Author Topic: LeBron, Kobe, Garnett on All-NBA Defense team  (Read 5715 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
LeBron, Kobe, Garnett on All-NBA Defense team
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »
LeBron stepping up his D was the reason he won the MVP this year.  Kobe on the first team again.  No surprise. 

LeBron, Kobe, Garnett on All-NBA Defense team

NEW YORK (AFP) – National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant and Defensive Player of the Year Dwight Howard lead the NBA All-Defensive Team announced on Wednesday.

Orlando Magic center Howard set the pace in voting from the league's 30 coaches with 55 points overall and 27 first-team votes with Bryant next at 53 points with 24 first-team votes.

James, the playmaker who helped the Cleveland Cavaliers claim the NBA's best regular season record, was third in the voting with 47 points followed by New Orleans guard Chris Paul on 36, one point atop Boston forward Kevin Garnett.

Howard grabbed an NBA-best 13.8 rebounds a game and also led the league with 2.9 blocked shots a game, joining Ben Wallace, Bill Walton, Hakeem Olajuwon and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the only players to top both categories in the same season.

San Antonio center Tim Duncan was named to the All-Defense second team, the 12th year in a row he has made one of the elite defensive squads.

Joining Duncan on the second team were guards Dwyane Wade of Miami and Rajon Rondo of Boston and Houston Rockets forwards Shane Battier and Ron Artest.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090506/sp_afp/basketnbadefense

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: LeBron, Kobe, Garnett on All-NBA Defense team
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:12:11 PM »
Kobe Bryant All-NBA again
By Mike Bresnahan
10:35 AM PDT, May 13, 2009
Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was selected to the All-NBA first team for a seventh time, the league announced today.

Pau Gasol was selected third team All-NBA. The voting was done by 122 writers and broadcasters who cover the NBA.

Bryant was a first-team selection in seven of the last eight seasons. He was a second-team selection in 2000 and 2001 and third team in 1999 and 2005.

Other first-team members were Cleveland forward LeBron James, Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki, Miami guard Dwyane Wade and Orlando center Dwight Howard.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi14-2009may14,0,2957125.story

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:10:29 PM »

is Lebron that good defensively?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »
is Lebron that good defensively?

He wasn't till this year.  Made a big improvement.  He can be a great defender when he puts in the effort.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »
He wasn't till this year.  Made a big improvement.  He can be a great defender when he puts in the effort.

I think Lebron averages almost 2 steal a game for his career. Plus, he can block shots because he's a huge small foward. Who knows, he may become defensive player of the year when he reaches his prime in his late 20's.

Michael Jordan did it once, while being the NBA scoring leader for the year. 1988....NBA MVP and NBA defensive player of the year. How many times has that happended in NBA history??

That year, he averaged 35 points a game, 3.6 steals a game, 1.6 blocks a game, and shot 54% precent from the field. One of the most amazing statistical season in NBA history.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »
I think Lebron averages almost 2 steal a game for his career. Plus, he can block shots because he's a huge small foward. Who knows, he may become defensive player of the year when he reaches his prime in his late 20's.

Michael Jordan did it once, while being the NBA scoring leader for the year. 1988....NBA MVP and NBA defensive player of the year. How many times has that happended in NBA history??

That year, he averaged 35 points a game, 3.6 steals a game, 1.6 blocks a game, and shot 54% precent from the field. One of the most amazing statistical season in NBA history.

The problem with LeBron defensively was he tended to float too much.  He can probably get steals and block or alter shots whenever he wants.  I think he finished second to Howard for defensive POY this year? 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:28:46 AM »
The problem with LeBron defensively was he tended to float too much.  He can probably get steals and block or alter shots whenever he wants.  I think he finished second to Howard for defensive POY this year? 

The problem is that if he gets too aggressive on defense, he could draw early foul trouble which would compromise his level of scoring. Defense does win championships in the NBA, but you have to score in order to win.

I think Lebron could easily average a triple double over a season if he wanted to. But his scoring average would dip below 25 points a game. And his team would probably lose 10-15 more games than the 66 they won this year.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
NBA announces all-defensive teams

NEW YORK -- Celtics forward Kevin Garnett and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant have been selected to the NBA all-defensive first team for a record-tying ninth time.

Garnett and Bryant were joined by Magic center Dwight Howard, who has won the past three Defensive Player of the Year awards and received the most points Monday.

Also selected for the first team were Heat forward LeBron James and Celtics guard Rajon Rondo.

Garnett and Bryant tied Michael Jordan and Gary Payton for the most selections in NBA history.

The league's coaches vote on the team.

The second team has Grizzlies guard Tony Allen, Hornets guard Chris Paul, Mavericks center Tyson Chandler, 76ers forward Andre Iguodala and Bulls forward-center Joakim Noah.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6516619

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
What!!! no Knicks ???

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:05:20 AM »
NBA announces all-defensive teams

NEW YORK -- Celtics forward Kevin Garnett and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant have been selected to the NBA all-defensive first team for a record-tying ninth time.

Garnett and Bryant were joined by Magic center Dwight Howard, who has won the past three Defensive Player of the Year awards and received the most points Monday.

Also selected for the first team were Heat forward LeBron James and Celtics guard Rajon Rondo.

Garnett and Bryant tied Michael Jordan and Gary Payton for the most selections in NBA history.

The league's coaches vote on the team.

The second team has Grizzlies guard Tony Allen, Hornets guard Chris Paul, Mavericks center Tyson Chandler, 76ers forward Andre Iguodala and Bulls forward-center Joakim Noah.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6516619

Still think Tyson Chandler doesn't make a huge difference for the Mavericks, Beach? I think you're exact words were that 'he's a pretty average 5'  :D

His defensive presence is a big reason that they're in the conference finals.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
What!!! no Knicks ???

Whaaaaaa ?

No one from Golden State Warriors?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:07:39 AM »
im a Kobe fan.. he dosent belong on the list.. just sayin..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »
lebron and kobe only play defense on occasion. i remember one of iverson's last games, iverson had his last hurrah that game until kobe started to defend{mug} him he actually knocked his head band off on one shot and no call. reminded me of a game early in iverson's career when grant hill then a superstar tripped over his own feet no one within 2 feet  of the guy a foul was hastily called on iverson. thanks to the david stern code of the superstar rules.
F

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:36 AM »
lebron and kobe only play defense on occasion. i remember one of iverson's last games, iverson had his last hurrah that game until kobe started to defend{mug} him he actually knocked his head band off on one shot and no call. reminded me of a game early in iverson's career when grant hill then a superstar tripped over his own feet no one within 2 feet  of the guy a foul was hastily called on iverson. thanks to the david stern code of the superstar rules.

lebron.. king of the weakside block..

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
Still think Tyson Chandler doesn't make a huge difference for the Mavericks, Beach? I think you're exact words were that 'he's a pretty average 5'  :D

His defensive presence is a big reason that they're in the conference finals.

Huge difference?  No.  Does he make "a" difference?  Yes.  He doesn't do a whole lot.  Doesn't score.  Doesn't really rebound.  Doesn't block shots.  Dallas is still not a good defensive team. 

His playoff stats:
7 points, 8.7 rebounds, .3 assists, .2 steals, .7 blocks

Regular season:
10 points, 8.8 rebounds, .8 assists, .5 steals, 1.1 blocks. 

Pretty average. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
Huge difference?  No.  Does he make "a" difference?  Yes.  He doesn't do a whole lot.  Doesn't score.  Doesn't really rebound.  Doesn't block shots.  Dallas is still not a good defensive team.  

His playoff stats:
7 points, 8.7 rebounds, .3 assists, .2 steals, .7 blocks

Regular season:
10 points, 8.8 rebounds, .8 assists, .5 steals, 1.1 blocks.  

Pretty average.  

Damn! You sure are hating on a team that was clearly better this season than the Lakers. It's not all about stats, dude. Average NBA players don't get recognized on all NBA defensive teams. For example, look up Bruce Bowen's career stats. Pretty average would you say? I would agree. But he was one of the best defensive players in the league during his career. I seem to remember him defending Kobe pretty well during the mid 2000 playoff years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
It's not all about stats, dude. Average NBA players don't get recognized on all NBA defensive teams. For example, look up Bruce Bowen's career stats. Pretty average would you say? I would agree. But he was one of the best defensive players in the league during his career.

I agree.  I don't think Chandler falls in that category.  He benefits from the fact the center position is the weakest in the NBA.  He's not a great defensive presence.  If he was, Dallas wouldn't be such a poor defensive team, especially with Kidd and a healthy Caron Butler. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
Damn! You sure are hating on a team that was clearly better this season than the Lakers.

How you figure?  They both finished 57-25, with LA taking the tie breaker because they won the regular season series with Dallas, including beating Dallas in Texas. 

I am not impressed with Dallas.  A perimeter team that doesn't play defense is going to have a hard time winning a championship. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
How you figure?  They both finished 57-25, with LA taking the tie breaker because they won the regular season series with Dallas, including beating Dallas in Texas. 

I am not impressed with Dallas.  A perimeter team that doesn't play defense is going to have a hard time winning a championship. 

Well....we'll see. it's been an interesting playoffs so far.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »
Well....we'll see. it's been an interesting playoffs so far.

Definitely sort of a changing of the guard, with SA, LA, and likely Boston going down. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »
Definitely sort of a changing of the guard, with SA, LA, and likely Boston going down. 

Boston is going to make one more run with their core. But they need a lot of bench help with so many unrestricted free agents leaving after this season. I think every Celtics fan worldwide wants to take a piece of Danny Ainge's ass after that abysmal Perkins trade. Still boggles my mind why he pulled the trigger on that trade with OKC. Just horrible.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
Boston is going to make one more run with their core. But they need a lot of bench help with so many unrestricted free agents leaving after this season. I think every Celtics fan worldwide wants to take a piece of Danny Ainge's ass after that abysmal Perkins trade. Still boggles my mind why he pulled the trigger on that trade with OKC. Just horrible.

Yep.  Terrible trade.  If they get a center, they'll make another title run. 

A bench?  Meh.  Miami is showing that in today's NBA, three guys can make it to the conference finals. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
Yep.  Terrible trade.  If they get a center, they'll make another title run.  

A bench?  Meh.  Miami is showing that in today's NBA, three guys can make it to the conference finals.  

Well, to be fair...the Celtics big three are all on the back nine of their respective careers, while Miami's big three are just getting started. Actually, with the return of Udonis Haslem for the Heat, Miami's bench just got stronger once he gets his legs underneath of him. If Miami makes it to the NBA finals, watch Haslem's minutes increase.

Miami was celebrating like they just won the NBA finals when they beat the Celtics. Still 8 wins to go before they can hoist the trophy. I think OKC and the Heat would be a great finals matchup. Did you see that tomahawk slam by Westbrook Wed night? He's a point guard! :o

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 05:34:35 PM »
Well, to be fair...the Celtics big three are all on the back nine of their respective careers, while Miami's big three are just getting started. Actually, with the return of Udonis Haslem for the Heat, Miami's bench just got stronger once he gets his legs underneath of him. If Miami makes it to the NBA finals, watch Haslem's minutes increase.

Miami was celebrating like they just won the NBA finals when they beat the Heat. Still 8 wins to go before they can hoist the trophy. I think OKC and the Heat would be a great finals matchup. Did you see that tomahawk slam by Westbrook Wed night? He's a point guard! :o

Missed it.  Haven't watched a game since LA lost game 2 to Dallas. 

Heard about Miami's celebration.  A little premature, but they're the clear favorite at this point IMO.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »
Missed it.  Haven't watched a game since LA lost game 2 to Dallas. 

Heard about Miami's celebration.  A little premature, but they're the clear favorite at this point IMO.

Too bad. You're missing some good basketball.