Author Topic: Why do so many people believe that the USA was founded on Christian principles?  (Read 5860 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
loco=wrong=quote mining schmuck

Sure, it's quote mining only when you disagree with the quote.    :)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Sure, it's quote mining only when you disagree with the quote.    :)
Nope. It is quote mining when you provide NO Context whatsoever. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Nope. It is quote mining when you provide NO Context whatsoever. 

Unlike some here, I do not spam the boards.  People don't bother to read spam.

But I do provide the source.  So feel free to go to the source and prove that I'm quoting out of context.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
John Adams

Letter to Thomas Jefferson, 1812:

"The Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount contain my religion."

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
John Adams

Letter to Thomas Jefferson, 1812:

"The Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount contain my religion."
This has NOTHING to do with the founding of the USA or the USA`s principles.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Why do you people argue about Religion so much?   ???
S

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Why do you people argue about Religion so much?   ???
Because it has been the cause of so many wars, millions and millions of innocent deaths, warped our culture, suppressed Science, Suppressed the rights of others, Hindered Technology, Stymied human advancement and has created justification to do anything in the name of "faith" or "god".

To say nothing and let it go unscathed, is allowing its permittance to do evil as it has done and will continue to do. 

Why should we lay silent to these injustices caused by religion?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
This has NOTHING to do with the founding of the USA or the USA`s principles.

Adonis,

Deicide asked "Why do so many people believe that the USA was founded on Christian principles." 

I am simply giving reasons why I and why others I know believe this, whether or not you disagree with our reasons. 

No reason for you to get angry and resort to insults.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Because it has been the cause of so many wars, millions and millions of innocent deaths, warped our culture, suppressed Science, Suppressed the rights of others, Hindered Technology, Stymied human advancement and has created justification to do anything in the name of "faith" or "god".

To say nothing and let it go unscathed, is allowing its permittance to do evil as it has done and will continue to do. 

Nationalism, Communism and other secular ideologies have killed many more people than religion ever did.  Atheist leaders have killed many more people than religious leaders ever did.

WWI(1914 - 1918):  19,772,701 casualties
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties#References

WWII(1930s – 1945): 62,000,000 casualties
- World War II: Combatants and Casualties (1937 — 1945). Retrieved on 2007-04-20.
- Source List and Detailed Death Tolls for the Twentieth Century Hemoclysm. Retrieved on 2007-04-20.
- World War II Fatalities. Retrieved on 2007-04-20.

Joseph Stalin's Great Purge(1937 -1938): 1,200,000  casualties
- Soviet Repression Statistics: Some Comments by Historian Michael Ellman, 2002

Mao Zedong's Great Leap Forward(1958 - 1960):  43,000,000  casualties
- Peng Xizhe (彭希哲), "Demographic Consequences of the Great Leap Forward in China's Provinces," Population and Development Review 13, no. 4 (1987), 639-70.

Pol Pot's agrarian collectivization (1975 -1979): 1,700,000  casualties
- Sophal Ear (May 1995). The Khmer Rouge Canon 1975-1979: The Standard Total Academic View on Cambodia. Retrieved on 2007-11-02.In Chapter 1: Introduction
- The Cambodian Genocide Program. Retrieved on 2007-11-02.

These were not committed by ancient, primitive people and they were not inspired by religious beliefs.  These were committed by "modern civilized people" inspired by secular ideologies like Nationalism and Communism.

And the cause for the current, global economic crisis has nothing to do with faith in God, but it has a lot to do with greed, dishonesty, and materialism, all of which are condemned by God according to the Bible.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Adonis,

Deicide asked "Why do so many people believe that the USA was founded on Christian principles." 

I am simply giving reasons why I and why others I know believe this, whether or not you disagree with our reasons. 

No reason for you to get angry and resort to insults.
Again, John Adams religion or lack of religion is not applicable to the United States being based on any religion.  The United States Constitution makes no reference to Christianity whatsoever nor are there any Christian principles contained therein.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Again, John Adams religion or lack of religion is not applicable to the United States being based on any religion.  The United States Constitution makes no reference to Christianity whatsoever nor are there any Christian principles contained therein.

I know that they did not want a theocracy, and for that I am grateful.  But if you are going to build from scratch the foundation for a new country, you are going to have to build it on some principles, whatever those maybe.  The founding fathers, such as John Adams above, were most familiar with, not Muslim, not Buddhist, not Hindu, but most familiar with Judeo-Christian principles, for example "The Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount."

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
I know that they did not want a theocracy, and for that I am grateful.  But if you are going to build from scratch the foundation for a new country, you are going to have to build it on some principles, whatever those maybe.  The founding fathers, such as John Adams above, were most familiar with, not Muslim, not Buddhist, not Hindu, but most familiar with Judeo-Christian principles, for example "The Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount."
Neither of which have anything to do with the Constitution. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Neither of which have anything to do with the Constitution. 

Most likely because the individual state constitutions already had plenty on the subject of God and religion and the framers of the U. S. Constitution, who intended not to give the federal government too much power, believed that it would be inappropriate to step over state jurisdiction in this area.

Some state constitutions in the U.S. still say, even today, that you can't hold office in the state if you do not believe in God.

Miscellaneous Provisions.
1. Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

Arkansas Constitution - Page 74
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/Summary/ArkansasConstitution1874.pdf

Isn't that where your beloved Hilary and Bill Clinton are from?   :)

And "our Lord" does appear in the U.S. Constitution.    ;)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Most likely because the individual state constitutions already had plenty on the subject of God and religion and the framers of the U. S. Constitution, who intended not to give the federal government too much power, believed that it would be inappropriate to step over state jurisdiction in this area.

Some state constitutions in the U.S. still say, even today, that you can't hold office in the state if you do not believe in God.

Miscellaneous Provisions.
1. Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

Arkansas Constitution - Page 74
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/Summary/ArkansasConstitution1874.pdf

Isn't that where your beloved Hilary and Bill Clinton are from?   :)

And "our Lord" does appear in the U.S. Constitution.    ;)
Right.  There is the same provision in North Carolina under their state Constitution.

Both of these are rendered meaningless by Federal Law, the establishment clause.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
The no religious test clause of the United States Constitution is found in Article VI, section 3, and states that:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
And a little more History for "joker":
 In the 1961 case Torcaso v. Watkins, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled that such language in state constitutions was in violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. In 1997 the South Carolina Supreme Court ruled that the state constitution requiring an oath to God for employment in the public sector was unconstitutional.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Right.  There is the same provision in North Carolina under their state Constitution.

Both of these are rendered meaningless by Federal Law, the establishment clause.

The no religious test clause of the United States Constitution is found in Article VI, section 3, and states that:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

And a little more History for "joker":
 In the 1961 case Torcaso v. Watkins, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled that such language in state constitutions was in violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. In 1997 the South Carolina Supreme Court ruled that the state constitution requiring an oath to God for employment in the public sector was unconstitutional.

It has only been interpreted that way fairly recently.  No court has ruled on the applicability of Article VI to any state religious test being unconstitutional. 

We are talking about the founding of the nation, not amendments to and interpretations of the original law of the land.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but you don't think people would find other things to fight about if religion was out of the picture?  ???
S

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but you don't think people would find other things to fight about if religion was out of the picture?  ???
And if they do and they simply continue the same behavior under another banner such as Nationalism, that too should be challenged.  Remaining silent is letting evil prevail.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Nationalism, Communism and other secular ideologies have killed many more people than religion ever did.  Atheist leaders have killed many more people than religious leaders ever did.

No "atheist" leader has ever killed because of atheism.  Its equivalent to saying Leaders with mustaches have killed millions, so therefore mustaches must be wrong.

Religious Leaders HAVE KILLED AND STARTED Wars. in the NAME of their religion and make no attempt to hide it.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

Do you have good genetics?
I hate the State.

Mons Venus

No "atheist" leader has ever killed because of atheism.  Its equivalent to saying Leaders with mustaches have killed millions, so therefore mustaches must be wrong.

Religious Leaders HAVE KILLED AND STARTED Wars. in the NAME of their religion and make no attempt to hide it.

Amen.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Do you have good genetics?

I think I do.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Wrong.  Stalin's atheism let him to murder many priests, nuns, and thousands of other religious people.  Their crime?  They believed in God.

Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot had no fear of God and were above the law of the land, which left nothing to stop them from murdering millions in the name of their secular ideologies.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I think I do.

In terms of muscle growth response? muscle bellies? Structure?
I hate the State.