Author Topic: Tabata at the gym on a recumbent bike  (Read 5952 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Tabata at the gym on a recumbent bike
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:23:11 AM »
Johnnynoname, screw you ahole.  >:( 

I tried tabata at the gym tonight on a recumbent bike and only got through one and a half rounds.  :(  I know I'm in bad shape but come one... I was at least hoping to complete 4 rounds before feeling like my heart was gonna explode. 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: A message for Johnnynoname
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:32:23 AM »
Try it on a Concept 2 rower.
and keep moving!

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:31:56 AM »
Screw you ahole.  >:(  I tried tabata at the gym tonight on a recumbent bike and only got through one and a half rounds.  :(  I know I'm in bad shape but come one...I was at least hoping to complete 4 rounds before feeling like my heart was gonna explode. 

well, at least you know it is the real deal then haha

basically, just keep yourself at 1-2 rounds till next week, then add a round a week after that, so on and so forth

week 1  1-2 rounds
week2     2 rounds
week 3    3 rounds
week4     3-4 rounds
week 5     4 rounds
week 6    4-5 rounds
week 7     5 rounds
week 8     5-6 rounds
week 9     6-7 rounds
week 10    7- 8 rounds

....or something more abbreviated than that

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 01:33:54 AM »
well, at least you know it is the real deal then haha

basically, just keep yourself at 1-2 rounds till next week, then add a round a week after that, so on and so forth

week 1  1-2 rounds
week2     2 rounds
week 3    3 rounds
week4     3-4 rounds
week 5     4 rounds
week 6    4-5 rounds
week 7     5 rounds
week 8     5-6 rounds
week 9     6-7 rounds
week 10    7- 8 rounds

....or something more abbreviated than that
Thanks  :)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 01:52:22 AM »
One other thing to watch for, based on my experience (bear in mind I'm not in the kind of shape you fellows probably are).  Don't be too quick to move to the next level.  I found myself trying to increase the number of rounds too quickly.  What ended up happening was that I would "pace" myself rather than going all-out, and that defeated the purpose of tabata.  So I took a few steps back and am doing fewer intervals, but doing each one at max effort.
~

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 01:56:43 AM »
By rounds, do you mean 1 round = 4 mins (full tabata circuit), or 1 round = 20 secs all out?
No doubt about it...

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »
One other thing to watch for, based on my experience (bear in mind I'm not in the kind of shape you fellows probably are).  Don't be too quick to move to the next level.  I found myself trying to increase the number of rounds too quickly.  What ended up happening was that I would "pace" myself rather than going all-out, and that defeated the purpose of tabata.  So I took a few steps back and am doing fewer intervals, but doing each one at max effort.

words of wisdom, right there

By rounds, do you mean 1 round = 4 mins (full tabata circuit), or 1 round = 20 secs all out?

1 round (in this case)= 1 20 second sprint followed by the 10 second rest interval

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 02:01:16 AM »

I mean the all out part, not the full circuit.  I guess "interval" would have been a better word.  
~

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 02:01:58 AM »
Screw you ahole.  >:(  I tried tabata at the gym tonight on a recumbent bike and only got through one and a half rounds.  :(  I know I'm in bad shape but come one...I was at least hoping to complete 4 rounds before feeling like my heart was gonna explode. 

You must be in bad shape my calf brother.....
No doubt about it...

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 02:04:46 AM »

The good news is that the ass kicking you experienced probably did you more good than a lot of people in that gym received even though they "worked out" for an hour.
~

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 02:05:41 AM »
You must be in bad shape my calf brother.....
Quite bad indeed.  Although I did attempt it after 30 minutes walking on the treadmill, and my back and ab workout.  Maybe that is where I messed up?   :-\

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 02:06:32 AM »
someone will explain this tabata thing?

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 02:10:40 AM »

ummmm....hello...ever heard of google ::)

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 02:11:09 AM »
ummmm....hello...ever heard of google ::)

maybe i wanna keep this board alive ese?

Lurker79

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:48 AM »

20 seconds of all out sprinting (or burpees, jump rope, squats, whatever) followed by 10 seconds rest. Repeat this "set" seven more times, and you're done. Seems easy on paper but it will kill you. The trick is giving 100 hundred percent each time...the first time I did it I could only manage 5 times.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 04:23:53 AM »

If this is true then you should do some moderate cardio for awhile imo.  Jumping straight into max intensity from a state of poor fitness is unwise.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Tabata at the gym on a recumbent bike
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
For those who dont know what it is...

The basis of Tabata Training is 4 minutes of intense interval training. What you are doing is taking an exercise we'll use sprints as an example here.

Sprint as hard as you can for 20 seconds
Walk for 10 seconds
Repeat 7 more times for a total of 8 sets.
So what you have is a total of 4 minutes workout time.

Tabata Training can be done with a number of different exercises the idea is to use an exercise that gets the whole body involved or at least the major muscle groups.Tabata Training can be done with Barbells, Dumbells, Kettlebells or just Bodyweight exercises. I'll give you some other exercises and routines to try in a minute but first let me give you some background and how Tabatas work.

Tabata Training was developed by Izumi Tabata (imagine that) at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. They did a study on comparing the effects of moderate intensity endurance(aerobics) and high endurance intermittent training(tabata training intervals) on VO2 max and anerobic capacity.

To cut to the results of the study: the moderate intensity group training program produced a significant increase in VO2 max of about 10%, but had no effect on anaerobic capacity. The high intensity group improved their VO2 max by about 14% while anaerobic capacity improved by 28%. The study was done over a six week period. Both groups working out 5 days per week.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »

Even though this stuff can kick all our asses, 'tabata' is still a gay word, right? 

Jizzacked

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
I tried the burpee tabata session yesterday... it was my first time doing tabata or burpees for that matter and I gassed extremely quick.  it is going to take some work getting up to the full 8 rounds for sure.... this stuff is no joke.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »
she looks fantastic!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »
Even though this stuff can kick all our asses, 'tabata' is still a gay word, right? 

Yup...
I hate the State.

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »
Has anyone ever attempted to do more than 8 rounds. I often wonder is this the magic number or something. My brother today did a ninth, did he just fuck up his entire workout  ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »
she looks fantastic!

Nice legs there.

Corny workout tho.  Who couldn't manage that?