Author Topic: ufc news= brock larson looking for title run  (Read 644 times)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
ufc news= brock larson looking for title run
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:04:47 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 12, 2009
UFC NEWS: LARSON
Larson Prepared for Wilson; Hoping to Make Title Run
By Kelsey Mowatt

Brock Larson’s victorious return to the UFC in April, a first round submission win over Jesse Sanders at Fight Night 18, was certainly noticed by the sport’s keen observers, but in the grand scheme of things throughout the ever growing MMA world, it was somewhat glossed over. Perhaps it is an indication of the depth that the UFC welterweight roster now bolsters, as although Larson possesses an awe inspiring record of 25-2, went 4-1 in his recent WEC tenure, and has only lost to highly regarded fighters like Carlos Condit and Jon Fitch, few mainstream fans have been likely talking about the 31 year-old-fighter’s title shot ambitions.

Up next, however, Larson will be presented with a fine opportunity to help entrench his status in the UFC’s crowded 170lb. division, as the Minnesota native will take on the always tough Chris Wilson. Although Sanders carried an impressive record of 20-4 into his bout with Larson, not only was the bout his UFC debut, but the Extreme Challenge vet has not faced the level of competition that Wilson has.

“I’m always excited when a fight comes up and Chris Wilson’s a respected fighter and really tough,” Larson noted about Wilson, who he will fight May 23rd, at UFC 98. “So it gives me a good excuse to train my balls off and get ready for the fight.”

Since arriving in the UFC, Wilson has gone 1-2, earning high praise in a decision loss to Jon Fitch last March, as well as in his most recent Split Decision loss to John Bruno at UFC 94 in January. Wilson’s only Octagon win came last August, at UFC 87, when he worked his way to a Unanimous Decision over American Top Team’s Steve Bruno. In any case, throughout his career, which has seen Wilson compete for BodogFight, the International Fight League, and Sport Fight, he has furthered a reputation for being a well rounded fighter.

“I think just his toughness; his ability to hang in a fight, he’s really hard to finish,” said Larson, when asked for his thoughts about Wilson’s skill set. “His stand-up is probably the better part of his game, but his ground is also really dangerous too. He caught Fitch with a triangle, couldn’t finish it, but it was there. A lot of the things he presents are weird, very unorthodox, throws from weird angles. It’s going to be a really exciting fight.”

Although Larson is remaining focused on the task at hand, the veteran is keenly aware that a win over Wilson, could lead to a bout with one of the division’s more established fighters. After rising to title shot contention in the WEC, Larson will now hope to do the same back in Zuffa’s, now, larger than ever, UFC.

“The WEC was great, they treated us very well,” said a reflective Larson. “Except I believe I would have been their next champ, as I believe I would have beat Condit. All that aside though, now I’m back in the big show, with all the big boys, so it’s exciting because the division is stacked with talent, and it’s a good opportunity to move up the ranks. It’s good, because I want to let everyone know that I’m ready for the challenge.”

“My goal is to get past this one, get past Chris with the win, and take someone on in the top ten,” Larson added, who has been preparing for the bout with several notable fighters in Minnesota, including former UFC lightweight champ Sean Sherk. “I want to break into the rankings and tear things up a little bit in the UFC.”
R