Author Topic: Why do so many people believe that the USA was founded on Christian principles?  (Read 5861 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
When we have an abundance of documentation and textual evidence that shows it to have been in no way founded on any such principles?
I hate the State.

Ganuvanx

• Getbig II
  • There's somethin out there, and it ain't no man.
Much of the documentation and textual evidence I have looked into show that many of the men that founded this country and the primary figures guiding its secret desinty today follow the mystery religions based on the occult.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Much of the documentation and textual evidence I have looked into show that many of the men that founded this country and the primary figures guiding its secret desinty today follow the mystery religions based on the occult.

They were deists, as was often the case with Enlightenment intellectuals.
I hate the State.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
The vast majority of the founders were Athiests... Benjamin Franklin, Washington, Jefferson to name a few... Religion shoudlnt be involved in any part of government... Its fake, a fraud, a lie and cause more probs than anything else in the world..

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
The vast majority of the founders were Athiests... Benjamin Franklin, Washington, Jefferson to name a few... Religion shoudlnt be involved in any part of government... Its fake, a fraud, a lie and cause more probs than anything else in the world..

They weren't atheists, but rather deists, as was standard at the time for such intellectuals.
I hate the State.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Here are some of the quotes of former presidents in regard to any belief in GOD

George Washington:  "The United States is in no sense founded upon
Christian Doctrine"

Thomas Jefferson:  "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there
are twenty gods or no God.  It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

Thomas Paine:  I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church,
by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the
Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of.  My own mind is my own
Church.

Roger Williams:  God requireth not a uniformity of religion.

Thomas Jefferson:  The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus,
by the Supreme Being as his Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be
classified with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of
Jupiter.  But we may hope that the dawn of reason and the freedom of
thought in these United States will do away with this artificial
scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of
this most venerated Reformer of human errors.

James Madison:  During almost fifteen centuries the legal establishment
known as Christianity has been on trial, and what have been the fruits,
more or less, in all places?  These are the fruits:  pride, indolence,
ignorance, and arrogance in the clergy.  Ignorance, arrogance, and
servility in the laity, and in both clergy and laity, superstition,
bigotry, and persecution.

Thomas Jefferson:  I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming
feature.

John Adams:  The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.
Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths,
Doctrines, and whole carloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in
Christianity.

Thomas Paine:  Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in
religion is the worst."

Abraham Lincoln:  The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my
religion.  I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of
Christian dogma.

And finally....

Benjamin Franklin:  As to Jesus of Nazareth, I think the system of Morals
and his Religion, as he left them to us, the best the World ever saw or
is likely to see;  but I apprehend it has received various corrupting
Changes, and I have, with the most of the present Dissenters in England,
some doubts to his divinity.
C

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
They weren't atheists, but rather deists, as was standard at the time for such intellectuals.

Is that right?

Religious Affiliation of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence

Name of Signer---------State-------------Religious Affiliation

Charles Carroll-------Maryland---------Catholic
Samuel Huntington-------- Connecticut---------- Congregationalist
Roger Sherman--------- Connecticut--------- Congregationalist
William Williams----------- Connecticut----------- Congregationalist
Oliver Wolcott -----------Connecticut----------- Congregationalist
Lyman Hall------------  Georgia------------  Congregationalist
Samuel Adams------------  Massachusetts------------  Congregationalist
John Hancock------------  Massachusetts------------  Congregationalist
Josiah Bartlett------------  New Hampshire------------  Congregationalist
William Whipple ------------ New Hampshire------------  Congregationalist
William Ellery------------  Rhode Island------------  Congregationalist
John Adams------------  Massachusett------------ s Congregationalist; Unitarian
Robert Treat Paine------------  Massachusett------------ s Congregationalist; Unitarian
George Walton------------  Georgia------------  Episcopalian
John Penn------------  North Carolina------------  Episcopalian
George Ross------------  Pennsylvania------------  Episcopalian
Thomas Heyward Jr.------------  South Carolina------------  Episcopalian
Thomas Lynch Jr.------------  South Carolina------------  Episcopalian
Arthur Middleton------------  South Carolina------------  Episcopalian
Edward Rutledge------------  South Carolina------------  Episcopalian
Francis Lightfoot Lee------------  Virginia------------  Episcopalian
Richard Henry Lee------------  Virginia------------  Episcopalian
George Read------------  Delaware------------  Episcopalian
Caesar Rodney------------  Delaware------------  Episcopalian
Samuel Chase------------  Maryland------------  Episcopalian
William Paca------------  Maryland------------  Episcopalian
Thomas Stone ------------ Maryland------------  Episcopalian
Elbridge Gerry------------  Massachusetts------------  Episcopalian
Francis Hopkinson ------------ New Jersey------------  Episcopalian
Francis Lewis ------------ New York------------  Episcopalian
Lewis Morris------------  New York------------  Episcopalian
William Hooper----------- North Carolina----------- Episcopalian
Robert Morris----------- Pennsylvania----------- Episcopalian
John Morton----------- Pennsylvania----------- Episcopalian
Stephen Hopkins----------- Rhode Island----------- Episcopalian
Carter Braxton----------- Virginia----------- Episcopalian
Benjamin Harrison----------- Virginia----------- Episcopalian
Thomas Nelson Jr.----------- Virginia----------- Episcopalian
George Wythe----------- Virginia----------- Episcopalian
Thomas Jefferson----------- Virginia----------- Episcopalian (Deist)
Benjamin Franklin----------- Pennsylvania----------- Episcopalian (Deist)
Button Gwinnett----------- Georgia----------- Episcopalian; Congregationalist
James Wilson----------- Pennsylvania -----------Episcopalian; Presbyterian
Joseph Hewes-----------North Carolina------------ Quaker, Episcopalian
George Clymer----------- Pennsylvania------------- Quaker, Episcopalian
Thomas McKean------------ Delaware----------- Presbyterian
Matthew Thornton-------------- New Hampshire----------- Presbyterian
Abraham Clark------------ New Jersey------------ Presbyterian
John Hart------------- New Jersey------------ Presbyterian
Richard Stockton---------- New Jersey------------- Presbyterian
John Witherspoon------------- New Jersey----------- Presbyterian
William Floyd---------- New York-------------- Presbyterian
Philip Livingston------------ New York------------ Presbyterian
James Smith---------- Pennsylvania---------- Presbyterian
George Taylor---------- Pennsylvania---------- Presbyterian
Benjamin Rush---------- Pennsylvania--------- Presbyterian

And there's plenty more from which that came. Check the men who signed the Constitution.

Religious Affiliation------ # of Delegates-------- % of Delegates

Episcopalian/Anglican--------- 31--------- 56.4%
Presbyterian--------- 16----------- 29.1%
Congregationalist-------- 8 --------14.5%
Quaker --------3-------- 5.5%
Catholic-------- 2 --------3.6%
Methodist-------- 2-------- 3.6%
Lutheran-------- 2-------- 3.6%
Dutch Reformed-------- 2-------- 3.6%

TOTAL --------55 --------100%

http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_Fathers_Religion.html

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
As far as quotes from presidents go,

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen." - John Adams, December 25, 1813, letter to Thomas Jefferson

Two more from John Adams:

The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." (October 11, 1798)

The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.” - John Quincy Adams, "Letters to his son". p. 61

God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” Benjamin Franklin, Constitutional Convention of 1787

God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.” - Thomas Jefferson

This guy wasn't a president; but, I thought I'd throw his quote into the mix, because it fits nicely.  ;D

“It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here." - Patrick Henry, Speech to the House of Burgesses, May 1765.

Here’s one that would make the ACLU and most folks on the left CRINGE:

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ” – George Washington, Speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs, May 12, 1779

From Washington’s Farewell Address (verse 27)

Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connexions with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

http://www.eadshome.com/QuotesoftheFounders.htm

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

Ancient Babylonian theology - to be precise.

Which went on to become  - Ancient Egyptian.

Hence all the (what looks to the lay-man) to be Egyptian symbolism all over the place, in any lodge you care to take a tour of.
Growth/noob loves me

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
As far as quotes from presidents go,

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen." - John Adams, December 25, 1813, letter to Thomas Jefferson

Two more from John Adams:

The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." (October 11, 1798)

The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.” - John Quincy Adams, "Letters to his son". p. 61

God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” Benjamin Franklin, Constitutional Convention of 1787

God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.” - Thomas Jefferson

This guy wasn't a president; but, I thought I'd throw his quote into the mix, because it fits nicely.  ;D

“It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here." - Patrick Henry, Speech to the House of Burgesses, May 1765.

Here’s one that would make the ACLU and most folks on the left CRINGE:

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ” – George Washington, Speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs, May 12, 1779

From Washington’s Farewell Address (verse 27)

Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connexions with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

http://www.eadshome.com/QuotesoftheFounders.htm

And what about all those other quotes MCWAY? It is very clear that Thomas Jefferson thought Christianity silly and infantile as did others. You cannot simply ignore this.
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
And what about all those other quotes MCWAY? It is very clear that Thomas Jefferson thought Christianity silly and infantile as did others. You cannot simply ignore this.

That list was hardly exhaustive, Deicide. The point, which you apparently missed, is that the lion’s share of the Founding Fathers (presidents and others) made it clear that their Judeo-Christian beliefs were at the heart of this country’s being.

Furthermore, genius, I quoted Jefferson when I posted that list. Plus, it appears that you "conveniently" forget that Jefferson penned the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE, which I believe stated, that men are “endowed by their CREATOR with certain inalienable rights”.

I wonder to whom he could be referring (Hint: It ain't Buddha or Allah).

But, since you're in the mood for Jefferson quotes, here's another.

“Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.”

To go along with what I posted earlier, which was.....

God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.”

BTW, here's another guy who found Chrisitianity "silly and infantile"  ::)

“Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age, impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, of inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity and universal philanthropy, and, in subordination to these great principles, the love of their country; of instructing them in the art of self-government, without which they can never act as a wise part of the government of societies, great or small in short, of leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.” – Samuel Adams

As usual, you make foolish claims, with little more to back it up than gibberish that can rather easily be refuted. Bottom line: Why do so many people believe that the USA was founded on Christian principles?

Answer: THE FOUNDING FATHERS SAID SO!!!

NEXT!!!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
That list was hardly exhaustive, Deicide. The point, which you apparently missed, is that the lion’s share of the Founding Fathers (presidents and others) made it clear that their Judeo-Christian beliefs were at the heart of this country’s being.

Furthermore, genius, I quoted Jefferson when I posted that list. Plus, it appears that you "conveniently" forget that Jefferson penned the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE, which I believe stated, that men are “endowed by their CREATOR with certain inalienable rights”.

I wonder to whom he could be referring (Hint: It ain't Buddha or Allah).

But, since you're in the mood for Jefferson quotes, here's another.

“Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.”

To go along with what I posted earlier, which was.....

God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.”

BTW, here's another guy who found Chrisitianity "silly and infantile"  ::)

“Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age, impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, of inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity and universal philanthropy, and, in subordination to these great principles, the love of their country; of instructing them in the art of self-government, without which they can never act as a wise part of the government of societies, great or small in short, of leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.” – Samuel Adams

None of them believed in the miracles and other inventions that are so essential to Christianity as you can see from the citations. And then there are rock solid statements about the USA 'in no way founded on Christian principles'. I know fundies wish it were that way but the USA was founded as a secular state.
I hate the State.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
This is a very interesting thread

I might describe myself as a Deist.
S

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
This is a very interesting thread

I might describe myself as a Deists.

Do you mean deist?
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
None of them believed in the miracles and other inventions that are so essential to Christianity as you can see from the citations. And then there are rock solid statements about the USA 'in no way founded on Christian principles'. I know fundies wish it were that way but the USA was founded as a secular state.

You mean rock-solid statements like those of Henry?

“It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."

Or rock solid statements like those John Jay?

Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.”

Or, this rock-solid statement from James McHenry?

Public utility pleads most forcibly for the general distribution of the Holy Scriptures. The doctrine they preach, the obligations they impose, the punishment they threaten, the rewards they promise, the stamp and image of divinity they bear, which produces a conviction of their truths, can alone secure to society, order and peace, and to our courts of justice and constitutions of government, purity, stability and usefulness. In vain, without the Bible, we increase penal laws and draw entrenchments around our institutions. Bibles are strong entrenchments. Where they abound, men cannot pursue wicked courses, and at the same time enjoy quiet conscience.

Or perhaps, you mean rock-solid statements like this one from Charles Carroll:

Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure...are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

"Fundies" don't need to wish. It's a fact, backed by the words of the Founding Fathers themselves, contrary to your woefully inaccurate diatribes.

As for your flap about lack of belief in the miracles and such, take a GOOD LOOOOOOONG LOOK at the denominational breakdown of the Founding Fathers. In nearly all of those demoninations are the fundamental beliefs, regarding the birth, death, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

But, don't take my words for it:

The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.” - John Adams

“If moral precepts alone could have reformed mankind, the mission of the Son of God into our world would have been unnecessary.” Benjamin Rush

i]Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" “Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?
– John Quincy Adams
It has been the error of the schools to teach astronomy, and all the other sciences, and subjects of natural philosophy, as accomplishments only; whereas they should be taught theologically, or with reference to the Being who is the author of them: for all the principles of science are of divine origin. Man cannot make, or invent, or contrive principles: he can only discover them; and he ought to look through the discovery to the Author. The evil that has resulted from the error of the schools, in teaching natural philosophy as an accomplishment only, has been that of generating in the pupils a species of atheism. Instead of looking through the works of creation to the Creator himself, they stop short, and employ the knowledge they acquire to create doubts of his existence. They labour with studied ingenuity to ascribe every thing they behold to innate properties of matter, and jump over all the rest by saying, that matter is eternal.” Thomas Paine,  “The Existence of God", 1810

So much for the secular state stuff!! Got any more foolishness to spout, Deicide?

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
To add to this thread..To say or have someone say I AM A CHRISTIAN means nothing. Ones actions tell if they are a Christian. I can liken it to a Catholic priest saying he is a man of the cloth as he rapes a young boy in the back of the church..mouth says one thing, actions say another. So far as presidents of america go...None spared the lives of the Native People who were far more CHRISTIAN than any of these HEATHEN presidents could ever be. To have gone on killing/murderous rampages against the same people who shared THEIR LAND, THEIR NATURAL RESOURCES and THEIR LABORS tells of a different mindset than what mcway is trying to present. One president after another made it his business to steal greater and greater parts of america from the Native People until they were relegated to concentration camps called RESERVATIONS...Christian? HARDLY. Add to  the "Christian" claims the Slave Trade and the killing of MILLIONS of Negroes being brought to america and the enslavement of them in america. Maybe these so called presidents should have reviewed the Bible in regard to Murder, Covetousness, False Witness, Stealing, Having no other god (all presidents Freeemasons with their own god) etc etc. Here is how so many are DECEIVED...they listen to the mouth of persons claiming to be Christian, but pay no attention to the ACTIONS. The american televangelist are the perfect examples of this...pretending to PREACH THE  WORD, all the while their only goal is MONEY.

So for all of the claims being made by mcway and those who want to Christianize these former presidents I say FORGET IT. These guys were and are nothing more than a collection of swindling murderers, thieves, liars, con-men, charlatans etc...the same as the presidents of america today.
C

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
To add to this thread..To say or have someone say I AM A CHRISTIAN means nothing. Ones actions tell if they are a Christian. I can liken it to a Catholic priest saying he is a man of the cloth as he rapes a young boy in the back of the church..mouth says one thing, actions say another. So far as presidents of america go...None spared the lives of the Native People who were far more CHRISTIAN than any of these HEATHEN presidents could ever be. To have gone on killing/murderous rampages against the same people who shared THEIR LAND, THEIR NATURAL RESOURCES and THEIR LABORS tells of a different mindset than what mcway is trying to present. One president after another made it his business to steal greater and greater parts of america from the Native People until they were relegated to concentration camps called RESERVATIONS...Christian? HARDLY. Add to  the "Christian" claims the Slave Trade and the killing of MILLIONS of Negroes being brought to america and the enslavement of them in america. Maybe these so called presidents should have reviewed the Bible in regard to Murder, Covetousness, False Witness, Stealing, Having no other god (all presidents Freeemasons with their own god) etc etc. Here is how so many are DECEIVED...they listen to the mouth of persons claiming to be Christian, but pay no attention to the ACTIONS. The american televangelist are the perfect examples of this...pretending to PREACH THE  WORD, all the while their only goal is MONEY.

So for all of the claims being made by mcway and those who want to Christianize these former presidents I say FORGET IT. These guys were and are nothing more than a collection of swindling murderers, thieves, liars, con-men, charlatans etc...the same as the presidents of america today.

No one's trying to "Christianize" those former presidents. Those are their own words.

You were quick to use their quote to claim that they didn't believe in God. But, when faced with statements to the contrary from those same men (and others) you come up with this lame excuse.

No one claimed that they were perfect (their shortcomings and ill deeds are well-documented). But the issue here is that they believe and it was their intent to form this nation upon Christian priniciples, far contrary to Deicide's factually-bankrupt claims.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Do you mean deist?

Of course, why even ask?  ::)  ;D
S

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
John Adams

Letter to Zabdiel Adams, 21 June 1776:
Statesmen, my dear Sir, may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand. The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspired into our People in a greater Measure, than they have it now, they may change their Rulers and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting liberty.

Letter to Abigail Adams, 3 July 1776:
The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward for evermore.

Diary, 26 July 1796:
The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity, and humanity.

Address to the Military, 11 October 1798:
We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Benjamin Franklin

Letter to Messrs, the Abbes Chalut, and Arnaud, 17 April 1787:
Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.

Constitutional Convention, 1787:
In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a superintending Providence in our favor.… and have we not forgotten this powerful Friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance? I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: “that God governs in the affairs of man.” And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? …

I believe farther that this [new government under the Constitution] is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Thomas Jefferson

Notes on Virginia, 1782:
God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
George Washington

Circular letter of farewell to the Army, 8 June 1783:
I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Field, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility and pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation.

First Inaugural Address, 30 April 1789:
No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.

First Inaugural Address, 30 April 1789:
The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained.

Letter to General Assembly of Presbyterian Churches, May 1789:
While all men within our territories are protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of their consciences; it is rationally expected from them in return, that they will be emulous of evincing the sanctity of their professions by the innocence of their lives, and the beneficence of their actions: for no man, who is profligate in his morals, or a bad member of the civil community, can possibly be a true Christian, or a credit to his own religious society.

Farewell Address, 1796:
Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens.… And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.… Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
John Jay, one of the framers of the Constitution, was appointed by George Washington in 1789 to be the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States (and later served two terms as governor of New York). He wrote, in a private letter(1797) to clergyman Jedidiah Morse:

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.

It is to be regretted, but so I believe the fact to be, that except the Bible there is not a true history in the world. Whatever may be the virtue, discernment, and industry of the writers, I am persuaded that truth and error (though in different degrees) will imperceptibly become and remain mixed and blended until they shall be separated forever by the great and last refining fire."

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Actually, though at some point in his life he rejected Jesus' divinity and miracles, Thomas Jefferson was always a great admirer of Jesus, Jesus' life and teachings.  Thomas Jefferson went as far as to write his own version of the Gospels which simply took the four Biblical gospels and then took out all of Jesus' miracles and claims to divinity, but kept everything else about Jesus' life and teachings.  He even said that he admired Christianity's moral teachings and that, in that sense at least, he himself was a Christian.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
No one's trying to "Christianize" those former presidents. Those are their own words.

Certainly they are trying to Christianize them. If you have attended any speeches on these former presidents or watched the documentaries there is always the mentioning of these guys as being men of God or believing in God. However the bulk of them from Washington on were FREEMASONS (satanic worshipers) or outright atheist. Never is the MASONIC involvement mentioned in documentaries or book or lectures (as it would expose their real character) and again the actions of a person speaks volumes of their mindset and belief over what their mouth claims.

You were quick to use their quote to claim that they didn't believe in God. But, when faced with statements to the contrary from those same men (and others) you come up with this lame excuse.

There were no statements to the contrary. You spoke of Quincy Adams supposedly being a Christian I posted the quotes of other presidents who made it clear they had no belief in GOD or the founding of america on any Christian beliefs/foundation...re-read my post... no lame excuse only the truth.

No one claimed that they were perfect (their shortcomings and ill deeds are well-documented). But the issue here is that they believe and it was their intent to form this nation upon Christian priniciples, far contrary to Deicide's factually-bankrupt claims.

You are right...NO ONE IS PERFECT, but these blatant LIES being told on these men being CHRISTIAN is ludicrous to say the least. They have nothing to show that they followed a single Biblical commandment and plenty of facts showing they operated to the contrary. Operating on the contrary makes the claim of founding america on Christian values/principles becomes a FLAT OUT LIE. The MASONS tried to create a SATANIC homeland called america where they can worship their FALSE GOD and exercise all the ills of the occult practice that continues to this day: Bohemian Grove, Skull and Bones, Key and Scroll, Bilderbergs etc etc all SCREAM what america and its founders are really all about....
C