Author Topic: Does anyone eat mainly organic?  (Read 2830 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Does anyone eat mainly organic?
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
If so, do you order from any websites you'd like to share?  Thanks!
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Does anyone eat mainly organic?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »
heck no. 
1. too expensive. 2. Don't believe in organic food unless i grow it.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
heck no. 
1. too expensive. 2. Don't believe in organic food unless i grow it.

It does seem really expensive! 

It would be nice to eat organic I think but I pretty much only buy organic chicken breasts when I can find them...but I tried some steaks once...expensive AND did not taste that great.

R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »
It does seem really expensive! 

It would be nice to eat organic I think but I pretty much only buy organic chicken breasts when I can find them...but I tried some steaks once...expensive AND did not taste that great.

Yeah i have tried and cooked with organic foods and i think they are overrated.  I went to whole foods to shop and nearly died.  I ended up just buying a few things and hitting my local store.  There is a farmers market near me that is great.  they have the best bread.  It is organic, and some of the produce is as well.  I know a lot of people swear by organic but really, i don't see it.

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »

I eat mainly organic foods, but I have never bought any from a website.
There must be an organic store in your city or at the least an organic section in the grocery market.

Just Bad Bad Blood!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 12:32:57 PM »
i need to take out a small home loan if i want to go shopping organic.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »
I eat mainly organic foods, but I have never bought any from a website.
There must be an organic store in your city or at the least an organic section in the grocery market.

There are organic stores but like Migs said..they are so expensive!  I do get the chicken breasts at a regular store....they are kind of expensive but really good.

OS, you had posted a sandwich you make...I think it had bulgur in it or something...did you/could you post the recipe/ingredients if you know what I'm talking about?
R

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »

my girl tries to...and we shop here

http://www.harristeeter.com/
carpe` vaginum!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »
my girl tries to...and we shop here

http://www.harristeeter.com/

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.  I almost always shop at "The 'Teet" 

Save more with your VIC card...
~

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »
There are organic stores but like Migs said..they are so expensive!  I do get the chicken breasts at a regular store....they are kind of expensive but really good.

OS, you had posted a sandwich you make...I think it had bulgur in it or something...did you/could you post the recipe/ingredients if you know what I'm talking about?

Sorry, wasn't my recipe.
I didn't even know what bulgur was until I googled it.

If it isn't a barley sandwich I usually don't bother :)
Just Bad Bad Blood!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »

Save more with your VIC card...

lol...
carpe` vaginum!

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 05:16:10 PM »

OH HELL NO!

I want my food filled with preservatives! That way, when I die, my body will already be preserved and ready for burial. Less money and easier on the people that will put me in the ground!!! ;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »

I'd love to do organic chicken breast, but with a price tag of $7.99/lb vs 1.99-2.99/lb, I just can't do it  :-\
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »
yeah damn organic farmers.  destroying the economy

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »
No

lauderdale

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 05:59:26 AM »
I do shop at Harris Teeter but I don't really consider that organic.  If I want real organic, I go to the Amish market. They have organic meats and produce and it is at half the cost of Whole Foods prices.  And it tastes much better!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »
Sorry, wasn't my recipe.
I didn't even know what bulgur was until I googled it.

If it isn't a barley sandwich I usually don't bother :)
That's what I meant...barley!

OH HELL NO!

I want my food filled with preservatives! That way, when I die, my body will already be preserved and ready for burial. Less money and easier on the people that will put me in the ground!!! ;D
;D

I do shop at Harris Teeter but I don't really consider that organic.  If I want real organic, I go to the Amish market. They have organic meats and produce and it is at half the cost of Whole Foods prices.  And it tastes much better!
:o  Nice!
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 08:05:19 AM »
The bird food I make is usually 100% organic - legumes, grains, seeds, and veggies:)

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 08:38:57 AM »
This is a Barley Sandwich...  ;D

Just Bad Bad Blood!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 11:35:56 AM »
i'm going to start a ban on organic stuff.  Except my farmers market bread.  ;D

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
All my meat is grass fed with cows raised on pasture.  All my eggs are organic and from free range, cage free chickens.  There is a huge quality difference in organic vegetables and regular vegetables.  Avacados, tomatoes, all last much longer, have better color and what not.  Is organic more expensive?  Meat and vegetables are slightly higher but you guys are definitely exaggerating.  Whole Foods is expensive in general.  There are many other places to buy organic vegetables.  Processed food is processed food whether it's organic or not.  Tons of the crap sold at Whole Foods is packaged and processed like anywhere else.  Loaded with salt and sugar.  Just because it has the stamp of "organic" on it doesn't mean anything.  But when it comes to meat and vegetable the extra money spent is well worth it in my opinion. 

www.organicpastures.com

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
All my meat is grass fed with cows raised on pasture.  All my eggs are organic and from free range, cage free chickens.  There is a huge quality difference in organic vegetables and regular vegetables.  Avacados, tomatoes, all last much longer, have better color and what not.  Is organic more expensive?  Meat and vegetables are slightly higher but you guys are definitely exaggerating.  Whole Foods is expensive in general.  There are many other places to buy organic vegetables.  Processed food is processed food whether it's organic or not.  Tons of the crap sold at Whole Foods is packaged and processed like anywhere else.  Loaded with salt and sugar.  Just because it has the stamp of "organic" on it doesn't mean anything.  But when it comes to meat and vegetable the extra money spent is well worth it in my opinion. 

www.organicpastures.com

i can go to kroger or publix and get organic veg there and it's still 2.5x more expensive if not more.  The farmers market i go to has organic stuff and not badly priced, however i have never noticed a difference quality wise over eggs and for the most part most veggies in terms of taste.  perhaps some fruits, but still can't justify the price.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 12:57:10 PM »
i can go to kroger or publix and get organic veg there and it's still 2.5x more expensive if not more.  The farmers market i go to has organic stuff and not badly priced, however i have never noticed a difference quality wise over eggs and for the most part most veggies in terms of taste.  perhaps some fruits, but still can't justify the price.

Well it's your body.  You can put into it what you want.  I've seen first hand the difference in quality from organic vegetables vs. grocery store quality.  Avacados and tomatoes seem to last a lot longer and the tomatoes most definitely have a different shade of red in the organic brands.  A deep, brighter red.  Atleast where I shop.  But you are very wrong about eggs.  Well slightly wrong.  I would agree there isn't a huge difference in organic eggs vs. the good old grocery store eggs.  But there is a HUGE difference between farm fresh eggs by chickens that munch on insects and are truly free roaming.  I've seen the difference first hand.  Eggs from truly free range chickens are a deep orange yolk with very firm egg whites.  I've NEVER seen any organic egg look like the ones I used to buy fresh from the farm where I saw the chickens running around in the pen eating insects and bugs.  So you are right in that sense. 

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
you can't get much more organic than a food coming out of a birds ass.  Farm fresh eggs are great.  i've had them in Spain and in Mexico.  But as for the organic omega 3,6 super organic $3.99 a dozon eggs on the shelf, major waste of money.  I have gotten a lot of high quality non-organic veg, but again at a farmers market where produce is there fresh daily. There is a big difference between that and the head of romaine that's been sitting at kroger for 2 weeks.