Author Topic: Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens  (Read 14411 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
i agree.

Show the kid two paths they could take, with 2 real examples.

Surely every family has one couple who waited til they were 25 or 30 to have kids, who stayed together, have a nice house, and live well.

Surely every family as one couple who made a baby at 19, split up, and lived poor in a crappy house, leeching off family as a result.

Show them both examples from an early age, and let them know just how hard life is, when you're knocked up at 18.

And, teach them ways to release the internal tension without filling up some chick with sperm.  Knock one out before the date, and her mouth cannot get pregnant.  It's that simple. 

What do you tell your horny christian daughter.  

We know Bum is not going to tell her to use a condom so her only other option is to pray really hard that she doesn't get pregnant or learn to give a good hummer.   I assume he's telling her that anal sex is also out since she should use a condom for that too just for reasons of health.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »
Good luck with that. 

Okay, just show them the $ angle then.  

I managed to follow that rule and I avoided having sex until an advanced age within actual relationships.  I've never had sex on a one-night stand, oddly, unlike most males.  While my peers were risking STDs, I'd roll with the quick HJ or BJ and go home happy without the worry or risk.

That's just me.  I did the math, knew I needed the release and acted accordingly.  "real" sex was reserved for later when I was more mature and in real relationships.  As a result, I have a great respect for sex, but didn't get all neurotic as a kid or shoot up a school lol...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
What do you tell your horny christian daughter.  

We know Bum is not going to tell her to use a condom so her only other option is to pray really hard that she doesn't get pregnant or learn to give a good hummer.   I assume he's telling her that anal sex is also out since she should use a condom for that too just for reasons of health.

HAHA with any luck, I'll only have sons  ;D  Daughters are a whole nother mess.

I don't know what you tell a kid with raging hormones. 

I'd love to know what % the "Wait" technique works for.  I WISH it would work 100% of the time.  But stats show most kids are banging.  Why not teach them to go for the safe release within the confines of a relationship?  yeah, it's not politically correct, and I'd love to hear an alternative (that works).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
Okay, just show them the $ angle then.  

I managed to follow that rule and I avoided having sex until an advanced age within actual relationships.  I've never had sex on a one-night stand, oddly, unlike most males.  While my peers were risking STDs, I'd roll with the quick HJ or BJ and go home happy without the worry or risk.

That's just me.  I did the math, knew I needed the release and acted accordingly.  "real" sex was reserved for later when I was more mature and in real relationships.  As a result, I have a great respect for sex, but didn't get all neurotic as a kid or shoot up a school lol...

Hey you need to use whatever teaching method you think works best for your kids.  Good luck. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »
This reminds me of a person who doesn't have a driver's license and has never driven a car trying to tell someone how to drive.  But worse. 

I don't think the sex thing is that complicated.  I think it would be much harder to deal with your kid driving, not coming home when they said they would, hanging out with people who are bad influences, blowing off school, doing drugs etc...

I can assure you right now that I have no religious hang-up about sex and have a realistic view of what human beings will do.  I would advise my child to wait until they feel they are emotionally and physically ready and urge them to wait if ever in doubt.  Then I would also tell them that if they are going to have sex then they must act responsibly to assure that they don't get someone pregnant (if a son) or get pregnant (if a daughter) and also to protect their health at all costs.

I think not informing your kids about the hazards of unprotected sex and what to do if/when their will power fails is just being in denial and not being responsible.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
Hey you need to use whatever teaching method you think works best for your kids.  Good luck. 

right back atcha.  I know you have a few years on me, so chances are I'll be PMing you for advice down the road  ;D

I'm a conservative even tho I do defend some of obama's mess.
I great up with 10 years of catholic school.  I plan to do the same with my kids.  No clue how I'll handle the sex issue when I get there.  

What I always hated about catholic school was this... I would staight up ASK the priest or teacher "how far can I go with a girl before it's a sin".... and the answer was never there.  They said sex was a sin, but making out was not.  They could never tell me what - in the middle - was a sin.  So I just fig'd out the release thing in order not to sin.  

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »
For Christians on this board - what is the religious conflict with urging your kids to remain abstinent but also telling them that should have have a  failure of willpower (as humans are prone to do) that they should always take measures to protect their health and future by using a contraceptive (whatever that might be).
Well I'm a Christian, and I think I said how I'd handle it.  I wouldn't see it as a  conflict in teaching them safe sex, but I would not teaching
that the choice to have sex or not before marriage is an equal one.  I'd teach them it's wrong, and they should know they are doing wrong IF they decided to do it, and at the same time, I wouldn't just limit the discussion to what is wrong, but what would be best for them.  Why I would think marriage should be the ultimate station to get your freak on in.  Again, most folks wouldn't go there, but I'm prepared to.

It sounds like some, particularly those who don't have kids, have a misconception about what "sex education" really involves.  Contraception is a very small part of sex education.  It's more about values, decision making, intimacy, and relationships.  It's not simply a matter of telling a kid to wait for marriage to have sex, or teaching a kid how to use a condom.  
Beach, I agree with you in part, but how often does that conversation really take place in homes - even amongst non-religious people?  Most parents get wierded out when it comes to "the discussion", and many try to pass it on to the other partner "you tell them, no YOU tell them".

and her mouth cannot get pregnant.  It's that simple.  
.  I'd pay money to be in on that convo!!!  ;D For that one 240, if you have kids they will be ALL girls!!!! lol!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »
I don't think the sex thing is that complicated.  I think it would be much harder to deal with your kid driving, not coming home when they said they would, hanging out with people who are bad influences, blowing off school, doing drugs etc...

I can assure you right now that I have no religious hang-up about sex and have a realistic view of what human beings will do.  I would advise my child to wait until they feel they are emotionally and physically ready and urge them to wait if ever in doubt.  Then I would also tell them that if they are going to have sex then they must act responsibly to assure that they don't get someone pregnant (if a son) or get pregnant (if a daughter) and also to protect their health at all costs.

I think not informing your kids about the hazards of unprotected sex and what to do if/when their will power fails is just being in denial and not being responsible.

I came into parenthood with a number of preconceived ideas.  Some of those I maintained.  Some I changed, drastically.  It's fine to have an opinion about something you know absolutely nothing about (like you), but just keep in mind that once a person gets in the trenches their views may change.  It's also important to keep an uninformed opinion in context.

Frankly, you don't know squat about being a parent and raising kids.  You haven't been there, done that.  That's partly why I really don't care about your opinion.  But you know what they say about opinions.   :)  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
I'd pay money to be in on that convo!!!  ;D For that one 240, if you have kids they will be ALL girls!!!! lol!

LOL....

Work hard, be smart, keep your sperm to yourself.

Those should be the rules taught from grade 1.  

By the time they learn what the sperm part means (and things start functioning), it will be so indoctrinated that they'll follow it automatically.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »
right back atcha.  I know you have a few years on me, so chances are I'll be PMing you for advice down the road  ;D

I great up with 10 years of catholic school.  I plan to do the same with my kids.  No clue how I'll handle the sex issue when I get there.  

What I always hated about catholic school was this... I would staight up ASK the priest or teacher "how far can I go with a girl before it's a sin".... and the answer was never there.  They said sex was a sin, but making out was not.  They could never tell me what - in the middle - was a sin.  So I just fig'd out the release thing in order not to sin.  

Whatever method you choose to emphasize, you have to start the sex discussion early (by age 8 if they are mature enough) and continue your dialog with them.  If you develop a level of trust, and more importantly set the right example, your kids will be more likely to confide in you, and will probably make better choices.    

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »

I came into parenthood with a number of preconceived ideas.  Some of those I maintained.  Some I changed, drastically.  It's fine to have an opinion about something you know absolutely nothing about (like you), but just keep in mind that once a person gets in the trenches their views may change.  It's also important to keep an uninformed opinion in context.

Frankly, you don't know squat about being a parent and raising kids.  You haven't been there, done that.  That's partly why I really don't care about your opinion.  But you know what they say about opinions.   :)  

the thing you're forgetting is you became a parent when you were very young and very dumb

I'm 42 and much smarter than you

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2009, 12:04:15 PM »
the thing you're forgetting is you became a parent when you were very young and very dumb

I'm 42 and much smarter than you

Hahahahahahaha!   :)

You're 42, not married with no kids?  Are you gay? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »

No but why would that matter?

I forget to add above that I don't have the burden of having my common sense encumbered by religious dogma

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2009, 12:28:56 PM »

Haha...if you are not married and have no kids you are an infidel according to our resident inquisitor.... ::)
I hate the State.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »
everyone but beach bum ;)

Delusional prone as ever it seems.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

Beach, I agree with you in part, but how often does that conversation really take place in homes - even amongst non-religious people?  Most parents get wierded out when it comes to "the discussion", and many try to pass it on to the other partner "you tell them, no YOU tell them".

PTB I agree the discussion doesn't happen nearly as often and in enough depth in households, regardless of whether the parents are religious.  It's something parents really need to work on.  Education starts in the home.  We need to do a much better job as parents of educating our kids.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

George Carlin talked about this on one of his album in 1972:

"I could, uh, I could do Father Byrne so well that I often wanted to do him in confession, y'know. I wanted to get into Father Byrne's confessional one Saturday maybe a half hour before he showed up and get in there and hear a few confessions, y'know. Because I knew according to my faith and religion that if anyone came in there and really thought I was Father Byrne and really wanted to be forgiven...and perform the penance I had assigned...they would have been forgiven, man!

'Cause that's what they taught us; it's what's in your mind that counts; your intentions, that's how we'll judge you. What you want to do. Mortal sin had to be a grievous offense, sufficient reflection and full consent of the will. Ya had'ta WANNA! In fact, WANNA was a sin all by itself. "Thou Shalt Not WANNA". If you woke up in the morning and said, "I'm going down to 42nd street and commit a mortal sin!" Save your car fare; you did it, man! Absolutely!
It was a sin for you to wanna feel up Ellen. It was a sin for you to plan to feel up Ellen. It was a sin for you to figure out a place to feel up Ellen. It was a sin to take Ellen to the place to feel her up. It was a sin to try to feel her up and it was a sin to feel her up. There were six sins in one feel, man!"

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2009, 01:07:02 PM »
My son is 15 years old.I tell him to be carefull.If you get a girl pregnant thats the end of your athletic career because  then you have to go to  work to support the kid.Thats enough for him to either not take a chance or wear three condoms because one thing I know about him,sports are WAY more important then girls.In fact when girls call the house he tells them "I  HAVE TO GO TO TRAIN".

Parents need to be honest with their kids.My son knows just about everything about me.He knows the deal with competing in powerlifting,understands what we do,what we take,why its done.Hes been in the gym since he was 6 years old[hardcore gyms] and has heard and seen every type crazy thing anyone could ever see or hear.Its the parents that try to white wash their pasts and pretend that they had no past that seem to end up with the kids that are knocked up or introuble.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »
Haha...if you are not married and have no kids you are an infidel according to our resident inquisitor.... ::)

All the cool kids are doing it nowadays...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
All the cool kids are doing it nowadays...

What? marriage?
I hate the State.