Author Topic: Girls rule!  (Read 11084 times)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Girls rule!
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
x2

Thank you very much, same to you two x3!
S

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »
so..any morally casual chicks roaming around tonight?

;) ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 06:37:46 AM »
Sharing the Nobel Prize in Chemistry (with Dr. Ramakrishnan & Dr. Steitz) is Dr. Ada E. Yonath (right) for her work on how information encoded on strands of DNA is translated by the chemical complexes known as ribosomes into the thousands of proteins that make up living matter.  Yonath earned her Ph.D. from the Weizmann Institute in 1968. http://www.weizmann.ac.il/chemistry/

You go girl! ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 06:20:13 AM »
Herta Muller wins Nobel Prize in Literature

An ethnic German born in Romania, writer Herta Müller has won the 2009 Nobel Prize in Literature. The 56 year old, who emigrated to Germany in 1987, has made the trials of living under Ceauşescu's dictatorship a focus of her work.

In its citation, the Nobel committee wrote that Müller, "with the concentration of poetry and the frankness of prose, depicts the landscape of the dispossessed...."

You go girl! :D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 05:46:30 AM »
Two Americans Share Nobel in Economics
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

The Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science was awarded on Monday to two Americans for their work in economic governance.

The prize committee cited Elinor Ostrom of Indiana University “for her analysis of economic governance, especially the commons” and Oliver E. Williamson of the University of California, Berkeley “for his analysis of economic governance, especially the boundaries of the firm.”

Ms. Ostrom becomes the first woman to win the prize for economics.

Her work demonstrated “how common property can be successfully managed by user associations,” the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said at a news conference on Monday in Stockholm. And Mr. Williamson has “developed a theory where business firms serve as structures for conflict resolution.”

Ms. Ostrom, who was born in 1933 in Los Angeles, is Arthur F. Bentley Professor of Political Science and Professor at the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University, Bloomington. She received her Ph.D. in political science in 1965 from the University of California, Los Angeles.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 10:41:08 AM »
These women are beautiful, and intelligent, truly a double threat.

:-X
S

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 12:56:49 PM »
These women are beautiful, and intelligent, truly a double threat.

:-X

I dont really know what to do with my life.  I love to argue, and if I could make up my mind and set a goal I  would reach it.

You are a Tom in the making.  ::)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=281208.0  :'(

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »

You are a Tom in the making.  ::)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=281208.0  :'(

:'(

Why are you so offended by our comments?  We're all joking around.  

Living a homosexual lifestyle, (probably repressed half your life) you've been programed to stay on the defensive, that's a shame.  :'(

S

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
:'(

Why are you so offended by our comments?  We're all joking around.  

Living a homosexual lifestyle, (probably repressed half your life) you've been programed to stay on the defensive, that's a shame.  :'(

I'm laughing too...  at you.  :D

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 05:40:07 PM »
I'm laughing to...  at you.  :D

Glad I could bring some sunshine into your life.  :)

(no homo)
S

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 07:53:06 AM »
How Oscar Found Ms. Right

KATHRYN BIGELOW’S two-fisted win at the Academy Awards for best director and best film for “The Hurt Locker” didn’t just punch through the American movie industry’s seemingly shatterproof glass ceiling; it has also helped dismantle stereotypes about what types of films women can and should direct. It was historic, exhilarating, especially for women who make movies and women who watch movies, two groups that have been routinely ignored and underserved by an industry in which most films star men and are made for and by men. It’s too early to know if this moment will be transformative — but damn, it feels so good.

No matter if they’re a source of loathing and laughter, the Oscars matter as a cultural flashpoint, perhaps now more than ever. All those Oscar viewers might not be ticket buyers, but when they watched the show this year they would have heard, perhaps even for the first time, the startling, shocking, infuriating or uninteresting news — pick your degree of engagement — that Ms. Bigelow was the first woman in Oscar’s 82 years to win for best directing. Real discussions about sexual politics don’t usually enter the equation during the interminable Oscar “season,” which is why her nomination was almost as important as her double win...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/movies/14dargis.html?hp

newmom

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 08:15:50 AM »
and she beat out her ex hubby James Cameron

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »
and she beat out her ex hubby James Cameron

A few years ago the Academy changed their guidelines for presenters from saying “And the winner is…” to “And the Oscar goes to…” 

The idea was that declaring a “winner” suggested that others were “losers.”  Once you are nominated for an Oscar you are not a “loser.”  I think it was a good change.  I didn’t watch the ceremony last year, but this year I did, and I noticed that presenters have gone back to saying “And the winner is…”  Bigalow’s Oscar nod is great, but I don’t think she “beat out” the other nominees.  Does anyone in his right mind think that Sandra Bullock is a better actress than Meryl Streep?  Did Sandra “beat” Meryl?  Hell no, but she got an Oscar nod.  Yeah!

As an idiom, it is convenient to say someone “won” an Oscar, but they didn’t do it by “beating” anyone else.  :)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Personlayy there isn't a huge pool of female directors to choose one.  It was inevitable that one would win considering our time of "change."  As for the way they annouce the recipient, well they won oters lost, plain and simple.  Sandra got it probably becuase it will be her only chance to ever get one. Whereas streep has been around the block.  I am not taking anything away from Hurt locker it was a very good movie. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 07:43:13 AM »
Will this girl continue to rule??

UC Davis chief launches probe into pepper-spraying of Occupy protesters
Video of the events goes viral on the Web. The chancellor initially didn't criticize police but later said seeing the images 'left me with a very bad feeling.' Some faculty members seek her ouster.
By Paul Pringle and Sam Quinones, Los Angeles Times

As some faculty members called for her ouster, the chancellor of UC Davis launched an inquiry Saturday into the pepper-spraying of apparently peaceful Occupy Davis protesters by campus police.

A video of the Friday incident that went viral on the Web showed a police officer dousing the protesters with a canister of pepper spray as they sat huddled on the ground. The police had been attempting to clear the university's Quad of tents and campers.

Faculty and students reacted with outrage. Nathan Brown, an assistant professor of English, said in an interview that the episode was the latest example of "the systematic use by UC chancellors of police brutality" to suppress protests.

In an open letter, he wrote: "Without any provocation whatsoever, other than the bodies of these students sitting where they were on the ground, with their arms linked, police pepper-sprayed students. Students remained on the ground, now writhing in pain, with their arms linked."

Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi initially did not criticize the police, but she said Saturday that she had since watched the video and reviewed more accounts from the scene.

"It left me with a very bad feeling of what went on," Katehi said in a telephone interview. "There was enough information to show that we need to take a serious look at what happened."

She said she authorized police to remove the tents, but not to use the pepper spray in the manner shown on the video. "Absolutely not," she said.

In a statement announcing the formation of a task force to investigate the matter, Katehi said Friday "was not a day that would make anyone on our campus proud."

"The use of pepper spray as shown on the video is chilling to us all and raises many questions about how best to handle situations like this."

At a news conference Saturday, UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza said the decision to use pepper spray was made at the scene.

"The students had encircled the officers," she said. "They needed to exit. They were looking to leave but were unable to get out."

Geoffrey Wildanger, a graduate student in art history, said he was sprayed "in my ears and my nose. It hurts a lot. You feel like your whole body is on fire."

He said the police overreacted. "The cops weren't threatened in any way."

Two students were treated at a hospital and released, and several others were arrested, officials said.

The Davis Faculty Assn. issued a letter Saturday demanding that Katehi step down. "The Chancellor's role is to enable open and free inquiry, not to suppress it," the association wrote, calling Katehi's approval of police force to remove the Occupy Davis tents a "gross failure of leadership."

The board of the statewide Council of UC Faculty Associations agreed, saying in a statement Saturday that "police violence" has been employed against protesters at UCLA, UC Berkeley and Cal State Long Beach.

Board member Mark LeVine, a UC Irvine history professor, said the Davis incident left him "shocked, almost speechless. It looked like a fire-extinguisher-size can of mace sprayed into the face of peaceful students."

Meanwhile, in San Francisco, Occupy protesters and police seemed to reach a detente Saturday that allowed at least 100 tents to remain on the streets. To avoid an immediate eviction, protesters agreed to thin their ranks and keep the encampments clean. Police and public works employees did clear out some tents on Market Street and along the Embarcadero.