Author Topic: Question for the really strong getbiggers, Ursus, NZMusclemonster, etc...  (Read 1873 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
You guys are obviously very strong and I was wondering, apart from just lifting on a regular basis, if you had to apply special lifting techniques or used special training systems to get that strong? Or was it just a case of natural progression by lifting in a normal way?
I hate the State.

The Master

• Getbig V
Ursus has done powerlifting.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Ursus has done powerlifting.

Yes, well I am interested in the answers from all the really strong getbiggers. Like NZ for example or Sevastese.
I hate the State.

The Master

• Getbig V
Yes, well I am interested in the answers from all the really strong getbiggers. Like NZ for example or Sevastese.

Debussey will stay out of this thread >:(

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

Debussey will stay out of this thread >:(

Well, if you got out of character maybe you could post some helpful tips.
I hate the State.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
what i find is cycling weights.

ie say you bench press 100kg for 5x5.

drop down to 70kg for 5x5 and gradually add weight. Say 2.5kg a workout. Eventually you will get near 100kg and it will feel easier...then you will surpass it. if you got to 102.5kg or 105 kg then thats tremendous progress. On snaller exercises make smaller jumps. Dont be afraid to strip back down. no shame in having easy and light workouts for a week or so.

I ALWAYS cycle weights at least on major exercises constantly and find gives great progress always. Patiance is necessary though.

I alwyas avoid FAILURE. and dont train to failure. I complete exercises with FULL ROM also

Another great tip is do the best exercises and get good at them. ie bench squat dead incline DB chin dip shoulder press rows.

p.s my powerlifting wa s ajoke lol and i am not that strong. much more guys stronger. However this is advice i live by and it has worked tremendously for me.

thanks for kind words tho

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

drop down to 70kg for 5x5 and gradually add weight. Say 2.5kg a workout. Eventually you will get near 100kg and it will feel easier...then you will surpass it. if you got to 102.5kg or 105 kg then thats tremendous progress. On snaller exercises make smaller jumps. Dont be afraid to strip back down. no shame in having easy and light workouts for a week or so.

I ALWAYS cycle weights at least on major exercises constantly and find gives great progress always. Patiance is necessary though.

I alwyas avoid FAILURE. and dont train to failure. I complete exercises with FULL ROM also

Another great tip is do the best exercises and get good at them. ie bench squat dead incline DB chin dip shoulder press rows.

p.s my powerlifting wa s ajoke lol and i am not that strong. much more guys stronger. However this is advice i live by and it has worked tremendously for me.

These are excellent tips. :) I wonder if I can still improve my strength whilst being on a diet? Why do you avoid training to failure?
I hate the State.

The Master

• Getbig V
These are excellent tips. :) I wonder if I can still improve my strength whilst being on a diet? Why do you avoid training to failure?

CNS taxing.

Well, if you got out of character maybe you could post some helpful tips.

Debussey = Debussey.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

CNS taxing.

Debussey = Debussey.

So you shouldn't train to failure?
I hate the State.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
yes it taxes the CNS ALOT. Debussey is right

simple anology.

standing in front of a door (plateau or weights you lift) what is teh best way to break it down. Simply keep standing on the door and banging away at it hoping eventually you will knock it down.

or

Take a back up and a long run up gathering spped and momentum as you go. yes you guessed it this way you will definately break down the door.

another example. stand at a ong jump pit. stake a standing jump see how far you get. or back up a bit take a run up then jump...who will go furthur?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
yes it taxes the CNS ALOT. Debussey is right

simple anology.

standing in front of a door (plateau or weights you lift) what is teh best way to break it down. Simply keep standing on the door and banging away at it hoping eventually you will knock it down.

or

Take a back up and a long run up gathering spped and momentum as you go. yes you guessed it this way you will definately break down the door.

another example. stand at a ong jump pit. stake a standing jump see how far you get. or back up a bit take a run up then jump...who will go furthur?

Definitely going to try some of these tips...good stuff!
I hate the State.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
back up the wieghts. seriously. having an easy week is gd fun.

look at ur days. is there too much pressing exercises for a few days in a row??

etc etc overtrianing is a bitch

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
back up the wieghts. seriously. having an easy week is gd fun.

look at ur days. is there too much pressing exercises for a few days in a row??

etc etc overtrianing is a bitch

These next few weeks I will focus on form and quality and not try to kill myself with super heavy weights.
I hate the State.

The Master

• Getbig V
These next few weeks I will focus on form and quality and not try to kill myself with super heavy weights.

Many powerlifting programs emphasizes doing bench/squats/deads 3x/week, but never going to failure, just increasing weights slowly.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

Many powerlifting programs emphasizes doing bench/squats/deads 3x/week, but never going to failure, just increasing weights slowly.

Can't squat at my gym...no squat rack or smith machine... :-\
I hate the State.

The Master

• Getbig V

That = ok.

For your hams, try glute ham raises once.  :o

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

That = ok.

For your hams, try glute ham raises once.  :o

I do stiff legged deads for hams...

My gym really sucks, pisses me off that I don't have the equipment I would like.
I hate the State.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

these are all great "advices"

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
well getbig has given me advices before so time to repay the favour

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
stick to basic exercises with free weights such as squat, deadlift, bench, push press, rows....

after a good warmup, do only a few working sets, keep the reps in the 4-8 range.

be consistent but also know when to take a week off to recover.

incorporate prehab exercises in your workout, light to no weight, up to 30 reps.

eat, eat, eat.

this may be unorthodox, but i stick to the same exercises year round, most of my workouts are similar, if you want to be good at a given lift, you need to practice it over and over, ad nauseam.  definitely throw in some supplementary exercises but do not make them the main event of your workout.

change gyms

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
stick to basic exercises with free weights such as squat, deadlift, bench, push press, rows....

after a good warmup, do only a few working sets, keep the reps in the 4-8 range.

be consistent but also know when to take a week off to recover.

incorporate prehab exercises in your workout, light to no weight, up to 30 reps.

eat, eat, eat.

this may be unorthodox, but i stick to the same exercises year round, most of my workouts are similar, if you want to be good at a given lift, you need to practice it over and over, ad nauseam.  definitely throw in some supplementary exercises but do not make them the main event of your workout.
change gyms

Can't change gyms but will take all this into consideration...
I hate the State.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Disappointed that I didnt make the list. I have good training advices.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Disappointed that I didnt make the list. I have good training advices.

Don't know you but all are welcome to contribute provided they are natural. :) I appreciate all the advice.
I hate the State.

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
Can't change gyms but will take all this into consideration...
you could do decent squats from a bench.  just set the racks high, load the bar up, sit on the bench facing the bar, slide under it and place it on your traps, stand, walk out, and start squatting.  rerack in a similar manner.  you will not be able to squat 500 lbs this way but 315 should not be a problem.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
Basic exercises. Small volume heavy weight.

For the bench I tend to go in 10kg incriments.

e.g.

week 1 - 100kg
week 2 - 110kg
week 3 - 120kg
week 4 - 130kg

I only allow myself to increase the weight 10kg if I can do 3 sets of 10 with the weight I'm doing on a particular week. If I do a 10, 10, 9 on 120 kg then I have to do the same weight the next week until I get 3 sets of ten.
Then I after I've increased from say 100kg - 130kg successfully I'll drop it back again to 110 and start the cycle again up to 140kg.

I've also found that a mid week high rep bench session has helped me greatly as well.
P