Author Topic: Girls rule!  (Read 11136 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Girls rule!
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »
2 women nominated as University of California chancellors
Susan Desmond-Hellmann, a noted cancer researcher, would head the San Francisco campus. Linda Katehi, a veteran academic administrator, would head the Davis campus.

Two women, one a noted cancer researcher and the other an electrical engineering expert and veteran academic administrator, were nominated Friday to become chancellors at UC San Francisco and UC Davis, respectively.

Currently, only one woman, Marye Anne Fox at UC San Diego, heads any of the system's 10 campuses.

Susan Desmond-Hellmann, 51, who recently headed product development at the biomedical firm Genentech, was named to be the next chancellor at UC San Francisco, which is a medical research school.

Desmond-Hellmann, who earned a medical degree at the University of Nevada, worked on AIDS and cancer-related research in Africa and has taught on hematology-oncology at UC San Francisco. She would replace J. Michael Bishop, who is stepping down after 10 years as chancellor.

Nominated to lead UC Davis was Linda Katehi, 55, who has served as provost of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign since 2006.

Katehi, who earned a doctorate in electrical engineering at UCLA, taught at the University of Michigan and Purdue University, where she was the engineering dean. She would replace Larry Vanderhoef, who will have served 15 years as chancellor.

UC President Mark G. Yudof is scheduled to bring their nominations to the Board of Regents for approval next week for terms that would begin this summer.

Because of concerns about possibly overburdening UC San Diego's security and medical resources during the swine flu outbreak, however, the regents Friday dropped plans to meet over three days next week at that campus and instead will meet Thursday via telephone conference and at several other locations throughout the state.

UC officials said the regents meeting might have interfered with UC San Diego's health and police efforts to help manage the flu alerts. They denied that the regents are trying to avoid student protesters, who are expected to turn out to oppose a 9.3% student fee increase up for a vote Thursday.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Girls rule!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »
man i coulda tore this one a new pooper had this been on the general....

lets just leave it at...them 2 had LOTS n LOTS of free time to study! :D
carpe` vaginum!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »
man i coulda tore this one a new pooper had this been on the general....

lets just leave it at...them 2 had LOTS n LOTS of free time to study! :D

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Free of social distractions, I suppose.
~

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »
when will they find hot smart chicks?  Then attendence would go up at these places

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 05:07:23 PM »

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Free of social distractions, I suppose.

Andy hits it out of the ball park at GO!

<encore>
carpe` vaginum!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 05:17:27 PM »
Andy hits it out of the ball park at GO!

<encore>

It was all in the flawless set-up. 
~

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 05:19:13 PM »
It was all in the flawless set-up. 

reacharound!

....i liketh
carpe` vaginum!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:35:53 AM »
Molecular biologist Elizabeth H. Blackburn, PhD, 60, of the University of California, San Francisco, today was named to receive the 2009 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

Blackburn shares the award with Carol W. Greider of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Jack W. Szostak of Harvard Medical School.

The scientists discovered an enzyme that plays a key role in normal cell function, as well as in cell aging and most cancers. The enzyme is called telomerase and it produces tiny units of DNA that seal off the ends of chromosomes, which contain the body’s genes. These DNA units – named telomeres – protect the integrity of the genes and maintain chromosomal stability and accurate cell division. They also determine the number of times a cell divides—and thus determine the lifespan of cells.

Telomerase is pronounced (tel-AH-mer-AZE). Telomere is pronounced (TEEL-oh-mere).

The scientists’ research sparked a whole field of inquiry into the possibility that telomerase could be reactivated to treat such age-related diseases as blindness, cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative diseases, and deactivated to treat cancer, in which it generally is overactive...

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »
Molecular biologist Elizabeth H. Blackburn, PhD, 60, of the University of California, San Francisco, today was named to receive the 2009 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

Blackburn shares the award with Carol W. Greider of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Jack W. Szostak of Harvard Medical School.

The scientists discovered an enzyme that plays a key role in normal cell function, as well as in cell aging and most cancers. The enzyme is called telomerase and it produces tiny units of DNA that seal off the ends of chromosomes, which contain the body’s genes. These DNA units – named telomeres – protect the integrity of the genes and maintain chromosomal stability and accurate cell division. They also determine the number of times a cell divides—and thus determine the lifespan of cells.

Telomerase is pronounced (tel-AH-mer-AZE). Telomere is pronounced (TEEL-oh-mere).

The scientists’ research sparked a whole field of inquiry into the possibility that telomerase could be reactivated to treat such age-related diseases as blindness, cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative diseases, and deactivated to treat cancer, in which it generally is overactive...

All fine and good, but can she make a decent lasagne? 

~

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 05:27:52 PM »
probably not, but she could tell you the molecular chain of the mozzarella cheese you used. 

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 02:06:39 AM »

Table for one, please.
~

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 05:51:14 AM »
S

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 07:36:52 AM »
lol  ;D

I dont really know what to do with my life.  I love to argue, and if I could make up my mind and set a goal I  would reach it.

She is a brilliant scientist and respected the world over by her peers.  You are an internet wannabe still trying to figure out what to do with his life.  ::)

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 08:55:02 AM »
She is a brilliant scientist and respected the world over by her peers.  You are an internet wannabe still trying to figure out what to do with his life.  ::)

but he can get  date while she eats chinese out of a box

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »
but he can get  date while she eats chinese out of a box

Somehow I think she is having the last laugh (and not eating chinese out of a box in the foreseeable future). Given a choice, between RPF and Blackburn, most people wouldn't take long to decide whom they would rather trade places with.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 09:19:46 AM »

All I did was lol....

:(
S

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »
RPF all the way!

lol

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 09:45:28 AM »
RPF all the way!

lol

I'm a young, good looking, straight male, building my savings like a maniac.

Screw this life, I want to be that girl!  :)
S

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:36 AM »
I'm a young, good looking, straight male, building my savings like a maniac.

Screw this life, I want to be that girl!  :)

traitor!

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
S

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:56 AM »
Confuser!

lol

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »
Nobel Laureate in Medicine Wins Acclaim Despite Past Political Skirmishes

For one of today's winners of the Nobel Prize in Medicine, Elizabeth H. Blackburn of the University of California at San Francisco, the news isn't her first exposure to widespread public attention.

Back in 2004, during the Bush administration, Ms. Blackburn was one of two scientists dismissed from the President's Council on Bioethics, after they dissented from the panel by arguing that the federal government should not bar scientists from creating cloned embryos as a source of stem cells for medical research.

Today, along with two other American researchers—Carol W. Greider of the Johns Hopkins University, and Jack W. Szostak of the Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital—she won the 2009 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their discovery, in the 1980s, of how chromosomes are duplicated during cell division and how telomeres—the caps at the ends of chromosome strands—prevent the copying from being degraded.

After her appointment to the President's Council on Bioethics, and her subsequent removal, Ms. Blackburn co-authored articles in PLoS Biology and The New England Journal of Medicine accusing the council of deliberately misrepresenting the nature of research on human aging and stem cells.

Even those who questioned her political stance in 2004, however, say there's no reason to doubt her scientific accomplishment. John H. Evans, an associate professor of sociology at the University of California at San Diego who writes about the relationship between science and society, said Ms. Blackburn's experience with the council merely made her an example of the much wider dispute between the Bush administration and the defenders of "institutional science."

The Bush administration was not repressing science, as Ms. Blackburn suggested in her New England Journal of Medicine article, Mr. Evans said, but merely suggesting that exploration could have limits based on political values. And either way, he said, she no doubt deserves the Nobel.

Last year she was one of the first women to win the $500,000 Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research, the largest award in American medicine.

William B. Hurlbut, a bioethicist and physician at the Stanford University School of Medicine who also served on the bioethics council in the Bush administration and supports limits on stem-cell research, said he agreed. "I'm inclined to think she is deserving of this honor based on the merit of her science," Dr. Hurlbut said. —Paul Basken

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM »
The Bible says two men ought not lay together. But I don't reckon the Good Lord would send anybody like you to Hades.
S

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
The Bible says two men ought not lay together. But I don't reckon the Good Lord would send anybody like you to Hades.

Mmm hmm.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »
~