Author Topic: More protein = less testosterone?  (Read 1004 times)

WeightCoach

• Getbig I
More protein = less testosterone?
« on: May 04, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »
My brother has been doing some nutrition research and came upon  a study that suggested, and not for the first time, that higher protein intake reduces testosterone levels.  I found the article and included the link and discussion below.  I have never run across this information and certainly the folks selling protein supplements don't want to talk about it.  What do you think? 

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/conten...urcetype=HWCIT

Discussion:

The significant negative correlation between protein and resting T concentrations is consistent with the findings of Anderson et al. (2), who demonstrated that a low-protein diet (10% of total energy) was associated with higher levels of T compared with a diet higher in protein (44% of total energy). The authors postulated that it was the protein-to-carbohydrate ratio in the diet that influenced either T metabolism or the liver-derived protein sex hormone-binding globulin (2, 14). Interestingly, the protein-to-carbohydrate ratio in the present study was significantly negatively correlated with resting T concentrations. Also, the source from which the protein is derived may influence T concentrations. Raben et al. (24) compared the effects of two diets differing only in the source of protein in male athletes. Results showed a reduced resting and postexercise increase in T concentrations in athletes consuming protein derived mainly from vegetable sources compared with a diet with protein derived mainly from animal sources. Thus not only the percent energy derived from protein in the diet but also the source of protein may influence T homeostasis.

tinbeater36

• Getbig II
Re: More protein = less testosterone?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:11:32 PM »
seems like an easy solution... just add more protein and more test!    :)

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
Nevermind, forgot what section I was in... :)

WeightCoach

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 06:29:17 PM »
seems like an easy solution... just add more protein and more test!    :)

Ha! no doubt

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 08:31:43 PM »
Nevermind, forgot what section I was in... :)

;D