Author Topic: Rheo Blair Protein/Supplement Evolution  (Read 101544 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Rheo Blair Protein/Supplement Evolution
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Stuntmovie, glad I could fill in the names for you.

I only had two phone conversations with Mr. Janis, never met him in person. The only way I know of Mr. Metz was an article about him and the IronMan gym in Dan Lurie's Muscle Training Illus. in the 80's. MTI also did an article about a seminar that Ty Youngs (Mr. Yorton's NBBA winner) did at the IronMan. I do know that Mr. Metz sold the gym to a guy named C.C. Sanders, who also promoted physique shows in the North County.

I must admit the 60's were at least a decade before my time, but I have had many fine conversations with men who trained here in the San Diego area. I believe the man you are referring to with the leg injuries is Big John McWilliams. I had an older gym member of mine who trained with him at the North Park Health Club in the 60's. He was the club manager and from what I was told trained a lot of the SD Charger football players, including John Kemp. I have heard two, now three stories on how he injured his legs. One is war injuries, two is yours about the chainsaw and three, which Dr. A on IronAge forum states, from an industrial accident. Years ago Mr. George Coates (former IM writer) lent me all the photos the Mr. Stern took of him, he is always wearing long pants. There is one famous image of him that appeared in IM magazine in the late 50's that shows his right arm flexed which looks like a bowling ball . He has been given credit for having the first true 20" arm.

I have to make an appointment this morning but will continue with the Mission Beach question later this evening.
Be safe and strong,
Pat
it was said of john mcwilliams that he drank lots of water and used to pray that most of it would go yo his arms...

F

Big Pat

• Getbig II
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »
Thank you Funk51 for posting the image of Mr. McWilliams.

I would have thought that image was later than 1950! I guess he had Leroy Colbert beat by a long shot to the 20 inch mark.

For Stuntmovie, the only gym in Mission Beach that I ever knew of was Bud Keith's Health House. It was just North of the Big Dipper roller coaster at Belmont Park. I correspond with a guy in New York years ago when I was selling vintage physique magazines who lived with a relative every summer and trained at the Health House (60's). He said it was the best time of his life and related about all the "interesting characters" that lifted and enjoyed the beach. I know the guy who bought Mr. Keith's equipment when he vacated the location (1980 or so). The Health House became Hamel's Sports, that sells beach items and rents bikes and skates. The Hamel's brother also sponsored the annual Mr/Miss. Mission Beach contests on a upper deck that faces the ocean. The most popular bar that I know of in the area is the Pennant, but that is located South of the end of Belmont Park.

As for the Gold's gym in Pacific Beach, I once talked with a man named Paul Eddny(Sp) who was a NPC judge at one time. I don't know, but I think he was the first franchise owner of the gym.

I have always been fortunate to have a well equipment home gym and other than Mr. Stern's or Mr. Fisher's gyms I have trained at home. Like I said earlier, San Diego is very rich in training history and I am glad to have seen and experienced some of it

I always look forward to your posts as I learn so much about the history of muscle building here in California.

Be safe and strong,

Pat

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2010, 10:28:31 PM »
Thanks, Pat!

The 60's San Diego bodybuilder I referred to earlier was definitely not John McWilliams, but I find it interesting that Mr X and Mr McWilliams possibly had similar leg accidents with a chainsaw.

But I do believe that the Health House owner was the person who promoted those fitness events during some of the summer weekends in the 60's. If I recall correctly Health House was a small beach-front home with small rooms that was converted to a gym.

I know Paul Edney very well. He had the Gold's Gym in Oceanside before he moved to Hawaii and the last time we communicated, he was running a military gym in Afghanistan. Before that he was taking bit parts in various Hollywood movies and appeared as one of the survivors in that highly rated but wierd TV show filmed in Hawaii which I never watched.

The California bodybuilding world was very small back then and I honestly think I have met and shaken hands with way over 70% of the individuals who lifted in earnest back then and over 90% of those individual who published legit bodybuilding and power and olympic lifting magazines including Dan Lauri, Bob Hoffman and John Terpak,  Joe and Ben Weider, Bob Kennedy, Jeff Everson (Cory loves me and I'm Jeff's only fan!), Mike Lambert, and Perry and Mabel Raider.

I gotta admit though that meeting each of the above occured over a long period of time when the "gym/lifting/muscle business" was so damn small that we could have all gathered for lunch in a small town McDonald's.

No one back then expected what's happening at present.

But that's the truth of just about everything we take for granted today.

Everything and everybody were so much different way back then!

Thanks again Pat!

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »
T NATION: It seems like some people were writing about steroids in the '40s, but it wasn't until the late '50s when they were introduced to athletes.

RR: They weren't writing about them in the iron game in the 1940s. Paul de Kruif wrote The Male Hormone in 1945, singing the praises of Methyltestosterone and Testosterone replacement for those medically in need. There were some inklings about, "Well, what could it do for a healthy person?"

I know Irvin Johnson [who later changed his name to Rheo Blair] had possession of Nilivar between 1956 and '58, when it just came out.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »
Whoohh I havnt been on Getbig in around a month or so, didnt realize all this action that has taken place on this thread. 

I'll read through and digest it all.  Thanks to stunt movie and everyone else for taking the time to tell these stories!!! 

When you think about it we are a small "sub culture" for lack of a better term.  You guys that experienced this stuff first hand are an excellent source of info and there are those of us that do like to hear how it all went down.  Thanks again!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »
Thanks for your comments, Pac and Former. I'll do my best to continue but at the moment I'm pressed for time due to family matters and the pending holiday season.

But .... one of Ed Corney's original training partners has asked me to write about those days in Northern California and tell the tales about Mallard Williamson of MLO fame, Mike Dayton who hung himself frequently, Jack Dillinger, Ralph Countryman, Bob's Gym in Fremont, and others .... and then continue on concerning his association with the So Cal contingents.

But before that I should mention the days of Pearl, Wayne Bouvier, Don Howorth, Pete Lupus, Gene Mozee, Norm Marks, Reg Park, Reg and Sheri Lewis, Arti Zeller,  John Corvello, Larry Scott. Bill McArdle, Bill Smith, Arnold, Franco, Draper, Zane, Paul Anderson, etc., etc.

(Jott'n all the above down for memory notes)

Any questions regarding these old days and old 'lifters' would be appreciated. I'll answer them if I can and won't if I can't. I'm bad at recalling dates so correct me if you can catch me reporting incorrect time periods.

More later if the interest continues.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2010, 04:42:01 AM »
More later if the interest continues.

Definitely!
Let's keep this thread going.
One of us will bump it after the holidays.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »
Stuntman:  Driving down from San Jose (after the long Thanksgiving) took a quick side trip to visit the Unk's in West Hollywood. Only saw one, the other was in Pago Pago. The one in Hollywood was not too familiar with San Diego/Oceanside gyms..didn't ask why.. Though he thought the Marine base backed some BB'ing/lifting shows around there. The Unk's mostly did their deeds in LA/beach/Valley.  The Valley had quite a few lifters among some of the biker gangs(and want to be's) in the 60-70's. Usually started when doing joint time and carried through to the outside, but no more weights in prison anymore. Told that Don Howorth (extra wide delts, great arms) got messed up with the Angels or Mongols,  running smack and did a little joint time himself. Any truth to that I wonder?

Didn't get to go by the Rossmore Arms. Vine St becomes Rossmore after it crosses Melrose Ave. The apartments are across the street from the Catholic church, so you could do a Google/Microsoft street view if wanting to see how they look. I lived about three blocks away (with a former girlfriend) from that area for a short while. Sorry about the pic.

Heard that there was a famous BB'er by the name of Chuck Spies (spelling totally wrong I bet), from  NoCal who became a preacher. Later hung himself over a teen age girl?  Exceptional strong guy. True story?

Keep the good stuff up, I'm somewhat a student of most history. Some of those names you bring up, I haven't a clue, but all interesting .
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »
Stuntman:  Driving down from San Jose (after the long Thanksgiving) took a quick side trip to visit the Unk's in West Hollywood. Only saw one, the other was in Pago Pago. The one in Hollywood was not too familiar with San Diego/Oceanside gyms..didn't ask why.. Though he thought the Marine base backed some BB'ing/lifting shows around there. The Unk's mostly did their deeds in LA/beach/Valley.  The Valley had quite a few lifters among some of the biker gangs(and want to be's) in the 60-70's. Usually started when doing joint time and carried through to the outside, but no more weights in prison anymore. Told that Don Howorth (extra wide delts, great arms) got messed up with the Angels or Mongols,  running smack and did a little joint time himself. Any truth to that I wonder?

Didn't get to go by the Rossmore Arms. Vine St becomes Rossmore after it crosses Melrose Ave. The apartments are across the street from the Catholic church, so you could do a Google/Microsoft street view if wanting to see how they look. I lived about three blocks away (with a former girlfriend) from that area for a short while. Sorry about the pic.

Heard that there was a famous BB'er by the name of Chuck Spies (spelling totally wrong I bet), from  NoCal who became a preacher. Later hung himself over a teen age girl?  Exceptional strong guy. True story?

Keep the good stuff up, I'm somewhat a student of most history. Some of those names you bring up, I haven't a clue, but all interesting .
chuck sipes well known bber,artist,strongman,lumberjack, heard he trained in his garage. pic in a weider ad
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2010, 12:33:12 PM »
JPM and anyone else who may be interested,

San Jose! WOW! …. As a kid I used to drive with my dad down to San Jose and have lunch on the train depot bench …. And that was just about all there was of much interest in San Jose back then.

Driving back north after that short lunch-stop we’d pass dozens of small shacks along the road selling cherries.

And on some occasions we’d take the Skyline Road route back to the city of San Francisco and stop off at the Peanut Shack (Peanut Farm?) and have a cold bottle of Coca~Cola while my dad has his normal Four Roses and 7-Up.

That place was only there due to the proximity of Stanford University and it’s faculty and underage students mostly.

I’m surprised you didn’t drive east for an hour or so and pick up Highway 5 for the straight shot into Los Angeles once you’re over the Grapevine.

You took the long but more picturesque route but it’s good to see that you made it to your designation in West Hollywod.

Your uncle is correct about the Camp Pendleton lifting/BB events we held back then.

And I also spent a lot of time in “the Valley”, but those were the days when that entire “Valley” was mostly large and small scale horse ranches where the stunt guys kept their ‘ponies’ and practiced falling on the weekends in an effort to be ready for their next movie ‘gig’.

You uncles might recall a TV show called, “Spin and Marty” (a Disney Production if I recall correctly) and in that show there was an old sway-back horse who appeared in just about every episode.

One of the stunt guys I associated with back then owned that old sway-back horse and retired him once that TV series was over.
He bought that horse the nicest, green grassed field he could find and put him out to pasture.

That old horse made him enough money to retire himself in a decent ranch-house abode right next door to his old horse’s place.

We used to go out there and work the horses and many of those horses made their initial appearances in “The Virginian” and “How the West Was One”, but as far as I know – not a one of them got screen credits – neither above or below the title.

I’m proud to say that I knew a good number of those old horses before they hit the silver screen!

I never did meet Trigger though!

Ask your uncles if they do recall those good old days and if they can recall “Spin and Marty” and that old sway-backed horse that every Disney kid grew to love.

The stunt guys owned their own bar on Ventura Boulevard back then and there was always some wild-assed thing going on in that place. And most of the stunt guys had their own Harley’s and those are probably more than likely the 'gangs' your uncle remembers. I don’t recall any Hell’s Angels stopping by to pay a visit, but it wouldn’t have been unlikely. They surely would have been welcomed with open arms and maybe an occasional punch in the nose .... but always  followed by a round of 'cheer' for one and all.

Many drinks were on the house after a few tough guys hit the floor but ...... No-one ever left that place without a shit-load of new found friends. (Especially if you rode a bike!)

(I think I told the story about all the stunt guys barrowing all the necessities from the studios which were closed on weekends .. and making motorcycle movies of their own and then returning all the gear back to its proper place before everyone showed up back to work on Monday morn. I was the dead guy on the highway more than once. I also kind of recall telling the story about my visit to Errol Flynn’s love-nest-pad long after he had passed away and meeting with his son and the top stunt guys in the biz to plan for next weekend’s shoot.)

Those were damn good days and times well spent.

AND YES! I did know Don Howorth. Not well but we did cross baths on a few occasions. He was known for having the biggest delts in the business and always showed up at various functions wearing long sleeve cashmir sweaters.

I don’t have personal knowledge about his past incarceration but I believe he was arrested while transferring drugs from one place to another while he was a member of some motorcycle ‘club’.

That’s hearsay though.

And Chuck Sipes! Yep, I met him also but I don’t recall the circumstances and anything I say about Chuck here is based on fading memory banks, so don’t rely on this as the Gospel truth!

If I recall correctly, Chuck was from Ione, California and a friend of mine once told me that Chuck worked for the Preston School industry as a counselor for misguided kids. And that job even-tually led to a counselor with the Stockton Youth Authority.

He was a great water-skier and sailor and ran the 100 year dash in Modesto Jr College. (All this information from someone who knew Chuck at that time.)

Regarding Chuck’s death, there are a couple of conflicting stories – one or both of which may be true. I do know old timers who knew Chuck pretty well and I plan on giving them a call to get the facts.

Next post – I’m hoping to get back on track and restart my memory in some form of historically accurate order; but first I gotta reread this stuff to see where I left off.

If interested … Stand by to stand by. Or as the old saying goes … “Hurry up and wait!” or “Duck down! I think I heard a shot!”.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
I GOTTA ADD THIS about the Stunt guys back then ....

I don't know how it is today but back then the Stuntmen were the movie industry heros.

If some big shot movie personality was having some personal or well publicized problems, the studio head would more than likely call on one of the stunt guys to quietly solve the problem because these guys were reliable, dependable, and tough as shit. And they also knew how to keep their mouth shut when things got a bit too out of hand.

I was never involved in one of those 'out of hand' excursions but I was involved in a few that the present day Paparazzi would pay me enough for a great retirement., but the only Paparazzi back then was an old lady and her nemesis who would send you a complimentary dinner at the Brown Derby if you ever ratted someone out!

On one occasion that I can speak of ... I actually held an OSCAR (that Academy Award statue) in my hands in order to prevent it from being used as a murder weapon ....  or an attempt of using it as such.

Just wanted to say that if the studio heads wanted any situation to be handled properly in an effort to save the reputation of a big screen star, they'd call my best friend first and then some big time detective if he and his friends were up in the hills making motorcycle movies with 'barrowed stuff'.

My hat is off to all you guys and gals! I know you're reading this to see if I "impolitely" mention you  .... and if and when I fuck up!

And to make tis somewhat bodybuilding related , the only movie persons who resembled a bodybuilder back then was Bill Smith and  Woody Strode but definitely nothing like the pros today.

Bill Smith below .... Gotta find a good pic of Woody.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
William/Bill Smith was said to be a top arm wrestling guy. And pretty impressive doing heavy reverse BB curls. Worked out at Gironda's for quite a few years. Robert Blake worked out there about the same time.. Smith was the king of "B" biker movies for awhile. Told he spoke Russian and some other languages very well when in the Air Force. Could have been a "A" list action star but rumored to have a drinking problem.

Yeah stuntmen were known to be off the wall, a rare breed. Lots of time on their hands. Gironda was a stuntman, as was his father before him. A few stunt women were known to out drink some of the stuntmen. In the old days stuntmen used to dress like women to take their falls, fights, etc. Westerns gave the stuntmen an the opportunity to get a good paying job. If you could ride a horse (goes for any actor also) you got a gig. Later on it was bikes.

Did find out that Chuck Spies was an excellent bencher and all around strongman. Bending iron bars, etc. Guess he really did hang himself after leaving his wife for that teenage girl. The girl did leave him after awhile herself. Reason he took his own life I have been told. Also heard that Howorth was more a mule than an actual member of any gang. Easy money if you got the balls. Quite a few biker clubs/bars in The Valley. Mexican, black, white trash and even mixed bloods. Lot of AK47's out and about the Valley these days. No gang has actually used any, yet.

Driving home from San Jose I go south to Gilroy, than east on the Pacheco Pass to the 5. South on the 5,  over the Grapevine, where I usually take the 210 east to the 15, all the way home to Escondido. This time I took the 5 straight thought from the Grapevine to Burbank, Glendale and than Hollywood. Present day San Jose is one very cool place. Sunnyvale, Los Gatos, Mountain View, Campbell, etc all included. If you like hot Asian women, like in San Diego, that's where you want to be.

F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »
JPM, I don't recall having ever met Bill Smith personally but I had heard his name mentioned a number of times around the Universal lot before he became known for his role in Rich Man. Poor Man.... but those Grade "B" motorcycle movies you mentioned might possibly have been the very same motorcycle movies the guys were making on their weekend days off with the ' borrowed equipment ' from the studio/studios.

I was involved on a very very small scale, but I never did see one of those bike flicks which eventually were shown as 2nd features in drive-in theaters and also shown throughout the Far East. But now that you mentioned that BILL SMITH was in them, I might be able to do some research on IMDB.com and look for my Academy overlooked scene as the dead guy on the pavement.

I don't know if you recall THE VIRGINIAN TV series, but a lot of the stuntmen and women got their start on that show thanks to Jim Drury who starred in it with Doug McClure and others. I was sometimes used as the dummy whose head was used to test the break-a-ways (bottles made from sugar if I do recall) to make sure that they did break-a-way when the camera rolled.

I also got hit by a few chairs in a wild west set but didn't feel a thing. Never did appear on that series though.

Sorry! Getting off track once again .... but Bill was strong and did train at Vince's as you stated.

As for Woody Strode ....l'm not sure he lifted. I think he was mostly 'genetics', but I could be wrong.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »
Stuntman

Woody Strode played football at UCLA. Though I may be wrong, I believe he was an All American at the time (1950's?) and played end (that's what they called it way back than). Remember because I took a high school recruiting trip up to Westwood my senior year. His picture and honors were on the wall. Believe also he wrestled a bit (Pro). Impressed me at the time because he was in one of my favorite classic westerns (The Professionals) and had seen him in other flicks. Doubt if he lifted, just one of those natural muscular men. Lifting for any sport (back in his day) was taboo by coaches.

Keith should know about arm wrestling and Bill Smith. Don't know Smiths age but he must be close to 70 now.

Your probably right about making those weekend productions on borrowed equipment.They could make a lot of money with the drive-in people, which a lot of was down south.  Lot of stuff had locations in the Newhall/Saugus ares of the north valley way back than. Outdoor/indoor porno film said to have been started out there. Even in the Hollywood hills and the  canyons around there I have been told. Still a somewhat a lonely & rugged area even now.
F

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2010, 10:14:30 AM »
Gayer than bodybuilding historians.

http://rheohblair.blogspot.com/

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
JPM, as I stated earlier ... I never did meet Bill Smith personally and I don't recall ever being on one of the sets he was working on but I can tell ya that he was highly respected by everyone I ever met at Universal.

I did some IMDB searching and found out that he worked on more than 300 movie and TV shows and some of the following facts may be of interest ....

Lifetime Achievement Award from Academy of Bodybuilding and Fitness
Record-holder for reverse-curling his own body weight.
Two Time Arm Wrestling World Champion-200lb class-Petaluma, CA. (I'm sure that this took place at Gilardi's Bar in Petaluma which is supposedly where it all started. Keith can clarify this.)
Served in the Airforce, National Security Agency, during the Korean War.
Graduated UCLA Cum Laude.
He was the Marlboro Man in the final televised Marlboro commercial.
Fluent in English, Russian, German, French, Serbo-Croatian.
Competed as a downhill skier in AAU events at Mammoth Mountain
Competed in motocross events with Steve McQueen and doubled as one of the track riders in C.C. and Company (1970).
Had a 31-1 record as an amateur boxer
Held the Air Force Light-Heavyweight Weightlifting Championship
Performed over 5,100 continuous sit-ups over a five hour period
Played semi-pro football for the Wiesbaden Flyers in Germany
Has a Masters Degree in Russian and taught Russian Language Studies at UCLA in the late 1950s.
Won a Muscle Beach contest by performing 35 inverted handstand dips
Honorary member of the Stuntmen's Association of Motion Pictures.
Direct descendant of Western figures Kit Carson and Daniel Boone.
Bruce Lee personally offered Smith the co-lead in Enter the Dragon (1973), but another film went over schedule and John Saxon stepped into the role.
Filmed an eight-minute test pilot portraying Caine for the TV series "Kung Fu" (1972), wearing prosthetic eyepieces to make him appear chinese. The network wanted Smith for the role, but producer Jerry Thorpe ultimately deemed him too muscular and menacing.
Studied kung fu for eight years with Jimmy Woo and kenpo karate master Ed Parker.
Stunt doubled for former Tarzan Lex Barker while living in France.
Turned down the role of Tarzan at MGM.
Training partner of first Mr. Olympia, Larry Scott.
Fought California wildfires in the early 1950s
Worked as a lifeguard on the French Riviera
Worked as a trainer at Bert Goodrich's Hollywood Gym
Child actor in both "A" and "B" movies of the 1940s. He stated in a horror magazine that during breaks on the set of The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), star Lon Chaney Jr., treated all of the children on the set to ice cream.
Threw the discus 151 feet at a time when the top AAU distance was 150.6 feet.
Won the Light-Heavyweight German-Austrian Boxing Championship while in the service.
In 1942's The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), he plays the boy who throws the little girl's ball to the top of the roof. This role marks the first of his many appearances as a villain.
Has a master's degree in Russian.
His favorite writer is Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Recipient of the 2008 Silver Spur Award.
Recipient of the 2005 Southern California Motion Picture Council Award.
Inducted into the Venice Muscle Beach Bodybuilding Hall of Fame 2010.

BILL SMITH: If you are reading this, I was Jack Tyree's best man at his second wedding in LV. I believe you remember Jack. (Stunts Unlimited or Stuntman's Association with Jim Drury and "The Virginian" TV crew) . Jack passed away while filming a jump for "The Sword and the Sorceror". His first wedding was held in the 'diving tank' on the Universal lot. I was asked to be best man in that wedding also but I was in the USMC participating in a war someplace. It would be interesting to hear those early day back lot stories if you would want to contribute. I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to shake your hand back then. Thanks if you can contribute to this 'discussion'.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
Former, thanks for the link to that interesting article.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »
Finalllly I got a chance to go through everything on this thread.  My apologies, as sometimes I go weeks without getting a chance to get on this site. 

Thank you though Stuntmovie!! Very cool to read a lot of this stuff and I’m able to gain some new perspective on this industry.  Appreciate you taking the time to tell these stories.

ronrico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2011, 10:43:05 AM »
Stuntmovie, thanks for all the great memories. Do you recall the name of the bar on Ventura blvd that some of the stuntmen owned? or where it was. Thanks.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2011, 08:05:51 PM »
credit: http://rheohblair.blogspot.com/p/document-rheo-blair-supplement-brochure.html

Rheo Blair Supplement Brochure:

This primary document is the complete text (minus size/price options and contact information) of a supplement handout Rheo Blair produced sometime between the late 1970's and 1983. It was a two sided 8.5 X 11 piece. This brochure contains only a portion of the supplements he produced and sold under his label. The others he offered only to his private clients as those supplements were typically more specific and expensive. His Amino Acids in free form are the best (and most expensive) example. In 1978, a 1000 capsule bottle sold for $572. He also offered individual amino acids, individual B vitamins, etc. This list also does not contain his protein powders of which there were many public and private versions over the years, the latter more expensive, not white in color, and available exclusively to his private clients. These latter were often mixed in his office by him or an assistant when a private client dropped by to make a purchase. When someone tells me Rheo Blair's protein is/was/may become available by certain parties, my reaction is always "Really? Which formula?" I have yet to get an answer to that question. But that is a subject for a future discussion. Back to the supplements. In reading these descriptions, one senses both his nutritional genius and his marketing savvy.  

"WHAT IS UNUSUAL ABOUT BLAIR SUPPLEMENTS?"

"They’re not made just to have something to sell! In the beginning they were made for my own personal use and shared with my very close friends. They are shared more widely now as celebrities and physical culture champions and their friends experience outstanding results when these formulas are combined with the BLAIR PROGRAM.

Blair formulas combine the best in body cell nutrients proven helpful in our own researches over 32 years and the work of medical centers, hospitals and universities here and abroad. We work exclusively with individual people so we are interested in results, that is, better physical efficiency through effective nutrition. An athlete must have a healthy heart, a bodybuilder an efficient liver function, an actor or other artists a well-nourished brain and nervous system. Whether we’re working with a sports personality or a T.V. celebrity, the Blair supplements are the best we know how to make to supply organ cell nutrients and other body cell nutrients to support the nutrition of those who are looking for the best!

B COMPLEX Three capsules a day supply 1,695 mg. of ALL the B-Complex factors, offered in what we consider proper and balanced proportions. Balanced in lipotropic factors, choline and inositol, which we feel may be important to proper liver function. Includes extra factors to assist assimilation, in easy-to-swallow capsules for quick dispersion in the stomach.

CHOLINE PLUS Our unusual lipotropic formula, high in factors that assist the handling of lipids (fats). Two capsules contain 1,150 mg. choline bitartrate, 150-mg. calcium pantothenate, 60 mg. pyridoxin (B-6), 250 mg. inositol and 30-mg. para-aminobenzioc acid (PABA). Should be used with
Blair’s B-COMPLEX to maintain the important balance among B-family factors.

LIVER EXTRACT This is an extract requiring many pounds of whole, raw beef liver, thoroughly chopped and pressed under great pressure, leaving only a grey solid mass and the extracted juice which is then quickly vacuum- dried and encapsulated. Each capsule offers 500-mg. of liver fractions, processed at low temperature and tested salmonella-free. Contains only the extracted water-soluble nutrients for which liver itself is famous, offered in “free-form,” ready for almost immediate absorption in the blood.

IRON PLUS Chelated iron, plus other chelated minerals including copper, manganese, Zinc, etc. in what we consider the proper proportions. Each capsule supplies 1,000 mcg. Of biotin as well as Vitamin B-12 and ten other important nutrients to give a synergistic action beyond reproach. You’ll be pleased with this unusual hematinic, mineral formula.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
"MORE ABOUT THOSE UNUSUAL BLAIR SUPPLEMENTS"

IOCEN Natural, organic iodine extreacted from the sea vegetable DULSE and offered in a medicine-dropper bottle for easy Administration. Adequate iodine intake is important to support thyroid function.

LECITHIN A natural raw crude lecithin. Each three capsules contain 3,600 mg. Soya lecithin offering 102 mg. choline, 54 mg. inositol, 1,440 mg. linoleic acid and 9 mg. linolenic acid all as naturally occurring in raw, crude lecithin.

CALCIUM P-f and CALCIUM PLUS This pair of calcium formulas contains vitamin C, Vitamin D and hydrochloric acid for a synergistic action which aids in calcium metabolism. NO bone meal, NO egg shell & phosphorus-free. These formulas contain calcium from three different natural (food salt) sources (citrate, gluconate and lactate) and like most Blair supplements are offered in easy-to-swallow capsule form rather than the common hard-to-swallow tablets which may not dissolve and therefore may never release their valuable nutrients. CALCIUM PLUS is the non- constipating form and may help irregularity. CALCIUM P-F is for those who have no elimination problem.

SOYBRO Each capsule contains 6 minims or 360 milligrams of fractions from Crude germ oils which we feel play a significant role in a whole nutritional program. SOYBRO offers these fractions in convenient  capsule form. Blair students who have the budget for it take as many as 30 of these capsules daily. A 14-to-1 fractionation (one unit of SOYBRO offers the fractions available in fourteen units of the whole  oils) from crude rice germ oil, crude wheat germ oil and crude Soya germ oil to furnish essential lipids without excess fats. 

VITAMIN A A truly natural Vitamin A. Each perle contains 10,000 U.S.P. units of Vitamin A from fish liver oil.

COD LIVER OIL Only pure natural and organic Cod Liver Oil from natural sources. Four capsules daily furnish 40 minims of natural Cod Liver Oil, offering 5,000 U.S.P. units of Vitamin A with 540 U.S.P. units of Vitamin D.

VITAMIN C A super-strength Vitamin C providing 500 milligrams per tablet. If an average orange contains 30 milligrams of Vitamin C, then one of these tablets would offer the “C” from over 15 oranges!  Coal tar free, synthesized from natural food sources by deep-vat fermentation process. Special-shaped tablet for easy swallowing.

BIO – PLUS The most active bioflavonoids that money can buy! Each capsule contains 500-mg. Lemon bioflavonoids with hesperidin, 50 mg. rutin and 150 mg. Vitamin C.

VITAMIN E – 400 All-natural Vitamin E derived from vegetable oils, providing 400 I.U. d-alpha tocopherol, plus mixed tocopherols (delta, beta, gamma) which have been found to be important anti-oxidants. Also Available in E-100 and E-200 strengths."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »
I found the above interesting.
I was not aware that Johnson had a "special line" of supplements for his "private clients."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »
credit: http://rheohblair.blogspot.com/p/blairs-protein-way-of-life-note-this-is_29.html

Document: Blair's Protein Way of Life

Note: this is from an original copy which I am in possession of.  Rheo Blair was single-handedly responsible for "inventing" the protein powder supplement and bringing it to the public in the early 1950's. Needless to say, he spawned an enormous industry. So, he is known first and foremost for his protein powders, of which there were many versions over the years.  The "Protein Way of Life" is something Rheo Blair came up with to give to his many customers who purchased the powders that they might have available to them a complete set of instructions on the PROPER ways to use his protein supplement, which was critical in order for it to be most effective. To just buy the powder and then mix it with whatever and whenever was useless. To achieve results, there were many specific "hows" and "whens." This document details those. It had to be mixed with certain things, i.e. milk and cream, in certain proportions. It had to be consumed in small quantities throughout the day, everyday. This could become monotonous -- believe me, I know this from personal experience. So there are variations on flavoring options, with or without fruit, shake or pudding, etc. When people followed the steps outlined in this document, WITH the rest of his program -- supplements, sleep, hydrotherapy, specific dietary guidelines (though the protein accounted for MOST of one's diet when working with Rheo) and modest exercise, the results obtained were dramatic and sometimes almost unbelievable. Please note regarding this latter that it was just as important to fully follow the rest of his system as it was to use the protein supplement in the proper manner if one wanted results -- CW.

How to mix the protein drink
A man normally uses the 1/3-cup measuring scoop filled level with Blair's Instant Protein (or the 1/4-cup scoop filled heaping) mixed with a glassful of liquid. A lady normally uses the 1/4-cup scoop filled level. Using the blender, a man mixes four of the 1/3-cup scoopfuls (same as one and one third cupfuls) to the quart; a lady uses four 1/4-cup scoopfuls, or a cupful, to the quart.

The 1/4-cup scoop filled level with protein equals approximately 18 grams of protein; mixed with a glassful of half-and-half it comes to about 26 grams. The 1/3-cup scoop filled level (or the 1/4-cup scoop filled heaping) yields about 24 grams of protein; mixed with a glassful of half-and-half it's approximately 32 grams of protein.

The preferred liquid for mixing the protein is half-and-half, and for a good reason. Nature seems to indicate that protein and fat should be taken in even balance. Milk with 3% protein is balanced with an equal amount of fat. Likewise eggs, meat, etc.

Blair's Instant Protein is extracted from milk and eggs without this normally occurring fat; both eggs and milk were defatted in processing. Whole milk is normally balanced by itself, so if we mix the protein with milk we throw off this natural balance. However, by mixing the protein with half whole milk and half heavy cream we restore some of the fat removed during processing and we achieve a product more normally balanced as to proportions of protein and fat.

Remember, you are not actually drinking half-and-half when you follow this suggestion. The protein with half-and-half makes a "milk" drink which is equivalent to whole milk in the balance of protein and fat. It is thick and creamy because it is concentrated.

The "half-and-half" sold by most dairies is not a true "one half" plus "one half" but it can be used. We prefer to mix our own, using one-half whole milk and one-half heavy (whipping) cream. We recommend using raw milk and raw cream if it is available.

Do not be alarmed that we suggest using cream, for cream is not necessarily fattening for all people. By eliminating from the diet the high carbohydrate foods (those high in starch and sugar) you may find the body uses fats for a superior source of energy. Fats in the diet often tend to burn off accumulated body fat.

This protein drink made with half-and-half is delicious and tasty, especially if you make sure that the milk and cream are VERY COLD!

(For other liquids to use in mixing the protein, see WEIGHT WATCHERS on page five and VARIATIONS, page six <below>)

Additions to the protein drink:

When you wish to flavor the mixture, you may add some vanilla or other favorite flavoring. Whatever flavoring you care to add, Blair's protein always tastes like melted ice cream. Notice that we offer three good flavorings (see Blair's order blank)

If you wish, you may add a raw egg or two to the glassful of protein drink to provide a higher biological value. A whole egg adds about six grams of protein. We recommend that you use the whole egg, both yolk and white, and fertile if possible.

When you wish to make the mixture thicker or more like an ice cream malt, try adding some ice milk cubes. Just put milk or half-and-half in the ice cube tray and freeze. Adding a few cubes to the blender mixture keeps it cold and improves both texture and taste.

For the addition of oils, see VARIATIONS on last page.

HOW TO DRINK THE PROTEIN DRINK
The way you get this protein mixture into the stomach is important. Mistakes at this point can spell disappointing results. The protein drink is never to be gulped. It is to be sipped slowly. Some persons should take at least 30 minutes to get the glassful swallowed.

The same goes for milk, which ought always to be sipped slowly, taking fifteen minutes to sip a glassful. To make it easier, use a straw and pinch the end together. This puts milk into the stomach at the same rate a baby does, and that is the best way.

Now, we don't suggest sitting and looking at the drink for thirty minutes! Sip it slowly while you keep busy at other things like getting ready in the morning, working, studying, working out, etc.

You might do as Don Howorth does. First thing in the morning he would mix or pour the protein drink and start sipping. Then he'd shower and sip some more. After shaving, some more. After thirty minutes or so he's ready to sip the last and start the day's work.

This slow sipping is important. Many people I meet do not have the ability to digest foods as efficiently or to metabolize them as readily as they should. Putting foods into the stomach slowly helps to handle them more efficiently.

The way you use water and other liquids can also influence digestive efficiency. Try to get at least eight glassfuls of liquid each day (including your protein drinks). But avoid taking large amounts of water with meals as this may seriously dilute the digestive juices.

Rather, sip water between feedings, taking one or two PEPTAIN HCL tablets to help maintain the level of stomach acids. If you are trying to gain weight, try sipping milk (with Peptain) between meals instead of water.

Take Smaller Feedings
The protein drink makes a full meal; nothing else need be taken with it. It is important that we learn to take small feedings and to take them oftener. That is why we do not recommend three meals a day. Better to take protein snacks slowly all day long, in five or seven (or even ten) small feedings. This tends to encourage more efficient handling of our food. With this discipline we may possibly eat less in volume and still receive more real nourishment.

The stomach is normally the size of the two fists put together. When we are eating small meals, the stomach tends to shrink back to its normal size. For better handling of food, try never to fill the stomach more than 2/3 full. Take only the equivalent of a 6-or 8-ounce glassful in volume at a time.

You may wish to keep a pitcherful of the protein mixture in the refrigerator or carry a thermos so you can have protein available at all times. Sip it as regularly as possible while working or studying. This can take the place of several of your meals or all of them, as you wish. By the way, our 5-cup plastic shaker is very handy to keep a supply of protein ready and sealed at all times.

Those just starting the high protein diet should use smaller amounts to begin with and gradually increase the daily intake over several weeks. This gives the body a chance to increase its efficiency in digestion and assimilation so that it can handle greater amounts of this important life-giving substance.

We have found that when one increases the protein intake he may want to decrease the amount of potatoes and bread and cereals, as well as of salads and vegetables in the diet. These other foods take a secondary place to protein and they should not be allowed to displace protein in the digestive tract.

We feel that some people can handle more protein and handle it more efficiently in the proper length of time when they include an appropriate amount of the protein digestant, Peptain HCL. How much should one use? The more protein, the more digestive assistance one may require. Again, a person's own digestive efficiency determines how much assistance he needs in order to handle protein in good amounts and in the proper length of time.

These busy days some people fall into the habit of missing meals. Some are just not hungry on rising, which could be due to eating too large an amount the evening before. In weight control, missing meals can be serious. Morning is the time the body needs protein more than any other time, after being without food for about twelve hours. It is important to provide protein of good quality early in the day. We feel that ideally never an hour should go by without some protein going into the stomach. Small amounts taken often - this is a valuable secret. But miss meals, never!!

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
Good post Montague!! 

One thing I def do not do is sip a shake slowly but maybe there is something to doing that.  If I'm at work or whatever I usually just down it without a second thought.

The company truly was ahead of its time, no doubt!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »
I thought this was rather cute in an amusing kind of way:

http://www.rheoblair.com/