy at the top of all three branches of government -- executive, legislative and judicial.

On the corporate front, the federal government's pumping of billions of dollars in bailout money into banks and auto companies has given Obama the power to force an overhaul in those industries, a remarkable intervention in capitalist industries by the state.

Americans are giving him leeway as well. His job approval ratings are well over 60 percent, giving him political capital to undertake big challenges.

His political opponents, the Republicans, are in disarray, reduced in numbers and engaged in an internal struggle over how to recover from devastating election losses in 2006 and last year.

Experts speak of Obama in the same league as such transformational presidents as Democrat Franklin Roosevelt, who led the United States through the Great Depression and World War Two, and Republican Ronald Reagan, who led the country to victory in the Cold War.

"I cannot in my memory remember a time when a president of the United States has had more influence," said Democratic strategist Doug Schoen, who worked in the Clinton White House.

big man

• Getbig III
Re: Obama revelling in U.S. power unseen in decades
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:11:51 AM »
I think he's doing good. My opinion

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 04:32:41 AM »

::)  You mean he's going a good job, doing well or doing "good" as in doing good deeds?  LMAO!

If you think he's  doing WELL.....you're an idiot.  He's pretty much bankrupted this fucking country.  And his political objectives like mandatory youth service, etc. are fucking scary.  We are America not fucking Europe.  If Americans want this country to be ran like Europe they should move the fuck out and go over to the EU. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 04:38:11 AM »
::)  You mean he's going a good job, doing well or doing "good" as in doing good deeds?  LMAO!

If you think he's  doing WELL.....you're an idiot.  He's pretty much bankrupted this fucking country.  And his political objectives like mandatory youth service, etc. are fucking scary.  We are America not fucking Europe.  If Americans want this country to be ran like Europe they should move the fuck out and go over to the EU. 
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 05:55:34 AM »

On the corporate front, the federal government's pumping of billions of dollars in bailout money into banks and auto companies has given Obama the power to force an overhaul in those industries, a remarkable intervention in capitalist industries by the state

There is another name for this.  Its called Fascism. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 06:22:12 AM »
The problem is that our standards and expectation are so low after having GW that as long as Obama doesnt drool on himself, the country approves of him.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 06:25:38 AM »
The problem is that our standards and expectation are so low after having GW that as long as Obama doesnt drool on himself, the country approves of him.

GWB destroyed the republican party and now we have to endure a Kenyan mussolini as a result.

What he is doing is by definition Fascism.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 06:29:58 AM »

On the corporate front, the federal government's pumping of billions of dollars in bailout money into banks and auto companies has given Obama the power to force an overhaul in those industries, a remarkable intervention in capitalist industries by the state

3333, serious question.  draw us a realistic picture of what happens with no bailouts, no stimulus?  be as honest with your opinion as you can.  No I'm not siding with these things by asking the question.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 06:35:26 AM »
3333, serious question.  draw us a realistic picture of what happens with no bailouts, no stimulus?  be as honest with your opinion as you can.  No I'm not siding with these things by asking the question.

I will answer for him.  Things will suck for a year, maybe two.  Banks will go under(a few, not all), some businesses will fail, but life will go on.  Look at the Depression of the early twenties, the government did nothing, and it sucked for a year, but it worked itself out. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »

We probably would have a huge mess worse than we have now.  

However, things would be over sooner than they will now because we are saddling ourselves now with debt for future generations that will require massive tax increases.

Additionally, the entitlement costs that are comin in the next few years are not funded either.  

The problem as i see it, particularly with cars, is that the companies simply cannot make a profit no matter how many cars they sell.  The static and core costs are so high that it is a terrible business model.

Whether it be the unions or the legacy costs, the auto industry is dead and we should not continue to throw taxpayer money down a rat hole unless they are willing to completely remake that industry.  What the govt is doing is the worst of both worlds.  They are giving the UAW 55% ownerahip and are about to impose even stricter rules on emissions, etc.

This is pure insanity.  People will buy cars that they believe is worth their $$$$, not what the govt dictates that they buy.  

This just rewards bad economic behavior.  

We are supposed to learn from our mistakes, not keep them going with even bigger bandaids every time what we are doing fails..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 06:41:06 AM »
Another thing, the govt is devaluing the dollar by printing all this money with nothing bakcing it up.  We are going to have massive inflation down the road.

Right now, these bailouts are rewarding gamblers, incompetents, thieves, crooks, union bums, govt agencies, etc.

We need to promte and encourage responsible and profitable enterprise, not failure.

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 06:54:24 AM »

but he pledged not to do it  ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 06:57:19 AM »
We probably would have a huge mess worse than we have now.  

However, things would be over sooner than they will now because we are saddling ourselves now with debt for future generations that will require massive tax increases.

Additionally, the entitlement costs that are comin in the next few years are not funded either.  

The problem as i see it, particularly with cars, is that the companies simply cannot make a profit no matter how many cars they sell.  The static and core costs are so high that it is a terrible business model.

Whether it be the unions or the legacy costs, the auto industry is dead and we should not continue to throw taxpayer money down a rat hole unless they are willing to completely remake that industry.  What the govt is doing is the worst of both worlds.  They are giving the UAW 55% ownerahip and are about to impose even stricter rules on emissions, etc.

This is pure insanity.  People will buy cars that they believe is worth their $$$$, not what the govt dictates that they buy.  

This just rewards bad economic behavior.  

We are supposed to learn from our mistakes, not keep them going with even bigger bandaids every time what we are doing fails..

Is there another angle we're not seeing here?  Another intention nobody is seeing?  These big guys being handed insane bucks.  The credit flow didn't really free up that much.  These mass of money just printed up doesn't seem to be flowing.  Is there a nwo theme to be found in this?  The plan perhaps that the money flow into other countries in loans.  A major step toward a super dollar controled world economy?  I know this sounds silly considering many things.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »
Is there another angle we're not seeing here?  Another intention nobody is seeing?  These big guys being handed insane bucks.  The credit flow didn't really free up that much.  These mass of money just printed up doesn't seem to be flowing.  Is there a nwo theme to be found in this?  The plan perhaps that the money flow into other countries in loans.  A major step toward a super dollar controled world economy?  I know this sounds silly considering many things.

I would not be surprised at anything right now. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »
Another deluded article....posted by obamabots.

President Obama is just average.

At least by the standard of approval ratings.

Though Obama's job approval score is strong and has been since he took office, historical polling data shows Obama's popularity during his first 100 days is right in the middle of the scores other new presidents received from the public over the past 60 years.

Obama's 63 percent average, according to a study released by Gallup last month, is the highest for a new president since Jimmy Carter (he clocked in at 69 percent during his first 100 days).

But John F. Kennedy bested Obama by more than 10 points, with 74 percent. Dwight Eisenhower enjoyed a 71 percent rating early on.

Even Richard Nixon averaged a 62 percent approval rating, just 1 point shy of Obama's.

Overall, Obama's average for the first three months matched the historical average of 63 percent for presidents since Eisenhower.

When you include presidents who took the oath mid-term -- after the death or resignation of a president -- Obama's 63 percent looks paltry.

Harry Truman enjoyed 87 percent approval, while Lyndon Johnson enjoyed 76 percent.

Obama might have benefited, too, from the unpopularity of his predecessor.

Even after the contested 2000 election, though, George W. Bush averaged 58 percent in his first 100 days, according to the study.

Ronald Reagan averaged 60 percent, George H.W. Bush averaged 57 percent and Bill Clinton averaged 55
L

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »

I think he's doing a good job and I'm not an idiot for thinking so. Banks, GM, war and housing has been a huge concern and I think he is doing his best to address the problem. He's not a wizard. He can't wave a wand and it be fixed. Say what you want but Obama is on his J.O.B 24/7. You can't deny that. Unlike our former war/vacationing president of the past.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
The dollar hasn't collapsed.
The DOW is still over 8000.
We haven't been attacked.
The sky hasn't fallen.
Ayers and Wright aren't playing golf on the White house lawn.
America is more popular in the world's eyes.
Americans are more optimistic than at any time in the last 5 years, and people with hope spend, which revives the economy.

102 days in.  Not a lot has changed.  That's a good thing, considering the slide we saw in late 2008.  it's cyclical.  There will probably be a recession at the end of Obama's 4 or 8 years. We saw it with Bush1.  We saw it with clinton.  We saw it with Bush.  No clue what 1979/80 was like, but probably a small recession then too?

Obama hasn't broken anything.  Borrowed a lot of $, but hey, we have missiles on everyone's asses in the world.  We're not going anywhere. 

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »

What a classic post...  Hey smart guy, did you know Europe isnt a country?  LOL