Author Topic: Hawaii has 3 'probable' swine flu cases, Lingle says  (Read 2104 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Hawaii has 3 'probable' swine flu cases, Lingle says
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
This should help with the mass hysteria.  Someone tried to buy surgical masks the other day at Longs and they were sold out.   ::)

Hawaii has 3 'probable' swine flu cases, Lingle says
The patients are a married couple and a child

By Star-Bulletin staff

POSTED: 03:19 p.m. HST, May 04, 2009

Hawaii has three “probable” cases of swine flu, Gov. Linda Lingle announced this afternoon.

She said samples from the three patients, all of whom have recovered, were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for confirmation. She said the state should have results by tomorrow or Wednesday.

State Department of Health officials said the three cases are all Oahu residents. They are a school-aged child who recently traveled to California, and two married adults, one of whom recently traveled to Texas and the other who became ill after exposure to the spouse. The case involving the child is unrelated to the other cases.

The child did not attend school while sick so there is no need for a school closure, said state epidemiologist Dr. Sarah Park. The school was not identified.

“We have notified the Department of Education Superintendent Pat Hamamoto so that DOE may be fully apprised,” Park added.

However, a DOE spokeswoman said the child does not attend a Hawaii public school.

State tests of the patients were positive for the H1N1 swine flu virus and were sent to the CDC for confirmation.

“Our department continues to monitor for and investigate possible cases for confirmation. Fortunately, the three probable cases awaiting confirmation had mild illness, and all have recovered at home,” said Health Director Dr. Chiyome Fukino.

Lingle said she was informed of the probable cases over the weekend.

Asked how people who were in contact with the patients are being informed, Lingle said, “The Department of Health is taking all of those sorts of steps. And I think in the case of the military person they were actually confined to their housing on the military base while it ran its course and that’s how they know that people are recovered.”

State health officials say anyone with flu-like symptoms should call a doctor and isolate themselves from other people.

For questions about the virus, residents may call (866) 767-5044, ext. 3 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. weekdays, and 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on weekends. Information is also available online at www.health.gov/health.

There are 30 states with confirmed cases of the virus, which international health officials fear will become a pandemic. Before Lingle’s announcement today, the CDC said there were 226 cases in 30 states. But a count by The Associated Press shows about 300 cases confirmed in 36 states, not including the probable Hawaii cases. The discrepancy can be attributed at least in part to a time lag in state reporting to the federal agency.

One swine flu fatality in the United States has been recorded, a toddler from Mexico City who was visiting Texas and died in a Houston hospital.

U.S. confirmed cases from the CDC or states include: New York, 90; Texas, 43; California, 29; Delaware, 20; Arizona, 18; South Carolina, 15; Illinois, nine; Colorado, Louisiana, Massachusetts and New Jersey, seven; Florida, five; Alabama and Maryland, four; Indiana, Ohio, Oregon, Virginia and Wisconsin, three; Connecticut, Kansas and Michigan, two; and one each in Nebraska, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Idaho and Utah.

Swine flu has been confirmed in 26 deaths and 727 illnesses in Mexico, the hardest hit country in the global outbreak.

It has also sickened people in Canada, Spain, Britain, Germany, New Zealand, Israel, Italy, France, El Salvador, Austria, Costa Rica, Colombia, Denmark, Hong Kong, Ireland, the Netherlands, Portugal, South Korea and Switzerland.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/bulletin/44331447.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Hawaii has 3 'probable' swine flu cases, Lingle says
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:23 AM »
i dont worry about the silly flu.

i worry about life getting interrupted by stuff closing, etc.

looks like this flu isn't that big of a deal so far.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
I agree.  We haven't had any disruptions, yet, but it can happen in an instant.  I remember a couple, three years ago someone started a rumor that an earthquake and tsumani was coming and within hours the stores were packed with people buying up stuff.  Always pays to keep extra toilet paper when living on this island. . . . 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »
in south FL, we have 3 cases here in bonita springs, and yeah... school is shut down for a week.  cinco de mayo festivals are scaled back.  mall is empty.  doc office is empty too - ppl actually are scared to catch it from someone in the waiting room.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »
U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

Updated daily.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

Updated daily.

Good site.  Thanks.  One thing that is a little scary is how fast it spread to so many different states.  If this were a deadly virus we'd have a pretty serious problem on our hands. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »
Good site.  Thanks.  One thing that is a little scary is how fast it spread to so many different states.  If this were a deadly virus we'd have a pretty serious problem on our hands. 

You are welcome!   :)

Yup, good thing it's not airborne Ebola.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »
CDC confirms three cases of flu in Islands 
Advertiser Staff

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed three cases of swine flu on Oahu involving a school-age child and a military member and his or her spouse, the state Department of Health announced this morning.

One of the adults recently traveled to Texas and exposed his or her spouse. The child recently traveled to California. Both states have confirmed cases of swine flu.

"With the confirmation of these three cases by CDC, Hawaii joins 38 or more states reporting confirmed H1N1 Influenza A or swine-origin flu activity," said Dr. Chiyome Fukino, director of the state Separtment of Health. "Our department continues to aggressively monitor for and investigate flu cases as we move into the next phase of our identification and testing of illness in the state."

Anyone experiencing flu-like symptoms, especially those who have traveled to the Mainland or Mexico, should call a doctor and isolate themselves from other people, the Department of Health said.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090505/BREAKING01/90505063/1352

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »
Maybe they should leave the pig in the ground a little longer...

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »
CDC confirms three cases of flu in Islands 
Advertiser Staff

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed three cases of swine flu on Oahu involving a school-age child and a military member and his or her spouse, the state Department of Health announced this morning.

One of the adults recently traveled to Texas and exposed his or her spouse. The child recently traveled to California. Both states have confirmed cases of swine flu.

"With the confirmation of these three cases by CDC, Hawaii joins 38 or more states reporting confirmed H1N1 Influenza A or swine-origin flu activity," said Dr. Chiyome Fukino, director of the state Separtment of Health. "Our department continues to aggressively monitor for and investigate flu cases as we move into the next phase of our identification and testing of illness in the state."

Anyone experiencing flu-like symptoms, especially those who have traveled to the Mainland or Mexico, should call a doctor and isolate themselves from other people, the Department of Health said.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090505/BREAKING01/90505063/1352

wait wtf it's here!?!  i swear viruses are going to be what kills us. they keep getting stronger.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 05:39:36 PM »
wait wtf it's here!?!  i swear viruses are going to be what kills us. they keep getting stronger.

It's here.  Be afraid . . . .   :)  I agree viruses can kill us on a mass scale, like they have in the past, but I doubt it's this one. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 06:18:47 PM »
It's here.  Be afraid . . . .   :)  I agree viruses can kill us on a mass scale, like they have in the past, but I doubt it's this one. 

may not be this one but it could be a warm up. anything about it in the bible? i can think of any refference to them

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 06:33:35 PM »
may not be this one but it could be a warm up. anything about it in the bible? i can think of any refference to them

I think there is talk about a plague in Revelation.  I guess that could come in the form of a virus?

I was talking to someone about this swine flu on Friday and he said it's not the first wave that causes the problem, it's the second, which would be in about three months or so. 

I'm still a big time cynic on this one.  The flu kills about 36,000 people a year in this country.  We have 1 confirmed death so far?   

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 07:51:17 PM »
Eric R. Pianka (born 23 January 1939) is an American biologist, best known for his contributions to herpetology and evolutionary ecology. He is nicknamed "The Lizard Man".

Saving the Earth with Ebola

Professor Pianka said the Earth as we know it will not survive without drastic measures. Then, and without presenting any data to justify this number, he asserted that the only feasible solution to saving the Earth is to reduce the population to 10 percent of the present number.

He then showed solutions for reducing the world's population in the form of a slide depicting the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. War and famine would not do, he explained. Instead, disease offered the most efficient and fastest way to kill the billions that must soon die if the population crisis is to be solved.

Pianka then displayed a slide showing rows of human skulls, one of which had red lights flashing from its eye sockets.

AIDS is not an efficient killer, he explained, because it is too slow. His favorite candidate for eliminating 90 percent of the world's population is airborne Ebola ( Ebola Reston ), because it is both highly lethal and it kills in days, instead of years. However, Professor Pianka did not mention that Ebola victims die a slow and torturous death as the virus initiates a cascade of biological calamities inside the victim that eventually liquefy the internal organs.

After praising the Ebola virus for its efficiency at killing, Pianka paused, leaned over the lectern, looked at us and carefully said, “We've got airborne 90 percent mortality in humans. Killing humans. Think about that.”

With his slide of human skulls towering on the screen behind him, Professor Pianka was deadly serious. The audience that had been applauding some of his statements now sat silent.

After a dramatic pause, Pianka returned to politics and environmentalism. But he revisited his call for mass death when he reflected on the oil situation.

“And the fossil fuels are running out,” he said, “so I think we may have to cut back to two billion, which would be about one-third as many people.” So the oil crisis alone may require eliminating two-third's of the world's population.

How soon must the mass dying begin if Earth is to be saved? Apparently fairly soon, for Pianka suggested he might be around when the killer disease goes to work. He was born in 1939, and his lengthy obituary appears on his web site.

When Pianka finished his remarks, the audience applauded. It wasn't merely a smattering of polite clapping that audiences diplomatically reserve for poor or boring speakers. It was a loud, vigorous and enthusiastic applause.

http://www.sas.org/tcs/weeklyIssues_2006/2006-04-07/feature1p/index.html

This resulted in the Federal Bureau of Investigation interviewing Pianka in Austin.

Pianka has stated that Mims took his statements out of context and that Pianka was stating what would happen from biological principles alone if present human population trends continue, and that he was not in any way advocating for it to happen. The host of the speech, the Texas Academy of Sciences, has released a statement stating that:

"Many of Dr. Pianka's statements have been severely misconstrued and sensationalized."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »
Eric R. Pianka (born 23 January 1939) is an American biologist, best known for his contributions to herpetology and evolutionary ecology. He is nicknamed "The Lizard Man".

Saving the Earth with Ebola

Professor Pianka said the Earth as we know it will not survive without drastic measures. Then, and without presenting any data to justify this number, he asserted that the only feasible solution to saving the Earth is to reduce the population to 10 percent of the present number.

He then showed solutions for reducing the world's population in the form of a slide depicting the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. War and famine would not do, he explained. Instead, disease offered the most efficient and fastest way to kill the billions that must soon die if the population crisis is to be solved.

Pianka then displayed a slide showing rows of human skulls, one of which had red lights flashing from its eye sockets.

AIDS is not an efficient killer, he explained, because it is too slow. His favorite candidate for eliminating 90 percent of the world's population is airborne Ebola ( Ebola Reston ), because it is both highly lethal and it kills in days, instead of years. However, Professor Pianka did not mention that Ebola victims die a slow and torturous death as the virus initiates a cascade of biological calamities inside the victim that eventually liquefy the internal organs.

After praising the Ebola virus for its efficiency at killing, Pianka paused, leaned over the lectern, looked at us and carefully said, “We've got airborne 90 percent mortality in humans. Killing humans. Think about that.”

With his slide of human skulls towering on the screen behind him, Professor Pianka was deadly serious. The audience that had been applauding some of his statements now sat silent.

After a dramatic pause, Pianka returned to politics and environmentalism. But he revisited his call for mass death when he reflected on the oil situation.

“And the fossil fuels are running out,” he said, “so I think we may have to cut back to two billion, which would be about one-third as many people.” So the oil crisis alone may require eliminating two-third's of the world's population.

How soon must the mass dying begin if Earth is to be saved? Apparently fairly soon, for Pianka suggested he might be around when the killer disease goes to work. He was born in 1939, and his lengthy obituary appears on his web site.

When Pianka finished his remarks, the audience applauded. It wasn't merely a smattering of polite clapping that audiences diplomatically reserve for poor or boring speakers. It was a loud, vigorous and enthusiastic applause.

http://www.sas.org/tcs/weeklyIssues_2006/2006-04-07/feature1p/index.html

This resulted in the Federal Bureau of Investigation interviewing Pianka in Austin.

Pianka has stated that Mims took his statements out of context and that Pianka was stating what would happen from biological principles alone if present human population trends continue, and that he was not in any way advocating for it to happen. The host of the speech, the Texas Academy of Sciences, has released a statement stating that:

"Many of Dr. Pianka's statements have been severely misconstrued and sensationalized."

:o  My question is how do you only stop at 90 percent?  Something that lethal affecting so many people would be hard to control. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
:o  My question is how do you only stop at 90 percent?  Something that lethal affecting so many people would be hard to control. 

I guess Professor Pianka and his gang of "elites" will hide in a bunker until everybody else dies and the virus dies with them. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
I guess Professor Pianka and his gang of "elites" will hide in a bunker until everybody else dies and the virus dies with them. 

He has been watching too many movies.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »
He has been watching too many movies.

;D

Good movie!

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 09:11:45 PM »

I'm still a big time cynic on this one.  The flu kills about 36,000 people a year in this country.  We have 1 confirmed death so far?   

thats what everyone says, like its not a problem.. but its a new and apparently very aggressive virus.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »
;D

Good movie!

I heard they are thinking about a sequel? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »
thats what everyone says, like its not a problem.. but its a new and apparently very aggressive virus.

Definitely new and very aggressive, but not deadly for the most part.  Doesn't appear to be any more dangerous than the "regular" flu.