Author Topic: Arnold's path to the White House clearer today after another Rose Garden meeting  (Read 1033 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Cali's having elections today but Arnold's at the White House. ;)

Obama Heralds New Fuel, Emission Standards
President Announces National 35.5 MPG Efficiency Standard, Pollution Reduction

President Barack Obama greets California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-Calif.) during a press conference announcing fuel efficiency standards in the Rose Garden of the White House May 19, 2009, in Washington, D.C.

Stating that "the status quo is no longer acceptable," President Barack Obama on Tuesday announced a new fuel and emission standard that he says will, at last, put the United States on the road to a cleaner environment and better fuel efficiency.

The plan creates the first-ever national emissions limits for vehicles and sets the overall or industry average fuel efficiency standard at 35.5 miles per gallon, an increase of more than 8 miles per gallon per vehicle. It is aimed at saving billions of barrels of oil, although it also is expected to cost consumers an additional $1,300 per vehicle by 2016.

"We will save 1.8 billion barrels of oil over the lifetime of the vehicles sold in the next five years," the president said. "Just to give you a sense of magnitude, that's more oil than we imported last year from Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Libya, and Nigeria combined."

Mr. Obama argued that "everyone wins" with the plan, which has been heralded both by automakers and environmentalists, despite the increase cost per vehicle. He said consumers benefit because "the cost of driving these vehicles will go down as drivers save money at the pump."

"In fact, over the life of a vehicle, the typical driver would save about $2,800 by getting better gas mileage," he said.

The plan also would effectively end a feud between automakers and statehouses over emission standards - with the states coming out on top but the automakers getting the single national standard they've been seeking and more time to make the changes.

"This is truly historic," Carol Browner, Mr. Obama's top aide on energy and climate matters, told CBS' The Early Show Tuesday.

Obama's proposed change in rules would for the first time combine pollution reduction from vehicle tailpipes with increased efficiency on the road. It would be the equivalent of "taking 58 million cars off the road for an entire year," the president said.

New vehicles would be 30 percent cleaner and more fuel-efficient by the end of the program.

The plan, to be proposed in the Federal Register of pending rules and regulations, must still clear procedural hurdles at the Environmental Protection Agency and the Transportation Department. Automakers expressed their support for the plan. "We're all agreeing to work together on a national program," said Dave McCurdy, president and CEO of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers.

Administration officials said consumers were going to pay an extra $700, anyway, for mileage standards that had already been approved. The Obama plan adds another $600 to the price of a vehicle, a senior administration official said, bringing the total cost to $1,300 by 2016.

Under the changes, the overall fleet average would have to be 35.5 mpg by 2016, with passenger cars reaching 39 mpg and light trucks hitting 30 mpg under a system that develops standards for each vehicle class size. Manufacturers would also be required to hit individual mileage targets.

Browner, who headed the EPA during the Clinton administration, said the industry told the administration "they wanted to make cleaner cars and what they needed was the government to give them predictability and certainty so that they could make the investments toward cleaner cars."

In a battle over emission standards, California, 13 other states and the District of Columbia have urged the federal government to let them enact more stringent standards than the federal government's requirements. The states' regulations would cut greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent in new cars and trucks by 2016 - the benchmark Obama planned to unveil for vehicles built in model years 2012 and beyond.

The Obama plan gives the states essentially what they sought and more, although the buildup is slower than the states sought. In exchange, though, cash-strapped states such as California would not have to develop their own standards and enforcement plan. Instead, they can rely on federal tax dollars to monitor the environment.

The auto industry will be required to ramp up production of more fuel-efficient vehicles on a much tighter timeline than originally envisioned. It will be costly; the Transportation Department last year estimated that requiring the industry to meet 31.6 mpg by 2015 would cost nearly $47 billion.

But industry officials - many of whom are running companies on emergency taxpayer dollars - said Obama's plan would help them because they would not face multiple emissions requirements and would have more certainty as they develop their vehicles for the next decade.

Auto executives, including General Motors Corp. CEO Fritz Henderson, and executives from Ford Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corp., Honda Motor Co., Daimler AG and others planned to attend the White House event along with United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger, Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
Arnold clearly wants to be the President, but he's also getting older.  Will he make it in time?  I'm not sure how the American public would react to legislation allowing a foreign-born citizen to become Prez. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
He can be a player without being prez, as already proven. He's no more than middle-aged by political standards.

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
Do you think he is crushing Obama's hand in that hand shake?

I for one, do.

ta ta
Ta ta nerds!

pumpster

• Getbig V
Do you think he is crushing Obama's hand in that hand shake?

I want to know what was said about the Obama skinny arms comment. :D

Schwarzenegger defends trip to Washington on election day

Speaking to reporters in Washington today, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger defended his decision to attend a White House ceremony announcing an agreement on fuel efficiency and vehicle emissions instead of trying to rally voters for the state’s crucial special election.

“I did vote absentee. And I'm looking forward to the outcome. Tonight, or tomorrow morning, we will know.  And I will be back tomorrow morning to bring back the good news of what happened here today, how this is a huge victory for California,” Schwarzenegger said. “And tomorrow, we will deal with the results of the election. And we will have a Big Five meeting and get together with the legislative leaders.”

Schwarzenegger rejected the suggestion that the state would be ungovernable without the passage of state budget propositions.   

“Elections are always, you win or you lose, and I think that we always will know how to move forward and make the adjustment. We always respect the will of the people,” he said. “But right now, I think, what is important today, since we don't know what the outcome is of the election, tomorrow, we will analyze that. And we will move forward according to that. But today we are going to go and celebrate this great victory.”

“During this last weekend, we negotiated and the negotiations got very intense and all of a sudden they all clicked and we came together,” Schwarzenegger said of the talks between the White House, several states, automakers and other parties on the new national fuel efficiency and emissions standards. “Then the president asked me to come here to the White House right along with [Massachusetts] Gov. [Deval] Patrick and [Michigan] Gov. [Jennifer] Granholm and our team to go and bring everyone together and to celebrate and sign this agreement. When the president asks you to come and be part of a celebration and sign an agreement, you do it, especially when you feel so passionate about the subject.”

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
no foreign born president, NO WAY!  >:(

my dad and grandfather werent born in the states.  i still think in adulthood they got love for these two trolls. 

screw arnold.  gov is good enough for his life time.
Oh...Monica!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."

It won't happen until a majority of the 50 states have legalized gay marriage.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Arnold's not even popular in his home state anymore, how's he going to run for president? The core base of his party -the Rush Limbaugh Party- despise him too.

After his term is over as the Governator, Arnold will be done with politics. I think he's sick of it and wants to go back to making big money.
!

pumpster

• Getbig V
Arnold's not even popular in his home state anymore, how's he going to run for president? The core base of his party -the Rush Limbaugh Party- despise him too.

After his term is over as the Governator, Arnold will be done with politics. I think he's sick of it and wants to go back to making big money.

He doesn't have to run for prez. Instead he can later get a nice position in the cabinet, or somewhere else that's within the levers of power at the 'house.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
he should stick to bodybuilding.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
to amend the constitution to allow naturalized citizens to run for president would take about 10 years.  by then he will be too old.

To Propose Amendments

* Two-thirds of both houses of Congress vote to propose an amendment, or

* Two-thirds of the state legislatures ask Congress to call a national convention to propose amendments. (This method has never been used.)

To Ratify Amendments

* Three-fourths of the state legislatures approve it, or

* Ratifying conventions in three-fourths of the states approve it. This method has been used only once -- to ratify the 21st Amendment -- repealing Prohibition.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
To most Americans the presidency is just another soap opera. Arnold could win if he is allowed to run.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
to amend the constitution to allow naturalized citizens to run for president would take about 10 years.  by then he will be too old.

To Propose Amendments

* Two-thirds of the state legislatures ask Congress to call a national convention to propose amendments. (This method has never been used.)

To Ratify Amendments

* Ratifying conventions in three-fourths of the states approve it. This method has been used only once -- to ratify the 21st Amendment -- repealing Prohibition.

think they'll speed it up when they prove Obama was born in Kenya?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

To Propose Amendments

To Ratify Amendments

Correct.  Would take a very long time. 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
think they'll speed it up when they prove Obama was born in Kenya?
When will that happen?  ::)
!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Arnold clearly wants to be the President, but he's also getting older.  Will he make it in time?  I'm not sure how the American public would react to legislation allowing a foreign-born citizen to become Prez. 

Arnold is a RINO of the worst order. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Maybe it should be changed to anyone who has been a citizen 35 years.  Not sure what the difference would be.  Such a person would have been an American as long as a natural born.  I can think of several arguments against but they would entail elaborate conspiracy lol...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Maybe it should be changed to anyone who has been a citizen 35 years.  Not sure what the difference would be.  Such a person would have been an American as long as a natural born.  I can think of several arguments against but they would entail elaborate conspiracy lol...

We have a constitution, lets stick to it.   

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Arnold cant even get his ballot initiatives passed in California.He has wrecked that economy.He couldnt win running for president.What would he run as?Certainly not a republican who wants higher taxes,more government control,bigger government,a tree hugger.Forget it,not a snowballs chance in hell.